As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: Explosions, Hyperbole, and Hyperbolic Explosions

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When someone kills you they can see how much health they have.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    finnith wrote: »
    I said previously that Saiga Recons are pretty easy to play? If people on the server starts complaining about using that kit, I should stop playing it right? Then again, no one seems to have a problem running the CG Engies and the M60 Medic squads.

People will bitch about something if they die to it enough. Won't stop them doing their own broken shit, but interfere with their fun and they'll be pissed. I've died to Saiga recons plenty, but I still have match after match where I die to 40mm and CG's over and over. Basically, run whatever you want and just try not to piss off admins (particularly on Angry Dome).

-Loki- on
  • Options
    DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

0% is the saddest number.

Drool on
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drool wrote: »

The worst is when you unload 6 shotgun shells into their chest, see the cross indicating 6 hits, then they turn around and put a 1911 round between your eyes and their health is still at 100%.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Drool wrote: »

The worst is when you unload 6 shotgun shells into their chest, see the cross indicating 6 hits, then they turn around and put a 1911 round between your eyes and their health is still at 100%.

Nah, then you can call bullshit fucking awful shitty game RAAAAAAGE and punch your dick in ill-advised retaliation. The worst is when you see they're at 1-3%, because you came so close to winning that firefight.

EDIT this TOTP is so bad I punched my own dick in shame

Robman on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    yep, that map was usually not much fun

and then in DC they went and made the grenades even more powerful without any extra cooldown or anything
    To be fair though, everything in DC was more deadly. Damn the VSS.

What are the different sound options for on the 360? I couldn't really tell a difference.

oh my god the 0.6 VSS

*pfft* 3 kills

L|ama on
  • Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I think 0% is like .something% since guns do .something damage so I never got why people were angry about that and not, like, 16%. You were just as close either waaaaaaaay.

Also I don't get why A. people point out they're TOTP, B. why it's always to point out how awful their posting is when it's consistently terrible, and 3. why they do it when they're clearly not the top of anything.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    I think 0% is like .something% since guns do .something damage so I never got why people were angry about that and not, like, 16%. You were just as close either waaaaaaaay.

Also I don't get why A. people point out they're TOTP, B. why it's always to point out how awful their posting is when it's consistently terrible, and 3. why they do it when they're clearly not the top of anything.

A. It is a social phenomenon that we share together. It binds us together in covalent bonds.

Malkor on
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Holy crap I had a shitty night. I was just unloading clips into people and they would not die. Maybe I was a little more lagged than normal but it made a huge difference.

Asiina on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I don't like Hi-Fi, everything sounds muffled (More than it already is because of the "you're deaf because of an explosion" that is on 80% of the time) and never ever EVER activate Headphones, it sounds terrible.

Use Small Speakers at all times. The sound is so defined.

Warcry on
  • Options
    SladvanSladvan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What the fuck is wrong with people? Is it Carl Gustav night?

Sladvan on
    ken2.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sladvan wrote: »

Sounds like whenever I play on Angry Dome.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fats wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    I don't like Hi-Fi, everything sounds muffled (More than it already is because of the "you're deaf because of an explosion" that is on 80% of the time) and never ever EVER activate Headphones, it sounds terrible.

Huh, I've been playing with the headphone setting because hey, I use headphones. This stuff could really be more descriptive.

I use the headphones setting too and I think it sounds fine on my headphones. I really dislike war tapes because everything gets so loud, the bass is so high, and it echos so much that I have a harder time distinguishing between important sounds I should be listening for and just ambient crap.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    What's with The Angry Dome tonight? Where did everyone go?

Drool on
  • Options
    ghost_master2000ghost_master2000 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Indeed. I usually only bust out Carl if I am trying to take down a chopper, since it seems to travel faster, and arc less.

ghost_master2000 on
  • Options
    CognisseurCognisseur Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I feel bad. I'm totally a Carl whore. I feel like I can't help it though-- my BC2 just isn't running fluidly.

I tried playing some other FPSs today and I realized that those games handle much better. Is it because the mouse-acceleration hack isn't perfect? I feel like when I see enemies I can't just flick my mouse and be directly over their face like I do in all other FPSs. In BC2 it's a slow and laborious back and forth approximation effort. Anyone else feel that way?

Cognisseur on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    even turning my sens down to snipe and using the 12x scope, I will often not be able to put the crosshairs where I want (smallest increment always goes too far one way or the other) but I have a cheap crappy mouse so it could just be that. Battlefield games always have had some weird mouse things, it used to be a tiny tiny bit of mouse lag that was still just enough to put you off if you were used to other games.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »
    I feel bad. I'm totally a Carl whore. I feel like I can't help it though-- my BC2 just isn't running fluidly.

I tried playing some other FPSs today and I realized that those games handle much better. Is it because the mouse-acceleration hack isn't perfect? I feel like when I see enemies I can't just flick my mouse and be directly over their face like I do in all other FPSs. In BC2 it's a slow and laborious back and forth approximation effort. Anyone else feel that way?

maaaaaybe.

During the MW2 free weekend I'd play it for awhile then switch to BC2. BC2 felt slower and more unwieldy in some ways. I've been playing it exclusively since then, and now it feels fine though.

Malkor on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cognisseur wrote: »

I haven't even changed the default mouse sensitivity settings, let alone hacked around in any .ini files, and I've got no problems aiming at all. May be a mouse thing. I'm using a 5000 DPI laser mouse.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It feels exactly like Battlefield games have always felt.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    even turning my sens down to snipe and using the 12x scope, I will often not be able to put the crosshairs where I want (smallest increment always goes too far one way or the other) but I have a cheap crappy mouse so it could just be that. Battlefield games always have had some weird mouse things, it used to be a tiny tiny bit of mouse lag that was still just enough to put you off if you were used to other games.

Going between this and MW2/L4D2 is like night and fucking day. BC2 handles so much differently when you're in a vehicle, but when you're on foot it's like you're driving a minivan and you've lost half the steering fluid, so there's a huge amount of play on the wheel and oh god you've got to make some rapid turns and jesus fuck.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have not ever had an issue with aiming in this game and as far as I can tell the mouse acceleration fix just makes tanks work better.

maybe y'all just suck.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I miss a lot, but that's due to still having new-to-the-game nerves and being a bit jumpy, and not knowing the game physics or guns well enough. The game feels fine to me.

Besides, if whipping around instantly were how things worked, we wouldn't give gold medals to people because they can put on ice skates and spin 4 times in one jump.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kainy wrote: »
    I miss a lot, but that's due to still having new-to-the-game nerves and being a bit jumpy, and not knowing the game physics or guns well enough. The game feels fine to me.

Besides, if whipping around instantly were how things worked, we wouldn't give gold medals to people because they can put on ice skates and spin 4 times in one jump.

what

Malkor on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't notice much from the sensitivity fix other than the fact I can no longer steer the UAV with my mouse. :|

Fats on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    A lot of the handling complaints sound like the issue is that you can't whip a 4 kg 1m long rifle around with zero effort.

Basically it boils down to every game handles differently, and you need to adjust to what you're playing.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The games not trying to be realistic. It's just how Battlefield games play.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Additionally I'm pretty bad at this game, and therefore my thoughts are meaningless and invalid.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Additionally I'm pretty bad at this game, and therefore my thoughts are meaningless and invalid.

If you're new to battlefield, really do watch the video in the OP. It does a good job of showing you what to do differently to other FPS's.

edit - didn't even realize we have a New Zealand server. Shall be adding it to my favorites tonight.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

If you're new to battlefield, really do watch the video in the OP. It does a good job of showing you what to do differently to other FPS's.

It doesn't mention tap firing or how you generally need to lag the target due to the way the lag interpolation works

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I didn't notice much from the sensitivity fix other than the fact I can no longer steer the UAV with my mouse. :|
    You screwed up the fix.

edit: Up robman you don't need to "lag" anyone. I don't even think it's a verb.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SanguinarySanguinary Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For the audio tape comparison video that was put up last page-or-so, why the fuck is there such active bird life in the winter in a lightly-wooded, combat zone? I guess I never noticed while playing.

Sanguinary on
    "Und... under control? You're grabbing a fucking bazooka, you dumbass"

"I don't even bother to use my brain any more! There's nothing left in it"
  • Options
    edited April 2010

edit - didn't even realize we have a New Zealand server. Shall be adding it to my favorites tonight.

Oh trust me, I have. Doesn't mean I'm anywhere near as good as the rank 40+ people when I got this game four days ago.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »

It doesn't mention tap firing or how you generally need to lag the target due to the way the lag interpolation works

But it does tell you interesting things like spawning on squad mates and how to fucking spot.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Oh trust me, I have. Doesn't mean I'm anywhere near as good as the rank 40+ people when I got this game four days ago.

If you're new to battlefield, it'll take time. I'm not new, but I'm nowhere near as good as some of the guys around here. Beginner guns can be a contributing factor - try grabbing enemy kits until you unlock some good stuff yourself.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Does anyone know why my VOIP doesn't work? I can hear people talk, but I can't send anything. I push the right button, I rebound it, and still nothing. My mic works in every other game I own.

Drool on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    You screwed up the fix.

edit: Up robman you don't need to "lag" anyone. I don't even think it's a verb.

Yes it is you silly Mario enemy you

Robman on
  • Options
    HawkHawk ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Please add me to PC Players - Steam/EA ID : Hawk xSx

Hawk on
  • Options
    RykarRykar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Asiina wrote: »
    Holy crap I had a shitty night. I was just unloading clips into people and they would not die. Maybe I was a little more lagged than normal but it made a huge difference.

Sometimes just taking a break helps. I was doing really shitty when I first logged in tonight and did not improve. Logged off for about an hour or two, and came back. Did much better the second time around.

Indeed. I usually only bust out Carl if I am trying to take down a chopper, since it seems to travel faster, and arc less.

From what I've read, it does travel faster. The 'arc less' part is just an effect of the travelling faster. Gravity affects things all the same, ie, an RPG drops to the ground just as fast as a Carl round, its just the Carl round travels much farther during that same period of time.

Rykar on
    Rykar.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Rykar wrote: »
    From what I've read, it does travel faster. The 'arc less' part is just an effect of the travelling faster. Gravity affects things all the same, ie, an RPG drops to the ground just as fast as a Carl round, its just the Carl round travels much farther during that same period of time.

The CG definitely travels faster than the RPG-7, which makes it better for hitting untagged helicopters. Also makes it good for infantry sniping, which is irritating to say the least.

-Loki- on