As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bad Company 2: Explosions, Hyperbole, and Hyperbolic Explosions

• Options
    GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Knorre wrote: »
    "WILL DROP A NUKE ON THE WINNING TEAM'S BASE"?
    Uh yeah, you can actually set it so that if nobody switches over the team with more people automatically loses.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    GashikGashik Office Communist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It should have a setting so that the larger team just automatically dies from random CG spam.

Gashik on
  • Options
    JastJast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Something's up with the 360 version. Many of the times when I try to load a map, it crashes back to the dashboard. I thought they had fixed that problem. :x

Jast on
    Jast39.png
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So medic trains are pretty fun. I'm sad my game crashed before I could see the results of my no-kill run.

I don't see how a K/D ratio is somehow a better measure of usefulness than points. I'm having the most fun (and contributing to my team the most) when I'm healing/giving ammo or repairing a tank or running around reviving people. Shooting mans is good, but how are these not considered useful activities?

Asiina on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    who said they were not useful activities

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AsiinaAsiina ... WaterlooRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A couple people in vent last night when they were bitching about my K/D ratio vs. the points I had.

I think one of those people was Warcry though, so maybe it's not worth arguing.

Asiina on
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If someone is seriously harping about k/d ratio tell them Modern Warfare 2 is out.

There was a post in the last thread with someone sperging out about k/d ratio and points/game vs time spent and trying to mathematically prove he was a better player.

I think it took about 2 posts before someone told them to go away and that this is a game for fun.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would probably care about my k/d if it was above 1.

but

||
    \/

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    I would probably care about my k/d if it was above 1.

but

||
    \/

I wouldn't worry, mine is somewhere around .65

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only real stat I care about is point/min. It's the only way I can gauge how useful to my team I am being. I think...

jefe414 on
    Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Madpanda wrote: »
    If someone is seriously harping about k/d ratio tell them Modern Warfare 2 is out.

There was a post in the last thread with someone sperging out about k/d ratio and points/game vs time spent and trying to mathematically prove he was a better player.

I think it took about 2 posts before someone told them to go away and that this is a game for fun.

I didn't think any of it was particularly serious in vent.

Maybe I wasn't paying attention though.

Just need to unlock the M95 and I can stop playing recon.

Arlington on
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Some of my highest point games were ones where I didn't kill anyone.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    TheGerbilTheGerbil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Woo, all the engineer unlocks and medic unlocks... Now do I really want to stop playing these classes and try another?

TheGerbil on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »
    Woo, all the engineer unlocks and medic unlocks... Now do I really want to stop playing these classes and try another?

well the recon does get the mortar strike...

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    ofthefountainofthefountain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I care awful lot about my k/d ratio, that's why I often charge into enemy squads with my trusty m14.

Was someone bitching about being killed by m14 last night on vent? You should be ashamed of yourself.

ofthefountain on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    K/D means NOTHING if you lose the round. If you're more worried about K/D than making sure you're near the top of your team on points, you're doing it wrong. Go play MW2 or something.

El Guaco on
  • Options
    El GuacoEl Guaco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    trevellian wrote: »
    Right, I defy anyone to have developed crappier stats than me whilst levelling up.

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/mcgough

Don't know anyone else that plays (EU zone) so I am just bouncing from pub to pub in random groups with no real communication with the rest of the squad/team beyond simple spotting.

I am generally running as a recon at the moment to complete the unlocks, but switch to other kits on some maps depending on what we need at the time.

*ahem*

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/El%20Guaco

It's a tough call, I think the only stat I have you beat on is win-loss, but I think that's because I play a lot of medic and all those revives can really make or break a match. Otherwise, I suck! LOL

El Guaco on
  • Options
    TitanWolf220TitanWolf220 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Movitz wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    Seeing how the VSS have no crosshair reminded me of the good ol' days of Doom when we used to put pieces of scotch tape on the middle of our screens. I wonder....

whiteboard marker dogg

D00d!!! That's like, smart. Don't know how compatible it would be with a non-glossy LCD screen though.

It works, seeing as alot of snipers in this game (especially the GOL for me), get pretty steady 1 hit kills at close range, this might be something i do. I love having someone run up on me, and noscoping one to the body and taking them down. At most I sometimes have to whip out the 1911 and pop them one for time. But hey, Rule #2: Double tap. AMIRITE?

TitanWolf220 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kill death ratio is the only thing that means anything also holy fuck how the shit do people use the GOL what a fucking piece of shit.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Goomba wrote: »
    Kill death ratio is the only thing that means anything also holy fuck how the shit do people use the GOL what a fucking piece of shit.

wait a minute....

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    L|ama wrote: »
    Seeing how the VSS have no crosshair reminded me of the good ol' days of Doom when we used to put pieces of scotch tape on the middle of our screens. I wonder....

whiteboard marker dogg

D00d!!! That's like, smart. Don't know how compatible it would be with a non-glossy LCD screen though.

It works, seeing as alot of snipers in this game (especially the GOL for me), get pretty steady 1 hit kills at close range, this might be something i do. I love having someone run up on me, and noscoping one to the body and taking them down. At most I sometimes have to whip out the 1911 and pop them one for time. But hey, Rule #2: Double tap. AMIRITE?

I think most people use a red dot with the bolt action rifles actually.

I just don't want to screw up my screen with a marker. I wanted to clean my LCD at work with some pure EtOH once (long story), luckily I'm not more than half an idiot so tried it in a corner first. That poor corner won't ever be the same again.

Now I roll VSS with a small dot of what I think you Amurricans would call Blu-Tac.

Sadly, I still suck

Movitz on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Mouse Smoothing Fix updated for reference. In much better news, I've been talking to someone who is making a tool to automate this whole unsightly mess - so once that is done I'll go ahead and post it here :^:

CarbonFire's Turret Mouse Fix
    CARBONFIRE'S Mouse Smoothing and Turret Speed Fix for BFBC2

This fix will change the way your mouse works in-game for both your regular infantry view and when using stationary / vehicle turrets or Choppers.

Currently Battlefield Bad Company 2 has mouse smoothing on by default, with no way of turning the feature off in the game's settings. Mouse Smoothing normalizes your mouse's input, "smoothing out" very fast or very slow movements. The result of this smoothing is often aiming that feels floaty or laggy, which is obviously not desirable in an FPS!

Also BFBC2 turrets tend to turn at a much slower rate compared to normal infantry mouse aiming. This fix will solve that problem and opens the potential for turrets to reach their maximum turning speed without affecting infantry movement. This will also make vehicle turrets turn faster, but they have a hard-coded maximum turning speed, so don't expect to pull a quick 180 with a tank turret anytime soon.
    DISCLAIMER: This fix involves changing values within key game files that are relied upon to properly run BFBC2. It is advised that you back up these files prior to editing, and that you don't go changing any values outside the ones shown below. Use this fix at your own risk, you assume all responsibility if you mess up your game.
    Ok, with that out of the way, here are the steps to killing mouse smoothing and fixing those slow turrets:

Go to your My Documents > BFBC2 folder. We will be making changes to the Gamesettings.ini file, as well as the files within the <input> folder, so go ahead and make back-up copies of those first.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE AN <INPUT> FOLDER, IT IS BECAUSE YOU ARE USING THE DEFAULT KEYBINDINGS.
    You must go to your settings in-game and bind at least one custom control (doesn't matter which) before the game makes this folder with the proper files inside.

THE FIX
    1. Make sure BFBC2 is closed
    2. Open GameSettings.ini and make the following changes:

Sensitivity0=0.000000
      Sensitivity1=0.000000
      Sensitivity2=0.000000
      Scheme0Sensitivity=2.50000 <--- This value will be your normal in-game mouse sensitivity, it seems to have no effect on turrets or vehicles. Feel free to experiment with this value and change as necessary. I found 2.5 to be a good compromise between fast turning speed and precision with a 1000DPI mouse, but YMMV. Values from 0.001 to 100+ are valid.
      InputAcceleration=0

3. Save and close GameSettings.ini
    4. Navigate to the <input> folder, open infantry.dbx using notepad
    5. Search for the following line:
      <field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptPitch</field>
    6. Below this line you'll see several similar-looking blocks of data. Make the following changes:

infantryinput1.jpg
    7. Just Below this section you'll find a similar section with the following header:
      <field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptYaw</field>

Again, find the appropriate block of data and make the following changes:

infantryinput2.jpg
    8. Save and close infantry.dbx

Mouse Smoothing should be effectively disabled at this point. However this change will render turrets and vehicles nearly impossible to use, so make sure you follow the remaining steps...
    9. In the <input> folder, open land.dbx using notepad
    10. Search for the following line:
    11. Again, you'll see several similar-looking blocks of data below this section. Make the following changes:

landinput1.jpg

Note: 10 here is a suggestion, again feel free to experiment. Values below 5 seemed too sluggish for my taste, while values far greater than 20 did not seem to make turrets any faster at turning, just more "squirrely" (changing directions more quickly, making it harder to stay on target).
    12. Just Below this section you'll find a similar section with the following header:
      <field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptRoll</field>

landinput2.jpg
      Added 4/9/10
      Addendum wrote:
      - Search for the following line:
      <field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptCameraPitch</field>
      As with the previous mouse settings, Change both <field name="ScaleValue">0.0099999998</field> to 2.5

<field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptCameraYaw</field>
      As with the previous mouse settings, Change both <field name="ScaleValue">0.0099999998</field> to 2.5
    13. Save and close land.dbx

Note: The next section applies only to piloting Helicopters (not including the UAV). Gunner seats and the UAV seem to follow the "land" control guidelines for turning speed. Also this fix was only tested for mouse flight. If you fly with a joystick or keyboard-only controls, you'll probably have to play with these settings a bit more to get them to work with your setup. Good Luck!
    14. In the <input> folder, open air.dbx using notepad
    15. Same as before, search for the following line:

Below this line you'll see several similar-looking blocks of data. Make the following changes:

airinput1.jpg
    16. Search for the following line:
      <field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptRoll</field>

airinput2.jpg

Choppers seem to need much higher values to compensate for setting the "main" mouse sensitivity to zero in step 2. Much lower than 100 and the chopper is hard to move. I tried up to 300, and while it worked, it wasn't a significant change. Again, experiment and find a value that suits you. Like turrets, there is a hard-coded maximum turning speed that the game allows, so don't expect this to transform your chopper into a super stunt machine.
      Added 4/9/10
      Addendum wrote:
      <field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptCameraPitch</field>

<field name="ConceptIdentifier">ConceptCameraYaw</field>
    17. Save and close air.dbx
    18. Start up BFBC2
    19. ENJOY!
    20. (optional)Curse EA as the servers go down again and go play single-player instead ;-)
    4/9/10: Updated to fix free-look while using first-person view in vehicles

One final note: Vehicles / Turrets will always be affected by some smoothing, as there is no Scheme#Sensitivity or other setting I was able to find in GameSettings.ini that changed vehicle/turret behavior.

Hope this tutorial makes your BC2 experience just a little more awesome.

See you on the Battlefield soldier 8-)

This gives me an excuse to ask about how this fix may or may not have futzed up my UAV controls.

Basically, the fix works great when on foot and when in vehicles/stationary guns/turrets, but when I try and fly a UAV it barely moves. I have to move the mouse around a total of 21 inches or so (in other words, three or four repeated large sweeps of the mouse) in order to have the UAV move even a tiny bit.

Is anyone else having this issue. and are there some values I should be tweaking to fix it?

Lawndart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lawndart did you change the pitch, roll, and yaw of your air.pdx or whatever it's called? I was having trouble until I realized I had to change whichever one Carbon leaves out.

wait a minute....
    It's slow. So slow.

So fucking slow. I get that people think it has less bullet drop (maybe it does I dunno?????) but goddamn. Might as well be using the POS M95.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    RE: People with insane stats.

It's an exploit that's been there since the Beta.

They basically set a loop up to arm/disarm MCOM stations. One person on attackers arms the station, the other person in defenders disables it. But there's this exploit or glitch or something that lets's you loop it, so it happens over and over and over without doing any keypresses.

That's why these guys have 40 hours on the AEK, but only 10 kills, but 51 MCOM attacker pins (In a round, blow up 4 mcom stations).

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lawndart did you change the pitch, roll, and yaw of your air.pdx or whatever it's called? I was having trouble until I realized I had to change whichever one Carbon leaves out.

Ah, that may be it. Thanks, I'll futz with them and see. I don't think I changed anything in the air.pdx since I never fly helicopters and the fix says the UAV uses land controls.

Lawndart on
  • Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    El Guaco wrote: »
    trevellian wrote: »
    Right, I defy anyone to have developed crappier stats than me whilst levelling up.

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/mcgough

Don't know anyone else that plays (EU zone) so I am just bouncing from pub to pub in random groups with no real communication with the rest of the squad/team beyond simple spotting.

I am generally running as a recon at the moment to complete the unlocks, but switch to other kits on some maps depending on what we need at the time.

*ahem*

http://bfbcs.com/stats_pc/El%20Guaco

It's a tough call, I think the only stat I have you beat on is win-loss, but I think that's because I play a lot of medic and all those revives can really make or break a match. Otherwise, I suck! LOL

Oh, you all haven't seen bad stats till you've seen mine.

http://bfbc2.statsverse.com/stats/pc/Banzai5150

edit: I blame old age!

Banzai5150 on
    50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As I've said before: My K/D is terrible, if you put up against say, MagicPrime, or CarbonFire.

Yet, if you look at my awards list, I have several Ace and Ace Squad pins. We can't all be CarbonFire, so for the rest of us, we become "great players" by being good team players and helping our team win.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    wait...

much of this post ironic.

In TF2 you said K:D ratio didn't mean squat, but in BC2 it does? :shock:

Also I've seen you use the GOL over and over and over and over and over Goomba, with positive results. How are you saying this now?

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    wait...

much of this post ironic.

In TF2 you said K:D ratio didn't mean squat, but in BC2 it does? :shock:

Also I've seen you use the GOL over and over and over and over and over Goomba, with positive results. How are you saying this now?

You haven't figured out yet that Goomba's rants change daily, and are generally self contradictory? The rest of us have, so we just kind of ignore him.

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    He was being sarcastic I'm pretty sure.

Satsumomo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TheGerbil wrote: »

Assault. It starts out slow, but once you open the XM8 Project and Ammo Box, it takes off. It overtook medic as my highest point kit about three days ago.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Satsumomo wrote: »
    He was being sarcastic I'm pretty sure.

It's literally impossible to tell with Goomba.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010

So fucking slow. I get that people think it has less bullet drop (maybe it does I dunno?????) but goddamn. Might as well be using the POS M95.

The GOL is much faster than the M95.

What are you smoking?

Unless this is another 360/PC situation.

Sheep on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have 263 savior pins

Apparently I save people a lot

Or steal their kills i dunno

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    AlejandroDaJAlejandroDaJ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is it that you PC players can get so upset at BFBC2 because you're constantly playing on the same server together? We all have shitty games (and being on the losing team in BFBC2 is often like being dragged behind a runaway vehicle or something), but on the 360, we can always bail and find another random server so long as our Party stays intact.

Whereas you guys have the Angry Dome. And if things suck in there, it's rather unappealing to just up and leave, because it's the Angry Dome! It's where PA goes!

In other news, I max-leveled the Assault and Recon classes last night. I feel so empty now.

AlejandroDaJ on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I played PA servers pretty regularly on TF2 until this one girl with this absolutely annoying laugh kept constantly yelling at me for about three games in a row about how I'm not being a good enough Medic even though I was running Pyro and Demo.

That and when All Chat kept getting voted on and it was just an hour of everyone yelling over everyone else in an attempt to throw out witty one liners.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »

The GOL is much faster than the M95.

What are you smoking?

Unless this is another 360/PC situation.

It's a Goomba situation. Kinda his thing. And I love him for it.

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    You haven't figured out yet that Goomba's rants change daily, and are generally self contradictory? The rest of us have, so we just kind of ignore him.
    Trust me: I'm from the TF2 thread and I used to have a signature of me backstabbing goomba for quite some time - I know.

I just like to give Goomba the benefit of the doubt more often, recently he's been less troll-like and more rad-like.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Assault. It starts out slow, but once you open the XM8 Project and Ammo Box, it takes off. It overtook medic as my highest point kit about three days ago.
    Assault is my favorite now as well.

Definitely the best class.

I love the feeling of seeing a muzzleflash in a building's window, shooting a 40mm into the side of the window's wall, only to blow 2 enemies and hear "CHA-CHING!"

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Assault is my favorite now as well.

Definitely the best class.

I love the feeling of seeing a muzzleflash in a building's window, shooting a 40mm into the side of the window's wall, only to blow 2 enemies and hear "CHA-CHING!"

Yah, 40mm is great, but I like Assault because the good AR's (XM8, AN-94, M416, M16) all feel like awesome, beefy, holy righteous tools of mans killing.

Everyone talks about how deadly the LMG's are, but I am a MUCH more efficient killer with the good AR's than I am even the M60. My K/D ratio and number of gold stars in Assault (with nearly equal point totals and hours played) shows that.

GnomeTank on