As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Let's Play Aliens versus Predator 3 - Set 17 - Kill mans...no wait don't

• AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Except the game builds no atmosphere, the aliens are a threat because they will explode on you and not because they are relentless/clever/dangerous. The only times I ever died were to aliens exploding on me as I was doing what Helloween is doing right now - just trying to get through to whatever thing someone on the radio is yelling at me about next. The game doesn't build tension and atmosphere like AvP2 did and the aliens being incompetent boobs doesn't help.

Like yeah, I guess you could view them as suicide bombers or something but that's hardly what I think of aliens as being.

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aegeri wrote: »
    Except the game builds no atmosphere, the aliens are a threat because they will explode on you and not because they are relentless/clever/dangerous. The only times I ever died were to aliens exploding on me as I was doing what Helloween is doing right now - just trying to get through to whatever thing someone on the radio is yelling at me about next. The game doesn't build tension and atmosphere like AvP2 did and the aliens being incompetent boobs doesn't help.

Like yeah, I guess you could view them as suicide bombers or something but that's hardly what I think of aliens as being.

Well, even with the exploding on him, some aliens he shotguns only take off a sliver of health, while another will kill him from 100%

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited April 2010
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Well, even with the exploding on him, some aliens he shotguns only take off a sliver of health, while another will kill him from 100%

The ones that are taking him from 100% health are using hitting him and then he shoots them, spraying himself with acid. That acid can do ridiculous amounts of damage (regardless of what difficulty you're playing it on). 99% of the time when you die, it's acid to the face.

Aegeri on
  • Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helloween needs to smack more Aliens to the ground. That way it will help visualize that Rookie is looking at these Aliens as they spasm around everywhere, Rookie then smacks them down in a "Cut that out, you're supposed to be scary!" kind of way and while they're on the ground he shoots them out of pity.

It'll also reduce the facefull of acid death, I guess.

Mr.Sunshine on
    edited April 2010
    Oh yeah the fact you can punch aliens in the face is highly underrated in this game. It's hilarious in MP to beat an alien player down (as well as utterly humiliating for them).

Aegeri on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What the hell is up with that "Hold Mouse 4" message that comes up all the fucking time as well? I mean seriously, that's a tutorial message not something you need to see the whole way through the game. That must be SO annoying. Perhaps on a par with hearing someone tell you your objective every 5 seconds if you don't do as your told straight away.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited April 2010
    That's the melee counter, whenever an alien is doing a light melee attack if you hold mouse 4 it puts the marine into a blocking stance and deflects the attack momentarily stunning the alien. In the other situation, when they rear up (Alien Heavy Attack) if you do a rapid melee attack (light attack) it knocks them on their ass and you can then have your filthy way with them. I do believe he CAN turn this off if he feels like it.

Aegeri on
  • HelloweenHelloween Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's the melee counter, whenever an alien is doing a light melee attack if you hold mouse 4 it puts the marine into a blocking stance and deflects the attack momentarily stunning the alien. In the other situation, when they rear up (Alien Heavy Attack) if you do a rapid melee attack (light attack) it knocks them on their ass and you can then have your filthy way with them. I do believe he CAN turn this off if he feels like it.

Might have to check that, it is very irritating.

Helloween on
    See all of my Let's Plays Here:
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    smof wrote: »
    What the hell is up with that "Hold Mouse 4" message that comes up all the fucking time as well? I mean seriously, that's a tutorial message not something you need to see the whole way through the game. That must be SO annoying. Perhaps on a par with hearing someone tell you your objective every 5 seconds if you don't do as your told straight away.

Well, other games do something similar through the whole game. Call of Duty tells you how to reload for the entire game, even multiplayer. Games also tell you that space bar will make you climb that wall and you can hold E to open this door you have to go through.

elliotw2 on
    edited April 2010
    I see you're trying to reload, may I offer some suggestions?

Aegeri on
  • ArghyArghy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I kinda like how you can melee because it makes sense you'll bash the alien with your gun instead of shooting it when its right at your feet. I think theres great tension and atmosphere--if you've read some of the comics the late ones are all like this. The bugs are old news and you go from wondering what the hell they are to just acknowledging them as a threat. Your assaulting a known enemy instead of being surprised by an unknown enemy so instead of the normal awesome aliens 2 feel your dealing with a normal search and destroy game type.

The scariest part of AVP2 was the first time you meet an alien which had you struggling to run back to the APC while aliens boiled out of holes all around you. I honestly dont see the difference between that the alien encounters in AVP3--sure theres times when the AI pathing is crap and they run around in circles but when the pathing works its fairly scary. I think they just need to give the aliens a leap attack or make them faster cause that was a major factor in AVP2 when they would leap at you from across the hall.

A few of the scripted events like the hacking/club fight are really stupid though because theres only one way for the aliens to come. The flashlight doesnt help to because regardless of how small it is you dont need to deal with it running out of juice mid fight which was the best thing about AVP2. I remember running out of juice running down a dark corridor and using the muzzle flash of my trusty pulse rifle to guide my aim.

Arghy on
    Ask me about the holocaust.
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Flashlights running out of juice in any game is stupid.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited April 2010
    TrippyJing wrote: »
    Flashlights running out of juice in any game is stupid.

It is, but at least AVP2 attempted to explain it with your equipment being heavily damaged in the intro. In multiplayer, you'll notice that you have batteries with longer lives that you usually have

elliotw2 on
  • TKaneTKane Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great sets. Can't wait for the next ones.

Also, is anyone else getting...

Umh.... That Corporate Chick from F.E.A.R 2.... I forget her name. But yeah, is anyone else getting That chick Vibes from the Admin Chick in the last set?

I'm calling it now. She's going to lead Ramirez to his doom....
    But hopefully not "Ramirez tied up and ridden by an Alien/Predator/Judge Judy crossbreed thing" doom.

Also, screw you, I refuse to call him "Rookie." Sounds too much like Cookie, which was the name of the stripper I got my first lapdance from.

I'm calling him Ramirez.

TKane on
    Clicky -> What I'm listening to <- Clicky
    steam_sig.png
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    However, Ramirez is the real name of the stripper you got your first lapdance from.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
    edited April 2010
    However, Ramirez is the real name of the stripper you got your first lapdance from.

boosh

Arghy on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TKane wrote: »
    Great sets. Can't wait for the next ones.

Also, is anyone else getting...

Umh.... That Corporate Chick from F.E.A.R 2.... I forget her name. But yeah, is anyone else getting That chick Vibes from the Admin Chick in the last set?

I'm calling it now. She's going to lead Ramirez to his doom....
    But hopefully not "Ramirez tied up and ridden by an Alien/Predator/Judge Judy crossbreed thing" doom.

Also, screw you, I refuse to call him "Rookie." Sounds too much like Cookie, which was the name of the stripper I got my first lapdance from.

I'm calling him Ramirez.

The corporate chick from F.E.A.R 2's name was Genevieve Aristide. She ran the board of directors for Armacham and was partly responsible for Alma's incarceration and creation and fully responsible for Bucket being raped.
    She probably voices the corporate secretary lady we keep hearing on the radio now, with a vague latino accent thrown in.

I'm not going to call him Ramirez, as well. I actually think calling him Cookie is awesome, not because it was some stripper's stage name but because it's a good play on words. When the chips are down and your squad is crumbling faster then a soft baked peanut butter confection, call in Cookie! He'll show those nasty aliens the power of chocolate caliber bullets.

Cookie, don't let your guard down!

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited April 2010

Good play.

Good play.
    Corehealer wrote: »
    The corporate chick from F.E.A.R 2's name was Genevieve Aristide. She ran the board of directors for Armacham and was partly responsible for Alma's incarceration and creation and fully responsible for Bucket being raped.
    She probably voices the corporate secretary lady we keep hearing on the radio now, with a vague latino accent thrown in.

I'm not going to call him Ramirez, as well. I actually think calling him Cookie is awesome, not because it was some stripper's stage name but because it's a good play on words. When the chips are down and your squad is crumbling faster then a soft baked peanut butter confection, call in Cookie! He'll show those nasty aliens the power of chocolate caliber bullets.

Cookie, don't let your guard down!

Ah, thank you. I've never been good at remembering people's names.

[EDIT] Also, that pun is both horrible and epic at the same time. It's.... Eprible..?

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • NoneoftheaboveNoneoftheabove Just a conforming non-conformist. Twilight ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Halloween's last LP segment had me laughing during his torment of the crippled and dying Alien!

I can see moments where the game has shock scares, but has no original ideas to bring to any of these popular sci-fi characters. Same ol' same old, I guess.
    As a fan of the first pc AvP, I know I want to play this..badly, if only to blast xeno's as a Marine, or claw poor scientists. The game has the fan in me sold; but as a truly meaningful game, it's a renter.

On a larger note I admire and praise Cameron for his Aliens film, however it takes away a great deal from the first Alien film because of its portrayle of the Alien as a particularly bad "pest infestation" rather than a mysterious terror from the depths of space. Consequently all the games involving Aliens feature the monster as just a big bug.
    Here's to a great series with the Alien games tapping into the original source material for inspiration.

Looking forward to Obsidian and Gearbox's Alien games, though.

Noneoftheabove on
    edited April 2010
    Someone get that predator some glasses

Set 5 - Now with crappier versus

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aw, you sounded really sad at the end of that set. Are you really that bummed that you didn't get to shoot Tequila in the head?

It irritates me that they keep calling the predator the 'hunter'. It's pretty much the same word, just say predator damn it.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
    edited April 2010
    smof wrote: »
    Aw, you sounded really sad at the end of that set. Are you really that bummed that you didn't get to shoot Tequila in the head?

It irritates me that they keep calling the predator the 'hunter'. It's pretty much the same word, just say predator damn it.

She just wouldnt die :'(

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    Helloween!
    Don't let your guard down!

Edit: Also, Hard mostly makes alien big acid bombs and not more intimidating or intelligent. 90% of my deaths were as marine (I died very rarely as alien/predator) and the difficulty only meant that you died to acid FAR more than you did on normal. Basically more frustrating and annoying.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    Haha, "Is that yours? I think not, so you better put it back"

elliotw2 on
    edited April 2010
    Gah. I FLINCH everytime you so nonchalantly just spray and pray with that rifle. *BLAM.* "Missed." *BLAM.* "Missed." *BLAM.* "Hit." It's like you're playing Battleship or some shit.

Then again, it's not like they're NOT overloading you with boolets. You've gathered more bullets for that thing then you've actually fired.

Also, concerning the shotty vs Pulse Rifle...

I say keep the Pulse Rifle. It's ICONIC, mang. You can't have Colomial Narines without the Pulse Rifle. They did in the third movie, and look how much it sucked!

Also, concerning the Fail'dator not shooting at you. I THINK he was trying to hit one of those red explosive barrels. The whole "Take Cover behind Exploding Barrels That Explode when Shot = BESTEST IDURR EVAR" thing, ya know?

Also, Tequila is supposed to be Alyx Vance's great-great-great-great granddaughter. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.

[EDIT]Also, Corporate Admin Chick not identifying herself to Tequila the way she identified herself to you... That just sets off all sorts of bells in my mind. If I were playing this, I'd suspect that once I deliver Tequila to her, I'd not see the two of them again for a long time, and then when I do, Tequila would be some half-Alien Queen half-Human hybrid... That rapes you. Literally. Not 'lol pwn u" rape, I mean "THAT hole's an exit only! EXIT ONLY!" rape.

Which would be wicked fun. But since I've not seen hide nor hair of any sort of hint of such a thing in this thread, I can assume that doesn't happen, and Tequila makes an exception and allows you to impregnate her.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    You want to keep the pulse rifle for grenades. The shotgun is not as good as the sniper rifle at close range, which does the same job at all ranges and is just far superior. While the pulse rifle because of its ridiculous ROF and grenades has its own niche.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    Hahahaha i'm amazed you missed the predator jumping over your head like 6 times while you walked through the maze. The predator was aiming for the explosive barrel right behind you which was apparently to far away to affect you--i really think his script is broken because he just fucking stands there uncloaked with this giant laser aimer giving away his position.

The alien spray is triggered if you shoot their head while the mouth is vertical if its horizontal it shoots straight up hence the difference between you getting a little splash and a faceful.

Can you shoot the aliens when they are curled up on the wall? i was wondering why the hell you kept running by the same damn alien and getting killed when it uncurled but if you cant shoot them when their curled then that would explain it.

Arghy on
  • BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also, Tequila is supposed to be Alyx Vance's great-great-great-great granddaughter. Search your feelings, you know it to be true.
    What? Alyx Vance died at the beginning of Ep 2, and the Vorts replaced her with a gynoid with a button that, when pressed, says encouraging things about its companion. You know it to be true.

Also, there are a lot of good reasons to go shotgun/sniper and ignore the Pulse Rifle/Autogun. Namely that they both oneshot aliens, the sniper is perfectly accurate unscoped, and you don't have to stand your ground for long to get those shots off. Oh, and snipers being the only good way of dealing with the omniscient androids.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
    edited April 2010
    The alien spray is triggered if you shoot their head while the mouth is vertical if its horizontal it shoots straight up hence the difference between you getting a little splash and a faceful.

Actually no, it has to do with the weapon. The rifle has incredible power and so it gibs the alien hard (the shotgun is the same), while the pulse rifle doesn't do anywhere near as much damage. The shotgun/sniper rifle make a huge acid spray and so if you use them in close quarters you'll die more often to acid spray. While the pulse rifle and pistol are safer (but they take much longer to kill an alien) as they make much less acid mess on killing them.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    Gah. I FLINCH everytime you so nonchalantly just spray and pray with that rifle. *BLAM.* "Missed." *BLAM.* "Missed." *BLAM.* "Hit." It's like you're playing Battleship or some shit.

Then again, it's not like they're NOT overloading you with boolets. You've gathered more bullets for that thing then you've actually fired.

Also, concerning the shotty vs Pulse Rifle...

I say keep the Pulse Rifle. It's ICONIC, mang. You can't have Colomial Narines without the Pulse Rifle. They did in the third movie, and look how much it sucked!

Also, concerning the Fail'dator not shooting at you. I THINK he was trying to hit one of those red explosive barrels. The whole "Take Cover behind Exploding Barrels That Explode when Shot = BESTEST IDURR EVAR" thing, ya know?

[EDIT]Also, Corporate Admin Chick not identifying herself to Tequila the way she identified herself to you... That just sets off all sorts of bells in my mind. If I were playing this, I'd suspect that once I deliver Tequila to her, I'd not see the two of them again for a long time, and then when I do, Tequila would be some half-Alien Queen half-Human hybrid... That rapes you. Literally. Not 'lol pwn u" rape, I mean "THAT hole's an exit only! EXIT ONLY!" rape.

Which would be wicked fun. But since I've not seen hide nor hair of any sort of hint of such a thing in this thread, I can assume that doesn't happen, and Tequila makes an exception and allows you to impregnate her.

Once you've seen the horrors from japan your idea of 'worst' case scenarios get alot better hahaha.

I can see the ending, you'll get the alien out of tequila and through your combined trauma you'll hook up but she'll constantly cry about the 'baby' you forced her to kill. Also 'lets go get tequila' YEAH! oh wait you mean her?

Arghy on
    edited April 2010
    Also, there are a lot of good reasons to go shotgun/sniper and ignore the Pulse Rifle/Autogun.

The pulse rifle is better than the shotgun because the sniper does everything it does and better. The pulse rifle though, really not on normal but on hard has a niche because it doesn't gib aliens. Helloween wondered how you avoided dying to random acid spray, that's why you need the pulse rifle because it doesn't gib aliens into bits so you get a face full of acid. You also need to melee aliens a LOT on hard difficulties.

But in reality on hard you're still going to die EXACTLY the same way. By acid.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    Arghy wrote: »
    Once you've seen the horrors from japan your idea of 'worst' case scenarios get alot better hahaha.

I can see the ending, you'll get the alien out of tequila and through your combined trauma you'll hook up but she'll constantly cry about the 'baby' you forced her to kill. Also 'lets go get tequila' YEAH! oh wait you mean her?

Oh, I have. AHEM! "The Maiden Rape Assault - Violent Semen Inferno."

"Demonophobia."

Go ahead and goggle those. And yes, both are VERY NOT SAFE FOR WORK. Both are REAL 'video games' from Japan. Well MRA:VSI is a 'Visual' Novel.

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Can you shoot the aliens when they are curled up on the wall? i was wondering why the hell you kept running by the same damn alien and getting killed when it uncurled but if you cant shoot them when their curled then that would explain it.

No. They were invincible till the 'out of the wall' animation was over.

Helloween on
    Youtube Channel!
    edited April 2010
    Helloween wrote: »

No. They were invincible till the 'out of the wall' animation was over.

That's the Xenomorph version of 'Out of the Closet."

TKane on
    steam_sig.png
  • AlethiometerAlethiometer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I've watched every Helloween LP that's been posted over the last couple of years, and never have I been this genuinely bored by one. This isn't Helloween's fault at all- this game is just phenomenally shallow. Endless corridors with a single enemy type running at you in predictable patterns, tied up in a plot so rehashed and dull that we know all the lines before they're spoken.

I'm sitting here comparing it to a game like Penumbra, where you didn't necessarily even see an enemy for hours, but the sense of tension was so heightened that everything made you jump. Or even F.E.A.R. which I found somewhat tedious, but which made up for it with clever enemies and good jump-scares. Somebody really should have taken a step back and asked "Do we really need to tack a single-player campaign onto this obviously MP game?"

This is just bad, bad, bad. Helloween, I applaud your fortitude.

Alethiometer on
    edited April 2010
    The game is boring because it's basically AvP2 but worse. That is the CORE problem with AvP3.

But it gets worse!
    Wait until you have to see a good chunk of those levels again, up to twice more in some cases, as the other two races wheeee!

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    The pulse rifle is better than the shotgun because the sniper does everything it does and better. The pulse rifle though, really not on normal but on hard has a niche because it doesn't gib aliens. Helloween wondered how you avoided dying to random acid spray, that's why you need the pulse rifle because it doesn't gib aliens into bits so you get a face full of acid. You also need to melee aliens a LOT on hard difficulties.

But in reality on hard you're still going to die EXACTLY the same way. By acid.
    I don't know what it is you're doing wrong, but this is exactly the opposite of my experience. I just now loaded up the penultimate level on Nightmare and played shotgun and got hit with acid once, which did 2/3 bars. And that was because I shot an alien that was point blank on reflex when I turned a corner. Every other time I fought them, I took no acid damage.

Also? I never used melee. I wasn't even aware Marines could melee. This is as someone who has completed the game on Nightmare, usually only dying to those QTEs that that game refuses to tell me the button to 'block' against.

Bethryn on
    edited April 2010
    From someone who isn't even aware marines could melee I'm doing it wrong? :P

You shouldn't be hit at all if you're playing marine because you can melee knockdown all the aliens before they can melee attack you with anything that can kill you. If you turn a corner and see an alien, the first thing you do is melee them and walk backwards then dispatch them with your sniper rifle.

On the part in the set where Helloween repeatedly died
    All I did was block and wait for the alien to stand in "heavy attack", melee him and walk back then casually shoot him. The alien AI is extremely vulnerable to melee so you should never need anything but the sniper rifle for dealing with them. The grenades on the pulse rifle automatically make it a better choice than the shotgun and the pulse rifle is a far better panic weapon than the shotgun as well.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2010
    From someone who isn't even aware marines could melee I'm doing it wrong? :P
    A melee button is only used if you're putting yourself in a position where the aliens are right beside you. I found the sprint button easily dealt with this problem, so I never needed to discover that there existed a melee button or indeed the block button.

The doing it wrong is in reference to getting hit with acid using the shotgun, or indeed dying to acid at all. Stay out of melee range and aliens cannot do anything to you. :D

Bethryn on
    edited April 2010
    Dying to acid is just the normal "death" in the game (for the marine that is). I never actually died to being attacked by aliens at any point once I learned how melee works.

Also it's impossible to use sprint to get away because not all areas have a long distance from aliens (See the corridor of doom for Helloween in this set), they are faster than you and ironically their completely spastic AI makes it hard to tell if they will even follow you (or get stuck somewhere you can't see). Whereas with melee you knock them on their ass, they will never move anywhere completely removing their retarded AI as a factor and then you can trivally shoot them where they cannot attack you at all.

Also it is entirely random if you are hit by acid when using the shotgun or sniper rifle. You can even see this in the videos that he's posted. In general though, if you need to shoot an alien up close the pulse rifle does it better because the acid cannot kill you. Otherwise you melee and walk backwards, then shoot with the sniper rifle (which is far superior to the shotgun and has billions of ammo in every level after it appears).

Aegeri on