As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

• BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Dying to acid is just the normal "death" in the game (for the marine that is).
    C'est pas vrai. Facefucking, facestabbing, normal stabs and acid.
    Also it's impossible to use sprint to get away because not all areas have a long distance from aliens (See the corridor of doom for Helloween in this set)
    There was plenty of room to sprint. Helloween wasn't running. Seriously, I used this playstyle through the entire game; if it had stopped working at some point, I would have noticed. There is never not enough room to sprint.
    they are faster than you
    Non. They have a single striking attack that catches up with you if they can get it off, but their run speed is lower. The main thing to worry about is getting surrounded. This is particularly noticeable in the Last Stand mode.
    Also it is entirely random if you are hit by acid when using the shotgun or sniper rifle. You can even see this in the videos that he's posted.
    It's not at all random. It also doesn't have much to do with what weapon you're using. As far as I can tell, it's based upon proximity and which xeno variant it is (spitters and runners appear to rarely splash).
    In general though, if you need to shoot an alien up close the pulse rifle does it better because the acid cannot kill you.
    You see, in the very section you just told me to look at, Helloween dying twice using the pulse rifle at point blank and getting acid in his face.
    Otherwise you melee and walk backwards, then shoot with the sniper rifle (which is far superior to the shotgun and has billions of ammo in every level after it appears).
    Shotgun removes the need to melee because it knocks them on their arse. At range. Which the sniper rifle doesn't do (though the SR is good at medium-long).

This is aside from the PR's godawful muzzle flare obscuring everything you're firing at. >_<

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All i know is i thought this game was complete and utter garbage but after watching the LP i'm actually compelled to buy it--even though i most likely wont due to the lack of money haha.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Marine:
    Meathead.
    Attention Deficient.
    Retard.
    Incessantly Annoying.
    Not Good at Aiming.
    Edible (Ask Bruce), but gives you Gas.

Alien:
    Acidic.
    Lame.
    Irritatingly Seizure Prone.
    Enjoy being Seen and Shot.
    Not Edible (Ask Cookie the Rookie).

Predator:
    Preston's Crappy Cousin.
    Really Retarded, not just ascetically so.
    Educated in Minimum Wage Commando Exchange program.
    Dick.
    Aims like a Stormtrooper.
    Talks to Human skulls because he has no friends.
    Only competent during scripted events.
    Really needs a real cloak.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Aw, you sounded really sad at the end of that set. Are you really that bummed that you didn't get to shoot Tequila in the head?

It irritates me that they keep calling the predator the 'hunter'. It's pretty much the same word, just say predator damn it.

I don't think they ever say the word "predator" in any of the movies.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween, I feel sorry for you for having to play such a mediocre game.

Please, let me send you a game for your next LP, one that I know is quality.

DarkPrimus on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They've been called "One ugly mutha fucker." in BOTH films.

Mr.Sunshine on
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They've been called "One ugly mutha fucker." in BOTH films.

Actually, I believe they get called that too in both Abortions vs Preemies I mean Aliens vs Predators movies.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bruce vs. Preston.

It has a certain ring to it.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bruce vs. Preston.

I have a mental image of Bruce Willis, playing the role of that super cop from the Die Hard movies, vs Marlowe Preston from Bad Company.

Willis would be the Alien, sneaking through vents, jumping out of shadows and knifing mans.

Marlowe would be the Predator. But not fail as the Faildator as seen in this game. He'd be the sneaky hunter, shooting mans from high places with 40mm grenades and launching Carl Gustavs into crowded rooms.

There would be much raging. Much raging indeed.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bruce vs. Preston.

Cagematch of the year to be sure. :P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Aw, you sounded really sad at the end of that set. Are you really that bummed that you didn't get to shoot Tequila in the head?

It irritates me that they keep calling the predator the 'hunter'. It's pretty much the same word, just say predator damn it.

One of the original Predator trailers implied that Arnold becomes the "predator" (as in the hunter (i.e. the Predator) becomes the hunted).

Then again, in Aliens Gorman says "a xenomorph may be involved." But as far as the movies indicate xenomorph is being used as a vague descriptor for an alien lifeform (and not specific nomenclature for Giger's alien). And somehow xenomorph has become synonymous with the alien from that one line.

Linguistically xenomorph is a bit xenomorphic (hah!); it's out of place. "Xeno-" (foreign/alien) and "-morph" (form/structure) don't really combine for alien lifeform (there's a reason geology uses the term).

But I guess it's like the Dawn of the Dead remake refusing to call the zombies running around zombies. It's supposed to aid plausibility and to reassure the audience the character's dont know they're in a horror movie.

President Rex on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TKane wrote: »
    Bruce vs. Preston.

I have a mental image of Bruce Willis, playing the role of that super cop from the Die Hard movies, vs Marlowe Preston from Bad Company.

Willis would be the Alien, sneaking through vents, jumping out of shadows and knifing mans.

Marlowe would be the Predator. But not fail as the Faildator as seen in this game. He'd be the sneaky hunter, shooting mans from high places with 40mm grenades and launching Carl Gustavs into crowded rooms.

There would be much raging. Much raging indeed.

Holy shit! This would be the best thing ever. I can imagine the Bruce Willis Alien all, 'of all the guys i had to eat, I eat the one feet smaller than my alien sisters'

Or something.

Either way, I'm not hating this game as much as I seem to, but there is a lot to whinge about.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    I think the alien/predator campaigns will be more fun. For one thing it's harder to die and another thing is the QTE kills can be really satisfying.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    I think the alien/predator campaigns will be more fun. For one thing it's harder to die and another thing is the QTE kills can be really satisfying.

I thinking of slapping it up to hard for those as well. Good idea?

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

No. The game is frustrating enough as is.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2010
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

No. The game is frustrating enough as is.

Only because of the "lol acid" factor the marine has. The alien and predator don't suffer from that and the predator is pretty ridiculously OP. I think hard would be more reasonable, especially as you don't have the same issues with alien/pred that the marine has.

Also there are no audio logs in either the alien or pred campaigns.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    I played the alien campaign on hard and tried to play the predator campaign on hard. There is plenty to get frustrated about.

DarkPrimus on
    edited April 2010
    I played the alien campaign on hard and tried to play the predator campaign on hard. There is plenty to get frustrated about.

That bad huh?

Hmm.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    Let me put it this way - if you think the waypoint marker is bad now...

DarkPrimus on
  • Subucula TertiaSubucula Tertia Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Minimum wage marine" :D

Subucula Tertia on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Let me put it this way - if you think the waypoint marker is bad now...

Ugh...ah well. There goes that idea then.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, when did Aliens get a HUD? :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • HybridHybrid South AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wulf wrote: »

"Bruce, go eat those dudes. I'm adding a waypoint marker to your map."

Hybrid on
    edited April 2010
    Hybrid wrote: »

Wouldn't it be all

"RAWR RAWR ROAR RAWR BRUCE RAWR RAWR RAWR"

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey Hello should I buy Penumbra? I'm about halfway through the second set of your LP of it and it looks pretty good, so I'm thinking I should stop watching you play it and play it myself. But if it actually turns out to not be that great I'd rather watch you suffer through it :)

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In what difficulty setting are you playing, Helloween?

The default, normal i believe

A mistake, then.

I finished in hard, and it was fine.

You know, you people can't complain of the game being too easy ("the game isn't frightening because the aliens aren't as lethal as past AvPs", etc etc) while the game have a hard and a impossible difficulty to choose.

Turin Turambar on
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I can't wait for the alien run through. I had so much fun watching your run through of AvP 2 as the alien I expect more lol's this time around.

BrilliantInsanity on
    steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
    edited April 2010
    In what difficulty setting are you playing, Helloween?

The default, normal i believe

A mistake, then.

I finished in hard, and it was fine.

You know, you people can't complain of the game being too easy ("the game isn't frightening because the aliens aren't as lethal as past AvPs", etc etc) while the game have a hard and a impossible difficulty to choose.

The thing is, they were more lethal on the defualt settings last time, without the need to crank up the damage like it would here.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    Hybrid wrote: »

Wouldn't it be all

"RAWR RAWR ROAR RAWR BRUCE RAWR RAWR RAWR"

I'd throw in a SCREE! at the end for dramatic effect.

Also the difficulty settings in this game are all over the place for the campaigns. I say try Alien and Predator on hard just to see how "hard" it is, and then decide if you want to continue doing that past the first set.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    An amusing set. Watching Helloween getting his face melted off by acid in the same place three times in a row had me laughing.
    TrippyJing wrote: »

If my memory isn't playing tricks on me, I think Gary Busey's characters refers to it as a Predator in the second film at one point.

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Having not played the first two games, I'm kind of wondering how their campaign goes. Marines, Predators make sense. But Aliens?

Kill those guys. Capture these guys. Put some of them up on walls. Give some of them to face huggers. Win.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited April 2010
    That lack of death upsets me :(

Set 6 - I have a fever, and the only cure is more dead Aliens!

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Scary noise is part of the ambient music. Therefore pointless.

Also, they put a lot of build up into 6 for the alien campaign. Then disappointment.

npc.EXE on
  • valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh man, i just finished catching up with set 5 when you released set 6. AVP marathon, hooray :D
    anyway, it seems the aliens aren't THAT crap anymore. and milkmen vs. aliens vs. cookie the rookie seemed almost like a good section. as scary as FEAR 2, but still not too bad :P

valgomir on
  • AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay that was a more entertaining section than I'd seen previously. Not exactly horror, but at least the run-and-gun has picked up a bit and the environment isn't quite as drab. The lack of a cover system is really becoming a pain, though I guess it doesn't matter much when you can sprint right up to the enemy and rifle them point-blank. I will take back about one quarter of the bad things I've said about this game.

Alethiometer on
    edited April 2010
    It's getting less shitty at the end now, with the gun play and the aliens, but that isn't saying much. Still, really enjoying it. Keep it up Hello.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man, it seems Helloween caught the Bayonetta bug from Klyka. That's gotta be the second or third set name reference to that game.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited April 2010
    Looks like the game is finally getting somewhat enjoyable, but... too little, too late?

DarkPrimus on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, if personal logs are prohibited, why the fuck are there so many audio logs thrown on the floor?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wait, if personal logs are prohibited, why the fuck are there so many audio logs thrown on the floor?

They're not really personal if they're laying on the ground where anyone could just walk by and listen to it.

Mr.Sunshine on