As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Digital age/documenting our lives

Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
edited January 2007 in Social Entropy++
Has anyone ever considered the impact the digital age (more specifically, digital photos/massive amounts of images/very high resolution) will have on how are children will view us? I don't mean this in a negative sense at all. I just look at my digital picture folder, and wonder what it would be like if my dad's younger days had been so well and vividly documented in this way.

On another tangent, assuming this media does last, what will I think looking back at these images, of a young me on a couch with 3 other friends smoking a bowl at 3am, when I am 40? 50? 80 years old?

I dunno, just looking at the albums I have from my days as a 20'something compared to similar albums from previous generations...there's something much more vivid here, and much more unique.

Dangerou-Dave on

• Options
    MAINER 3.0MAINER 3.0 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    We are certainly the digital generation. I don't know if that's a bad thing, or a good thing yet. It's an interesting contrast - people sitting for hours at their computer, mixed with an internet culture which demands they be photogenic.

How will we balance this as human beings?

MAINER 3.0 on
    e1130cc97b22e51a13c9fb00ab1c3451.png
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i take pictures of myself and things like that fairly often just for keeping records

when im old it'll be appreciated (by me)

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I dont like photography, or hiliday snaps, or a photo album.

I feel it lessens the importance of my memories, so that I can forget stuff because 'Ive got a hard copy on my camera'.

I'd rather people didnt see where we went on holiday, and didnt get to have a look at that freaky bird I saw on the clifftop, or didnt see my friends I met over there or any of that third hand evidence for experiences.

In the same way people showing me their holiday photos bores me so much, or their childhood photos. I keep thinking 'yeah, but I wasnt there, so why do I care, Id rather experience it myself without knowledge'

It's sad that I consider photography as a toold for documentation, eg 'This is exactly what this spider looks like' rather than experiences, such as something you did.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    OdenOden Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hate when people pose for photos

If Im taking a photo of you and I didnt ask for you to pose dont fucking pose it doesn't look natural especially if we are at a party or something

Oden on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oden wrote:

If Im taking a photo of you and I didnt ask for you to pose dont fucking pose it doesn't look natural especially if we are at a party or something

I find that most people prefer the angle, "above and from the left while I make my special face."

MAINER 3.0 on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    the opposite of not posing is what my dad does where he thinks he is all clever taking photos over his shoulder but they are all shitty and he covets them like a retard

bongi on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I am going to be the most awesome Digital Patriarch EVER

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    SporkAndrewSporkAndrew Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    It's sad that I consider photography as a toold for documentation, eg 'This is exactly what this spider looks like' rather than experiences, such as something you did.

To me it's basically the opposite. I use photography as an aid to the memory.. I've got pictures of bands during gigs and I'll look back and be able to remember what song was playing, how crushed I was, how hot it was, everything.

Looking back through my holiday photos I take pictures of the most random stuff, but every single photo sparks off a chain reaction of memories that I just wouldn't be able to remember on my own. The best example is that I have pictures from Canada of a block of frozen chilli, which on it's own doesn't make much sense. But seeing the picture reminds me of us forgetting to take the chilli out of the cooler-box until far too late so we had to tide ourselves over with marbled cheese and crackers. When the chilli finally defrosted enough to start to cook it was about 11 at night and no-one was hungry. I wouldn't be able to remember the conversations about wasted chilli, chillisicles, picking it up and throwing it at the neighbour's tent because they had really loud, bad music on, throwing it into the road and blocking the path of the lowrider that was doing the rounds.. But because I've got the picture I can make the memory connections.

I'm lucky enough to have a photographic memory but it only comes into play when it's jogged into life through a trigger.

I guess I'm just wired that way.

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    ToadTheMushroomToadTheMushroom Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh I fully accept that way or working. In some ways thats all pictures do, jog your memory.

What I dont like is someone showing me them sitting on a beach or something and going 'this is us on holiday'.

Well so what. I know what you look like and I know what a beach looks like already. I hate that kind of photography.

ToadTheMushroom on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oden wrote:

a-fucking-men

big pet peeve of mine

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I only take pictures of me and my girlfriend having sex

what.

MAINER 3.0 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Oden wrote:

a-fucking-men

big pet peeve of mine

I have thousands of photos where people are pouting or tilting there head or doing some other stupid shit

then you get to ones that were taken on the sly and its like reliving that night in a single photo

Oden on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    What I dont like is someone showing me them sitting on a beach or something and going 'this is us on holiday'.

Oh I hate that too. Posed pictures have always annoyed me. I'd much rather see the sunset in the background..

SporkAndrew on
    The one about the fucking space hairdresser and the cowboy. He's got a tinfoil pal and a pedal bin
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    i don't tend to take photos at parties

bongi on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I only party (read: drink) by myself.

Someone told me that's a red-flag for being an alcoholic so I threw up in his lap.

MAINER 3.0 on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    MAINER 3.0 wrote:

Someone told me that's a red-flag for being an alcoholic so I threw up in his lap.
    I quit drinking after I realized what I was doing.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Dynagrip wrote:
    MAINER 3.0 wrote:

I quit drinking after I realized what I was doing.

I quit smoking pot a while ago and just switched vices, sadly enough.

MAINER 3.0 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Oden wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Oden wrote:

a-fucking-men

big pet peeve of mine

I have thousands of photos where people are pouting or tilting there head or doing some other stupid shit

then you get to ones that were taken on the sly and its like reliving that night in a single photo

the worst pictures are those you see of teenage girls/young women especially in their bedrooms they might have a board just plastered with 100's of pictures of herself and her friends in dozens of bars and at parties. every single picture is dead on with the brightest flash possible, and just arms around each other posing and smiling

yeah thats not real life, so stop trying to remember it that way

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I didn't know you could change the brightness of the flash

Oden on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    lots of cameras have different types of flash, like area fill vs highlight and such

you know what i meant though, the flash that is on the subjects couldnt be any brighter

not saying there is a control on these girl's silly little compacts to adjust flash brightness

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    the worst pictures are those you see of teenage girls/young women especially in their bedrooms they might have a board just plastered with 100's of pictures of herself and her friends in dozens of bars and at parties. every single picture is dead on with the brightest flash possible, and just arms around each other posing and smiling

My girlfriend's sister has something exactly like that. All the way up the stairs into her room are thousands of photos of the same few people clumped together, staring at you with blank, red eyes in the same formation.

Oden: Whilst on most cameras you can't adjust the brightness of the flash you could at least use some card or something to bounce the light off something else before hitting your face. Or just turn the flash off.

SporkAndrew on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    not saying there is a control on these girl's silly little compacts to adjust flash brightness

no that is exactly what I thought

I have a silly little compact because Im not a photographer

infact I mostly just use the camera on my phone which is 2mp

Oden on
  • Options
    Dangerou-DaveDangerou-Dave __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Oden wrote:
    Deusfaux wrote:
    Oden wrote:

a-fucking-men

big pet peeve of mine

yeah thats not real life, so stop trying to remember it that way

Haha yes exactly. I'll show you my favorite photo from an amazingly fun night. It's not in focus, nor is it pleasing to the eye, but it captures my half-drunken/high stupid ass self with my best friends being young and dumb. (I believe we found a box of glow sticks at a dollar store or something like that...)

photograph437ws1.jpg

Dangerou-Dave on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    i dont really take pictures

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I'm planing on taking a walk in the summer to show you all the odd things I've been snickering at in my town.

There's this one place that has a sign saying "TAEKWONDO WTF" with some Asian characters and a little dude doing a jump kick.

Meiz on
  • Options
    TalonTalon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    pictures become invaluable after a person you know has died

it's a very terrible lesson to learn at this age

Talon on
    cheesewhizsig.gif
  • Options
    darkdemondarkdemon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    You stand there with a camera, say "CLICK!" and turn a light off/on really quick?

darkdemon on
    heyquitit.PNG
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Talon wrote:

Just take pictures of her corpse and jerk off to them. It's almost the same.

Hunter on
  • Options
    TalonTalon Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Hunter wrote:
    Talon wrote:

also yeah, if they ever ask you if you want to see the crime scene photos, just say no

sweet almighty christ just say no

Talon on
    cheesewhizsig.gif
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Talon wrote:
    Hunter wrote:
    Talon wrote:

also yeah, if they ever ask you if you want to see the crime scene photos, just say no

sweet almighty christ just say no

what did the guys put her clothes back on after or somethin

im suprised they would go to the effort

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I take photos as a reminder because I have an atrocious memory, and it helps to jog them, like SporkAndrew says. I'm not so fond of taking photos of people, though.

I do update my journal quite often, but that's mainly for myself. I like to go back and read it occasionally.

Janson on
  • Options
    lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I used to love taking pictures of friends and moments. Then I graduated college and became a boring working stiff, and the rate of my picture-taking dropped greatly. Either my life has become much more boring or I've moved past the point in my life where I want to remember every single little thing when I get older or something.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    I find it interesting that we act like these digital documents will still be "readable" thirty or forty years from now. With a hard print of a photograph, you've got a more or less permanent record as long as you protect it from damage and decay. With a digital record there are so many things that can go wrong from the file becoming corrupted to damage to the drive. The biggest issue as I see it though is that there's a real risk of this media becoming unreadable after a few decades simply because the software that created/reads the media probably won't exist any more at some point in the future or if it does exist, probably won't run on whatever operating systems are in use at the time. I believe that 40 or 50 years from now, possibly much sooner, there will be a widespread loss of documents due to this effect.

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    WevsWevs __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2007
    I like photos of other people taking photos.

Wevs on
  • Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Druhim wrote:
    I find it interesting that we act like these digital documents will still be "readable" thirty or forty years from now. With a hard print of a photograph, you've got a more or less permanent record as long as you protect it from damage and decay. With a digital record there are so many things that can go wrong from the file becoming corrupted to damage to the drive. The biggest issue as I see it though is that there's a real risk of this media becoming unreadable after a few decades simply because the software that created/reads the media probably won't exist any more at some point in the future or if it does exist, probably won't run on whatever operating systems are in use at the time. I believe that 40 or 50 years from now, possibly much sooner, there will be a widespread loss of documents due to this effect.

I guess it depends how dedicated you are. I'm quite happy to discard my memories after a few years - regularly throwing away drawings, school work, photos of old friends, photos of me as a young'un etc., but so long as you keep on top of your data, it can quite easily be transferred as technology changes.

Janson on
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    pictures can be a blessing and a curse

where it is great to have pictures of happy memories to make you smile, those same pictures can destroy you if you stumble upon them when you aren't prepared...such as accidently coming across pictures of an ex that you can't get over

potatoe on
  • Options
    babyeatingjesusbabyeatingjesus Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I hope the entire internet reads their own blogs and myspaces in 10-15 years and commits mass suicide.

babyeatingjesus on
    hitthatcheeseburgerfatty.gif
  • Options
    RagixRagix Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    potatoe wrote:
    pictures can be a blessing and a curse

where it is great to have pictures of happy memories to make you smile, those same pictures can destroy you if you stumble upon them when you aren't prepared...such as accidently coming across pictures of an ex that you can't get over

So what did you do when she saw the picture?

Ragix on
  • Options
    SlungsolowSlungsolow Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2007
    Druhim wrote:

nah, legacy data is always kept in mind when innovating new software. there is no way software would be at fault for the loss of digital data on a massive scale. hardware corruption is a possibility since that is a single point of failure... but software can always be recreated, emulated or equally stored with the medium it uses.

Slungsolow on
    fuck your forums, fuck your administrator and fuck dynagrip for getting away with the long troll.
  • Options
    potatoepotatoe Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Slungsolow wrote:
    Druhim wrote:

nah, legacy data is always kept in mind when innovating new software. there is no way software would be at fault for the loss of digital data on a massive scale. hardware corruption is a possibility since that is a single point of failure... but software can always be recreated, emulated or equally stored with the medium it uses.
    i keep all my digital pictures stored on a series of punch cards

potatoe on