As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Pc Games that Practically need a controller?

DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
edited March 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I need help tracking down some games to play with my new controller. It is for therapy on my thumb and regaining the use of it.

I need games that make good use of the controller.

My controller is a 360 wireless for windows.

I use Xpadder.

Any game you guys can reccomend would greatly be appreciated.

( Further Information )

I like just about any game except for puzzle and racing. I love platformers. Ive been giving my thumb a good workout with N and flash games on newgrounds.

I also love hack and slash.

Anything with Parkour type gameplay like Prince of Persia is a must have.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Drswords on

• admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have you played Braid and Trine?

admanb on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Tomb Raider Underworld supports the 360 controller natively without needing Xpadder. Lot of platforming in that one.

Also see about downloading Cave Story. Again, natively supports controllers from its setup menu.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Drswords wrote: »
    Anything with Parkour type gameplay like Prince of Persia is a must have.

assassin's creed I and II
    Prototype

Dunadan019 on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    More and more PC games are taking advantage of the Xbox 360 controller. Depending on which version of Windows you're using, you don't even need a third-party program like Xpadder, just plug and play (or buy some doohickey for the wireless one, then plug and play).

Anyhow, some PC games that work awesomely with the 360 controller (all of the in-game prompts change to controller buttons, etc):

Batman: Arkham Asylum
    BioShock 1
    Grand Theft Auto IV
    Prototype
    Red Faction: Guerrilla
    Tomb Raider Underworld

As a warning, some PC games that, sometimes ironically, do not support the 360 controller at all:
    Mass Effect 1 & 2
    BioShock 2
    Call Of Duty: World At War (not sure about the other CoD games)

Lawndart on
  • Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Resident Evil 4 had a lot of action sequences that needed you to use the controller. Not sure if it was put out for PC but I imagine it was.

Iceman.USAF on
  • nukanuka What are circles? Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Resident Evil 4 had a lot of action sequences that needed you to use the controller. Not sure if it was put out for PC but I imagine it was.

I copied this from Wikipedia, I was interested in this game too but the controls for the PC port are stupid as hell.

"The ratings of the PC port were not as high as for the other versions. It was heavily criticized for no mouse support and frustrating keyboard controls, low-quality FMV cut scenes, choppy graphics rendering (lacks shadows and proper lighting) and requiring a gamepad controller for better aiming and gameplay. The shadow and lighting issues were fixed in Version 1.10 patch of the game. The mouse support however, was added in by an unofficial patch. Despite the frustrating control scheme, the game still got positive reviews that praised the gameplay. GameSpot has given the game a 7.8 out of ten,[28] while IGN gave it a 7.7 out of 10.[38]"

nuka on
    DS: 2667 5365 3193 | 2DS: 2852-8590-3716
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Red Faction: Guerrilla supports it and definitely needs it. Also a pretty fun game. There isn't much by way of platforming but there is lots of fun destroying buildings with impressive physics.

A great platformer game would be Mirrors Edge which from what I've read has support, though you're best off making sure you start the game with the controller plugged in. If you like parkour you'll almost definitely like this one. You can even get an achievement for never using a gun and just running around/disabling people.

Prototype is a pretty fun game if by the end you want to feel like a crazy bad ass. Not a really a platformer, but there's a lot of fun jumping from roof top to roof top.

AC1 and 2 are pretty solid platformers as well.

Quid on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I played Overlord on the PC with a mouse and it felt crippled, so I imagine the game was built for use with a controller.

Nova_C on
  • DrswordsDrswords Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Further Update

I have AC 1 ... beat it.

I have Mirrors Edge. Beat it too.

I have Prototype. Beat it.

I have Red Faction Guerilla. Beat it.

Im not getting AC II or any new Ubisoft game because i dont like draconian DRM schemes.

I have Batman AA, beat it too.

A lot of these pc games i beat with mouse and keyboard. So other than revisiting games i already have ( and Tomb Raider which is now on my list ) what else is there?

Also, have Bioshock. Beat it.

Have GTA 4. Somehow beat it with Mouse and Keyboard.

Ill look into Trine and Braid.

Any other suggestions?

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Gametap -> Rayman

I love Rayman, so very much.

dispatch.o on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Get Psychonauts. Ten bucks on Steam, and there is a demo to try to make sure it's up your alley.

SmokeStacks on
    edited March 2010
    How about the Lego games?

Quid on
    edited March 2010
    Rayman , Check ( added to the list )

Psychonauts.. check ( added to the list )

Lego ( star wars? ) ill look into it.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2010
    I was just going through what Steam had and there was Star Wars, Indiana Jones, and Batman. I tried Star Wars and didn't care for it, but then I don't really like hack n slash. Others seem to love it though.

Quid on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I love the Lego games. I've got all of them and I can say you can't really go wrong with Star Wars or Indiana Jones for the price. Batman is a little more expensive and the weakest imo. Unless you really love Batman.

Also having a friend to play them with you enhances the experience ten-fold.

DekuStick on
  • RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I had a lot of fun playing Trine because with a pad you can play 2 player on the same computer... dont know if thats possible for you but i had tons of fun with it

RubberAC on
  • Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Deadspace has great controller support

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Have you tried Phantasy Star online? To my knowledge there is still some degree of server support for it, and it's about as hack and slash as you can get.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010
    I've been using my 360 pad for Just Cause 2. There's pretty much auto-aim for run+gun and aiming isn't really important in the game, but the 360 makes movement really nice in the game.

Also, while you say you don't like racing, some games like Burnout: Paradise only sort of halfway count as racing, since that game is more of.... open-world driving. There are races, but there are also elimination challenges, stunt challenges, out-race dudes trying to kill your car challenges, and you can just drive around for fun or try fun stunts and jumps without needing an event in fun cars. Not sure if that would be up your alley, but I quite enjoyed it.

Also, while most shooters I would say always use KBAM, sometimes I prefer cover-based tactical shooters with the pad, like R6:Vegas, I thought that worked a lot better with the pad.

Other than that, Dark Void is thoroughly mediocre, but if it's discounted(heavily) I would give it a spin. The score is fantastic, and almost worth playing the game for that reason alone.

Beyond that, just looking through my games list for the ones I use/used the pad on: Dead Space, Devil May Cry 4, Audiosurf, Need for Speed:Shift(I know... no racing games, but if you want to see a cockpit view done right, holy shit), Splinter Cell+Sequels, Sid Meier's Pirates!

Khavall on
  • Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    nuka wrote: »

I copied this from Wikipedia, I was interested in this game too but the controls for the PC port are stupid as hell.

"The ratings of the PC port were not as high as for the other versions. It was heavily criticized for no mouse support and frustrating keyboard controls, low-quality FMV cut scenes, choppy graphics rendering (lacks shadows and proper lighting) and requiring a gamepad controller for better aiming and gameplay. The shadow and lighting issues were fixed in Version 1.10 patch of the game. The mouse support however, was added in by an unofficial patch. Despite the frustrating control scheme, the game still got positive reviews that praised the gameplay. GameSpot has given the game a 7.8 out of ten,[28] while IGN gave it a 7.7 out of 10.[38]"
    There are an insane amount of mods that really raise the quality of the PC game.

Capcom had the port of RE5 done proper. And while I'm not sure about RE, I know the PC port of Devil May Cry (4, 3 is in the same shit that RE4 was) is better then both console versions.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Dragonica is a fantasy beat 'em up/MMO that is pretty fun with a controller. It is also free, so take that as you will...

My friends and I had a fun few weeks with it.

PA thread: Here

Neurotika on
    edited March 2010
    Okay... this is going to sound strange. But what is Devil May Cry?

I looked it up, and its this super cool, super hot looking guy with pistols. I like that... but i have no idea what the game is like.

He was also fighting a demon. Which is also cool.

Edit:
    Dragonica and Grand Chase are already on my list of games.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2010

I looked it up, and its this super cool, super hot looking guy with pistols. I like that... but i have no idea what the game is like.

Edit:

It's an action game. Think God of War or Ninja Gaiden, but DMC is it's own specific brand of action game. While God of War is all about brutal offense with a few dodges thrown in, and Ninja Gaiden is all about defensive fighting, the DMC games are essentially about looking as cool as possible while kicking ass. No really. While the action isn't too hard off the bat, you get extra points, which help you get more upgrades, for varying your combat moves and stringing together long chains of awesome.

Basically, though, action game.

Khavall on
  • Dunadan019Dunadan019 Registered User regular
    edited March 2010

Edit:

basically, devil may cry 4 is a 3D fighting game with a story. you enter a level, beat up a bunch of different weak and easy badguys while trying to use different moves to score combos and at the end you get a score based on how well you beat up these bad guys. every once in a while, you fight a boss. you can replay levels to get higher scores. thats basically it.

the storyline is anime-esque

Dunadan019 on
  • GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Champions Online

GungHo on
    edited March 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    Champions Online

No. Just no. I was in the alpha and beta of that. No.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2010
    Champions Online

Yes. Well, maybe. Just maybe. It's certainly worth trying out the free trial, now that there is one.

It is pretty much the only MMO that I know of that even comes close to having controller support, so it's worth including on this list.

Lawndart on
    edited March 2010
    Lawndart wrote: »
    Champions Online

Yes. Well, maybe. Just maybe. It's certainly worth trying out the free trial, now that there is one.

It is pretty much the only MMO that I know of that even comes close to having controller support, so it's worth including on this list.

Well i dont think it should NOT be on the list.... its just.. as a personal preference.. i dont like that game. As much as i hated it with mouse and keyboard, i dont see myself liking it with a controller.

Though it is a controller friendly game.

I even gave the free trial a try about 4 weeks ago... and the game really hasnt changed.

Drswords on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]