Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Let's Play] Final Fantasy 'II' - What DOES Spoony Mean? (Ch10 - 5/17/10)

OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
edited May 2010 in Games and Technology
Let's Play Final Fantasy 'II'

Ff4_logo.png

In 1990, Square (later known as Squaresoft and now as Square-Enix) decided to jump on the Super-NES (or Super Famicom in Japan) boat with other third-party developers via it's Final Fantasy franchise. Originally planning to wait till Final Fantasy 5 to do so, Square changed their minds and used Final Fantasy 4 to kick off the SNES years. This choice would end up starting a tradition to give every generation of home consoles (NES, SNES, Playstation, and Playstation-2) a trio of FF-games from the main series before moving on to the next new kid on the block. Japanese gamers were given their first taste of 16-bit FF-goodness with FF4's release on July 19, 1991 thanks to the efforts of the FF-dream team; director Hironobu Sakaguchi, artist/designer Yoshitaka Amano, and composer Nobuo Uematsu. The result of their work was a game that held a story deeper then most games of the time with equally engrossing characters. A game which ended up selling 1.5 million copies.

We won't be playing that game. Not exactly.
Ff2usbox.gif

The original Final Fantasy had been released in Japan in 1987. However, American gamers didn't have a chance to try the game until 1990. In between that time, FF2 and FF3 had been released in Japan for the NES. Concidering that the 'future is now' with the SNES' release in 1990, Nintendo and Square were relcutant to say the least to spend money translating two games that might not sell due to us gamers having tossed their NES consoles already to the back of their closets. Also, Nintendo didn't wanna admit to their customers that they basically screwed them out of two games. Luckily, the Internet and the crowds of nosy busybodies it'd attract were all still toddlers then, drooling over it's teething rings and dreaming of the day it'd be able to inform, spoil and nerdrage in their 56K-dialup big boy pants.

Final Fantasy 4 thus came out to the US as Final Fantasy II, with no one the wiser that besides some of the natural edits that came with translating Japanese text to English text in those days, we were given a game slightly neutered when it came to certain subplots, some inherent and now missing character abilities, merged and missing items and also anything Nintendo felt was too adult or too Christian-offending. The altered game didn't bother US gamers however as it got solid reviews and high praise. It took Square releasing Final Fantasy VII on a non-Nintendo system years later more or less for the general gaming public to get wise on how much we exactly missed. Still, during these days of proper multiple ports of the NES and SNES Final Fantasy games, there's still those of us who enjoy (and dump over, sadly) the original US release of FF4.

Now, before we get started, I'd like to lay out a few things first for the LP.

1) This is pretty much my first proper LP here. So I will probably make quite a few mistakes. In that regard, please feel free to tell me how bad I'm screwing up either in gameplay or presentation. Feedback of any kind is welcome here. Just try to keep the insults about my intelligence down to one per post. :)

2) I love Final Fantasy but I'm not the sort of fan who knows every facet of it 100%. So while I will point out stuff from this game and how it connects to other FF-titles, there may be a probability that I'll goof up with the facts. So if I say something wrong like Chocobo feathers are flavescent yellow when they're actually chartreuse, you're more then welcome to correct me.

3) I know the game's certainly passed the need for spoiler-protection but I'd still like to ask that those who wanna say stuff about the plot still use the spoiler-box for it. There may be some that haven't had a chance to see this particular version of Final Fantasy 4 before or perhaps not played it at all. I'll be using the box myself to place updates in as well as plot-talk. I'll be labeling both so you know what's what.

4) I don't mind too much if discussion in the thread gets sidetracked to other titles for a few posts but G&T does have it's own Final Fantasy topic so it'll be best to save some of the more heated discussions not related to the LP like 'Cloud vs Lightning' and '50 reasons I like/don't like Marche' to there. I'll try to do the same. :)

Right! If anyone's still with me after all that text, let's get to the game.

Table Of Chapters (and links):
Chapter 1 - Next post after this one!
Chapter 2 - Here!
Chapter 3 - Here!
Chapter 4 - Here!
Chapter 5 - Here!
Chapter 6 - Here!
Chapter 7 - Here!
Chapter 8 - Here!
Chapter 9/iBard 1 - Here!
Chapter 10 - Here!

Owenashi on

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    (Warning: The LP's updates may possibly be quite long and may not be suited to those suffering from any form of ADD. Side-effects of reading this LP may include laughing, crying, groaning, nerdrage, window-closing, monitor-tossing and hair-loss. Check with a doctor to see if poking fun at a RPG from 1991 is right for you)

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 1: The Most Well-Armored Delivery Boy On The Planet
    Spoiler:

• BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    spoony, spooney [ˈspuːnɪ] Slang rare old-fashioned
    adj spoonier, spooniest
    foolishly or stupidly amorous
    n pl spoonies
    a fool or silly person, esp one in love
    Spoiler:

steam_sig.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Businessman!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well it depends on who you ask, really. Some might say FFIV was a great case of Woolseying

steam_sig.png

I pronounce it bee-log. Most recent entry: VIDEO GAMES: GUNPOINT, OR A SCIENTIFIC STUDY ON WHAT HAPPENS WHEN GLASS MEETS TROUSERS. 3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348
  • HenroidHenroid Nobody Nowhere fastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    As far as I know SirRonLionheart didn't finish his LP of this game, so it is now in your hands Owen.

"Ultima Online Pre-Trammel is the perfect example of why libertarians are full of shit."
    - @Ludious
    PA Lets Play Archive - Twitter - Blog (6/15/14)
    edited April 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    As far as I know SirRonLionheart didn't finish his LP of this game, so it is now in your hands Owen.

Heh, I'll do my best. Anyway, Chapter 1's up (above)!

• SepahSepah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I played the hell out of this as a kid. Looking forward to more, Owenashi.

Minerva_SC wrote:
    I don't think I've ever raged as hard as I just did. The amount of stupidity was so intense I couldn't eben think of words venomous enough to insult my team mates. I was literally choking on my own rage. I can only hope they all live in the same city and die in a tragic bus accident today, or tommorow. I'll pray to whatever dark god I have to.

ah yes another night of LoL.
  • NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hey guys, this is relevant, NAME THAT FF2UNE

I'm looking for the name of that slow, sad piano track from FFII, something like into the cave or into the dark or something. I believe it's in the Mist Cave even? one of those dark mysterious Uematsu gems I can't remember the name of. It's very slow and somber.

:winky:
    louzorz.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Nalouto wrote: »
    hey guys, this is relevant, NAME THAT FF2UNE

I'm looking for the name of that slow, sad piano track from FFII, something like into the cave or into the dark or something. I believe it's in the Mist Cave even? one of those dark mysterious Uematsu gems I can't remember the name of. It's very slow and somber.

Is it this one?

Into The Darkness

• NaloutoNalouto Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    absolutely! I guess I had a live piano version of it by Uematsu, thanks, that will help me find it again.

:winky:
    louzorz.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Nalouto wrote: »
    absolutely! I guess I had a live piano version of it by Uematsu, thanks, that will help me find it again.

No prob. :) I might post a couple of non-MIDI versions once we get to that part of the game.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Lifting Since 1997Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SCREAAAAAAAAM!
    Spoiler:

• Romero ZombieRomero Zombie Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Never played this version, but I snagged the DS one not too long ago and beat it. Enjoyed it a lot more than I initially thought.

steam_sig.png
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Loved FF2 as a kid but found it frustrating in parts and so didn't bother to finish it. Also there was this little game called Super Street Fighter 2. Looking forward to seeing how this game ends!

• Kevin CristKevin Crist I'll tell you my sins so you can sharpen your knivesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FF4 is far and away my favourite FF game. Looking forward to see your playthrough.

acpRlGW.jpg291.gif
    Steam: Hugo X Poison| Battlenet: SkinnerSweet#1401
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    there's never any such thing as "past spoiler protection"

• ASimPersonASimPerson And protect them from the evils of the world like trigonometry and prime numbers.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's the opening pre-title screen sequence from the GBA version, featuring the Final Fantasy Theme:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVtRC7d9LUs

redoctober2.png
    SE++ Forum Battle Archive | PST = Pacific Standard Time | DRUNKSTUCK: A Homestuck recap
  • El FantasticoEl Fantastico Oh myyy Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Delicious game. I know this game in and out so if you screw anything up, ANYTHING, I'll be sure to let you know.

Great 1st chapter by the way.

PSN: ArcticArctos
    3DSXL: 4527-9072-5305
    Steam: Arcadebear
    Brave Frontier: 3087842592
    edited April 2010
    Just to let you guys know, I'm going to try to release updates on Mondays and Fridays. Not that I'm saying we'll be getting a steady two updates a week. I'm just saying that when I do update, I'll make it those days. I do have some chapters written up already as a buffer but that probably won't last. Especially when I get deeper into the game and have to spend some time grinding to get the right levels for the next part. That goes double for spells. I'll try not to leave you guys hanging too long though.

Oh, and I'm gonna tweak the two obviously not-in-game pictures in Chapter 1 as I feel they're not really giving you the proper look at Cecil's and Kain's armors.

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 2: Bouncing About Baron (Castle)
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    Spot on with the prologue pictures. That last line takes for-fucking-ever to scroll up.

Since this is a Let's Play, and FFII/IV actually let you rename all characters, can we come up with replacements for the party members?

• kuhlmeyekuhlmeye Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is great. I'll be using this as a way to replay this game while finishing FFXIII and playing through Chrono Cross again!

PSN: the-K-flash
  • brynstarbrynstar Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Read through the first update, enjoyed it quite a bit! This was one of my favorite games as a kid, I used to love pouring through the shockingly beefy manual.

Xbox Live: Xander51
    PSN ID : Xander51 Steam ID : Xander51
    edited April 2010
    Spot on with the prologue pictures. That last line takes for-fucking-ever to scroll up.

Since this is a Let's Play, and FFII/IV actually let you rename all characters, can we come up with replacements for the party members?

I'll be keeping the names as is, thought you can count on seeing how the game lets you rename characters in the next chapter!
    brynstar wrote: »
    Read through the first update, enjoyed it quite a bit! This was one of my favorite games as a kid, I used to love pouring through the shockingly beefy manual.

Yeah, I think I remember it. It was like that because they also stuffed I think a partial strategy guide in it. In fact, I borrowed from the library a SNES guide made by Prima that among a few other games had a FF-'II' half-guide that started where the manual stopped. 5 bonus points for anyone who can find the cover for it! :)

edited April 2010
    Sorry for the double-posting but it is a Friday and I do have a chapter available so here we go!

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 3: Don't Get Pissed. We're Getting To Mist
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    Yay Myst!

edited April 2010
    Thanks for the bump to the next page, El. I was getting worried that I'd end up making the first page too image-heavy. Anyway, it's a Monday, so here's an update!

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 4: (Insert 'The Roof Is On Fire' Joke Here)
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    Heh, I only wish that ending happened in the game.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great LP so far. Loved FFII back in the day!

steam_sig.png
  • ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    edited April 2010
    My buffer grows short but enjoy an update anyway!

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 5: I'm Just A Caller Girl In A Final Fantasy World
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    Not sure if it was viable in FF2, but I imagine it was due to the stat fixing they did for FF4DS that her Rod (weapon class) damage scaled with her Wisdom stat and did obscene amounts of damage. Why consume 5MP to cast any spell when Rod did just as much damage?

I almost always leveled Rydia to around 15 before heading to the Waterway.

• Smaug6Smaug6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does BYOT mean Bring your own Tentacle?

steam_sig.png
    edited April 2010
    Smaug6 wrote: »
    Does BYOT mean Bring your own Tentacle?

Heh, it all depends on your frame of mind.

• Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Lifting Since 1997Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Even looking back at this inferior translation, Rydia's story still makes me :( everytime.

If only the rest of the game followed suit with the whole Redemption theme, instead of jumping the [strike]shark[/strike] moon whale.

edited April 2010
    Warning about this chapter: It's a bit long.

Final Fantasy 'II' - Chapter 6: Passing Through The Watery Falls
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    Your screenshot showing "hidden" passages doesn't show it too well, actually. I can just barely make out the slight discoloring.

edited April 2010
    Your screenshot showing "hidden" passages doesn't show it too well, actually. I can just barely make out the slight discoloring.

Really? I can see them pretty well. They are visible nonetheless, right?

• ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Owenashi wrote: »

Really? I can see them pretty well. They are visible nonetheless, right?

I picked 'em out right away.

elvenshae2_zps569236d5.png
    Steam: Elvenshae // PSN: Elvenshae // WotC: Elvenshae
    The FATE of the Rebellion PBP
    FotR on Obsidian Portal
  • C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Even looking back at this inferior translation, Rydia's story still makes me :( everytime.

If only the rest of the game followed suit with the whole Redemption theme, instead of jumping the [strike]shark[/strike] moon whale.

I don't think that the moon bit was jumping the shark here. I mean, you were basically in hell before that. o_O

Also wasn't the sci-fi bit not just a recurring theme in the earlier FF's?

What really made me o_O about this game was what started with Kain.
    Spoiler:

I mean EVERYTHING.

The cid of this game is honestly the "chuck norris" of Final Fantasy with the whole
    Spoiler:

edited April 2010
    C2B wrote: »

I don't think that the moon bit was jumping the shark here. I mean, you were basically in hell before that. o_O

Also wasn't the sci-fi bit not just a recurring theme in the earlier FF's?

What really made me o_O about this game was what started with Kain.
    Spoiler:

I mean EVERYTHING.

The cid of this game is honestly the "chuck norris" of Final Fantasy with the whole
    Spoiler:

See, I have no problem with the "sacrifices" made in RPGs that include ways to revive party members. The story usually takes it to a particular extreme to tug at the player's heartstrings, but anyone who's played an RPG beyond the opening sequences is going to know "I can always use a Revive Item/Spell".

I watch my characters explode with Fire 3, get impaled by icicles with Ice 3, and eat several gigawatts of power with Lit 3, then take several meteors in the face. As long as one person survives - Phoenix Down!
    Spoiler:

Fast forward to FF7:
    Spoiler:
    Yeah, yeah, it's 10+ years old at this point, I know.