As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

• npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm looking forward to the Alien campaign myself. If Helloween hates sticky ladder controls wait til he plays with the wall to wall climbing.

npc.EXE on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    I'm looking forward to the Alien campaign myself. If Helloween hates sticky ladder controls wait til he plays with the wall to wall climbing.

That is going to be interesting.

Hello might as well get a laugh track sound effect going for every time something stupid happens with the Alien controls.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Did aliens always explode from being set on fire? 'cause I don't remember them doing that, like, ever. Then again, back in my day facehuggers put a little more effort into it. And we liked it that way!

Seriously, I'm having a hard time grasping just how bland and predictable this all is, and I can put up with an awful lot from a game. The opening marine mission in AvP2 was great,
    given there's no actual combat for a good twenty-thirty minutes or so. I knew shit was going down, but I couldn't quite guess when, and when it did happen, there was no mistaking the fact that shit was going down.
    Whether it's the meandering aliens, the worthless radio support, or the deaths you see coming a mile away, I am just not feeling it here.

Still, your commentary was just gold in this one. You could taste the rage at the end :^:

Edit: and with every single audio log, I'm reminded that the Doom 3 ones were actually pretty good at either building atmosphere or (sometimes) conveying useful information. These do neither. It's just more... blandness.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »

I didn't find that too bad actually, well at least on the 360 but it's not as fluid as the alien in AvP2 by any means. The awkwardness of jumping to a vent, only for the alien to go to an entirely different vent than expected can be very annoying.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Instead of lurking this thread I'll throw another body on the pyre saying they're enjoying the LP.

Speaking of fire: yes, the aliens did eventually blow up when set on fire in some other AvP games...they just didn't spray acid blood everywhere and explode with such visceral detail.

President Rex on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a good LP, Helloween. Keep soldiering on, we believe in you.

DarkPrimus on
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Words cannot express how painful it was to watch you run past the flashing indicator for the lever over and over again.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited April 2010
    Didn't one explode acid on to one of the marines in Aliens? Ya know, when Ripley drove the APC through the wall to rescue them and the last guy takes Alien exploded blood in the face. It was on fire right?

Like to say a overheated liquid boils out and kaboom!

...god I feel stupid.

npc.EXE on
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Words cannot express how painful it was to watch you run past the flashing indicator for the lever over and over again.

This, this is true. Helloween, you're the master of missing the obvious. :D

Rhan9 on
  • orpheusorpheus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome LP. :)

I'm really getting tired of half-assed future technology.

Okay Marine, we've sent you outside our own solar system to a remote world we've colonized. There you will fight an alien threat that lurks in the dark and has acid for blood. You'll be equipped with a pistol someone used in the Vietnam War and the worst flashlight we could dig out of a grade school time capsule.

orpheus on
    But, if you are after mere parlor tricks, you will be sorely disappointed. For if I reach behind your ear, it will not be a nickel I pull out, but your very soul!
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rhan9 wrote: »

I blame the raging and comment-making. Its distracting :P

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Instead of lurking this thread I'll throw another body on the pyre saying they're enjoying the LP.

Speaking of fire: yes, the aliens did eventually blow up when set on fire in some other AvP games...they just didn't spray acid blood everywhere and explode with such visceral detail.

In AVP1, made by the same people, the guns worked about the same way as they do here. The pistol is for emergencies, and being accurate, the pulse rifle is for spraying bullets everywhere, the shotgun is for the real killings, and the flamethrower was mostly useless except for making aliens explode in your face, and killing facehuggers, who can't do anything when on fire.

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At least Weyland-Yutani fits the description of the lowest bidder.

Wait.

Who supplies the gear for the Colonial Marines, anyway?

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »
    Rhan9 wrote: »

I blame the raging and comment-making. Its distracting :P

Your rage is hilarious though.

I will concede though in the battle with the queen there I had the EXACT same reaction and I was getting face hugged every 5 seconds. It was extremely annoying, but somehow I did it without dying (because Facehuggers are hilariously bad in this game).

Edit: I did find it funny that it took something like 5+ facehuggers running around to finally get you. Oddly the flamer is almost useless against them as sometimes it's like it doesn't even register it hit them.

Aegeri on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was originally considering LPing this but after playing it a bit I was totally turned off it. Still, enjoying the jokes/rage a good bit here.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    All the flamethrower does is make them angry and on fire.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited April 2010
    Why wont they leave me aloooooone D:

Set 4 - How did they get my number anyway?
    Bethryn wrote: »
    I was originally considering LPing this but after playing it a bit I was totally turned off it. Still, enjoying the jokes/rage a good bit here.

Still pleanty of time to join in ya know with 2 other stories :P

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • FerrusFerrus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Can I shoot the plant? Can I shoot the light? Yes, actually I can!"

Shooting/Punching is Halloweens medium of expression.

Ferrus on
    I would like to pause for a moment, to talk about my penis.
    My penis is like a toddler. A toddler—who is a perfectly normal size for his age—on a long road trip to what he thinks is Disney World. My penis is excited because he hasn’t been to Disney World in a long, long time, but remembers a time when he used to go every day. So now the penis toddler is constantly fidgeting, whining “Are we there yet? Are we there yet? How about now? Now? How about... now?”
    And Disney World is nowhere in sight.
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, plot twist!

edit: Oh hey, high res milk men! I didn't even know what they looked like.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh, plot twist!

edit: Oh hey, high res milk men! I didn't even know what they looked like.

Milk comes in bags and cartons where I come from, not robo mans who have the military training of plywood. They are a good source of calcium and omega 3 however.

My favourite part of this set:
    *Helloween fires a grenade at the random black marine stereotype's behind*
    *Marine stumbles over, gets up*
    "Keep your guard up!"

:P

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dear god helloween could be watching a space shuttle launch and he would take that exact time to look at a fern. I want to buy this game and play it purely to see the things you keep missing.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
    edited April 2010
    OLEOLEO

npc.EXE on
    edited April 2010
    I dont know why you guys are ragging on the game so hard--there wasent much more then 4 aliens at a time in AVP1/2. AI pathing issues aside i think the aliens are scary as fuck seeing as even in AVP2 i could clearly see where the aliens were coming from and was almost never surprised in a second run through. I've watched hello get ambushed time and time again were i'm lefting wondering where the fuck that alien came from.

Throw in a few pathing fixes and crank the difficulty up you'll have a proper AVP game that pays homage to black demons COMING OUT OF THE GODDAMN WALLS! I think the face hugger not being instant death is stupid though but if you cranked the difficulty up it may be instant death. You cant complain about how easy it is to kill the aliens and survive when your constantly getting whacked from underestimating them haha.

I do agree the NPC predator is retarded as shit but it usually always was, it just needs to move around alot more and stop standing still using its plasma caster.

If anyone is interested the SA thread has the aliens RPG Colonial space marine technical manual thats a fucking fantastic read.

Arghy on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Technical Manual isn't actually for an RPG, it's just an in-universe guide.

DarkPrimus on
  • Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Oh this one looks different. You've got a blue head! I probably should have asked him about that before I shot him."

That combined with the fact that he just shot him off the wall without so much as a jump reaction even though it was right next to the doorway had me rolling. These sets just keep getting better and better.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ahaha, watching Set 2 (I'm a bit behind)

I thought I was getting a skype call there.

Arrath on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The complete lack of Helloween freaking out at any point makes me think this game kind of fails in the horror department. Where's sketchy spider demon man when you need him?

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited April 2010
    smof wrote: »
    The complete lack of Helloween freaking out at any point makes me think this game kind of fails in the horror department. Where's sketchy spider demon man when you need him?

It's so non scary its not even funny. :(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    I dont know why you guys are ragging on the game so hard--there wasent much more then 4 aliens at a time in AVP1/2. AI pathing issues aside i think the aliens are scary as fuck seeing as even in AVP2 i could clearly see where the aliens were coming from and was almost never surprised in a second run through. I've watched hello get ambushed time and time again were i'm lefting wondering where the fuck that alien came from.

Throw in a few pathing fixes and crank the difficulty up you'll have a proper AVP game that pays homage to black demons COMING OUT OF THE GODDAMN WALLS! I think the face hugger not being instant death is stupid though but if you cranked the difficulty up it may be instant death. You cant complain about how easy it is to kill the aliens and survive when your constantly getting whacked from underestimating them haha.

I do agree the NPC predator is retarded as shit but it usually always was, it just needs to move around alot more and stop standing still using its plasma caster.

If anyone is interested the SA thread has the aliens RPG Colonial space marine technical manual thats a fucking fantastic read.

Actually, if you pay attention, 90% of his deaths so far are from the acid spray being an instant kill half of the time. The rest of them are from him getting weakened a lot from said acid spray. The aliens themselves have killed him about once

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited April 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    I dont know why you guys are ragging on the game so hard--there wasent much more then 4 aliens at a time in AVP1/2. AI pathing issues aside i think the aliens are scary as fuck

No they aren't. The only thing that makes them even remotely intimidating is the ridiculous damage the acid does to you. without that they wouldn't even be the slightest threat.
    I've watched hello get ambushed time and time again were i'm lefting wondering where the fuck that alien came from.

He has been ambushed a handful of times, most of the time they do so it's actually their spastic pathing (ironically) aiding them. Otherwise they tend to come from directly in front of you (as the LP clearly demonstrates). The amount of aliens that pop up from under the floor DIRECTLY in front of you is easily noted.
    I think the face hugger not being instant death is stupid though but if you cranked the difficulty up it may be instant death.

I can't recall if it is but mostly Nightmare isn't any more scary - it's more just completely obnoxious dying to a random acid death than anything else.

Honestly, this game is not scary or a good AvP game in any manner.

Aegeri on
  • Turin TurambarTurin Turambar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In what difficulty setting are you playing, Helloween?

Turin Turambar on
    edited April 2010

The default, normal i believe

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

'Weyland Takes a Bath' difficulty.

Alternatively,
    'I Exfoliate with Alien Blood' :lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
    edited April 2010
    Notice how bad the Predator actually was as well. The game sets it up as this thing you should be afraid of and just run away, but it's trivially defeated with the sniper rifle you have (because that rifle is awesome).

Edit: DON'T LET YOUR GUARD DOWN!!!

Aegeri on
  • DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, I think I figured it out. Somewhere along the line, they must have accidentally switched the AIs around, so that each group of NPC in the game (humans, aliens, predators) got the AI package from another group. Notice how the aliens run around in circles like they're panicking and scared of everything, the humans just stand there like they think they're invisible or something, and the one predator we've seen so far just stands in the open and shoots, like it thinks it has squad cover and an assault rifle.

Dartboy on
  • valgomirvalgomir Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    close, but i guess they accidentally wrote over the predator's AI files and gave him a tree's...

valgomir on
  • KitsunaKitsuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Combat synthetics with sniper rifles. I had a pleasant flashback to Helloweens run of the Predator campaign in AvP2.

Such fond memories...

Kitsuna on
    MGRSig2.jpg
    edited April 2010
    2 Quick things for Helloween:
    1. Your now 12,000+ on subscriber numbers, awesome.
    2. You forgot to list Cryostasis in your list of completed LPs.

Looking forward to the next set.

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
  • GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Notice how bad the Predator actually was as well. The game sets it up as this thing you should be afraid of and just run away, but it's trivially defeated with the sniper rifle you have (because that rifle is awesome).

I am always pissed off how in 90% of FPS games, the sniper rifle is hands-down the best weapon, because it's more of a fucking railgun than an actual sniper rifle.

I remember multiplayer AvP2 and just getting endlessly wrecked as an alien by bunnyhopping marines one-shotting me with that piece of shit.

Garthor on
    edited April 2010
    I honestly dont know where they got the idea for all of the AVP's sniper rifles because the CSM tech manual lists the sniper rifle as using the same rounds as the smart gun. Its not ment to be this fucking cannon its supposed to be an accurate long range firearm for soft targets. I blame the barret for influencing a generation that sniper rifles are supposed to be massive flak guns.

Overpowered acid blood sprays? while complaining you regenerate a face at the same time? I dont know what you expect of acid blood but i have a feeling its pretty high. Of course he died from acid blood because he was standing still shooting aliens at his feet which is the entire purpose and specialty of the aliens. He wasent trying to avoid them and get into the spirit the game designers were trying to throw in he was trying to waltz through like serious sam. AVP2 was so damn fun because no other FPS had me holding down my tigger staggering backwards as black demons ran at me from the walls and ceilings promising death if they got to close.

No offense helloween i enjoy these LP's its just my years of gaming compelling me to get behind the gun--anyone can play however they like but i feel the game designers were aiming towards a cooperating mindset to set the stage for the scares. I would have shat my pants when that alien hissed at me from the walls because i really get into the role games thrust upon me.

Arghy on