As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Kentucky Fried [Chat]

• Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    This is rough.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Oh lord I am eating Doritos again. I gotta get these things out of my house.

WHATFLAVORDORITOSSIG?

Dude nacho cheese I told you last night!

I told you man

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    DeShadowC wrote: »
    they don't come over and play tha vidja and drink cocktails with me though!!

I want a buddy whose house I can go over to and play vidja games and drink cocktails.

well shit man move to boston

Don't tempt me. Although you wouldn't want to hang out with me Will. You think I'm a weeaboo.

i invited you, not you and pillow-chan

we'd get along fine as long as you left her at home

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

WHATFLAVORDORITOSSIG?

I told you man

it keeps happening

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    A staten island is when you smash you head with a bottle of sambuca, shouting "HOW BOUT A LIL BUCA!"

and then you drink your own blood from your gold medallion necklace

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    Do I preorder an iPad 3G if I find a full-time job: y/n

N.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2010

nope

save your money so you can get out of Asshole, NY

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    TarranonTarranon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    Tarranon wrote: »
    okay what the fuck
    The following data represent the running lengths (in minutes) of the winners of the Academy Award for Best Picture for the years 1999-2004:

[snipped, they list the six movies and their running times]

A) compute the population mean. [easy]
    B) List all possible samples with size n=2. There should be 6C2=15 samples. [again, easy]
    C) Construct a sampling distribution for the mean by listing the sample means and their corresponding probabilities. [The sampling means are easy, just add the two numbers in each sample and divide by 2, but how do I find their probabilities? It's not normally distributed.]
    D) Compute the mean of the sampling distribution. [Easy]
    E) Compute the probability that the sample mean is within 15 minutes of the population mean running time. [I have no idea how to do this.]

The ones in bold I'm completely lost about. The textbook is fucking useless.

I feel like I might be missing some info, but are you allowed to force the data into being normal?
    What do you mean?

I may have been overthinking it, will's thing sounds right. I'm digging out my stat textbook over here.

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ain't nothin' wrong, ain't nothin' right.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

nope

save your money so you can get out of Asshole, NY

this

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    okay what the fuck
    The following data represent the running lengths (in minutes) of the winners of the Academy Award for Best Picture for the years 1999-2004:

B) List all possible samples with size n=2. There should be 6C2=15 samples. [again, easy]
    C) Construct a sampling distribution for the mean by listing the sample means and their corresponding probabilities. [The sampling means are easy, just add the two numbers in each sample and divide by 2, but how do I find their probabilities? It's not normally distributed.]
    E) Computer the probability that the sample mean is within 15 minutes of the population mean running time. [I have no idea how to do this.]

the probability of each 2-sample mean value should be 1/15 unless i misunderstand

so find the mean value for all 6 films
    find how many of the 2-sample means are within 15 minutes of this. call that number N
    the probability of the 2-sample mean being within 15 minutes of the mean is N/15

it's kind of a dumb measurement. a better one is (number of films within 15 mins of mean)/6

tell your instructor this
    Hmm okay the probabilities being 1/15 makes sense.

That last part is the way to find it out experimentally but I have the feeling she is looking for a specific calculation.

In the chapter we learn about how the sampling distribution approaches normality as the sample size increases, regardless of the distribution of the underlying population. So I am suspecting there's some way to equation it up without actually tallying them up and dividing.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    A staten island is when you smash you head with a bottle of sambuca, shouting "HOW BOUT A LIL BUCA!"

if it is a rainbow necklace is it a Staten Island Fairy

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

In order to move I either need to wait until I can transfer to a four-year university out of state or I need to find a roommate so I can split costs, otherwise I will be stuck working a full-time job trying to pay for an apartment and I won't be able to go to school.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    On the bright side, if I'm taking Philosophy of Science next semester.

Winky on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

WHATFLAVORDORITOSSIG?

I told you man

NANCHO!!!

012.jpg

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    seriously will?
    you too?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NANCHO

So It Goes on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Senjutsu wrote: »

if it is a rainbow necklace is it a Staten Island Fairy

you sir,

you

are a man of infinite jest

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    DeShadowCDeShadowC Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    they don't come over and play tha vidja and drink cocktails with me though!!

I want a buddy whose house I can go over to and play vidja games and drink cocktails.

well shit man move to boston

Don't tempt me. Although you wouldn't want to hang out with me Will. You think I'm a weeaboo.

i invited you, not you and pillow-chan

we'd get along fine as long as you left her at home

:lol: I'm not that sad.

DeShadowC on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    okay what the fuck

E) Computer the probability that the sample mean is within 15 minutes of the population mean running time. [I have no idea how to do this.]

the probability of each 2-sample mean value should be 1/15 unless i misunderstand

find how many of the 2-sample means are within 15 minutes of this. call that number N
    the probability of the 2-sample mean being within 15 minutes of the mean is N/15

it's kind of a dumb measurement. a better one is (number of films within 15 mins of mean)/6

That last part is the way to find it out experimentally but I have the feeling she is looking for a specific calculation.

In the chapter we learn about how the sampling distribution approaches normality as the sample size increases, regardless of the distribution of the underlying population. So I am suspecting there's some way to equation it up without actually tallying them up and dividing.

eh it won't converge with a 2-sample mean and a 6-sample population but yeah you would calculate the variance, take 15 min. divided by variance to find how many sigmas, and look it up on a table to find the population probability within the bounds

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am a man of most excellent fancy

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dlinf what is your problem dogg

it's like you got broad side school fed up the bone bulge

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

In order to move I either need to wait until I can transfer to a four-year university out of state or I need to find a roommate so I can split costs, otherwise I will be stuck working a full-time job trying to pay for an apartment and I won't be able to go to school.

what happened to chu?

i thought he was moving out of philly

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fucking Time.

I hates me some time. Always fucking up my personal identity and shit.

I say we do away with Time, there must be some better alternative.

And I don't want to hear a bunch of whining "What about space and physics, boo hoo!"

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

what happened to chu?

I don't think he wants to do it, probably too risky, which I understand completely.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I doubled my sales last month!

From what, 2 to 4?

YUP

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ain't nothin' wrong, ain't nothin' right.

only pleasure and paaa-aaaiiin

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

what happened to chu?

he has been lulled into settling by the succubus

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    I fired up Rome: Total War again. I have a weird relationship with these games. I love the strategy sections and do pretty well at them, and I want to love the big epic battles where I move my lines of mans around and do cavalry charges and shit, but I am so terrible at that stuff that I end up auto-resolving every battle. But I feel like I'm cheating myself out of half the game.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Fucking Time.

I hates me some time. Always fucking up my personal identity and shit.

I say we do away with Time, there must be some better alternative.

And I don't want to hear a bunch of whining "What about space and physics, boo hoo!"

Time is the horizon for the projection of Being.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

what happened to chu?

wait is he back with is ex?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

what happened to chu?

I don't think he wants to do it, probably too risky, which I understand completely.

what's risky is maintaining inertia working at a rite-aid in a shitty part of philly with no-account relatives and hoping that someday your life might turn around

he needs to get out

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    yeah i'd have to sell everything i own (like, terminate my cell contract, sell my computer, sell my guitar, sell pretty much everything else), go to a new city, pay part of a first, last, and security, pay miscellaneous expenses, and hope i find a job IMMEDIATELY

and i'm not saying i won't ever have the balls to do that

but even if i sell everything i own i still won't have enough to give it a solid try

Organichu on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tarranon wrote: »
    dlinf what is your problem dogg

it's like you got broad side school fed up the bone bulge

man
    y'all kids these days with your lingo
    i don't unnastand nonna what you kids are all jibberin an jabberin about these days

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    i am not dating anyone right now, that has nothing to do with it

if i had ten grand i would leave philadelphia post haste

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You guys are relentless.

what happened to chu?

wait is he back with is ex?

no but they are having sex behind the back of the man she left him to get engaged to I guess

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

From what, 2 to 4?

YUP

Instead, you should play that as a 100% increase!

James on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    okay what the fuck

eh it won't converge with a 2-sample mean and a 6-sample population but yeah you would calculate the variance, take 15 min. divided by variance to find how many sigmas, and look it up on a table to find the population probability within the bounds
    Hmm. Okay there's a way to do that with my graphing calculator so I will try to figure it out.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    James wrote: »

From what, 2 to 4?

YUP

Instead, you should play that as a 100% increase!

it was from The Office that is on right now

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh jeez this is driving me insane. only like a couple of months and already I'm losing the finer stat concepts

arrrgh goddamn you 3 month courses and the way you seep in and out of my brain

Tarranon on
    You could be anywhere
    On the black screen
This discussion has been closed.