As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

weird lord of the rings blu ray problem

Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I haven't had an issue like this in all the time that I've owned DVDs or Blu Rays, but I guess there's a first time for everything. The Blu Ray I'm referring to is the Lord of the Rings Trilogy bundle that released day before yesterday.

The Two Towers and Return of the King play fine. I pop the discs in my Playstation 3, they go to their respective main menus, hit play, all is well.

The Fellowship of the ring however does NOT play well.

When I hit play, a trailer for the 'trilogy' begins, sans sound. When that is over nothing happens. I navigate back to the menu. I hit scene select. I select chapter 4. Nothing. 5. Still nothing.

I take the box set back to where I bought it and grab another.

SAME ISSUE.

Surely someone else on the forum picked this up (even if they are just the theatrical versions) so I'm wondering if anyone else here is having or has had this problem in the past. I can't get my money back so assuming I'm grabbing copies printed out of a 'bad batch' I'm going to have to exchange it eventually. My google-fu is generally weak but I was actually surprised to find no trace of the issue anywhere online. Plz halp.

sci+fi+wasabi.png
Sci-Fi Wasabi on

• Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esh on
  • Options
    PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »

Well thank christ I was distracted by PC gaming last night, mine's still shrinkwrapped.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to the store we go. :whistle:

(Wait, wrong type of dwarf.)

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Esh wrote: »

Well thank christ I was distracted by PC gaming last night, mine's still shrinkwrapped.

Hi ho, hi ho, it's back to the store we go. :whistle:

(Wait, wrong type of dwarf.)

There're almost 3,000 reviews for the Blu-Ray, the vast majority of them just being pissed that the extended versions aren't out yet. I didn't see any other people having issues, but I think most people just aren't buying it. Return it and get something else.

Esh on
  • Options
    GrisloGrislo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, unless a review is very specific about a problem you should take a low rating with a grain of salt, on account of the rage.

They play fine on my PS3, so it's not a universal problem along the lines of 'will not work, ever', but if they have a tendency to fail it might be prudent for the OP to see about getting his money back and sticking with the dvds for now.

Grislo on
    This post was sponsored by Tom Cruise.
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like you're not the only one, OP. It may be an issue with certain PS3 models or firmware versions. Have you updated your PS3 recently?

Edit: Never mind updating, someone in the Sony board thread says they're having the same issue with the latest PS3 version (3.21).

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Craptastic-JCraptastic-J Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sounds like you're not the only one, OP. It may be an issue with certain PS3 models or firmware versions. Have you updated your PS3 recently?

Edit: Never mind updating, someone in the Sony board thread says they're having the same issue with the latest PS3 version (3.21).

Yep, I have this problem on my slim PS3 with "all" blu-rays, and now even some games. It's like the main sound (main track? not sure technically) won't play, which is usually the dialogue. I popped in COD :WoW last night and same problem, I couldn't hear the main voice, or it was very faint, but all the other sound was fine. I thought maybe it was a problem with my receiver, but it's happening on my TV now too.

I've tried playing around with the sound settings, switching it to bitstream, or switching the Dolby versions around, and nothing works. DVD's and video files work fine. I've also tried flipping the sound settings on the actual disk, and no luck.

So yah, if anyone else knows whats going on, I'd be appreciative as well.

Craptastic-J on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had a similar issue a few weeks back on my friends brandy new PS3. Turns out it was locking into 7.1 mode, and we only have 2 speakers. Once we told it not to broadcast those channels, it worked fine. Might be a different prob with the same symptoms though.

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    HannyHanny Registered User new member
    edited April 2010
    Same exact issue..Thought it was the disc and I brought it back and lo and behold the same probelm with new disc.

Hanny on
  • Options
    Sci-Fi WasabiSci-Fi Wasabi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Took it back for a refund. Thankfully they pardoned the "no cash for open media" thing. Glad I didn't sell my Extended Edition dvds.

Sci-Fi Wasabi on
    sci+fi+wasabi.png