As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Stupid Idea # 143: Peltier Cooled Hookah

LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
So I've taken to smoking Hookah - flavored tobacco through a water pipe.

I've noticed that the taste is much better and smoother when there is a lot of ice in the water, so the smoke gets cooled down a bunch.

I am thinking about putting a peltier unit around a copper coil to cool the smoke down to obnoxious temperatures. I'd have some old heat sink on the hot side of the peltier with some water in it maybe to keep the temperature down on the hot side.

Is this the best idea, or a terrible idea?

Legionnaired on

• RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Go for it, it's a good practical engineering exercise. Let us know how it works out for you on the 20th. Protip: order your pizza a few days in advance though.

Robman on
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    None of that whacky shit - this is just plain tobacco for taste and non-cigarette nicotine.

I found a 245 W peltier unit online for $35 - would definately do the job, now I've just gotta rip the power supply out of an old computer to power the thing.

Legionnaired on
  • JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah I'm a pretty avid hookah smoker, so let me know how it works.

Color me intrigued.

Jokerman on
    edited April 2010
    The plan at present:
    1. Use coil of copper tube in the basement to augment the chamber-to-hose line.
    2. Use 2 138 watt peltier units and an old ATX power supply to supply the coolant to the block
    3. Have a reservoir of water with an immersed heat sink to trap the excess heat (Water has a high specific heat)
    4. Use hot water to make tea.
    5. Enjoy frosty smoke

Will post pictures.

Legionnaired on
  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would believe that very cold air is just as painful as very hot air, so don't go too overboard.

Satsumomo on
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was under the impression that you want vapor water to attach to your smoke molecules. This won't happen with very cold water.

Awk on
    edited April 2010
    Glycerin (in the goop) is hygroscopic, so it's going to absorb water from pretty much anywhere at any temperature.

You're still smoking tobacco. It's still bad for you. If it bothers you, don't do it.

A lot of places actually charge extra to serve it in a big bowl of ice. Lot smoother that way.

Legionnaired on
  • ScrubletScrublet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is the most hilarious idea I've seen in awhile but I'm still really curious to see how it turns out.

Scrublet on
    subedii wrote: »
    I hear PC gaming is huge off the coast of Somalia right now.

PSN: TheScrublet
  • CarolinaBBQCarolinaBBQ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ever add vodka to that icy mix? delicious! plus sometimes you can find bags that make tiny little ice cubes at the grocery....even better.

CarolinaBBQ on
    Scri33le.png