As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Great Foodening - PAX Foodie Destinations

• Options
    fizzywixfizzywix Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I am looking to hunt down some geoduck.

fizzywix on
  • Options
    GamingGoddessGamingGoddess Profesh Nerd Phoenix, AZRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When I went to top pot last year, I was fully pleased!

GamingGoddess on
    Time off[x] Fri-Mon Badges[x] Hotel[x] Plane tickets[x] Pre-Pax plans[TBA] Cosplay[in progress]
    "Pictochat? No. Dicktochat!"
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    fizzywix wrote: »
    I am looking to hunt down some geoduck.

it's really easy to find in Seattle, so it's not like you have to look that hard

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    EmerezEmerez Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ah but have you tried Frost out in Mill Creek yet? The salted caramel old fashioneds are really really good (too far of a go now that we go car-less). I'm afraid I was spoiled by a bakery on the east coast. :winky: Since settling here a month ago I've been surpised that a place that worships coffee so much hides the bakeries away from view... at least in der Eastside. I saw a place in Old Bellevue but it looks like they primarily do cakey type things instead of danishes, strudels, and donuts. :(

Emerez on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    well that's because the eastside is a wasteland of strip malls

the good stuff is mostly in or near the city

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    umi sake house is fucking epic.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Since I didn't see it posted and it makes me sad...

Chez Shea - About 7 blocks from the convention center on 1st and Pike. The food is fantastic (best escargot I've ever had) and the prices are good (compared to other fancy French places). Great place to take your SO for a date night, especially if they are a reluctant participant in PAX.

ravemonger on
  • Options
    lemongrenadeslemongrenades Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just read the OP. Overwhelmed. I may need to come to Seattle even earlier/stay even later.

lemongrenades on
  • Options
    KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Will definitely be going to Honey Hole this year.

I was so excited to go last year after hearing such great things and we ended up not. :(

KnifeySpoony on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I was so excited to go last year after hearing such great things and we ended up not. :(

If you really want to go be sure to go on very off hours. Honey Hole is a very small place and often has waits of 15-20 minutes. Probably longer during times like Saturday at noon. PAX is only going to make that worse. So, really just have a backup plan of somewhere else to eat. I'd suggest the Six Arms. It's only a few blocks away and has good food and a lot more seating. Though it's a few blocks toward the convention center, so it may be even worse.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    KnifeySpoonyKnifeySpoony Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Cronus wrote: »

If you really want to go be sure to go on very off hours. Honey Hole is a very small place and often has waits of 15-20 minutes. Probably longer during times like Saturday at noon. PAX is only going to make that worse. So, really just have a backup plan of somewhere else to eat. I'd suggest the Six Arms. It's only a few blocks away and has good food and a lot more seating. Though it's a few blocks toward the convention center, so it may be even worse.

Yeah, that's the main reason why we didn't go last year. I plan on making my group eat there on our downtime Thursday. :)

Thanks for the other suggestion! I will keep that on the list of fooderies.

KnifeySpoony on
  • Options
    mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Emerez wrote: »
    Ah but have you tried Frost out in Mill Creek yet? The salted caramel old fashioneds are really really good (too far of a go now that we go car-less). I'm afraid I was spoiled by a bakery on the east coast. :winky: Since settling here a month ago I've been surpised that a place that worships coffee so much hides the bakeries away from view... at least in der Eastside. I saw a place in Old Bellevue but it looks like they primarily do cakey type things instead of danishes, strudels, and donuts. :(

Mill fucking Creek? Okay.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    well that's because the eastside is a wasteland of strip malls

the good stuff is mostly in or near the city

Theres actually a few good things in the strip malls but they're few and far between.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well, that's why I said mostly

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    well, that's why I said mostly

Not so surprisingly, almost everything is in a strip mall though. Two places that immedietly come to mind are Goldberg's and Mediterranean Kitchen. But I don't spend much time on the East Side.

there was an article a long long time ago in Bon Appetite or Gourmet or some magazine talking about all the amazing Chinese Seafood places located in strip malls in the Bay Area and it mentioned a place in the town I grew up. Who knew right? I went and it was amazing.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not talking about strip malls in general though. I'm talking about the east side compared to Seattle.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm not talking about strip malls in general though. I'm talking about the east side compared to Seattle.

You know, about the only thing that beats Seattle on the the east side is indian food. That's it. Everything else is claim jumper esque with a few bright spots.

mrt144 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I still remember when Redmond Town Center first opened and was the pride of Redmond, but the last time I was out there it seemed like it was really hurting and a lot of people had lost their interest in it. Maybe that's turned around some since then though. It's been at least a couple of years since I've been through Redmond.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ravemongerravemonger [E] Silicon ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I spent a week at the RTC Hyatt last month and the whole place was pretty quiet. The movie theater there is really nice though.

ravemonger on
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I have a question: what's the absolute best pizza place that either delivers to the Sheraton or is an easy walk? NY-style thin crust is preferred but anything short of Chicago-style deep dish is fine.

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    uh, that's a matter of opinion?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    cabsycabsy the fattest rainbow unicorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll change it to "what would you recommend," is that better?

cabsy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Serious Pie is quite good, but I don't know if it meets your exacting standards.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Serious Pie is quite good, but I don't know if it meets your exacting standards.

WOW are we breaking wilws law? Regardless serious pie is great. They don't deliver and it gets rather crowded at times. It is at least in my book the best pizza place in seattle.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    BlackWolfBuddhaBlackWolfBuddha Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My friend and I are looking to see if you guys want more locations added to the current map

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&gl=us&ie=UTF8&oe=UTF8&msa=0&msid=105013859693686880381.000489f25b167a8f25fec

BlackWolfBuddha on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    what the hell is wilws law? who is wilw?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    what the hell is wilws law? who is wilw?

Wil Wheaton

Wheaton's Law:
    Don't be a dick.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    oh
    ok
    how was I a dick?

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    oh
    ok
    how was I a dick?

I'm still trying to figure that one out.

Ze googles, zey do nothing!

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    ok, thanks
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't get that :)

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    King's BBQ is really close by. Its in the international district on the same block as Pink Gorilla.

4.75 buys you a ton of rice with 1 choice of meat
    6.00 buys you a ton of rice with 2 choices of meat

NovaFlares on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Also, I'd like to add some tips regarding going to Salumi. First off, I love Salumi. They do excellent cured meats, they're super nice people, and I just adore the place and love what they do. However, Salumi isn't an experience that everyone will dig. It's a tiny space with limited shared seating. If there's even any seats available (they get very busy at lunch time), you are going to have to sit with strangers. If you can't handle that, get it to go. Personally, I really dig sitting down at a big table with a bunch of strangers for lunch.

Also, if you're vegetarian, give it a miss. THEY DO CURED MEATS, it should be a no-brainer but I'm sure some people would still go and then complain about all the cruel meat hanging on hooks or how they had to settle for a salad. Got nothing against vegetarians, but this place ain't for you.

If you think all cured meats taste the same and don't really care for them (one review on yelp simply called all their meats "salted meat") then don't bother. They do fantastic salamis and other cured meats like coppa and culatello. There are typically long lines, and it will likely take you at least half an hour to get through the line, place your order, and get your food. Don't go if you're going to be that guy that's going to later complain that you could have just gone to subway and got a sandwich in 5 minutes.

So just a heads up so there aren't as many people that just heard Salumi is great and didn't dig any deeper and then are pissed off and disappointed because they were expecting something completely different.

edit: also, make sure you know when they're open. They're only open Tues-Fri from 11 am-4 pm. So you can forget about going there over the weekend. If you can, I'd recommend going after the lunch rush when the lines won't be as long, after 1:30 or so.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    ZerhackermanZerhackerman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I did a quick search on the thread and I didnt see The Two Bells mentioned. jump in a cab at the convention center, or nearby, and just bellow at the driver "To the Two Bells!" and you will be there in minutes. And it wont cost as much as a pair of beers, I'm certain. It will be well worth it, either way. The Hot link sandwich is a four napkin meal. And when they ask about a side - do the baked beans. house made. dessert and a side all mixed into one.

And if that doesnt suit your needs, then the 5 point is just a quick stroll down the street. or the other direction for the Pacific Kitchen, if your credit can take it.

Zerhackerman on
  • Options
    KaneKane Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just thought I'd throw out a couple as a local. Not a vegetarian but still a BIG fan of In the Bowl Thai Vegetarian on Olive near Summit. Also, Chopsticks, on a good night, is REALLY good teriyaki. On a bad night, really mediocre. That said, I think they are worth the risk. If you want possibly the greatest food ever made, Annapurna on Broadway and Denny is incredible. Nepalese/Tibetan. Very similar to Indian but richer and everything is home made including the Chai. Further up Broadway, you will find Byzantium which has amazing Greek.

Kane on
  • Options
    CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Kane wrote: »
    Just thought I'd throw out a couple as a local. Not a vegetarian but still a BIG fan of In the Bowl Thai Vegetarian on Olive near Summit. Also, Chopsticks, on a good night, is REALLY good teriyaki. On a bad night, really mediocre. That said, I think they are worth the risk. If you want possibly the greatest food ever made, Annapurna on Broadway and Denny is incredible. Nepalese/Tibetan. Very similar to Indian but richer and everything is home made including the Chai. Further up Broadway, you will find Byzantium which has amazing Greek.

Good list. My one change to this list is that I would recommend Kings Teriyaki, next to Annapurna over Chopsticks. I've always found Chopsticks to be lacking and it seems more of the place to eat after a night of drinking at all the local bars while Kings is where the SCCC students eat.

The Broadway Grill is the place to go for breakfast Saturday or Sunday morning. They have a breakfast buffet that is fantastic. It has a lot of options and you get a Mimosa with it.

Charlies on Broadway is a great place when you want good American food. It's a good place when your group can't decide what type of food to eat and is always a safe bet.

I could go on as I'm sure Kane could but in the end almost all the restaurants of Broadway are good if not great. You can also get a Choclate Martini at Dillantes if you're up for dessert.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
  • Options
    SolinusSolinus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, is there a PAX foodie meet up? Maybe somebody should start another thread?

I was thinking of going to Salumi for charcuterie Thursday @ lunch (since sadly their famous dinners are only for friends) and it would be fun to go with more people to wait in line.

Other places I am wanting to try (over 6 days): Tango, Baguette Box, Matt's, Market Grill, Le Pichet, Dahlia, Steelhead, Canlis, and HerbFarm.

Solinus on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know how much interest there is in a foodie meet up but personally I already have people I'm going to be doing stuff with. But if you think there should be such a meet up, step up to the plate and plan it, then let people know about it. They'll come or they won't.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I heartily recommend Jimmy Johns sandwiches. They are nothing incredibly good... but they are very good sandwiches. Most importantly, they are fast and reasonably priced.

I recommend the Italian Night Club, extra dressing.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Considering that Jimmy Johns is a national sandwich chain that can be found all across the country, I don't see how that can be recommended in a PAX foodie thread.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    edgeofbladeedgeofblade Warlock Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Considering that Jimmy Johns is a national sandwich chain that can be found all across the country, I don't see how that can be recommended in a PAX foodie thread.
    I would like to compile a list of awesome places to eat that are close enough to the convention center that someone can walk or catch a quick cab/bus to go eat there.

Aside from meeting the OP's criteria, above:
    • Yes, it is a national chain. Thank you for pointing that out. To what effect? I'm not sure.
    • There are a lot of people who have never heard of Jimmy Johns.
    • In terms of foodies, many people will swear by Jimmy Johns as foodies.
    • It's cheap, tasty, fresh, fast con-food. I expect to eat there at least once.

edgeofblade on
    6YJGH2V.png
This discussion has been closed.