As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Law and Gaming Panel

Lynx_Lynx_ Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in PAX Archive
Hey PAXers,
I was writing a pitch for a law and gaming panel at PAX Prime, and before I realized it, I was talking about mergers and acquisitions and my internet tried to force quit out of boredom (not really, my router just sucks). It was then that I realized that I should ask people who are NOT boring law students what aspects of the law that they're interested in so that I can better figure out what might be a good topic to suggest.

Here are some of the topics that I came up with:

1. Click "I Agree" to Continue: End User License Agreements and What They Mean For You (you know, whenever you install a game/download anything ever you see WALL O TEXT that nobody reads. does it matter or not? FIND OUT HERE)
2. From Jack Thompson to Hot Coffee: Regulation of Video Games
3. Law in Virtual Worlds
4. The Future of Net Neutrality. This isn't specific to video games, but it's a big topic right now, and is probably relevant to most people at PAX. This refers to the issue of ISPs regulating which sites their subscribers can go to. Just today, the DC Appeals Court smacked down the FCC and said that Comcast could block whatever sites it wants.

I'd really, really appreciate your input if you have any interest in the topic. In fact, let me know if you have NO interest in the topic, so maybe I'll know if I'm a hopeless geek and would be better off hanging out at GDC.

TL;DR: What video game law related topics are interesting to you, if any?

THX MUCH!

Lynx_ on

• Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What about expanding on "Law in Virtual Worlds" and talking about games like WoW where you technically do not own any part of your character, to Second Life where everything in game can be bought and sold by 3rd parties.

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1) I dunno. I think this covers a lot of specific issues that might be interesting, but the EULA part isn't. We all know the EULA is important and we know we should read it. We just don't, because it's a wall of text and it's preventing us from playing the game we want to play. Do a panel on the controversial/interesting topics that EULAs encapsulate, but not the EULA itself. I don't think that's very interesting.

2) Pass. We've heard it all before, and honestly, no one should give a shit about Jack Thompson. Or whoever the Jack Thompson of the moment is. 3) Elaboration would be required, but I'm intrigued.

3) This is too broad to even get its own number, but I'm certainly interested in the topic. Thus my replying to this thread.

4) Yes. I'm interested. This is a topic that interests me. My interest is piqued.

SmallLady's idea) Also interested. Very interesting topic with a lot of different opinions.

I can't come up with my own suggestion right now, but it's definitely on my mind. Good thread!

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thx for feedback, Arco and SmallLady.
    I just saw that there was a panel like this last year at Prime 09. Does anyone have a description? Those people might be planning on coming back, too, in which case I am slightly unnecessary :)

(currently curious about prospects of the venture capital & law angle)

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd actually be more interested in international game regulation vs american

I.E. Australia and Europe Vs USA

ZeroHourHero on
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hi Lynx,

I've done a Legal Issues in Gaming panel at PAX for the last couple years. If you're interested, please get in touch with me with some ideas, we're always looking for new content or new panelists.

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SWATJesterSWATJester Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Chrome won't let me edit, you can email me at my username at gmail, or at dan@danrosenthal.org

SWATJester on
    Moderator, PAX Prime 08, 09, 10, 10-East, panels on "Legal Issues in Gaming"
    Contributing Editor, http://www.gamepolitics.com
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SWATJester wrote: »
    Chrome won't let me edit, you can email me at my username at gmail, or at dan@danrosenthal.org
    Sweet, email sent :D

ZHH, that's a cool idea. Not sure if it'd be too academic for PAX, but I'm sure there are other people interested (myself included).

Lynx_ on
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Without reading anyone's suggestions and contaminating my train of thought:
    What trends do you see EULAs heading in? Have they been evolving over time to progressively be less and less in the interest of the end user? Are there any emerging trends cropping up that are actually pretty scary and can screw you in x number of ways? Aside from the legalese, have you noticed whether the terms are tending toward being worded in a surreptitious manner? Building off of that, what terms pertaining to DRM do we generally accept when installing DRM on our computers? What are we commonly accepting now that we did not generally have to accept before the turn of the century? What recourse do we generally have if we actually choose not to accept the EULA, and are these avenues of recourse realistically feasible (ie, returning the opened game to one of any number of common chain stores)?

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    nemaihnenemaihne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd definitely be interested in any discussions on net neutrality. That's a hot button for a lot of people.
    And the extension of law into virtual spaces is pretty intriguing.
    And I really should look into a discussion on EULAs since I sometimes wonder if not reading the darn things is going to someday really come back to bite me.

But I wish Jack Thompson would just go away. Zero interest, unless he himself were presenting the panel and I hope even an idiot like Thompson is smarter than to come into gamer occupied territory.

nemaihne on
    I *think* that's what I meant to say...
  • Options
    ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lynx_ wrote: »
    SWATJester wrote: »
    Sweet, email sent :D

ZHH, that's a cool idea. Not sure if it'd be too academic for PAX, but I'm sure there are other people interested (myself included).

Well my big interest in it is how some games have to be completely changed for release in other countries I remember something about Left 4 Dead 2 having to be changed for Australian Release, and I think there was something with Resident Evil 5.

That sort of thing, the restriction on developers for releasing their games in other countries is a big thing of mine, because I am fascinated by censorship. I might even consider helping with that panel in regards to international censorship in regards to games.

ZeroHourHero on
This discussion has been closed.