Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
So here it is, the big new FAQ Thread. If you guys still have suggestions for things to put in here, please post them. If you're just somebody with a question to ask, please ask it here.
pax-logo.jpg

When: September 3rd, 4th and 5th, 2010

Where: Washington State Convention and Trade Center, Downtown Seattle, WA

What:
Wikipedia wrote:
The Penny Arcade Expo (PAX) is an annual gamer festival held in Washington. PAX was created by Jerry Holkins and Mike Krahulik, the authors of the Penny Arcade webcomic, because they wanted to attend a show that gave equal attention to video gamers, computer gamers, and tabletop gamers. No such show existed, so PAX was born.

Created in 2004, PAX has doubled in size each successive year and has been hailed as a weekend-long celebration of gamer culture. Defining characteristics include game-inspired concerts, panels on game industry topics, exhibitor booths, after-hours parties, tournaments, and freeplay areas.
Theros wrote:
PAX is awesome
ashridah wrote:
PAX is not your personal army
Liger wrote:
unless your name is Robert Khoo
HotSake wrote:
PAX is 50,000 friends you never knew you had.
In 2008 PAX had over 58,000 attendees.
In 2009, ticket sales were capped at 75,000 and sold out
This year, PAX East sold out at over 52,000 in its first year.

Links: Penny Arcade, PAX Website, PAX topic at Wikipedia

What this forum is: This forum is for the discussion of PAX, finding people to carpool or caravan with, finding people to split the cost of a hotel room, and general questions and information about PAX as well as community events and gatherings.

What this thread is: This thread is a place for people to ask questions, and for the PAX experienced to provide answers (and some general PAX wisdom).

Frequently Asked Questions
Click here for the Official PAX Page FAQ
Here's a community-based FAQ for those of you who don't want to comb through this thread to see if your question has been answered already.

• General Stuff
    Spoiler:
  • Concerts
    Spoiler:
  • Merch Booth
    Spoiler:
  • Tournaments
    Spoiler:
  • Handicap/Limited Mobility/Children
    Spoiler:
  • Travel
    Spoiler:
  • Hotels
    Spoiler:
  • Downtown Seattle
    Spoiler:
  • Social
    Spoiler:
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING THE HAVE/NEED PASSES THREAD
    Spoiler:

Moe Fwacky on

• heelsheels Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, PAX Staff mod
    edited April 2010
    Whats PAX?

/troll

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • parabolaparabola Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PAX is 75,000 friends I know I have <3.

• ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited April 2010
    heels wrote: »
    Whats PAX?

/troll

Your mother.

Spoiler:
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    parabola wrote: »
    PAX is 75,000 friends I know I have <3.

"we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • VapokVapok PC Room Manager - PAX East BostonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Whats PAX?

/troll

Your mother.

Is that the best you can do? Besides PAX is much more cool than her. =)

enforceruserbarsplitcro.png
    Vapok - PAX East PC Room Manager
  • ElectricTurtleElectricTurtle Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Vapok wrote: »
    Whats PAX?

/troll

Your mother.

Is that the best you can do? Besides PAX is much more cool than her. =)

Half-assed trollings deserve half-assed responses.

However, PAX is like my father and mother.

Spoiler:
  • philbertdephilbertde Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Presale ticket page seems to indicate there will be paper tickets for PAX Prime rather than the badges that were used at PAX East. Is that an accurate assessment?

• heelsheels Registered User, Super Moderator, Moderator, PAX Staff mod
    edited April 2010
    philbertde wrote: »
    The Presale ticket page seems to indicate there will be paper tickets for PAX Prime rather than the badges that were used at PAX East. Is that an accurate assessment?

Nope! That one always confuses people. The paper that you may or may not print out is your ticket confirmation for PAX East, you will still get a plastic badge mailed to you.

< devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PAX > Your Mom

<MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • NickieroonieNickieroonie Registered User
    edited April 2010
    There's an unused [/quote] in the concerts section, and a paste in the list for the well-prepared that shouldn't be there, just fyi!

• Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If a meet up takes place in a bar, can people under 21 go?

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    There's an unused
    in the concerts section, and a paste in the list for the well-prepared that shouldn't be there, just fyi![/QUOTE]

I have no idea what this means

edited April 2010

No, bars in seattle will not let the under 21 in 99% of the time. If a meet up is at a bar, and you're under 21, it's a safe bet that they won't let you in.

• Gene ParmesanGene Parmesan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

No, bars in seattle will not let the under 21 in 99% of the time. If a meet up is at a bar, and you're under 21, it's a safe bet that they won't let you in.

Crap, alot of the meetups i wanna go to go to bars. For gods sake, the city of heroes panel met at a bar. Why? Are there meetups that dont meet at bars?

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Crap, alot of the meetups i wanna go to go to bars. For gods sake, the city of heroes panel met at a bar. Why? Are there meetups that dont meet at bars?

The best meetup of the weekend takes place in the WSCTC. That one's all ages :)

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • StupidStupid Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's an unused /quote in the concerts section, and a paste in the list for the well-prepared that shouldn't be there, just fyi!

He means that if you read the section on concerts, there is a /QUOTE tag just floating at the end of the text. As if you had intended to quote something, or did quote something but then later removed it, but left the tag.

For example: this is an example of a floating quote tag [/QUOTE] <- right there

EDIT: apparantly you fixed it.

fss.png
    edited April 2010
    I meant that I didn't understand the part in bold.

• GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BYOC deets! When will registration for that open? :mrgreen:

Also if I have a mobility issue and get a medical badge, will it be possible to use the loading dock or some such? I tried to hoof it from the WCSTC parking garage a few years ago and my gear and I didn't quite make the trip..

Additionally PAX FUCK YEAH

• NickieroonieNickieroonie Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Yeah sorry, that was kind of unclear -- I meant to say that there is an erroneous copy+paste within "Travel: A list for the well-prepared"! It's located at the Tylenol bullet point.

edited April 2010
    Oh wow, didn't even see that. A lot of the FAQ is copypasta from previous years, especially that list. Makes me wonder how long that's been in there now.

• CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ever since we have been Copy/Pasting it.

The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
    edited April 2010
    Oh wow, didn't even see that. A lot of the FAQ is copypasta from previous years, especially that list. Makes me wonder how long that's been in there now.

Is Copypasta delicious?

• NillyNilly Registered User
    edited April 2010
    of course it is!

Talga Vassternich -- Deserve Victory
    Wizard's 8th Rule
    Naked Empire
    Terry Goodkind
  • nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it OK if I bring febreze and spray it around people who smell like silly gooses or will I get yelled at by security? Maybe Enforcers can carry some on their utility belts.

edited April 2010
    No, this is not okay. This will likely get you thrown out of the convention center.

• dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    nerve wrote: »
    Is it OK if I bring febreze and spray it around people who smell like silly gooses or will I get yelled at by security? Maybe Enforcers can carry some on their utility belts.
    Spraying anything on anyone else is always a bad idea at PAX. We do use Febreze (and we try to only use the anti-allergen Febreze), but we do so before we arrive, or when we get to our storage areas during the day.

Fun idea, but besides pissing people off, it can definitely cause other forms of unexpected irritation.

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • JonnyNeroJonnyNero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PAX Prime has never smelt bad to me...except in certain pockets of bottle necking

• MrDoctorProfessorMrDoctorProfessor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How easy is it to refund the 3 day passes? I just found out I may be going to Afghanistan before PAX:( Im going to keep them until I know for sure

noAZAb5.png?1
    Hey Satan!
    Steam
  • whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hit the help button on the registration page and send them a message. Did this for East when I got accepted as an Enforcer, 'twas not a problem.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • gerfiglmacgerfiglmac Registered User
    edited April 2010
    So if I plan on applying to be a volunteer, should I just go ahead and buy a three day pass anyways if I don't get the opportunity?
    I haven't volunteered at PAX before, just attended, so I don't really know the system other than what is in that description.

edited April 2010
    Yeah, better to be safe. If you do get accepted as an enforcer, you will have an opportunity to get a refund for the three day pass.

• ThranxThranx Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, there was no "inform me of the BYOC LAN" checkbox in the PAX Prime ticket registration.

Please tell me is in error or new design... no BYOC = Sad Thranx.

• whypick1whypick1 [E] ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Probably an oversight, like with the lack of Enforcer applications earlier on. Might want to shoot a PM to heels about that.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff regular
    edited April 2010
    We found that the vast majority of people who signed up wanted to know about BYOC, so we just decided to send it off to everyone and save everyone the extra prompt.

• nervenerve Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    Spraying anything on anyone else is always a bad idea at PAX. We do use Febreze (and we try to only use the anti-allergen Febreze), but we do so before we arrive, or when we get to our storage areas during the day.

Fun idea, but besides pissing people off, it can definitely cause other forms of unexpected irritation.

I didn't mean to actually spray it on people, just in the area. But, yea, I figured it wouldn't be allowed ;/

edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »

I didn't mean to actually spray it on people, just in the area. But, yea, I figured it wouldn't be allowed ;/

People have allergies and such so doing that is just as much of a nono

• oxfroggyoxfroggy Registered User
    edited April 2010
    So how am I going to be miserable? I'm quiet and shy and normally make a silly goose out of myself in social situations. I went once, but I had my husband and friend with me, and let them do the introducing while I had fun in the background. This year it's just my husband and me and strangers in the hotel room and I'm nervous that I'm going to be awkward and lonely :(

edited April 2010
    no way. There are going to be tonnes of people at pax who feel just like you. try playing some board games in line and invite the people around you to play, or sit down at a random tabletop or console free play game and say hello.

We're all pretty nice people. You'll have a great time!

• Hammer24Hammer24 Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    How does one go about apply for a enforcer role for Pax West in Seattle when it comes around?

edited April 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    If (big IF) theres public applications this year (theres a lot of east enforcers coming over, its unknown at this point) the application thing will be on the front page of Penny-Arcade.

Just buy a badge, if theres enforcer applications and you get accepted you can get a refund.

This discussion has been closed.