As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX East '11 Costumes!

• Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    ezickl wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going as a Team Rocket Grunt, watch out PAX Pokemon League! (And please don't fire me, Matev). I might also go as the TF2 Medic.

Oh man, I really want to go as a Rocket Grunt when I'm not the witch. Whether or not I get around to doing the costume, I'm TOTALLY challenging the PAX PL.

Btw, a little tidbit: "pax" in Latin is the genitive singular form of the word "peace". This is significant because that means "pax east" translates to "peace of the east". I think we brought ultimate awesomeness to the east coast, guys.

And thanks, exmerlin! (:

Oh my goodness! I have been planning my Rocket Grunt costume for months now. I know I don't get here on the forums much but I am SO pumped for this costume. We should totally get together and cause some Team Rocket mayhem!!!

Soyduck on
  • Options
    HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Soyduck wrote: »
    I'm thinking of going as a Team Rocket Grunt, watch out PAX Pokemon League! (And please don't fire me, Matev). I might also go as the TF2 Medic.

Oh man, I really want to go as a Rocket Grunt when I'm not the witch. Whether or not I get around to doing the costume, I'm TOTALLY challenging the PAX PL.

Btw, a little tidbit: "pax" in Latin is the genitive singular form of the word "peace". This is significant because that means "pax east" translates to "peace of the east". I think we brought ultimate awesomeness to the east coast, guys.

And thanks, exmerlin! (:

Oh my goodness! I have been planning my Rocket Grunt costume for months now. I know I don't get here on the forums much but I am SO pumped for this costume. We should totally get together and cause some Team Rocket mayhem!!!

Giovanni is going to be there, and organizing the grunts. ;-)

Heleor on
  • Options
    ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Alright, so I haven't really been reading through the thread, so forgive me if someone else is already doing this costume/gave tips for it.

This will be the second time that I'm doing anything related to cosplay at all. I'm considering going as Wesker from Resident Evil, and I have a few questions:

1. I have a long black coat, but it's not leather like the one in 5, it's made of wool I think? You know, what you usually would see worn over a suit. Could I get away with this?

2. The hair. I have never experimented with any kind of hair coloring/gelling, any tips?

3. Contacts. Again, something I have zero clue about. I was thinking about wearing red contacts. Yay/nay, and where would I find these?

Thanks in advance for any kind of feedback guys.

ArcanicEight on
  • Options
    SoyduckSoyduck Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

And thanks, exmerlin! (:

Giovanni is going to be there, and organizing the grunts. ;-)

:o: :mrgreen: WOW!!! Oh man! This is totally the most exciting news I have heard in a long time! I have been preparing for this for like, thirteen years! >_>

Soyduck on
  • Options
    ShilohShiloh Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    new set of armor is in the works, should be done and ready to roll for Pax East, might have to kick it on Sunday or Day one, not sure which one yet as Cole will still be the primary... decisions, decisions....

I'll drop a hint on what the new creation is once we get in the new year.

Shiloh on
    Be excellent to each other!
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    hml151 wrote: »
    I'd love to cosplay for PAX. I've done it for BlizzCon two years in a row. But because I live so close to PAX, I'm just going to take the train in every day... I don't think I would appreciate all the people staring at me on the train, lol.
    Bathroom changing at the event.

Bathroom changing is how to get it done! You can always have an extra bag for transporting your costume, then put your clothes in it when at the con, and check it at one of those bag/coat-checking places. It cost $5 when I did it, but it was worth those five dollars.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    RDubbRDubb Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I'd love to cosplay for PAX. I've done it for BlizzCon two years in a row. But because I live so close to PAX, I'm just going to take the train in every day... I don't think I would appreciate all the people staring at me on the train, lol.
    Bathroom changing at the event.

Bathroom changing is how to get it done! You can always have an extra bag for transporting your costume, then put your clothes in it when at the con, and check it at one of those bag/coat-checking places. It cost $5 when I did it, but it was worth those five dollars.

You could always try to make arrangements with someone staying at the Westin to use their hotel room as a changing area. I'm sure someone wouldn't mind letting you in for a few minutes.

RDubb on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010

And thanks, exmerlin! (:

When you're NOT the witch?!?!? That's nothing I've heard...

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    Vaulter85Vaulter85 Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    A preview of my cosplay. :lol:
    psycho.jpg

Vaulter85 on
    Team Charmander Brofessional
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    :o: :mrgreen: WOW!!! Oh man! This is totally the most exciting news I have heard in a long time! I have been preparing for this for like, thirteen years! >_>

Oh yah, lots of grunts are always good. At Prime, a pack of us rolled up to the final League meeting on Sunday, was pretty awesome. Hoping to do even better this time.

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    Bad AspBad Asp Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think I'll try once again dressing up like Sam from Sam and Max. Gray suit, blue-and-black-striped tie, fedora hat.

And I won't bring any weapons, because of the convention's policy. So call me Sam from the cartoon series!

Bad Asp on
  • Options
    MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I am also doing a grunt cosplay. I'm thinking about putting together a Rocket team of pokes, so people can challenge me. :)

Maiu on
  • Options
    DragonKittyDragonKitty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Well, alright, some feedback would be good. I have two options right now, and both are being done in the hopes of being fairly inexpensive but amusing enough that people would get it.

The first is a L4D themed idea, not with any specific person in mind, but just a few random items, one of the med packs, a molotov cocktail (obviously not the real one, I'd be too tempted to use it >_>) and a frying pan and some bandages.

The other would be less about videogames, and more about hilarity. The idea was to get a "Team Edward" shirt, and write in with sharpie (I KILLED) so it would read as "Team I KILLED Edward", and then walk around with a plastic baseball bat covered in glitter.

So neither are too hectic, though feedback as to what would be best would be appreciated.

DragonKitty on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Watch out with the glitter - from my experience, it gets /everywhere/.

Heleor on
  • Options
    MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Maiu wrote: »
    I am also doing a grunt cosplay. I'm thinking about putting together a Rocket team of pokes, so people can challenge me. :)

Yessssss..... wait'll you see what I'm packing on my DS... :mrgreen:

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • Options
    RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    The other would be less about videogames, and more about hilarity. The idea was to get a "Team Edward" shirt, and write in with sharpie (I KILLED) so it would read as "Team I KILLED Edward", and then walk around with a plastic baseball bat covered in glitter.

Please, PLEASE get a zombie Edward to walk around with you if you do this idea, glitter spilling from his guts or something.

RainbowTunnel on
  • Options
    PootsPoots Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    I'm going to PAX as Dave from Homestuck. It'll be so awesome and I'm planning on meeting other MSPA fans there.

But on a more important note..
    Someone HAS to go to PAX as the epic sax guy from this video.
    My life would be made.

Poots on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I don't know about the sax guy, but that violin is epic.

Heleor on
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Poots wrote: »
    I'm going to PAX as Dave from Homestuck. It'll be so awesome and I'm planning on meeting other MSPA fans there.

Dave: Post pictures

(Seriously though, that's awesome. I might bring Cal...)

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Heleor wrote: »
    I don't know about the sax guy, but that violin is epic.

feitocomfruta on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Cosplayer sages, I summon and bind thee!

Now you shall answer my questions three.

Actually, I really only have one question. But "questions one" sounds silly.

I'm trying to find little self-contained pre-fab LED units. I was thinking of buying these and then breaking them down. Anyone have a better idea for self-contained LED units?

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    MelesMeles wrote: »

Now you shall answer my questions three.

Actually, I really only have one question. But "questions one" sounds silly.

I'm trying to find little self-contained pre-fab LED units. I was thinking of buying these and then breaking them down. Anyone have a better idea for self-contained LED units?

would something like these worK? http://www.ledtronics.com/products/cat1.aspx?P=C0D9

what exactly are you trying to achieve?

zerzhul on
  • Options
    DragonKittyDragonKitty Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Please, PLEASE get a zombie Edward to walk around with you if you do this idea, glitter spilling from his guts or something.

...Yes

DragonKitty on
  • Options
    ArcanicEightArcanicEight Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My friends were talking about going as some characters from Resident Evil. One of them already has a Wesker getup put together. I plan on going as Kevin Ryman once I get the necessary parts. Probably won't be bringing an airsoft pistol out of fear of being tackled by security, unless I manage to make it look REALLY fake somehow.

My friends also tossed around the idea of a Metal Gear Solid theme...

ArcanicEight on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    would something like these worK? http://www.ledtronics.com/products/cat1.aspx?P=C0D9

Those might work. What I'd like is the ability to put a light/glowing element into props or costume pieces. i.e. there's a gap in a chestpiece, and light is shining out of it. Or a glowing light coming from inside a small PVC pipe. The idea is to have small LED units that I can stick anywhere and that will operate independently. It seems a lot easier than trying to wire up an entire costume to a few circuits.

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    LanderolinLanderolin Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    MelesMeles wrote: »

Those might work. What I'd like is the ability to put a light/glowing element into props or costume pieces. i.e. there's a gap in a chestpiece, and light is shining out of it. Or a glowing light coming from inside a small PVC pipe. The idea is to have small LED units that I can stick anywhere and that will operate independently. It seems a lot easier than trying to wire up an entire costume to a few circuits.

Is controllability an issue, or are you just looking for a small, low heat light source? Might cylumes/glowsticks be an option, or are they too big and non-diffuse?

There are plenty of different colours available, though I might be able to help thanks to the Great British Taxpayer if it's fairly standard colours you need (red/green/orange). ;)

Also meant to add - as I've spent the last 3 months in Afghanistan growing a great big ginger war 'tache, I intend to be attending one of the days as Dr. Robotnik!

Landerolin on
    Pokecrawl 2011 - Team Squirtle!
    Tweet me @Landerolin
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I fully endorse a Robotnik outfit.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    MaiuMaiu Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Matev wrote: »
    Maiu wrote: »

Yessssss..... wait'll you see what I'm packing on my DS... :mrgreen:

Just about done with my costume. Pretty darn excited.

My question is, on my regular team, I use a common Rocket poke. She is carefully bred, specially trained, EV'd up the wazoo, but still a typical Rocket poke. Should I include her on my team to be rather dastardly, or should I go with the straight up grunt routine (i.e., easy to beat)?

Maiu on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    It's alright, it's not like Team Rocket ever wins. ;-)

I just got my cape in the mail today. It's awesomely comfy.

Heleor on
  • Options
    StravalonStravalon Registered User new member
    edited January 2011
    Finally! A convention where I can dress up as WRPG characters without looking like an idiot! That is why I love PAX.

I am for sure bringing my Morrigan costume from DA:O. Right now I am working on Lady Hawke from DA2. The game drops right before the convention, so I am just stoked.

My fingers are crossed that I get this done in time.

Stravalon on
  • Options
    StarlightslkStarlightslk Cambridge, MARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I had so much fun at PAX East coplaying last year I have to indulge again! :mrgreen:

I'm working on a new cosplay that should be done in time....I just need to get the last of my supplies and actually finish-up the bits I started on (would have probably been done if I hadn't been sick over all Christmas vacation) :cry:

I do have a back-up character just in-case but I would really like to have something new....plus my boyfriend & I have been playing some Super Street Fighter IV and it would be awesome if I could get the new one completed in time...:P

Starlightslk on
    PAX East PokéCrawl: 2010 Team!Bulbasaur! ~ 2011 Team!Squirtle! ~ 2012 Team!Totodile! ~ 2013 Team!Feraligatr!
    PAX East PokéCrawl Cosplay '10-'13: Cynthia(Pokémon)

PAX East '10 Cosplays: Fri: Cynthia(Pokémon) Sat: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)
    PAX East '11 Cosplays: Fri: Tifa Lockhart(Final Fantasy VII: AC)
    PAX East '12 Cosplays: Fri: Morrigan(Darkstalkers) Sat & Sun: Nord (Skyrim)
    PAX East '13 Cosplays: Fri: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)alt, Fri&Sun: Cammy(Street Fighter), Sat: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)
    PAX East '14 Cosplays: Fri: L.Raptor(Darkstalkers)mb, Sat: Liliana of the Veil(MtG), Sun: Morrigan(Darkstalkers)alt

• Options
    GjarbleGjarble Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    AaronC wrote: »
    The image linked is a baton. Batons are weapons. Weapons are not allowed.

My concern is that it resembles and is a weapon, length isn't an issue.

If you bring a costume "weapon" male sure it's clearly fake.

I have a question on this point.

I would like to go as Davesprite from Homestuck (the guy on the right here) and have thought up a schematic for a retractable katana to stick in my chest that could be pulled out for photos and such, using a similar telescoping mechanism to this thing. Said katana would be hollow, made out of plastic, and most importantly, painted bright orange (blade and all). Would the orange paint be enough to easily convince passers-by of its fakeness? I know a similar principle is used with toy guns.

(My girlfriend will also be attending as Claire Redfield from Resident Evil 2... given an affirmative answer to the above question, we'd be bringing one of the aforementioned toy guns... if a dark, purplish color is too close to the black of real guns, I guess we could paint it the same pink as her jacket or something).

EDIT: Ah, just a page earlier, AaronC talks about realistic-looking guns are not allowed, even with an orange tip (but the question stands about the whole thing being painted)... and I'm guessing that "swords are not okay" does not include the gigantic clearly-not-wieldable-by-a-human-being-if-it-was-real sword I saw accompanying an Auron costume I found in photos from last year's PAX East... so I'm still wondering where the cutoff is.

EDIT 2: One more thing: I do not have photos of any of the props to be used because we're going to start gathering materials this weekend. However, also because of that, were my sword too problematic to bother implementing, I could easily switch my costume out for a different idea. I don't know if my girlfriend would be willing to do the same, but if her gun would be a problem as well, I'll let her know she has to choose between switching or going unarmed.

Gjarble on
  • Options
    hml151hml151 Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Should be fine, it is plastic and orange. My friend went as Valentine with a flake pistol (with the orange tip) and that was fine.

hml151 on
    Max sig size: 500x80px OR 4 lines of text
    School Girl Goodness...Watch for us at future PAX Prime events. If want some of my geek chic collection, click on the etsy link.

http://s774.photobucket.com/user/SchoolGirlGoodness/library/
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/VeronatheMad

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited January 2011
    Should be fine, it is plastic and orange. My friend went as Valentine with a flake pistol (with the orange tip) and that was fine.

It was stated earlier in this thread that fake guns are not ok if they look even remotely real, even with the orange tip.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited January 2011

It was stated earlier in this thread that fake guns are not ok if they look even remotely real, even with the orange tip.

Which is why I'm asking about a case where the entire gun is painted.

Gjarble on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited January 2011
    If you paint a real gun, does it cease to be a real gun?

If it resembles a weapon, please leave it at home, regardless of color.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Alright... sounds like a reasonable rule of thumb. Thanks!

Gjarble on
  • Options
    ZephsaceZephsace Gaming Mistress NYRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    EDIT: Ah, just a page earlier, AaronC talks about realistic-looking guns are not allowed, even with an orange tip (but the question stands about the whole thing being painted)... and I'm guessing that "swords are not okay" does not include the gigantic clearly-not-wieldable-by-a-human-being-if-it-was-real sword I saw accompanying an Auron costume I found in photos from last year's PAX East... so I'm still wondering where the cutoff is.

I'm thinking that that Auron you speak of was me since I was the only Auron there last year. I had asked about my sword since it had been made of wood, and they said as long as it was tagged (which it was from another con), it was fine. When I walked into the door, I double checked with security and the enforcers. What did they say? "As long as you behave." Which I did.

You can see the full size here. (I'm 5.7"... and the person on the left.... >.>)

Yes, the sword was heavy and truly unwieldy but never caused a problem while at the con. I even had a few people want to pose with the sword. Doubt my post clears anything up ._. but I think if it looks too real, it's not allowed.

Zephsace on
  • Options
    _Kino__Kino_ Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Oh hey, another MSPA cosplayer! I'm making a WV costume for the Anime Boston group so maybe I'll bring it to PAX as well?

_Kino_ on
  • Options
    aneksianeksi Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You started the topic! : D Woot. Was gunna get around to it when it was closer to the time, but you beat me too it.

Hmmmm I'm not sure what I'm going to do.
    I'm going to get a three day pass this time, for sure, but I'm not sure if I'm going to use multiple costumes.
    I might be the witch again, and make it a tradition.
    I'm not sure.

I loved your Witch cosplay last year! One of my favorites of East '10 ㅅ,ㅅ

aneksi on
This discussion has been closed.