As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

West Coast Train Trip: 4th Annual! - T-Shirts have arrived!

• ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Arikado wrote: »
    I have a WiFi adapter that I don't use.

Let me know if you want me to pack it.

Please do.

Turns out I gave it to my cousin last month. Sorry. :(

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • MarySueMarySue Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Ok, if I *were* to go to Voodoo Doughnuts tomorrow on my lunch hour, how many people would want Maple Bacon Bars? I'd like to plan ahead so no one is disappointed and misses out on the disgustingness (I hate maple bars, it's a thing, even the bacon doesn't redeem 'em for me).

(And if you know of other flavors you like, also speak up.)

MarySue on
    Portland, Oregon, and sloe gin fizz. If that ain't love, then tell me what is.
    +++BRONYS BEFORE BROS!+++
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    MarySue wrote: »
    Ok, if I *were* to go to Voodoo Doughnuts tomorrow on my lunch hour, how many people would want Maple Bacon Bars? I'd like to plan ahead so no one is disappointed and misses out on the disgustingness (I hate maple bars, it's a thing, even the bacon doesn't redeem 'em for me).

I would totally be down for one.

SlickShughes on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Alright, confirmed card/board games for bringing right now:

Death Angel
    Zombie Dice
    Bananagrams
    Spot It
    The Resistance

Still under consideration:
    Race for the Galaxy + all expansions
    Shadow Hunters + expansion
    Catacombs
    I'm bringing RftG plus two expansions (I heard there were some balance issues in the most recent one so I haven't picked it up yet) so I've got that 75% covered. =P

Inquisitor and I are at Union Station already, so we'll be keeping an eye out for other PAXTrainers.

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • JusticeRobinJusticeRobin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

One for my group, please, and one something else-- I'm totally with you on maple bars. Ew. Glazed old-fashioned are my favorite but anything non-maply is good.

We're grabbing dinner near SJC early with the friend we're mooching a ride off of. I'll probably have my fuzzy d20s on one of my bags to mark us (assuming we aren't totally obvious dorks anyway). We'd be fine to watch piles of bags for the late-eating crew if necessary.

JusticeRobin on
  • UpthornUpthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Boneshaker is my planned on board reading.

I don't understand. When are you going to have time to read on this train?

Upthorn on
  • contrefaitcontrefait Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

I would totally be down for one.

Me too.

contrefait on
    PAX East 2016 Checklist
    Passes: ▬ Hotel: ▬ Flight: [color=red]☑[/color]
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Upthorn wrote: »
    Boneshaker is my planned on board reading.

I don't understand. When are you going to have time to read on this train?

Have you been previous years?

Partying on PAXtrain is awesome, but eventually you just get a bit overloaded (usually around 2 PM on Thursday for me) and want to take an hour or two to decompress by yourself before rejoining the festivities.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • slap.your.mammyslap.your.mammy Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey San Jose party people. I will be meeting you at the station around 6:30.
    I should be pretty easy to recognize. I fell off my bike last night and looking pretty badass. I will also probably be wearing a Pax Train shirt from last year.
    Anyways, I am super excited and am looking forward to meeting you guys!

slap.your.mammy on
  • BelgandBelgand Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Alright, confirmed card/board games for bringing right now:

Death Angel
    Zombie Dice
    Bananagrams
    Spot It
    The Resistance

Still under consideration:
    Race for the Galaxy + all expansions
    Shadow Hunters + expansion
    Catacombs

I can confirm that I will be bringing:

Battlestar Galactica
    Luna Llena
    Chez Geek
    a pair of Ravnica-era Magic decks (I didn't want to take the old Unlimited/Revised cards out on the road).

I play Race for the Galaxy, but... eh, I've played a ton of games of it and for me this is a chance to bring out some more social stuff and things that don't hit the table quite as often. I'd like to bring along Tales of the Arabian Nights because, well, there's basically no teaching and it's a wonderful party game, but it's probably the heaviest game I own. Worse than Twilight Imperium or any of the other Fantasy Flight coffin box games. That giant book really weighs it down.

Still, nothing beats a game where you can end up with leprosy and on the run from an angry sorcerer, but you can't go into town during your adventures because otherwise you'll have trouble with your wife if you're not back soon. And then you get magically gender-swapped by a fickle djinn.

I'll probably take a pass on them as I find this current trend for bacon (and the evolved and even worse trend for maple-bacon) to be tedious. I never thought something could reduce my love of bacon, but this has. When you can go to a the vegan cafe run by a pirate radio station and order a maple bacon latte it's officially gone too far.

I tend to be partial to cream and jelly fillings and my Player2 is down with just about anything.

Belgand on
    edited September 2010
    I hate to double-post, but it just occurred to me: do we have any plans regarding movie night so far? I've got a couple of options I could bring along, but since I don't personally have any method of playing back DVDs I won't be bringing them otherwise.

I also have the first season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (fansub) and the second season of Spaced on an old DVD that I keep meaning to replace now that both have been licensed in the US. Still a nice geek compilation though. Neither is authored out to DVD either so we'd need something that can play raw media formats.

Aside from that my possible suggestions would be:

Goonies
    Spaceballs
    Clerks: The Animated Series
    Big Trouble in Little China
    Killer Klowns from Outer Space
    Serenity
    Sneakers (fun fact: the cafe they meet at to exchange the box is currently Google's SF offices)
    Real Genius
    Tron
    UHF
    Shaun of the Dead
    Anything Monty Python has done other than Live at the Hollywood Bowl or the compilations

Belgand on
    edited September 2010
    For DVDs, I'm bringing Army of Darkness and Battle Royale.

I've also got 2 episodes of rifftrax on my mp3 player/hard drive, Star Trek (the new one) and The Running Man.

Raiden333 on
  • emperorsargosaemperorsargosa Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm bringing Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

I've never seen it before, but it came in on my Netflix and I've heard its awesome.

emperorsargosa on
    edited September 2010
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I've also got 2 episodes of rifftrax on my mp3 player/hard drive, Star Trek (the new one) and The Running Man.

What version of Battle Royale is it? Is it the special edition cut (the one in the blue box) with the wonky subtitles in the added scenes, the original cut, or some other home-made or less common import? The lack of a version that meets my picky requirements is probably the only reason I don't own it right now.

I'm almost tempted to bring Oldboy and make it a Thing. I just wasn't sure how well subtitled fare would go over in this environment. I try to avoid it during my usual movie nights because it can be hard enough to pay attention.
    I'm bringing Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai.

I've never seen it before, but it came in on my Netflix and I've heard its awesome.

I found it far less awesome than I wanted it to be (and kind of sub-par really). That still didn't keep me from using it's quotations of The Book of the Five Rings to help write a paper on the same for a college course covering the history of the samurai. The actual book, despite being pre-ordered before the semester even started, never showed up in the bookstore and I couldn't find another copy easily so that was my best option at the time. I somehow managed to get an A, IIRC.

Belgand on
    edited September 2010
    Oh god, Oldboy is such a disturbing (but fantastic) film.

emperorsargosa on
    edited September 2010
    Belgand wrote: »

What version of Battle Royale is it? Is it the special edition cut (the one in the blue box) with the wonky subtitles in the added scenes, the original cut, or some other home-made or less common import? The lack of a version that meets my picky requirements is probably the only reason I don't own it right now.

"Special Director's Cut Edition"

Didn't notice anything wrong with it myself.

Also, I said I'd post a picture of me so people know who to look for at the San Jose station. Current plan is for my group to get there no later than 6 PM:

3ED03.jpg

I'm gonna trim my goatee up a bit before I leave though:

Raiden333 on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    That's a mighty beard you've grown since last year.

cheez on
    edited September 2010
    cheez wrote: »
    That's a mighty beard you've grown since last year.

That's a mighty beard I've grown since June.

Raiden333 on
    edited September 2010
    That shirt wins all sorts of win. See you SJC folks in a couple of hours, the rest of you around 9!

(I'm having oh-my-god-am-i-prepared attacks right now...)

emperorsargosa on
    edited September 2010

Disturbing? o_O Sometimes I have trouble understanding people who didn't watch Eraserhead and Videodrome as a child.

"Special Director's Cut Edition"

Didn't notice anything wrong with it myself.

There's nothing quite wrong with it, per se, but if it's the version I'm thinking of the subtitles in some of the new scenes are... not good. It's nothing you can't get past if you've seen it before and it's only a few scenes, but it's pretty Engrishy.

"The knife, that I stabed of you, still I care of it. Sometimes I thought I just threw it. But, now it's my treasure. It's secret, between you and me... "

On the upside it has excellent video and audio quality and I usually feel that the special edition scenes and tweaks make up for the flaws. I'm totally looking forward to a chance to watch this again.

I'll probably end up bringing Oldboy and Sneakers. I don't think I've ever been in a group of geeks that didn't enjoy Sneakers.

Belgand on
  • nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Just packed. Into the bag went:

Travel Carcassonne
    Lost Cities
    Ticket to Ride (card)
    We Didn't Play Test This
    Gloom
    Are You a Werewolf?

I'm assuming there will be a bunch of various Fluxx, so am not packing it this time.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • JusticeRobinJusticeRobin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    DVDs packed:
    Real Genius (the disc is well loved but it *should* play)
    Star Trek (new one)
    Army of Darkness (someone already claimed it, but it never hurts to have a spare)
    Dr. Horrible

Games packed:
    Munchkin + Cthulhu + Dungeons of Doom (and Rigged Demo if necessary)

JusticeRobin on
  • MobiusDoppelgangerMobiusDoppelganger Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    bringing ticket to ride (board game) (US & europe)

MobiusDoppelganger on
    edited September 2010
    I'm bringing Princess Bride, as I've just discovered that contrefait has never seen it!

For games:
    Roll through the Ages
    Zombie Dice
    Mystery Express (train clue)
    Zombie Fluxx

Also again I'll be running D&D, though I've had to scale my plans back a bit. I think everything should still work out.

SlickShughes on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Bringing Monty Python Fluxx, which I picked up a couple weeks ago specifically for this.

cheez on
  • grim123grim123 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I'm bringing Princess Bride, as I've just discovered that contrefait has never seen it!

For games:
    Roll through the Ages
    Zombie Dice
    Mystery Express (train clue)
    Zombie Fluxx

Also again I'll be running D&D, though I've had to scale my plans back a bit. I think everything should still work out.

what how is that possible?
    Also if I can find it I can bring big trouble in little china.
    anyone up for some red dwarf?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    grim123 wrote: »

I know, right? I say we tie him to a chair and tape his eyes open.

SlickShughes on
    edited September 2010
    I say we tie him to a chair and tape his eyes open.

Standard operating procedures

emperorsargosa on
    edited September 2010
    grim123 wrote: »

I know, right? I say we tie him to a chair and tape his eyes open.

Tape? What are we, savages? I've got some lidlocks lying around that I can easily bring.

Belgand on
  • UpthornUpthorn Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My mom made me like, a gallon of peanut butter cookies for the train trip, so I'll be bringing those and donating them to the cookie brigade.

Upthorn on
    edited September 2010
    oh I'm going to bring top secret on dvd to watch

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    On the train. I highly recommend the asian rib meat for the dinner entrée. Very tasty.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
    edited September 2010
    wonder what time
    i should leave fro the train station?
    anyone else that's getting on at Martinez still around?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
    edited September 2010
    Starting out PAXtrain trip in the party van from Hayward to Oakland.

Wooooooooooooooooooooooo!

SlickShughes on
  • kazuokazuo Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Disturbing? o_O Sometimes I have trouble understanding people who didn't watch Eraserhead and Videodrome as a child.

Uh, yeah bro,
    generally speaking, people find a father fucking his daughter fairly disturbing.

Anyway, that aside, anyone got pics of what's going down on the train?

kazuo on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Welps, I'm at the Chop Bar at the Jack London Square station.

Pity I didn't find this place on my last Amtrak trip

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • ViRGEViRGE Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    causabon wrote: »
    ViRGE wrote: »
    Since some of you have done this before, what's King Street Station like? I'm being picked up and looking at Google Maps there's no clear passenger loading/unloading area. How exactly does that work for someone not looking to park?

There's a driveway and passenger load zone on the west side of the station, though it's usually full of taxis. There's also plenty of street parking on that side of the station, especially on King Street and 2nd Ave., and it's never full outside of business hours and sporting events. Those are your best points for meeting someone outside. There's no good passenger pickup point on the east side of the station (4th Ave.), and don't believe Google Maps about the south side either - Weller doesn't go through, that's actually a pedestrian bridge!
    That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks mate.:)

ViRGE on
  • Sir PenguinSir Penguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I just got back from rescuing my mother and 90-year old grandmother from a trainload of you guys. :lol:
    Apparently they dined with a couple of you or something and had a good time talking.
    I'm looking forward to maybe taking the train up there with all of you next year, but seeing as I can't this year, I'll just wish you all a happy PAX! :D

Sir Penguin on
    edited September 2010
    well I'm on the train so now what?

grim123 on
    Aww nutsack.
    steam_sig.png
  • TimeCruiserMikeTimeCruiserMike Past Organizer of the West Coast Train Trip San Fernando ValleyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    if you haven't yet. make your way to the observation car introduce your self to people, come on down stairs to the snack lounge and grab a forum badge from me. also i think there is still rock band going on downstairs in car 12

TimeCruiserMike on
    SkOelFN.png
    {Fondly remembers the PAXTrain}
This discussion has been closed.