As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Remakes, revamps, and reboots

Chia MountainChia Mountain Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
Yes I'm new to the forums

Now that I got that awkward greeting off my chest, what do you guys think of remakes of old games? If a developer has that right amount of giddy nostalgia and savvy, and cash, I say why not, but sometimes I wonder if this might get the best of people and their intentions of wowing people with all the glitz of 21st century graphics.

A good launching point for debate could be the new Medal of Honor (a bit of a modernized revamp than a total back-to-basics remake) and Tomb Raider Anniversary. I might be in the minority when I say that I actually enjoyed TRA, but in no small part because me and my sister when we were littler would play it together, volume all the way down and listening to some 90s alternative rock (Third eye blind and Chumbawumba, anyone? No?), so obviously it sold me already just by bringing back memories. But the game wasn't perfect, people swore off crystal dynamics for ruining the franchise, and it was incredibly short too. For me though, the optional commentary through out the levels when you beat the game the first time just made it totally worth it, and if it was up to me alot of videogames would have optional developer commentaries to add that second level of replay value to the game.

But I'm curious what you people have to say, about any of these games or other remakes. And what do you think is beckoning for a come back?

Edit: I changed the title of the thread to be a little more friendly for a more encompassing debate of all things do-over, and less dumb and polarized as the original title.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Schlitz!
Chia Mountain on

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm ok with remakes in general. Why should we limit a game to the technology that was available when it was created?

There is the perfect remake, games like Pokemon Fire Red/Leaf Green, and Megaman Maverick Hunter X. Games like these pretty much just take the source game, make it pretty, and call it a day. Can't go too wrong there.

Then, you have polarizing remakes, like Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, and Tomb Raider Anniversary. Games like these usually run a thin line between changing just enough to keep the game fresh, and changing so much that you aggravate longtime fans.

Then there are the in-between remakes, like Megaman: Powered Up and Metroid: Zero Mission, which add a ton of new features or gameplay, but still include the original game (or some sort of facsimile) to appease everybody.

When you mention Medal of Honor, you're talking about a Reboot, not a Remake. Reboots can be ok too though (Doom 3, Tomb Raider Legend, Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time).

Basically what I am trying to say is that I would pay $60 for a SotC remake.

SmokeStacks on
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pong: HD. 60$.

In any case, an older game revamped onto a new platform with fixes across the board for bugs and whatnot, as well as vastly improved graphics is always good. As long as a company listens to feedback from the original game and then applies that with the remake, glory is had.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All I've ever wanted was a Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages/Seasons remake.

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tomb Raider Anniversary is wonderful and anyone that says differently is crazy

Just saying

UnbreakableVow on
  • AmnioticAmniotic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've been waiting for a remake of Master of Magic or Tie Fighter for a damn long time.

Amniotic on
    EvE Online - Kellen Pikara
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Remakes aren't a bad concept. Just like anything else in... anything else (movies, games, music, etc), it has potential for success or failure. I just mentioned to someone in another thread a while ago that Shining Force had a remake on the GBA, and it did wonders for an already great game. It didn't necessarily change any of the game balance or play style (well, from what I can remember), but it did a LOT for the story of the game, in an already story driven game.

When a game gets remade to reinforce a weak story, that's a rewarding experience. I think it can be more rewarding though when a game already strong in story is reinforced to be stronger in that narrative.

Goes for gameplay too. Metroid: Zero Mission is a good example of this. The first Metroid was a fucking mess, even though it was a good game. And they enhanced the fuck out of it.

Henroid on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    delightfully unnecessary

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Every game can be improved. I like when they are improved. I would rather see the resources put into new games, though. Older games that aged poorly benefit a lot more from remakes. Some, like Chrono Trigger, are fine to this day and don't need major changes. Gold is still fine too, but Pokemon has added a ton of new features in the past ten years and it's nice to see all that added. I would really, really like DS remakes of the Zelda Oracle games too.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    delightfully unnecessary

Surprisingly deep, man.

Henroid on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depends on the game, and what remaking it would bring to the table.

Take two games I like a lot: Half-Life and Metroid Prime

I'd say Half-Life needs a remake. It shows it's age badly via the graphics, it's level design (though great at the time) really negates a sense of realism for the environment these days, and IMO, more could be done to integrate a better fleshed out story to the game (Especially one that draws a stronger connection to Half-Life 2).

Meanwhile, Metroid Prime, IMO, doesn't need a remake. It's graphics extremely well, and it's gameplay and story easily hold a candle to modern day games. I don't even think it needed the port to the Wii.

Undead Scottsman on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would pay exactly $15 for McKids HD

UnbreakableVow on
  • Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    delightfully unnecessary

Surprisingly deep, man.

silly answers for silly threads

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone that can't appreciate a good remake has obviously never played both the original Resident Evil and the GameCube remake.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Geometry Wars Retro Evolved 2 is digital crack.

Fizban140 on
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depends on the game and type of remake. Some games can benefit from a full remake. As said already, Half Life 1 is one of them. Some games could do with simply a 'remaster' like God of War Collection. They don't take long (that took 7 weeks, apparently) and are good double dips, especially if there's another game in the series coming out and the majority were on an older system. Tomb Raider Anniversary is a game I think of that needed a remake. The original was really good, but anyone trying it out now would get quite frustrated with the archaic movement system (especially for a platformer).

'Reboots' I don't mind since they're generally completely new games, and they're just using the old name for a bit of name recognition (PoP 2008 was vastly different, and could have gone under a totally different name). This goes for your example of the new Medal of Honour. It's not a remake, or really a reboot, it's a new game in the series, and they're using the basic 'Medal of Honour' name since it's known, and putting a sequel number in there scares away some customers who haven't played the other games.

-Loki- on
    edited April 2010
    "Reboot" is a new thing that has yet to find definition I think. On the one hand, you have Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, which is a 'reboot' of the franchise. But then you have Silent Hill: Homecoming (or whichever) that was a 'reboot' of the first game, which more or less changed everything that the first game was about.

Henroid on
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd remake Devil May Cry 2 into something playable. Why do companies never remake stuff that actually needs it? I'm still waiting on a Metroid 2 with a map and rooms that don't all look exactly alike.

Gilder on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    "Reboot" is a new thing that has yet to find definition I think. On the one hand, you have Castlevania: Lords of Shadow, which is a 'reboot' of the franchise. But then you have Silent Hill: Homecoming (or whichever) that was a 'reboot' of the first game, which more or less changed everything that the first game was about.

"Reboot" is supposed to involved continuity. It's where you toss out all previously existing continuity and start over from scratch. (Doom 1/2 vs Doom 3, for example.)

Undead Scottsman on
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Remakes I'd pay good money for:
    • System Shock
    • Shadow of the Colossus
    • ICO
    • possibly the old Colin McRae games in the new engine - I love DIRT, but I'd prefer more actual rallye gameplay

Thirith on
    webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Much as I prefer original work, I'm always up for a good remake... Provided it's done well.

The same rule applies to reboots. Modern Warfare showed that reboots can work... Provided you don't let the developers rest on their laurels for the inevitable sequel.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Kris_xKKris_xK Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know damn well have this board would by a X-Com, Tie Fighter (or Privateer) and System Shock remakes in seconds.

Kris_xK on
    calvinhobbessleddingsig2.gif
  • Pete0rPete0r Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think that Settlers 2 would be a good parallel for xcom, both are ages old and yes still fantastic games.

Both have a string of very troubled games that have drifted away from what many fans consider to be 'core.'

Then they released Settlers 2 10th anniversary edition and all (well half) was right with the world. The graphics have been cranked up to modern standards, the same with the UI. But the gameplay is identical to the old one.

Pete0r on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There have been a few loose X-Com remakes, but since they don't carry the license I guess we'd be getting into the topic of Spiritual Sequels (such as Arx Fatalis and BioShock).

SmokeStacks on
  • Delicious SteveDelicious Steve Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was listening to some old episodes of the podcast Webcomics Weekly, where-in Scott Kurtz described the useless process he put himself through of re-drawing old comic strips, he concluded that he could have spent that time improving more than his art, by writing a completely new strip and just drawing that instead.

So I've seen the Resident Evil remake, the Perfect Dark "upgrade" & the TMNT IV: Turtles in Time remake. And what i'm left wondering is, if the remake is so stuck on being like the original game, why not just start selling the old game again? People who return to it for nostalgia's sake end up disappointed at the changes, and people who didn't have the opportunity to play it in the first place are left with an altered version of the game, AKA The George Lucas Effect.

They could also just create a sequel, but it's often simply derivative of the original work and is an uninspiring experience. So why not just start selling the old game again? I know I stopped myself from buying Hexic 2 on XBLA because I just wanted the original which they refused to sell me, same with Turtles in Time Reshelled.

They're Unnecessary in my opinion.

Delicious Steve on
  • Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There are dozens of games I'd love to see remade, mainly because a lot of older games were really ahead of their time but were held back by the primitive technology they were made for and some games such as X-Com really just need a more modern UI to improve the game.

Reboots can be useful if a franchise has fallen from grace such as happened to Tomb Raider, a fresh start can be the only way to bring it back to life. But when it's something like Prince of Persia which was recently rebooted for no reason, then those can just die in a fire.

Duchess Prozac on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Turtles in Time Reshelled

That game was a shitty remake. That's like saying movies are unnecessary because of The Hottie and the Nottie.

I was listening to some old episodes of the podcast Webcomics Weekly, where-in Scott Kurtz described the useless process he put himself through of re-drawing old comic strips, he concluded that he could have spent that time improving more than his art, by writing a completely new strip and just drawing that instead.

Of course redrawing comic strips is a waste of time. No one is reading PVP because it's a visual tour de force.

Dirty on
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dirty wrote: »

Of course redrawing comic strips is a waste of time. No one is reading PVP because it's a visual tour de force.

Really? I can't really see much worthwhile aside from the art (which is admittedly not amazing but it is palatable).

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Amniotic wrote: »
    I've been waiting for a remake of Master of Magic or Tie Fighter for a damn long time.

This has needed to happen for a very long time. There would be no end to my love for Lucasarts if they did this.

Never gonna happen, though. D:

Gashik on
    edited April 2010
    Really? I can't really see much worthwhile aside from the art (which is admittedly not amazing but it is palatable).

I'm not saying the writing is great. I'm just saying that like newspaper comics (which all pretty much suck these days), people aren't reading PVP for its art, therefore improving his art is a waste of time beyond his personal desire for self-improvement.

Dirty on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Besides, webcomics in general are pretty time or topic based.

Not all of them, obviously, but most.

Anyway, since I'm playing through HeartGold even as we speak, I'm going to go ahead and say 'delightfully unnecessary'. I didn't really need a trip back to whenever Gold was originally released, but damned if I'm not enjoying it.

Jintor on
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm going to go with "Delightful" because remakes have given us things like the Gamecube Resident Evil and Metroid: Zero Mission. I'm not a big fan of all remakes, both those two are so good that I'm sold on the concept for life.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm all for remakes that makes games that used to look like shit and bring them up to par with current graphics and gameplay tweaks.

Rounding out Lara's boobies and giving Soild Snake's eyes are a-ok.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • EndomaticEndomatic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think a lot of companies, games and movies jumping on this "reboot" bandwagon is very unnecessary. It's lazy. The previous works may as well not even exist. It's insulting to the original work in my opinion and I don't like it.

It worked okay for Star Trek, but now a lot of folks seem to have the idea that it would be a good thing to do the same with a lot of other IPs. I disagree entirely.

I could see George Lucas going "Sorry guys, I fucked up Episode I-III, I'm going to let someone else do them again, but I'll pay for it". I am pretty sure I was dreaming though.

Endomatic on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    I wish they'd remake Devil May Cry 2 into something playable. Why do companies never remake stuff that actually needs it? I'm still waiting on a Metroid 2 with a map and rooms that don't all look exactly alike.

You mean make DMC2 right? Cause they had some weird numbering scheme like DMC 1, DMC 3, DMC SE, DMC4. Weird, I know.

solsovly on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    System Shock 2 needs a remake so badly it's painful. I just got done playing through it, and I'd forgotten how awesome it was. Even with painfully blocky textures and bad animation, it remains really creepy. Probably be amazing with a real graphical update.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's what happens:

oh, i would so buy X game if they remade it! X game comes out.
    X is horrible.

In concept they are fine, but in reality, they give the devs and producers even more of a reason to cut costs and be lazy. So consequently, remakes tend to be shit.

Lilnoobs on
    edited April 2010
    I'm cool with reboots when fans want more of a franchise, but either:

a) The established continuity has reached a logical conclusion (I was in favor of POP'08 going in a completely different direction, as the Sands of Time trilogy was pretty neatly wrapped up; its just a shame the gameplay was weak);

b) The established continuity is completely fucked up (your franchise got Batman-&-Robin'd? Go ahead and reboot that shit).

Dirty on
    edited April 2010
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So consequently, remakes tend to be shit.

Ya gotta take the bittuh wit' the sweet. I don't care if there are ten shitty remakes for every quality one. I don't have to play the other ten, and I want to play the good one. Games in general tend to suck. For every awesome game that we splooge over on this forum, there are probably 20 pieces of shitty shovelware. So if you think we should scrap remakes because of the crap:good ratio, then we should scrap all video games.

Dirty on
  • Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Resident Evil 4 on the Wii was probably thought of as being unnecessary. Right up until it was played and people thought 'HOLY FUCK SHIT!'. Made better in every possible way. I guess quite a few Wii games are like that though. The Modern Warfare remake called Reflex is fantastic on the Wii, so to are the other resident evil titles along with stuff like Pikmin and Donkey Kong Jungle Beat.

Big Classy on
  • LilnoobsLilnoobs Alpha Queue Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dirty wrote: »
    Lilnoobs wrote: »
    So consequently, remakes tend to be shit.

Ya gotta take the bittuh wit' the sweet. I don't care if there are ten shitty remakes for every quality one. I don't have to play the other ten, and I want to play the good one. Games in general tend to suck. For every awesome game that we splooge over on this forum, there are probably 20 pieces of shitty shovelware. So if you think we should scrap remakes because of the crap:good ratio, then we should scrap all video games.

True enough.

But I'd argue more that remakes tend to motivate devs and producers to be more lazy, so I don't like it just because it gives them an easy scapegoat to be lazy.

Remakes already have
    an installed base
    a narrative (lol)
    level layout
    enemies
    weapons
    powerups
    on and on.

So why work harder than one really has to?

=p

Plus, ya know, Bionic commando.

Lilnoobs on