As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Prime 2010 Info and FAQ Thread (ASK QUESTIONS HERE)

• MegamaniacoMegamaniaco Madrid, Spain (again!)Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So, long story short, I wanted to go to PAX last year, but couldn't for several reasons (it's a conspiracy, I tells ye!).

This year, I've already asked for a temporary Visa (I'm from Spain) in order to go to Seattle. BUT they've given me the appointment on July 13th; that's awfully close to September (they say that they need at least 6-8 weeks to give you the Visa).

Anyway, I still have faith that good ol' Uncle Sam will let me in in time.
    That said, Which are the best hotels? The nicest parties? The geekiest places? A PAX Guide need to be written ASAP with stuff like this :3

Thanks for your attention, people.

Megamaniaco on
    Steam ID: Megamaniaco // LoL summoner: Corcorigan (NA), Megamaniaco (EUW) // Hearthstone: Megamaniaco.2120

Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.
  • binary1230binary1230 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    UPDATE: Regarding Jamspace at PAX Prime 2010:

Actually, I just confirmed yesterday with Heels that we are, for sure, doing Jamspace at PAX West! Details are still in progress at this point, but you can check the main Jamspace thread at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=107382
    chicazul wrote: »
    We don't have any plans to do that at this year's PAX. Sorry!

That is the response I was hoping not to hear. Back to Plan A, then.

Thanks for the reply!

binary1230 on
  • SYCOKALISYCOKALI Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I'm new here and I apologize if I have written this in the wrong area or if it has been posted before. I have searched and didn't find anything about how I could become an enforcer, so can someone a mod or a member help me with the information needed? It would be much appreciated.

SYCOKALI on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    SYCOKALI wrote: »
    I'm new here and I apologize if I have written this in the wrong area or if it has been posted before. I have searched and didn't find anything about how I could become an enforcer, so can someone a mod or a member help me with the information needed? It would be much appreciated.
    BigRed wrote: »
    If (big IF) theres public applications this year (theres a lot of east enforcers coming over, its unknown at this point) the application thing will be on the front page of Penny-Arcade.

Just buy a badge, if theres enforcer applications and you get accepted you can get a refund.

Theres a strong possibility that no new enforcer applicants will be accepted for Prime.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • MyDcmbrMyDcmbr PEWPEWPEW!!! America's WangRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    heels wrote: »
    TETRIS DS.

Yeah if you can find it.

eBay baby!

I just got a copy new in package for $14 shipped!

MyDcmbr on
    Steam
    So we get stiff once in a while. So we have a little fun. What’s wrong with that? This is a free country, isn’t it? I can take my panda any place I want to. And if I wanna buy it a drink, that’s my business.
  • DengakuslashDengakuslash Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Alright, as the topic suggests, I am most likely going to PAX this year and it will be my first time, so I had a few questions about it, and it'd be great if you all could answer them.

1.) How is parking?
    Is it easy to find a parking spot, or should I spend the extra cash to find a hotel in walking distance?

2.) Are there gaming tournaments of any sorts?

3.) Is it TOO crowded to enjoy?

4.) Is the merch relatively cheap or relatively expensive?

Thanks.

Dengakuslash on
  • millislimmillislim Black Sheep Sacramento, CARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    1. Parking is near by but expensive...I think it runs about $20+ a day

2. Tons of tournaments from the blessed Omegathon, to Team Fortress, to Guitar Hero to table top game...and if you don't feel like competing there's always the free play rooms

3. It depends on your definition of crowded...there's enough people to feel like you're dominating the facility but not so many that if you really had to go pee you wouldn't make it because the bathroom lines are long...it can be crowded around food places and when Gabe or Tycho (Mike and Jerry) randomly show up in a crowd...or if free stuff starts to be given away... I guess you can expect crowds (clusters) in places you would want to crowd to

4. Merch runs from reasonable to rediculous...you want a super rare import game from the Pink Godzilla booth? Super expensive... Want a key chain from the same booth? Relatively cheap

millislim on
    [X] Pax tix
    [X] Train tix
    [_] Finish Vivi costume
    [X] Anxiously wait
    edited May 2010
    Theres also the FAQ thread above this one to field questions in :)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=116516

BigRed on
    edited May 2010
    Oh, sorry, I didn't know that, thanks :D

Dengakuslash on
    edited May 2010
    It says you can't play M-Rated games if you're under 17 (I'm 16, I'll without m-rated games for a few days.)

What about RP games?

Dengakuslash on
  • caddyalancaddyalan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "RP" stands for "rating pending." If a game is commercially released, it won't be rating pending anymore. (Only games from small / indie publishers lack content ratings.)

caddyalan on
  • orangotangosorangotangos Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    Hi everyone!

Due to a series of unfortunate circumstances, I'm no longer able to attend PAX in Seattle this September. I know! So frustrating. I would have loved to go. But now I have two three-day badges on my hands that I don't know what to do with them. Does anyone know if there's someone I can contact to return them? Or do I need to sell them through a third party?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

orangotangos on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Registration page -> Help. Should get you squared away with getting a refund.

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If we're hosting a public (but unofficial) event during PAX, how possible would it be to add a flyer advertising it into the swag bags. Would this probably be out of the price range of a few college students?

Heleor on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Everything in the swag bags are not only supplied by, but (AFAIK) also paid for by PAX Exhibitors or others who pay to get their swag into the bags. Also, 20-30 thousand fliers are quite expensive!

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
  • AgrajagAgrajag Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    [edited 5.28.10: boiled down and itemized]

OK

Let me preface this by stating that I've spent hours reading the forum and have read the FAQ twice. If I still managed to overlook something, I apologize, graveyard shift can do that sometimes.

An introduction then - I'm Russ. My girlfriend Nicole and I are taking a year away from Burning Man to come to PAX. I'm an electronics engr. tech and Nicole is an evil scientist. I'm really excited about the event especially since it seems that everyone is collectively focused on enjoying themselves which can make for a great atmosphere.

Questions:

1. We don't have a DS. Does the PSP get much xplayer action at PAX? If so, what games should I make sure I have?
    --- Sounds like the PSP is the underdog at PAX. I guess we'll be playing solo.

2. Roughly how many people play MTG there?

3. Pub crawl info?
    --- not announced yet.

4: What's the deal with the free-play areas? Is there a lot of multiplayer via system link?

5: What food can be brought in?

6: Does anyone have any event info from previous PAXs? If you were to put together a quick breakdown of how you spent your time, how would it read?

Thanks in advance to those with answers and advice!

-Russ

Agrajag on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    0. Expect this thread to get moved here
    1. Can't answer about PSP, but there are some there (just a lot less than the DS, as you might expect)
    2. Can't answer about decks, but with lines lasting at least a half hour, CCGs are entirely possible.
    3. The pub crawl is quite organized, but AtlusParker (the dude who runs it) hasn't put up the thread for it yet
    4. Free-play is first-come, first-served, as are tourney signups, which are day-of. No word on what the tourney games will be, but I kind of doubt GoW2 would be one.
    5. Not sure where you heard that, as the WSCTC has several food vendors in it. Now, if you were to bring a cooler full stuff, different story. As for items not allowed, top of the list is anything that looks like a gun or could be considered a weapon. Total no-no.
    6. Most people have the problem of there being too much stuff to do and not enough time to do it. Don't be surprised if when the schedule comes out, you make a list of stuff you want to hit then find yourself ignoring it within the first hour.

whypick1 on
  • cmorgancmorgan Registered User new member
    edited May 2010
    I am trying to find out if it is against any rules at PAX to sell products without a vendor's booth. I have already registered to go, and I want to sell t shirts while I'm in long lines. I can't find anything that says one way or the other. Can anyone help?

Thanks

venkal@hotmail.com

cmorgan on
  • SlickShughesSlickShughes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cmorgan wrote: »
    I am trying to find out if it is against any rules at PAX to sell products without a vendor's booth. I have already registered to go, and I want to sell t shirts while I'm in long lines. I can't find anything that says one way or the other. Can anyone help?

Thanks

venkal@hotmail.com

Yeah they won't want you doing that.

SlickShughes on
    edited May 2010
    You can bring in your own food (like some sandwiches or granola bars in a backpack). Just dont go crazy about it like hauling an entire suitcase or cooler with food. If you need such a quantity of food, store some in your hotel room.

BigRed on
    edited May 2010
    re: food

Thanks for the advice here. I guess I'm looking for a less ambiguous line. A cooler can be small or large. The food is mostly to be used for gifting and will not be sold. I suppose that 20-30 granola bars is what I have in mind.

Agrajag on
    edited May 2010
    Agrajag wrote: »

Thanks for the advice here. I guess I'm looking for a less ambiguous line. A cooler can be small or large. The food is mostly to be used for gifting and will not be sold. I suppose that 20-30 granola bars is what I have in mind.

I would only bring in food for immediate (within that day) personal consumption/use, which I believe is the rule anyway...

BigRed on
    edited May 2010
    Agrajag wrote: »

I would only bring in food for intimidate (within that day) personal consumption/use, which I believe is the rule anyway...

Which is already more lenient than most other cons, so kudos for that! :D

Heleor on
    edited May 2010
    Wouldn't my granola bar idea ride the same vein as the cookie brigade folks. Perhaps the cookie brigade is connected or gets special treatment..?

Agrajag on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Would your granola bars stand to donate thousands of dollars to Child's Play?

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited May 2010
    No, they lost their ass in the market

---kidding: sarcasm for rhetoric

I'm not trying to knock the brigade. I'll assume they're connected.

If anyone knows what the rules are definitely, please, let me know.

Agrajag on
  • chicazulchicazul Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As I understand it the cookie brigade is not connected to PA at all. Check out the first post in the Cookie Brigade thread for some history. Anyone can sign up to join the brigade and/or donate baked goods.

Half the people in line haul around laptop bags or backpacks filled with stuff. There is no bag or body search before going into PAX.

In short, Agrajag, I fail to see why you couldn't bring a few dozen granola bars.

chicazul on
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay quick question, when is the last day to pre-register? I always forget. Thanks in advance :)

Curse-Ten on
  • CaptainTapoleCaptainTapole Awesome in the Possum - Yee-Haw! Northern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Usually by the first or second week of August to receive the Passes in the Mail (if living in US.)

...Or until they are sold out. Whichever comes first. But with everyone else saying it, the sooner you purchase it, the better.

CaptainTapole on
    The Girl Who Gave Everyone the Shortest Jenga Game Ever.
  • Curse-TenCurse-Ten Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Okay I'll have to keep an eye on how many tickets are left. Thanks!

Curse-Ten on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited May 2010
    They don't really start releasing the numbers on how many are left until those numbers are very low. If you're going to PAX, buy your tickets as soon as you have the cash on hand.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited May 2010
    Approximately when have they sold out in the past?

Heleor on
    edited May 2010
    East sold out of 3 day badges in the beginning of February, which was the fastest (think last year's Prime was beginning of August or so).

whypick1 on
    edited May 2010
    chicazul wrote: »

In short, Agrajag, I fail to see why you couldn't bring a few dozen granola bars.

Hippies rejoice! Soylent green for everyone!

Agrajag on
  • heelsheels Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can let you know that we are tracking ahead of where PAX Prime tickets were tracking this year at this time.

heels on
    < devious1> heels: you are worst idea person ever

http://twitter.com/h_e_e_l_s

www.reedpop.com
    edited May 2010
    *DO NOT WAIT UNTIL THE LAST MINUTE TO BUY YOUR PAX TICKETS*

Buy them now, you can always resell them here on the forums for what you paid for it.l

BigRed on
    edited June 2010
    Oh, I know. I bought my ticket two months ago. XD

My friends, however, need to be poked and prodded about it.

Heleor on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited June 2010
    Buy them now, you can always resell them here on the forums for what you paid for it.l

This may or may not be true this year, but there are methods of obtaining a refund.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• gerfiglmacgerfiglmac Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    SYCOKALI wrote: »
    If (big IF) theres public applications this year (theres a lot of east enforcers coming over, its unknown at this point) the application thing will be on the front page of Penny-Arcade.

Just buy a badge, if theres enforcer applications and you get accepted you can get a refund.

Theres a strong possibility that no new enforcer applicants will be accepted for Prime.

I'm just curious. What will the decision to accept new Enforces be based on?

gerfiglmac on
    edited June 2010
    Probably how many veterans sign up and how many roles are available.

whypick1 on
This discussion has been closed.