Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[DnD 4e PbP] Vale of Buried Shadows (OOC)

24567141

Posts

  • IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know it says "Races: Any" in the OP, but sometimes people say that and don't mean monstrous races, so just to be sure before I go posting anything: Would a gnoll character be acceptable?

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anything that has a racial adaptation block for player characters (like at the back of the Monster Manuals) is acceptable, which includes orcs, kobolds, gnolls, etc.

    Of course, the further you go away from the traditionally accepted 'civilized' races and further into the 'traditionally-viewed-as-rampaging-monsters' area, then the more you'll have to justify in your character creation as to how the character managed to get with the party and why the rest of civilization hasn't already killed him whenever he stops into town.

  • IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Of course, the further you go away from the traditionally accepted 'civilized' races and further into the 'traditionally-viewed-as-rampaging-monsters' area, then the more you'll have to justify in your character creation as to how the character managed to get with the party and why the rest of civilization hasn't already killed him whenever he stops into town.

    Yessir. Working up the concept now.

  • TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Saving this spot for a Social Outcast Halfling Ardent... or a Defender of the Forest Dwarf Seeker.

    Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png
  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Out of curiosity, do we get an Expertise feat free, or are we paying for that as normal?

    Edit:
    Rius wrote:
    (You've got 3 magic items, I think you're only allowed 2 + consumables)
    As I understood, it was 2 magic items +400gp, with neither of the free items to be > L3. However, consumables and such greater than L3 were allowed to be purchased. Far as I can tell, you can use some of the GP to buy an item, though that leaves only 40gp for odds and ends.

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Out of curiosity, do we get an Expertise feat free, or are we paying for that as normal?

    I have been noting in the 4e Discussion thread and amongst other games that this is rather common, so yes you get a single Weapon Expertise feat free.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Do you want to give that out now or later?

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ehh, it's the same either way. I'll just doublecheck when the game starts that everyone has it.

    Edit: Okay, it's not really the same since you could build now based on expected feast relating to Expertise.

  • IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can we use the infinitely awesome Versatile Expertise from PHB3 as our free expertise feat or would you prefer that we stick to either Weapon Expertise or Implement Expertise?

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The fuck does Wizards go through the trouble of making separate feats for weapons and implements and then turns around and make another feat which just renders the previous ones redundant?

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    The fuck does Wizards go through the trouble of making separate feats for weapons and implements and then turns around and make another feat which just renders the previous ones redundant?

    It's like escalating Expertise feats. First came Weapon and Implement Expertise, giving a +1 to weapon or implement attacks respectively. Then they realized that some classes (Swordmage, some Sorcerers, etc) can use the same weapon as a weapon and an implement, so they made Focused Expertise such that those classes wouldn't have to take two feats.

    THEN they realized that some classes (Cleric, Paladin, Avenger) might want to use different items for weapon and implement... Versatile Expertise!

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still think if they wanted to do that then, they should have put in class restrictions on the feat so that it was more clearly aimed at the classes in question, since doing it this way just renders the previous feats redundant.

    Take whatever Expertise feat fits your class.

  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is it alright that I took Implement Expertise for my Staff? Sorry I just want to make sure I don't need to drop the feat.

    My Games

    GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life

    Spoiler:
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Treat that one as free and pick another.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For anyone unsure how to add free feats in the Character Builder;

    On the Feats screen, down by the Feat Choice Checklist, there's a little house icon you can click on to add a free feat slot.

  • OloronOloron Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Quick question about applications - how "absolutely final" do you want them to be? I'm assuming you want them in "happy to play them as stated" form. Given that today is the DDI update, I'd guess you'll want any applications "rules current"? (I'm reviewing mine in case they changed something on me.)

    For example, I'd be thrilled to play my application exactly as it is, but if I'm lucky enough to be selected it may make sense to tweak slightly around the edges. For example, one or two people mentioned mounts - I didn't include one, but would probably buy one if the rest of the group had them, etc. Also, I tried to merge my backstory into your "world", but would also be happy to change that if it somehow ended up incompatible with your story or someone else's background.

  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Alright, so I'm going to work on finishing up the concept and sheet for my Bard tonight. Leaning towards Cunning, but Valorous looks really fun too. Excited to dive in and start building.

    Reginald wrote: »
    Heavy Rain is what Martin Scorsese would see if he played Katamari Damacy.

    Score: 8 out of a possible bacon.
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oloron wrote: »
    Quick question about applications - how "absolutely final" do you want them to be? I'm assuming you want them in "happy to play them as stated" form. Given that today is the DDI update, I'd guess you'll want any applications "rules current"? (I'm reviewing mine in case they changed something on me.)

    For example, I'd be thrilled to play my application exactly as it is, but if I'm lucky enough to be selected it may make sense to tweak slightly around the edges. For example, one or two people mentioned mounts - I didn't include one, but would probably buy one if the rest of the group had them, etc. Also, I tried to merge my backstory into your "world", but would also be happy to change that if it somehow ended up incompatible with your story or someone else's background.

    Happy to play as started works. Little differences, particularly in more concrete backstory information, party history, motivation for where the campaign starts, will be settled just prior to game start for the five that make up the party so any required merging will happen at that point.

  • licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never done this before so please excuse my ignorance but how do you guys upload a character sheet from the character builder? I would like to try and play but can't get past even that part >.<

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rius wrote:
    (You've got 3 magic items, I think you're only allowed 2 + consumables)
    As I understood, it was 2 magic items +400gp, with neither of the free items to be > L3. However, consumables and such greater than L3 were allowed to be purchased. Far as I can tell, you can use some of the GP to buy an item, though that leaves only 40gp for odds and ends.

    I missed this. Yes, it's 2 magic items you pick off your list, then you get 400 gp to do whatever you want with.

  • FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whoops, didn't realize my sheet was listed as private. Fixed.

    Also, I'm going to be going the Defiant Word route instead of the Wrathful Hammer path. Bit unorthodox for a minotaur to do that, which is what I like.

    Also this is only the 2nd or third time I've made a character, I'm usually on the other side of the table, so if anyone reads him and discovers that he sucks, that would be why. Still hopeful that I get chosen, though. :D

    farangu.png

    Come join my Let's Play of Total War: Rome II! Boss around some Gauls!
  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    I still think if they wanted to do that then, they should have put in class restrictions on the feat so that it was more clearly aimed at the classes in question, since doing it this way just renders the previous feats redundant.

    Take whatever Expertise feat fits your class.

    Sweet, free expertise. I always hate having to take those feats. I know WoTC likes to fix problems with things being underpowered by releasing new books but personally I would have preferred they just admit their faulty math and just give everyone a scaling +1/2/3 to attack rolls with errata rather than print these 4 feats thus reducing your options.

  • paperstsoapcopaperstsoapco Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Submitting Velette, Half-Orc Stone Fist Monk.

    Velette

    Background, etc is at the bottom of the character sheet. I tried to leave it fairly vague since I don't know much about the specifics of Nentir Vale, nor what you'd have us doing, but if you'd like more specific, I can do that.

    As for her wish, she wants to be a great leader of some sort. Right now she would say a warchief of some sort, but as she becomes accustomed to life outside an orc tribe, that would probably change.

    Also, I would like to point out that although Harmonius Thunder reads as though it insta-gibs one target, most people assume that it is not intended to trigger off of itself, which was my interpretation. Up to you how you'd like to play that though.

  • IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gnarryc, Gnoll Monk
    Spoiler:

    Gnarryc is a pragmatist. He wants better things in life, and he pursues the path that he believes will lead him to them. Now that he's been a part of not-so-polite society for a while, he has seen that adventurers always have the best stuff, and so he has resolved to become one. His goals are rather egocentric, but as he was raised in gnoll society he does have loyalty to whatever "pack" he selects... to a point.
    He has thoroughly given up the life of marauding, because killing without a solid goal in mind, without something worthwhile to gain, seems wasteful to him.
    If he could could have any one wish, he would wish to have a position, power, and riches appropriate to his might (of course, in his mind this affords him a vast fortune and the crown of a large kingdom).

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to ask but it's been picking at me. As a level 2 human and with the free implement/weapon expertise feat I should have four feats right?

    My Games

    GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life

    Spoiler:
  • TiamatZTiamatZ Freeze...and burn! Double TroubleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Don't you mean weapon/implement expertise?

    But yeah, you should have 4 feats:

    - 2 from 1st level human
    - 1 from level 2
    - 1 from free feat

    Jakiro avatar (and other DOTA 2 portraits) by Dota fan Adam C. Beamish: Check them out
    DotaJakSig_zps399cf6a1.png
  • SakutianSakutian Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    YeahI meant to say weapon/implement expertise, sorry.

    My Games

    GM of M&M "And Justice For All."
    GM of Dresden Files Low Life

    Spoiler:
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Decided on a half-elven Valorous Bard, which will be a completely new sort of character for me compared to what I usually play. Writing up my concept now.

    Reginald wrote: »
    Heavy Rain is what Martin Scorsese would see if he played Katamari Damacy.

    Score: 8 out of a possible bacon.
  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Have a number of applications already in (current tally is: 2 Defenders, 2 Leaders, 4 Strikers, 2 Controllers) and my chapter 3 writing has most of the ideas in place. As such, going to move up the application deadline to this coming Monday the 12th, which gets the recruitment completed quicker while still giving everyone enough time to still finalize applications.

  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will be putting in a Dwarf Worldspeaker Shaman soon. Just need to find a good reason to get him to Fallcrest.

  • FelixSomethingSomethingFelixSomethingSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Two submissions from me, descriptions and such are in the sheets.

    Suran Contonia, Human Tempest Fighter

    What would Suran wish for? A legacy, a place in the history books and to be spoken of in campfire stories and drinking songs for centuries after his death.

    Erchelian Dimloth, Half-Elf Infernal Warlock

    What would Erchelian wish for? His wife back, and everything as it was before he lost her. This is his end goal, though he doesn't realize or wont accept how unrealistic it is.

  • licwidcakelicwidcake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nicelas Thesia, Eladrin Avenger
    http://4e.orokos.com/sheets/1748

    Background:
    Spoiler:

    Mannerisms and Appearance:
    Spoiler:

    Wish:
    Nicelas has moved past the death of his town and family. If he were to have one wish it would be to become powerful enough to destroy every vestige of the Cult of Orcus, including Orcus himself, and wipe even it's memory from existence.
    Spoiler:

    Also I'd be fine with purchasing a mount if that is what the party decides (and I am chosen to play of course).

    Edit: Hoar is also a FR deity so if I need to change it that's okay I just don't exactly know which god is the god of vengeance in the regular setting.


    Editx2: For my picture I'll just use the one for the avenger that comes in the player creator, I just altered it so he would have black eyes. Below is the basic one, I'll PM the altered one.
    Spoiler:

  • AegisAegis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hoar's fine. I prefer the FR pantheon anyway (at least, before 4e massacred it).

    Besides, poetic justice is fun.

  • squishy-blobsquishy-blob Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    Hoar's fine. I prefer the FR pantheon anyway (at least, before 4e massacred it).

    Besides, poetic justice is fun.

    Same here. I think that mostly stems from the FR pantheon being much more personal and with more stories about them.

  • IAmUnawareIAmUnaware Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Another submission from me:

    Kallak, Goliath Fighter|Paladin of Moradin
    Spoiler:

    If Kallak had one wish, he would be torn between wishing to know why he survived when the rest of his village died or wishing for the strength to complete whatever task Moradin might set before him. He'd probably end up picking the latter.

    EDIT: Updated sheet to fix crappy reflex defense a little bit.

  • tzeentchlingtzeentchling Dr. Doctor Oakland, CARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I present Aidan Twosouls, Worldspeaker Shaman, and his spirit companion/twin sister, Nadia.

    Background:
    Spoiler:
    Personality:
    Spoiler:
    CB Summary:
    Spoiler:
    Wish:
    Spoiler:

    Interesting link for more information on real life chimarae.

  • hippofanthippofant Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dara, Genasi Swordmage

    Background:
    Spoiler:

    Personality:
    Spoiler:

    Wish:
    Dara would wish for a land that values and respects the individuality of many different races and cultures, built strong and free upon their many contributions, that treats each person fairly and well, taking care of each other in times of misfortune or illness.

  • soxboxsoxbox Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rius wrote: »
    2) Tohen Angwar, Eladrin Warlord, Taclord to be sure. Submitted by Soxbox (You've taken a Greatspear but have dumped Wisdom. If you ever want the control-style feats a Polearm/Spear combo can get you, then you'll need some Wisdom to go along with your Str and Int. Con and Cha are a little less important in that scenario.)

    I wasn't thinking of going the Fighter and Polearm Momentum path. That's the only wis-requiring polearm/spear feat right? That's all I'm missing out on? Haven't dived through MP2 or PHB3 yet.

  • RiusRius Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    soxbox wrote: »
    Rius wrote: »
    2) Tohen Angwar, Eladrin Warlord, Taclord to be sure. Submitted by Soxbox (You've taken a Greatspear but have dumped Wisdom. If you ever want the control-style feats a Polearm/Spear combo can get you, then you'll need some Wisdom to go along with your Str and Int. Con and Cha are a little less important in that scenario.)

    I wasn't thinking of going the Fighter and Polearm Momentum path. That's the only wis-requiring polearm/spear feat right? That's all I'm missing out on? Haven't dived through MP2 or PHB3 yet.

    That is pretty much the crux of it, yeah. So if you don't intend to go that way, then you're fine =)

Sign In or Register to comment.