The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Hunter] The Field Project

PonyPony Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Critical Failures
So, here's the thread for my Hunter campaign!

Here's our Hunters:

Horseshoe - Hank Walker, Violent Bastard with a Heart of Gold
RawrBear - Adrian Vance, Spoiled Socialite
DE?AD - Esmereldrey Sandford, Air-headed, would-be superstar
MoosehatIV - Beauregard Walsh, Redneck Hunter
Smart Hero - Jack Brewer, Adventurous Nature-Lover
Zen Vulgarity - Paul Rifkin, Relentless Prosecutor

When last we left our crew of Hunters, they all died.

That's right, these noble souls (and the less-than-noble ones) are all already dead!

But they aren't going to stay that way...

I'm going to start this thing in an hour or two with an initial post setting up the scenario. You guys can post after that.

For the purposes of this game, I would like actual in-character dialogue, roleplayed actions, or other "fluff text" in italics, while the rest is for regular text.

I would prefer we keep OOC chatter to SE++'s RPG thread (using a chat forum, for chat? What a concept!)

How do you roll? Why, you use Invisible Castle, of course!

Whenever you make a roll, please link to the Invisible Castle page with the results of your roll. Also, because Invisible Castle isn't able to do WoD's "success rolls" style, you'll just have to roll d10's and then pay attention to what the individual dice rolls are, and of course re-rolling any "10 agains" or whathaveyou.

More information on where you start and what the fuck is going on is pending.

Current Map
Map:
Spoiler:
Legend:
Spoiler:

Pony on
«13456715

Posts

  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome.

    Also, I think if you add ".hitsopen(8,10)" to the dice rolled (5d10, 6d10, or what have you) it should count success and throw in the extra dice for rolling a 10.

    qsfwtzhym4ax.png
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DE?AD wrote: »
    Awesome.

    Also, I think if you add ".hitsopen(8,10)" to the dice rolled (5d10, 6d10, or what have you) it should count success and throw in the extra dice for rolling a 10.

    Holy shit!

    Well, that's wonderful news!

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    We are starting

    You awaken.

    You didn't expect to awaken. Maybe, in your last few moments, you had made peace with what was going to happen to you. Maybe you died terrified. Or maybe, you didn't see your death coming at all, and don't even understand what you are awakening from!

    Regardless, you awaken. You stare up at the ceiling, blinking. You're in some kind of... container? A bed? Both? It's confusing. You're laying on a padded surface, about the size of a hospital bed, and there are clear glass barriers around the edge of the bed. They extend about a foot and a half high, and on top of that is some kind of tightened clear plastic sheeting, almost like plastic wrap you'd put over a sandwich container.

    There's no air in this container! You feel yourself gasping for breath, and instinctively you punch through the plastic "skin" on the top of the bed, sitting upright.

    Looking around this massive room, which must be about 60 or 70 feet wide and long, you see a dozen or so other containers identical to yours. Some have other people sitting up in them, gasping for air and glancing around just like you!

    This... place, it must be some kind of hospital or lab. It has that sterile, clinical feeling. Tiled floors, bare steel walls, and each container is attached by cords and conduits to a large central computer with many monitors that's near the ten foot wide closed metal door, the only entrance or exit out of the room that you can see.

    The walls, as previously mentioned, are bare, with two exceptions: A large "R7" written on the wall opposite the door, and a strange logo that appears next to the door.

    Aside from yourself, and the other five people sitting up, and presumably who ever is still laying down in their "pod", there doesn't appear to be anyone here.

    You feel dizzy, possibly slightly nauseous, and you have no idea what the fuck is going on.

    You can take it from here.

    Those of you who wish to do so can make an Intelligence + Composure roll to recall possibly seeing the logo before, and those of you with the Eidetic Memory Merit get a +2 to this roll.

    If you make at least 1 success, this is what you recall:
    Spoiler:

    If you make an Exceptional Success (5 successes or more), you remember the above plus:
    Spoiler:

    Edit: Added an additional detail:

    Looking down at yourself, you appear to be in... one piece. Even if, last you recall, you weren't! You're wearing some kind of wrap-around hospital gown... thing and nothing else, and you've got a bracelet on your wrist with your name and a barcode on it.

  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    1 Success

    Esmeraldrey freaks out, flailing about wildly at the plastic wrapping and managing to throw herself over the edge of the bed in the process, hitting the floor with a soft thump. After a bit more flailing, she manages to haul herself up into a seated position on the floor, planting her back against the side of the bed next to hers.

    Okay, alright. Um, there was coffee and a sandwich (Turkey? Cheese?), then that car, and...

    Oh shit. Oh shit.

    She peers cautiously around the edge, eyes widened to maximum, heart racing at absurd levels. "He-hello?" She glances down at her bracelet and tugs on it a bit.

    qsfwtzhym4ax.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    2 Successes

    Coughing, Jack shifts his feet to the side of the pod and tests his legs, unsure of how long he's been out. The last thing he can remember is the snap of that tree branch. . .must have been in bad shape, considering the looks of this place. Jack idly fumbles with the bracelet on his wrist as he walks by the next closest pod, trying to see who, or what, is in it.

    "Hey. . .I'm Jack. . ." he calls out to the other people, not sure how to finish the greeting, since he can't place any of their faces.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jack looks into pod next to him as he walks by it.

    There's a woman in it. Or, more accurately, half a woman! Whoever she was, she suffered some pretty grievous injuries, namely her entire lower body is... missing. Unlike you, she's not wearing a gown. In the horrifying space where her upper body once connected to her hips, she's got... something. Some kind of series of white wrappings that glint silvery in the light. They cover up the space, although in several instances it appears as if bone and sinew are poking through the wrappings and fusing with them.

    Are... are these things repairing her?

    Suddenly, her eyes open and she bolts up, her head barely ripping through the plastic sheet covering her pod.

    She just starts screaming

    She won't stop screaming.

    She's flailing. Is she in pain, or is she just horrified to wake up without a lower body and is lost in panic?

    You don't get to ask, because after ten seconds or so of incoherent screaming and panicked flailing, she drops into convulsions in the pod and then, mercifully, stops breathing.

  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adrian rubs his eyes, his face curled up like he's ready to hurl.

    He had expected to be hungover but this... this.... was... not his house.

    This was some sort of hospital.

    He glances around at his surroundings frantically trying to figure out where he is, until he hears screaming.

    He suddenly focuses his attention on the others and shouts, "Where is this? What the hell is going on?" in a half threatening half terrified tone.


    Edited to fix other posts sneaking in before mine.

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo jolts up out of his... packaging? Now, waking up in some strange places is far from unusual for ol' Bo, but this certainly takes the cake. Coughing and sputtering, he flexes his fingers as he remembers the cold slowly draining the life from all of his extremities before finally breaching the bastion of his heart.

    Was it a dream? Another drunken hallucination? At this point it doesn't matter. He decides to follow his standard rules for waking up with little to no knowledge of whats going on. Take stock of the situation, figure out where you are, make sure you didn't break anything, then figure out who you have to apologize to.

    He furrows his brow a bit at the logo. His momma had called them "the devil's company". But what was he doing there?

    As he looks around, other people are starting to rise from the pods.

    "Um... howd-" He is cut short be the woman screaming.

    Maybe this really is the devil's company.

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "AAAAAAH!" Jack manages to scream before stumbling back, landing hard on the floor, scrambling away from the pod and the poor dead woman. "What the fuck is this place?!" he exclaims, trying to make sense of this nightmarish scene.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The woman isn't the only "half-cooked" pod in the room. As you all awaken, so do several other people in various states of being "repaired".

    Burn victims. A woman with slashed wrists. A man who is literally missing half of his head and face.

    Whatever woke you up, woke them up too, and they don't last very long at all. Their convulsions and horrified screaming are thankfully quick, and in the end, only six of you seem to be "in one piece" enough to have survived being awakened.

  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Following the halved woman's lead, Esmeradlrey immediately starts screaming, clutching her hands over her ears and wailing like a banshee.

    It's probably a good thing she wasn't up high enough to actually see what was happening.

    qsfwtzhym4ax.png
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo turns away from the bodies looking slightly paler, "Hell if I know where we are, boss. But I got me a suspicion that it is not a place we want to stay."

    Looking around and trying to speak over whoever is currently screaming, "Now please! Does anyone know what is going on here?"

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "We have to try to help these people, there have to be doctors, nurses, someone," Jack says while standing up as the last of the screaming dies off, knowing it's probably already too late for most of them. Poor bastards. . .he thinks, grimly.

    "Someone, calm her down, I'm going to find someone in charge," Jack says, walking towards the big metal doors.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not supposed to be alive.

    But I can't breathe.

    I shouldn't even be breathing. I was shot in the head.

    Punching through the plastic wrap, it felt surreal. Am I born again? Without much more thought, Paul heaved out some delicious vomit on the floor below. He sure didn't feel settled into these things at all. Still a bit disoriented from his rebirth, Paul scanned the immediate area. Symbols everywhere. "Cheiron."

    Well, it sure was looking more and more like he was in hell. Oh, what was that lovely sound escaping the buzzing in his ears?

    Oh, a woman. Screaming.

    Without much more thought on the matter, it was time to empty whatever was in his stomach.

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "I'm sure as hell not sticking around to end up like one of those.... things. Hold up I'm coming with you" Adrian also heads for the door, trying to keep his distance from the various pods he passes by.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As Jack approaches the metal doors, they let out a loud buzzing noise and a light above the door turns red.

    They don't open.

    Looking around the door, Jack sees a panel next to it that has a keypad, a computer screen, and a glass panel that contains a red pull handle. The glass panel has yellow and black hazard stripes around it, and says "IN CASE OF EMERGENCY PULL HANDLE. PULLING HANDLE WILL ALERT SECURITY."

    If you glance at the monitors of the computer nearby, you see the same logo as before as a screen saver. Nobody is operating the computer, and the office chair nearby is knocked over.

  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo heads over to the screaming Esmeradlrey and tries to calm her down, "Woah now, little lady. Quit that howlin'. Everything is going to be ok."

    He puts on his best grin, "Now how about you tell me your name. You can call me Bo."

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "So..." spoke up a large heavily scarred man who was getting out of his pod, and apparently not bothered by the screaming, "I suppose this must be Hell."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Get your wits about you.

    Groaning as he pries himself from his pod, Paul looks around. This was...a scene. It's one thing talking to murderers cut up their victims. It's another thing to look at pictures. Hell, video even. To see this kind of facility in the flesh- hell, that was a psychopath's wet dream. Sure wasn't his. Wait, there was one obvious question to himself. Damn the symbols, the other people waking up.

    How the fuck am I not dead.

    "Anyone have any God damn idea why we're in a place with a bunch of Cheiron tags!" He shouts to anyone in his immediate area.

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Any of you good with computers?" Jack says, righting the chair. "I could pull the handle," Jack thinks, "and get on level ground with some security. . .we'd speak the same language, at least." But something about it seems ominous.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Having fully expended the air in her lungs, Esmeradlrey stops screaming and glances up at Bo, her eyes almost entirely filled with tears. "Esmer." She sniffs and wipes her arm across her eyes and pushes her hair out of her face. "Esmeraldrey Bastion Sanford," she adds, automatically.

    Climbing to her feet, she looks around the room again. "Cheiron? Wasn't that, like, a... company or something? Like, medical stuff? Bad press, right?"

    qsfwtzhym4ax.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Security?" said Hank, his question aimed toward Jack. "What makes you think that this "security" is here to protect us? I'm used to security protecting other people from me."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Well now, that's a helluva a name." He helps her to her feet and glances around, "Ya, Cheiron was some company awhile back. My momma donated 10 dollars to her local church to help spread the word of God and shut it down or somethin. The Church seemed to think they was evil and in league with the devil."

    He glances over at the scarred man, "Which might lend some credibility to your hell theory, but I got a feelin' that ain't it."

  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Paul walks over to the group of Esmer and Bo, wiping off some of the vomit with his hospital gown. He wasn't quite in the mood to give a damn about his appearance, no matter how vain he was.

    "Pharmaceutical company out of Europe, if I recall. But, by the looks of things, I think they're into a bit more than that."

    He held out a hand to Bo and Esmer. "Paul Rifkin, Esquire. Anyone else have any better idea of what the fuck we're doing here?" Not very lawyery, Paul. Whatever, Paul. Now's not the time for protocol.

    Paul looked over to the scarred man, sneering. "You know, I think your mama may be right about the hell theory as well. I sure feel like hell, to say the least. I thought I was dead. I know I should be dead. I was shot on live TV."


    He paused for a moment at that thought.

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Esquire? Fancy. I got the electric chair. Pretty sure that kills you."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • DE?ADDE?AD Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esmer shakes Paul's hand, the automatic social reaction comforting her somewhat, despite the bizarre circumstances.

    "Well, they...
    saved us, or whatever, so they can't be all bad?" She looks over the others again. "I mean, uhm, like, I guess we were all pretty banged up? I know I was, I mean. I don't... I got hit by a car."

    She looks up at the ceiling. "Shouldn't hell be hotter? Fire and stuff."

    qsfwtzhym4ax.png
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Banged up? Maybe you didn't hear me, little man... I got executed. I'm dead."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Woah, ya'll were ... dead? I mean... I was out in the cold for a long while, but they can zap you back from that? Right? I mean... the cold just shuts ya down?", Bo stammers bit trying to recall that last dark period before everything went black.

    "Maybe I was dead... damn. My momma's gonna kill me."

  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    "Esquire? Fancy. I got the electric chair. Pretty sure that kills you."

    "Pretty sure a bullet to the back of the head kills you too."

    According to my thing, Paul's a pretty damn famous prosecutor who got more so by being executed on live television. There may be a chance you guys heard about him.

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Yeah. Dead."

    Hank probably wasn't watching the news while he was in prison, Zen.

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Well, if we're all thinking we died, we're either all crazy and think we died.

    Or we were close to death and now we're here. Either case, wondering whether we're dead or in hell or shitting our beds in a loony bin doesn't help us figure out how to get out of here or what's going on." He moved over to the computer, eying it a bit.

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Or maybe we're actually dead, esquire."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • MoosehatIVMoosehatIV Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bo scratches his beard and rubs back his hair, "Look boys, we can argue about whether we are dead till judgment day, but if we are going to I would much rather have this conversation while wearing some pants."

    He gestures to the rather loose gowns they are all wearing, "Hell, I wouldn't mind finding my hat neither. Feelin' a tad naked up here"


    Sorry Zen, Bo moved to Alaska and watched Smokey and the Bandit on his Betamax.

  • HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Fuck pants. I'd rather be naked and have a gun."

    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Well, if nobody else is going to give this thing a try, I guess I'll take a crack at it. I did file a few reports back at the station. . ." Jack says, dropping into the office chair, tastefully rearranging his hospital gown. . .or whatever it is. After cracking his knuckles, Jack beings to fiddle around with the keyboard and mouse, trying to remember his old Intro to Computers class. . .from seven years ago.

    Jack attempts to use the computer, maybe access some files to figure out what the hell has been going on in this lab.

    0 Successes


    "Well. . .I'm stumped," Jack says to Adrian.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Yes and that explains me breathing right now."

    Paul calmly pushed Jack to the side. He wasn't in the mood for being courteous. He started messing around with the computer for a bit to see if he could even log in or anything of the sort.

    1 Success

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When Paul touches the mouse and keyboard, the screen saver disappears and gives you a login screen.

    The login screen reads "Field Projects Division: Zortman Facility, Live Asset Research, Ferryman Project"

    There's no login or password in the screen already, and you have no idea what it would be.

    However, just trying whatever the hell would work, Paul puts in "guest" as the login and "password" as the password.

    Strangely enough, it works! You gain "Guest Access".

    It doesn't tell you much. It gives you a layout of the facility, with a blinking "You Are Here" for section R7, and an indication to "Request additional security clearance from the security checkpoints. Note that access to Red, Yellow, Purple, and Teal sectors are restricted. To obtain clearance, please contact the security office."

    This map comes up, with an attached legend:
    Map:
    Spoiler:
    Legend:
    Spoiler:

  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Well, this looks like a very, very large facility."

    "There are more live assets areas, like this one. The thing that scares me- if they do this, what the hell else would they do to people?"

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
  • RawrBearRawrBear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Adrian glances over Paul's shoulder, crunching his nose up at the smell of vomit.

    "Yup, it certainly does..."

  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity Ask me about Super Propane and Super Propane accessoriesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Paul looks over to Adrian, smiling. "Sorry for the smell. Screeching half women in the morning do that to me- sleeping with them or not."

    344B2YT.gifsteamicon48x48.gif Know about web development? I need your help with my professional site!
«13456715
Sign In or Register to comment.