As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

RELEASE THE KRAKEN

• Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ChicoBlue wrote: »
    Let's talk about a good movie.

Let's talk about Groundhog Day.

I always like watching that movie with the director commentary track on. Same with What's Up, Doc.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Your lunar exteriors are quite convincing. How much of that is a real set, and how much is CGI?

It’s model miniatures. All the lunar exteriors were shot using that technique, which they used to do in the ‘70s and ‘80s. We had a soundstage in Shepperton Studio where we built a piece of lunar landscape, about 30 by 40 feet. We really made it look like the moon. We had these beautiful little miniature vehicles pulled across the landscape by fishing line and titanium wire. That’s basically the foundation of the visuals. We were able to expand upon it in post-production. We digitally created distance, star fields, lens flares and dirt being kicked up by the vehicles. The lens flares were a way of adding visual style to it , but it was also a way of camouflaging certain things.

How much was your budget?

About five million dollars. For a science fiction film, it’s not a lot.

How extensive was your use of CGI?

I can’t really give you a fraction, but we tried to capture as much in camera as possible. The interior of the base is entirely live action. We used CGI for a couple key moments where Gerty is moving around the base, because it was just too difficult to use physical props. For the lunar landscape, like I said, we used miniatures but did certain things with CGI.

How big was your set of the base?

It was amazing. It was a completely encompassing, 360-degree set of the entire base. We went in the airlock in the morning. Most of the lighting was built into the base itself, so when we were shooting, it was like being on location. No matter where the camera pointed, it was like being on the base.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If I'm not mistaken, Sunshine's set was also really extensive.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    RobchamRobcham The Rabbit King of your pantsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God, I love Moon and Sunshine

whoa thematic presence

Robcham on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the first 90 percent of sunshine is super awesome and then it turns into a horror movie for no real reason

annoying

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    chris evans was pretty great in sunshine

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    Hey you know what's interesting about Moon

there was very little CGI in it

all the moon shots and such were actually scale models

what was CGI about half the time is pretty surprising - Gerty

i noticed this the second time i watched it

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] regular
    edited April 2010
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

[Deleted User] on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    Hey you know what's interesting about Moon

there was very little CGI in it

all the moon shots and such were actually scale models

what was CGI about half the time is pretty surprising - Gerty

i noticed this the second time i watched it

scale models own

this is why 2001 still looks impressive today, despite being 42 years old

ditto star wars

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    holy god, I just watched the Attack of the Clones review

it's honestly like being disappointed by the prequels all over again

I never understood just how bad those movies are! I knew they were bad, but yeeessshhh

YaYa on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I loved part 5

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wow. There's a PDF of the scanned script to the Star Wars Holiday Special. And it actually explains what some of the wookie growls were supposed to mean.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i was expecting a truly epic fight (rather, hoping for an epic fight - and knowing i won't get it because ep3 is ridiculously awful throughout), and instead we got anakin blatantly disregarding an obvious disadvantage and going down like a total bitch

fucking lucas

Did anyone else think it was weird that Obi-Wan kept going on about the high ground like it was a callback to some earlier statement about lightsaber technique that the high ground is crucial

Like, why would that fucking matter to magic men who can levitate things with their mind and move super fast and so on?

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    i was expecting a truly epic fight (rather, hoping for an epic fight - and knowing i won't get it because ep3 is ridiculously awful throughout), and instead we got anakin blatantly disregarding an obvious disadvantage and going down like a total bitch

fucking lucas

Did anyone else think it was weird that Obi-Wan kept going on about the high ground like it was a callback to some earlier statement about lightsaber technique that the high ground is crucial

Like, why would that fucking matter to magic men who can levitate things with their mind and move super fast and so on?

Because suddenly actual combat pros and cons meant something to mystical ninja warrior monks with laser swords. It's like a cartoon character can run across a pit or a canyon unless they look down, then the reality of gravity sets in.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    1138m.jpg

This high ground wasn't good enough?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I love the repeated shots of Kirk looking thoughtful and sad in the Star Trek review

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think that was the big let down between the fight scene in Phantom Menace and the fight scene in Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace used some background as a tool for the combat, but it was like 1/10 as much. Ob-Wan falls a few platforms down and force jumps up, that's kind of cool. The laser gate thing to separate your opponents, that makes sense Mr. Sith lord...good going. Mostly it was guys going head to head with laser swords and fighting. It was good stuff.

In Revenge, it was a clusterfuck of climbing towers over lava and having burning embers flying every goddamn where except maybe in a character's face. Really...only clothing might get a burn?

Then they surfed in lava. After crashing a tower into lava. Lava.

Lava is fucking hot. Even being that close to lava would give you a nice tan and cook your innards. The jedi...they play in that shit.

Hunter on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »

fucking lucas

Because suddenly actual combat pros and cons meant something to mystical ninja warrior monks with laser swords. It's like a cartoon character can run across a pit or a canyon unless they look down, then the reality of gravity sets in.

hahahaha

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can anyone explain what exactly happened to Lucas? The dude at one point was a groundbreaking filmmaker. THX 1138 is pretty damn great.

Has he always just managed to surround himself with people that knew what they were doing and didn't take his bullshit, like with Han's "I Know" line?
    Well, it helped that he wasn't the director on Empire.

QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I think that was the big let down between the fight scene in Phantom Menace and the fight scene in Revenge of the Sith. The Phantom Menace used some background as a tool for the combat, but it was like 1/10 as much. Ob-Wan falls a few platforms down and force jumps up, that's kind of cool. The laser gate thing to separate your opponents, that makes sense Mr. Sith lord...good going. Mostly it was guys going head to head with laser swords and fighting. It was good stuff.

In Revenge, it was a clusterfuck of climbing towers over lava and having burning embers flying every goddamn where except maybe in a character's face. Really...only clothing might get a burn?

Lava is fucking hot. Even being that close to lava would give you a nice tan and cook your innards. The jedi...they play in that shit.

except that the whole fight scene in phantom menace is also retarded

like he says in his phantom menace review, we see them use their force speed at the beginning of the film
    we know they can move super fast

and then the stupid laser gates (which were also kind of stupid, obviously just there because he wanted to separate them but didn't make any sense at all) start to close and he's just like, "oh man I can't run through that in time"

"oh shit, guess I should have used my force speed.."

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Druhim wrote: »

like he says in his phantom menace review, we see them use their force speed at the beginning of the film

and then the stupid laser gates (which were also kind of stupid, obviously just there because he wanted to separate them but didn't make any sense at all) start to close and he's just like, "oh man I can't run through that in time"

Obi didn't have a mana potion. He didn't prepare for the raid to face the end boss and it got his tank killed.

Hunter on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Obi didn't have a mana potion. He didn't prepare for the raid to face the end boss and it got his tank killed.

<3

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It was kinda cool though to see them use all the force powers you hear about though.

It would have been nice though if there were say more purple doors and they used force speed but still didn't make it or something.

Blake T on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah it would have also been nice if they didn't look like 2 teen girls dancing around doing some choreographed sword routine they learned for their local martial arts performance tournament.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    more boobs the better

Robcham on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the main problem was that so much of what was thrown on the screen was just there because he thought hey this'll look really cool but he neglected to consider if it actually all fit together and forgot that he's a terrible director and can't write good dialog so you see lots of flashy shit going on, but you don't care about any of it because he forgot to give you any reasons to care

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I love that guy's reaction when lucas is telling him that everyone has been waiting to see Yoda use his light saber.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the main problem was that so much of what was thrown on the screen was just there because he thought hey this'll look really cool but he neglected to consider if it actually all fit together and forgot that he's a terrible director and can't write good dialog so you see lots of flashy shit going on, but you don't care about any of it because he forgot to give you any reasons to care
    The saddest part is that Lucas actually remembers all this, but he's already made the movie. Those scenes from the Episode I review, where George and Rick and pals are watching the movie for the first time and everyone is in shock over how awful it is, and George kinda looks away and says, "I might have overdone it" - brutal!

I think that's the moment when he knew he made a bad movie, but also that it was too late to do anything about it.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And then he went and did it 2 more times.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, I didn't say he learned anything.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    I love that guy's reaction when lucas is telling him that everyone has been waiting to see Yoda use his light saber.
    Look to be fair, Yoda taking out his lightsaber was like in the top ten bossest things ever.

The fight on the other hand....

Blake T on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't remember much of Revenge of the Sith. I've only seen it once. This is a bit ironic, because I'm sure I've seen Episode I over ten times and even own it on VHS.

Platy on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I finally threw away my old star wars VHS's. not the original release, of course, just the ones they rereleased in the 90's. I figured if the world gets to the point where I have to watch movies on VHS I'm sure there will be more important things to worry about.

But on the topic at hand, the only way to watch Episode 2 is on DVD, and by skipping all Naboo and Tatooine chapters.

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I had always held that the prequels got better as they went along, but after watching that review I don't think I can defend Episode II on those grounds any more

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    also there needs to be a Lando movie

who would be able to replace a young Billy Dee in this day and age?

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know

Until I watched that Episode I review, I had completely forgotten about that scene in Ep I where they use Force super-speed

Like I had just completely erased it from my mind or something, when it showed up I was like "What the hell just happened?"

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like Episode I more than the other two. On the other hand, I was still young when I first saw it in cinema and thus easily able to look away over most of its flaws.

Platy on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Where this Episode I review be

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Where this Episode I review be

It's a youtube video series. I think it's called red tent? All of his reviews are really, really funny (and bring up good criticism), but the Episode I review is scathing, and long. It's 7 or so parts to his usual 3 or 4.

edit: his Avatar review is also really good. His other ones are all Star Trek movies, and some of his critique is from a fan of the television series perspective.

That is to say, they're not really good points to review a movie by, but why a fan would be unhappy. And he'll complain about them making stuff up as they go along, which is the definition of Star Trek.

Langly on