As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• Options
    heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1. The closing Ceremony for PAX is scheduled to end at 6:00pm on Sunday, that said I would say 6:30 by the time you actually make it out of PAX if you stay that long.

2. From the ticketing website help section:

Q: My address, phone number, and/or email address has changed. Where do I update my information so the packet goes to the right place?

A: Email the updated information to:
    Cathy Glickstein
    Senior Registration Manager
    Reed Exhibitions
    cglickstein@reedexpo.com

tadaaaaa!

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    SevorakSevorak Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thank you much.

Sevorak on
    steam_sig.png 3DS: 0748-2282-4229
  • Options
    GeeCeeGeeCee Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You should plan on the closing ceremony going late. It always goes late. Plus, there's going to be massive hordes leaving at that time.
    Serenity wrote: »
    \Speaking of that, where is willcall this year? Sheraton like somebody suggested or is it at the Hyatt again? (or was it at the Sheraton last year too? Sorry, memory is blurry)

My email confirmation says the following:
    If you purchase your badge after August 5th, or if you're located outside of the US, your badge will be available for pickup at will-call (located at the Sheraton Hotel, Next to the Convention Center).

GeeCee on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Will Call is indeed in the Sheraton.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    StupidStupid Newcastle, NSWRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd like to reiterate that it is WELL WORTH IT (in terms of both time and money) to stay until Monday.

After being at PAX for three days, leaving on Sunday night will leave you going through withdrawal like a binge junkie going cold turkey. There are going to be literally hundreds of pick-up gaming events after the show that will let you come down from PAX in a more reasonable and measured fashion.

Plus as an added bonus, you have less stress wondering about how you are going to make it from the convention center to the airport in 43 minutes, or what you're going to do during the two-hour long wait AT the airport.

Trust me. Book a flight out on mid-morning Monday. You'll thank me later.

Stupid on

26904.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the latest flights back here on Sunday are at 7:50, so I'd have to miss a good chunk if I leave on Sunday. I'll have to talk this over with the guys I'm going with.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sevorak wrote: »
    Yeah, the latest flights back here on Sunday are at 7:50, so I'd have to miss a good chunk if I leave on Sunday. I'll have to talk this over with the guys I'm going with.

Ya know, the PAXtrain leaves Monday morning. Not to try to tempt you but the San Jose Amtrak station is one of the nicest on the Coast Starlight route- and it's right across from the Tank so you already know where it is...

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for that... will head to sheraton then....

And as for leaving dates, I find it's easier and less stressful to leave the morning after PAX ends. Then you can also attend any post-PAX/wrap-up events... If you have the money, I'd stay the one extra night... that's just me though. Some people like to get home that same night and resume normal life on Monday.

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    nemaihne wrote: »
    Sevorak wrote: »

Ya know, the PAXtrain leaves Monday morning. Not to try to tempt you but the San Jose Amtrak station is one of the nicest on the Coast Starlight route- and it's right across from the Tank so you already know where it is...

That is tempting, but there's no way I can take 24 hours each way for travel. Though I guess I wouldn't have to miss work on Wednesday since the train leaves so late... I already bought the flights though, so it's a moot point.

Sevorak on
  • Options
    iscribbleiscribble Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll be attending PAX for the first time this year, but I'm still unclear about some things. In particular I am confused about the queue room...

What are people queuing in the queue room for? Access to the opening ceremony? The keynote speaker? Access to the exhibit hall?

I saw a post that mentioned grabbing something from the PA merch booth on the "way to the queue room" Friday morning ...what else is available without going to the queue room? What will someone miss out on if they get to the queue room at 9:45am on Friday (I presume this is "late" given PAX is supposed to start at 10)?

iscribble on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There's lineups for everything, more or less. To get into PAX when it opens, keynote, big panels, etc. I don't think you'll miss anything other than potentially the opening keynote.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    iscribble wrote: »
    I'll be attending PAX for the first time this year, but I'm still unclear about some things. In particular I am confused about the queue room...

What are people queuing in the queue room for? Access to the opening ceremony? The keynote speaker? Access to the exhibit hall?

I saw a post that mentioned grabbing something from the PA merch booth on the "way to the queue room" Friday morning ...what else is available without going to the queue room? What will someone miss out on if they get to the queue room at 9:45am on Friday (I presume this is "late" given PAX is supposed to start at 10)?
    The Queue Room is where you line up to get into all of the Main Theater events, including the opening keynote address, Friday and Saturday night concerts, and closing ceremonies. It is also where people wait at the beginning of each day to get into the Expo Hall.

The Merch Booth is the only PAX item you'll be able to get to until door open, unless you have a BYOC (bring your own computer) pass, which will let you set up in the lan room a couple hours early.

As for showing up at 9:45, there's not a ton of point in that. Typically, by this time, the line is so huge that it's flowing out the doors. You will still likely get a swag bag, but will miss out on the various lols that occur in the line. The thin is, if you wait until a few minutes after 10, you can just walk right in, though the keynote will probably be full.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »

The Queue Room is where you line up to get into all of the Main Theater events, including the opening keynote address, Friday and Saturday night concerts, and closing ceremonies. It is also where people wait at the beginning of each day to get into the Expo Hall.

The Merch Booth is the only PAX item you'll be able to get to until door open, unless you have a BYOC (bring your own computer) pass, which will let you set up in the lan room a couple hours early.

As for showing up at 9:45, there's not a ton of point in that. Typically, by this time, the line is so huge that it's flowing out the doors. You will still likely get a swag bag, but will miss out on the various lols that occur in the line. The thin is, if you wait until a few minutes after 10, you can just walk right in, though the keynote will probably be full.

Thanks for the response! That clears things up for me, but raises a couple of more questions:

What is the advantage of being there as soon as the queue room opens up? Is there an advantage other than being towards the front of the keynote and having more time to talk with like-minded early birds?

You said that BYOC pass holders get into the LAN room early to setup. Once their rig is setup do they usually sit & play, or go to the queue room? Or are they allowed to wander around?

iscribble on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What is the advantage of being there as soon as the queue room opens up? Is there an advantage other than being towards the front of the keynote and having more time to talk with like-minded early birds?

That's basically it
    You said that BYOC pass holders get into the LAN room early to setup. Once their rig is setup do they usually sit & play, or go to the queue room? Or are they allowed to wander around?

They can go the queue, I suppose, but generally they stay in the BYOC room until PAX opens, then they're free to roam.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Hooray! I think my questions are answered, except for one, probably very silly one: What happens at the keynote?

I get that TB and Gabe and possibly a celebrity guest come out and say hello, have fun... which sounds very exciting, but is that all that happens?

iscribble on
  • Options
    whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's a keynote speaker (announced a month or so before PAX) that gives a speech for about an hour about some aspect of gaming (can't really tell you too much since I've only caught part of Wheaton's '07 speech).

whypick1 on
  • Options
    dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They keynote speeches are always good, often great, sometimes epic (the Ball on '06, "Don't be a dick" in '07, and "Welcome home" in East '10). They have been filling up faster and faster over the past few years, though, so showing up at 9:45 or 10 is likely to see you turned away from the Main Theater because of crowding.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • Options
    SerenitySerenity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dyaballikl wrote: »
    They keynote speeches are always good, often great, sometimes epic (the Ball on '06, "Don't be a dick" in '07, and "Welcome home" in East '10). They have been filling up faster and faster over the past few years, though, so showing up at 9:45 or 10 is likely to see you turned away from the Main Theater because of crowding.

Interesting... I tried to avoid most lineups last year... and it worked for the most part. Walked in to most of the events right when they started... was turned away from a few though. I guess if you wanna be near the front, you'd better line up?

What's the best way of dealing with lineups? I think my problem is I just stand there most of the time and then get bored and decide to chat to people... someone should make a "dealing with lineups" guide ;)

Serenity on
    qxd8or7ouox3.png
  • Options
    SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Serenity wrote: »
    I think my problem is I just stand there most of the time and then get bored and decide to chat to people...

This is not a problem.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Got something to add, I'm pretty sure it will be asked 10 kazillion times before PAX: Prime and double that before PAX: East.

Q: CAN PAX COME TO MY TOWN?! PLZPLZPLZPLZPLZPLZ WE GOT THE CON SPACE, HOTELS, AND WE LOOK SEXY! PUT ANOTHER PAX IN MY TOWN!

A: No and don't go posting somewhere on the forums about petitioning or getting other people to support your futile demands. Wait for the OFFICIAL post regarding this topic is made (which will be WAY later) and put down suggestions in the survey. Likelihood of another US PAX: little-to-none!

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know there was a large health concern last year with Swine Flu and there was a small outbreak of it at PAX last year. While I as lucky enough not to get H1N1, I did walk away with a nasty case of "Nerd Flu" which left me out of work for some 2 weeks after.

I understand people have allergies to a whole range of things, but will Purell/hand sanitizer be readily available throughout the convention and/or center? I know a lot of places installed dispensers after last year. I'll be bringing my own just in case but it would nice to have them around considering how much surface-touch interaction there is in an event like this.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    seriously, just wash your hands. Sanitizer does very little good if you don't wash your hands when ever possible.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    There were motion activated sanitizers available at East. There may be the same at Prime this year.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Plus hand sanitizer doesn't really kill viruses... certainly not anything airborne which is how you will most likely catch something at PAX.

Just use common sense:
    Wash your hands often (before eating most of all)
    Don't touch your eyes/nose with unwashed hands.
    Don't lick your unwashed hands
    Don't lick other peoples unwashed hands
    COVER YOUR MOUTH WHEN YOU COUGH/SNEEZE
    Cough/Sneeze into your elbow or sleeve, not hands

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I nearly cried when I heard about MAGFest's Jamspace at PAX East, which I could not get to. Are there any plans to do something similar at Prime this year?

The MAGFest people appear to be Easterners, so I am not optimistic about them hosting something so far away. I desperately want this to happen, though. Is anyone else with me?

If you don't know what I'm talking about, the following is from the original Jamspace thread:
    What is Jamspace?
    Jamspace is an area where anyone who has any idea how to play an instrument is invited to come up and play music, and anyone who doesn't is invited to watch. The main focus is usually video game music, so you're guaranteed to hear classic stuff that you know and love all weekend.

What equipment is provided?
    Almost everything you could ever need. We provide the lighting, amps, guitars, basses, pianos, and drums, and then you provide the talent. You're welcome to bring your own instrument as well. We don't have any violins or saxophones or the like, so when someone brings one of those in, it always gives an unexpectedly awesome result.

Who's allowed to play?
    Anyone. Can you play some stuff on the piano? Go ahead. Do you have a backing track that you'd like to play guitar over? Be our guest. Are you in a full band that wants to play a mini set? The stage is yours. Do you want to meet other musicians and jam with them? Jam away.

chicazul on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited April 2010
    We don't have any plans to do that at this year's PAX. Sorry!

David Coffman on
  • Options
    chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We don't have any plans to do that at this year's PAX. Sorry!

That is the response I was hoping not to hear. Back to Plan A, then.

Thanks for the reply!

chicazul on
  • Options
    cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    There were motion activated sanitizers available at East. There may be the same at Prime this year.

Thanks for the heads up. While I understand the obvious need to wash one's hands, sometimes this isn't always possible (stuck in lines, running late, etc) and there's always the chance of there being out of soap/hot water which has happened to me more times than not in public buildings. Just wanted to know if I should bring my own travel bottle of sanitizer.

cocowoushi on
  • Options
    ZilpepZilpep Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    cocowoushi wrote: »
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Thanks for the heads up. While I understand the obvious need to wash one's hands, sometimes this isn't always possible (stuck in lines, running late, etc) and there's always the chance of there being out of soap/hot water which has happened to me more times than not in public buildings. Just wanted to know if I should bring my own travel bottle of sanitizer.

I don't think anyone would argue against you bringing your own hand sanitizer, It's even in the "what to bring section", under the really prepared. That's how my group last year avoided H1Nerd1, except me... who didn't use it and caught it. Like big red said though, Airborne viruses are harder to avoid, and sanitizer rarely kills viruses.

Zilpep on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That Jamspace thing sounds awesome and Prime should get it too.

GeeCee on
  • Options
    Skews MeSkews Me Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If there will be nothing like Musicjam, what do you have planned in the way of music games, entertainment, etc., here in this little ole music town known as Seattle?

Skews Me on
    Uphold gaming integrity and the light in the world of gaming - thexboxboys.com

Even the smallest drop in the bucket makes a wave
    - Skews Me on Project Playlist
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Skews Me wrote: »
    If there will be nothing like Musicjam, what do you have planned in the way of music games, entertainment, etc., here in this little ole music town known as Seattle?
    For sure, the usual Rock Band stage and Friday/Saturday night concerts. Beyond that, we're still over 4 months away, so more may be announced.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
  • Options
    spidermeadowsspidermeadows Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've been working comic book shows and doing various types of theatre gigs for a few years now and, this being my first opportunity to go to PAX, I would absolutely love to work the show in some capacity. I seem to remember an application on the main PA site a year or two ago for an Enforcer gig but can't seem to find one on the PAX site for Prime for this year. Am I missing it or has it just not been posted or are is it possibly just a very clever attempt to keep me from working the show?

I'm guessing the latter, but am curious nonetheless. If someone could share the knowledge or application, that'd be awesome! Thanks.

spidermeadows on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    BigRed wrote: »
    If (big IF) theres public applications this year (theres a lot of east enforcers coming over, its unknown at this point) the application thing will be on the front page of Penny-Arcade.

Just buy a badge, if theres enforcer applications and you get accepted you can get a refund.

That

whypick1 on
  • Options
    spidermeadowsspidermeadows Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    awesome. thanks a bunch.

spidermeadows on
  • Options
    MelesMelesMelesMeles Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a DS, but use it rarely. Any advice on which games I need to acquire and get good on?

MelesMeles on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited May 2010
    MelesMeles wrote: »
    I have a DS, but use it rarely. Any advice on which games I need to acquire and get good on?

Based on east, I'd pick up one of the new Pokemon games. Fucking everyone had one of those pokewalkers.

SlickShughes on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Personally I would go old school and keep a copy of mario kart around.

or

TETRIS DS.

heels on

www.reedpop.com
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    heels wrote: »
    TETRIS DS.

Yeah if you can find it.