As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Game Development Omni-thread [Unity, XNA, UDK, etc]

19495969798100»

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    I need a desk. I have a desktop that is sitting in a closet doing nothing but taunting me, letting me know that I'm wasting all my free time by not having it set up to be used for making a game. Working on a laptop now and then is far from ideal.

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    As someone who programs in Java almost daily is Unity tough to pick up? I have a coworker on board with making a game with me but he sounds like he's not very interested in using Unity for it. He spent all last winter learning and picking up libGDX which looks to be a Java library.

Basically he wants me to make a very, very simple game with Unity just to see how it goes. I'm thinking of picking it up this weekend but do you guys thing I'll be in over my head?

In the end we are making a Tower Defense game.

I enjoyed C# a lot coming from Java. It's close enough to make the transition between languages easier than usual.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    I'm pretty excited to get started on this project. Glad to have someone on board... Maybe it'll be the kick in my butt that I needed to get to working on it.

• Options
    Do any of you guys use bitbucket? It looks like it's free for up to 5 users (and private).

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    edited December 2013
    If you are dead set on using Java then JMonkey is a free, open source engine that is very much full featured: http://jmonkeyengine.org/ JMonkey has a lot of the more powerful features that are only offered in Unity Pro like render to texture and also (i think) static batching.

I got stuck on the GUI tutorial but I'm pretty sure if I could get back to it now I could figure it out.

Also in my uneducated opinion the C# syntax is as good as Java and the available libraries are also as powerful. Then again if you are more hardcore Java programmer you might have a different opinion.

I successfully used Unity with Github. The main thing is to set up a good gitignore of which there are examples or I can provide you one if you want.

----

So I'm trying to set up a website to sell Valance directly ( download it here https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/221516245/valance1.0.0.19/Valance-Default-1.0.0.19.exe ) and I got rejected for a merchant account from 2checkout. Apparently I have a verizon account from like 10 years ago that went into collection and I paid it (their mistake but I didn't feel like getting them to fix it anymore). Of course they never tell you the reason why they rejected you but that is the only thing I see negative on my credit report. And despite being only for ~100 and being paid off >5 years ago its going to stay on my report for another 5 years.

Anyway I'm not under any illusions that my game will actually sell because it isn't that good. But I just want the experience of taking a game to market. So can anyone recommend a payment processor or shopping cart software that
    a. doesn't have upfront costs
    b. doesn't have quotas
    c. the fees for a 1.99 transaction is less than .49 (obviously I would prefer as low as possible).

rembrandtqeinstein on
  • Options
    I think I finally have git figured out. We switched to it at work.

It sounds like I'll just have to mess with Unity. I'd rather not use Java if I don't have to... Something new to add to my resume would be nice.

• Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Do any of you guys use bitbucket? It looks like it's free for up to 5 users (and private).

I use bitbucket, and I love it.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    So, when do we see how fast we can get to 99 pages again? I liked that game!

• Options
    Wow. I had a draft for a new thread and the forums fucking ate it.

• Options
    bloatedhippobloatedhippo Registered User regular
    I'm using Construct 2 for my own projects right now, and Unity for work.

• Options
    rembrandtqeinsteinrembrandtqeinstein Registered User regular
    I'm using Construct 2 for my own projects right now, and Unity for work.

Why did you pick construct when you are already familiar with Unity from using it professionally?

• Options
    I'm not sure if thread cutoff is automated or what. I've created a new thread at http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/185346/game-development

This discussion has been closed.