As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The continuing adventures of: Chuck vs [Adjective] [Noun]

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    devCharles wrote: »
    By the way, the sweet onion sauce is best with jalapenos. Lots of jalapenos.

I can't eat spicy food :(

I do have a strong affinity to combinations of sweet/sour/salty though, which is likely why I like the sweet onion sauce on the salty Italian BMT. It's not for everyone.

(I also ask them to hold the lettuce. Stupid lettuce. Nobody likes you.)

hippofant on
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My rule of thumb, if I'm eating somewhere that I'm not familiar with the menu, is to order the thing that looks like it has the strongest taste, whether that be spicy/salty/sweet/fishy/whatever.

If I eat there multiple times, I'll experiment, but I loves me some flavor assaults.

[on-topic] Chuck makes me feel I am not alone in my flavor fixation. [/on-topic]

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kipling217 wrote: »
    I hope that the recent events are leading up to:
    Ellie and Awsome becoming part of team Bartowski. Like fulltime. I am hoping this Agent X turns out to be Ellie with a new version of the intersect in her head. We have had Intersect 1.0 goverment database and Chuck has Intersect 2.0 with the kung fu. How about a Intersect 3.0 with superlearing. Like supercomputer in Ellies head capable of figuring out unknown codes and stuff just by watching. Not kung fu though, because thats what the rest of the team can do.

I personaly always thought it was kind of a plothole that the Intersect always contained the right information for the job. The Nuke last week was the first time in years where Chuck used his own brains to save the day.

It gives them a chance to integrate Ellie and Awsome into the team and rehash the early years
    With somebody unused to the spy world dropped headfirst into it. Only this time with Ellie instead of Chuck.

Not sure why we're spoiling speculation, but: They already have that- Morgan. Morgan is Chuck 1.0. With a bitchin beard.

Awesome is a crap spy and should stay that way. He can have flashes of Awesome in that world since he's Awesome, but overall him being worse than Chuck ever was works well. Don't fix what isn't broken.

Ellie has more room to expand, as she's kind of been on the way side. I can't see her becoming part of the team, though. She just had a kid. She's mostly against the spy life. Too many Bartowski's on the team for Casey to insult easily.

And of course the intersect contained the right info for the job. That's the entire point of it. I'm not sure where they were going with Ellie's description of her dads works, since she described exactly what the intersect does/has done. So there has to be more to this new laptop.

Edit: Oh look, there was another page of replies. I apologize for nothing!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, why would she pay an assassin directly from her own account. Doesn't her dad's lawyer know how to hide where the money's coming from?
    Obviously Lawyer dude did it without her knowledge so Team Bartowski would go after her, thus tricking her in to thinking the CIA is out to get her family, leading her down the path of becoming a criminal, which will eventually result Volkov somehow getting out of prison.

Duh.

Okay, that makes a lot of sense.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's also possible that the CIA is competent enough to see through their money-laundering techniques.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You have to admit thought that they need a reason to give the supporting cast something to do. As it is, most of the suporting cast outside of team Bartowski just wander in every other episode with some meandering subplot that has no relation to the rest of the episode.

While that is okay with Jeffster and Big Mike, since they work best that way(comic relief).

The Awesomes need more. If not for Ellie showing her genius skills(which is nice, having it a Bartowski family trait), her only purpose would be to be a buzzkill for Chuck. Him hiding his CIA job from her has been a ongoing plot from the start. Having her tossed into it(maybe becoming mission control with Captain Awesome as stay-at-home babydaddy), would be a nice change of pace.

Nothing about Jeff and Lester is okay. The show would be 10x better with them gone.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Gandalf_the_CrazedGandalf_the_Crazed Vigilo ConfidoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    jclast wrote: »
    You have to admit thought that they need a reason to give the supporting cast something to do. As it is, most of the suporting cast outside of team Bartowski just wander in every other episode with some meandering subplot that has no relation to the rest of the episode.

While that is okay with Jeffster and Big Mike, since they work best that way(comic relief).

The Awesomes need more. If not for Ellie showing her genius skills(which is nice, having it a Bartowski family trait), her only purpose would be to be a buzzkill for Chuck. Him hiding his CIA job from her has been a ongoing plot from the start. Having her tossed into it(maybe becoming mission control with Captain Awesome as stay-at-home babydaddy), would be a nice change of pace.

Nothing about Jeff and Lester is okay. The show would be 10x better with them gone.

So that's what being completely wrong looks like. Fascinating.

;-)

Gandalf_the_Crazed on
    PEUsig_zps56da03ec.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Eh, I'm moving towards agreeing with that position. I think we either need Chuck in the Buy More or the Buy More to be removed (though I'd be bummed for the actors).

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Richy wrote: »
    so why build the new base inside the other one??
    2u3uyb5.jpg

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Bleh, two weeks of no new Chuck. Nothing at all this week, and then April 5 is Chuck vs. First Class from last season. Because we all wanted to be reminded of Shaw again, right?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    And Hannah! They picked possibly the second worst repeat ever, good job guys.

And Jeff and Lester aren't around enough to make any overall difference, really. If you don't like them they're there and gone quick enough, if you do it's a bright spot briefly.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Sometimes when they pick a (seemingly) random episode as filler, they actually have some reasoning behind the episode they picked. Now. I'm not saying the executives of Chuck did this. But I would not be surprised if the First Class episode wasn't chosen because we'll be seeing Steve Austin again. Or Kristin Kreuk.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, we've already seen Austin again. But I'd rather see him a 3rd time over Hannah come to think of it. So hopefully it's him or both.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Or it was a pretty well rated episode and NBC is being NBC.

Especially considering I know the upcoming returning guest star...
    It's Dalton!

EDIT:

Oh right, also:
    Gary Cole

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or it was a pretty well rated episode and NBC is being NBC.

Especially considering I know the upcoming returning guest star...
    It's Dalton!

EDIT:

Oh right, also:
    Gary Cole

Double thumbsup :^: :^:

Kronus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    We're back tonight.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Except not here in SE Michigan, because once again WDIV hates Chuck fans. Let's talk about Ford's future!

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    That was a good episode, everyone worked well and it felt like they weren't making a filler episode. Love the Casey/Morgan syncronicities in the beginning.

Really looking forward to next week's episode, because it's Delorean part 2 baby.

edit: and Sarah now drives a Lotus Evora, classy.

TexiKen on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, pretty good episode. "Hot Mama" and "Six Pack", haha. Chuck flipped out without flipping out. Volkoff mostly worked, they could have had a bit more of everyone distrusting him, though. Just the 3 of them off with him in the middle of nowhere was a good setup for Vivian to swoop in, but she could have overpowered a dozen guys instead too.

And even though it sets up more drama, Chuck shouldn't have let Ellie walk away. Hopefully when that comes up again and she starts to walk away he just goes "I'm the intersect.". That should get the ball rolling.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Or "Don't lie to me."

But Chuck is a weenie when it comes to his sister, so it works.

Seeing Alexi get the knife in his back was immensely satisfying.

Dac on
    Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    That episode had like a bajillion things happening in it, which ... I get the sense this one was written, or at least plotted, before the season-extension, and the last few episodes were written after? Because I desperately wanted more of this episode. All 3 plots were pretty darn good and entertaining.

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Dalton is the best.

Now that I've seen it all: I don't think they pulled off Vivian's heel turn all that well, but otherwise this was pretty great. Probably the best since the mid-finale-type thing. I love Dalton as Volkoff so much.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Sadly, looks like we're done in a couple weeks. 1.3 ouch.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    I don't get how fricking Smallville can be on the air for ten years, but Chuck won't last five. Why does NBC continue to churn out awesome shows that nobody watches?

(Though honestly, four years isn't a bad run for a relatively one-note premise, but compared to ten for the shitty Smallville?)

hippofant on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Hippofant's avatar becomes remarkably appropriate. Hopefully the finale will be a fitting send-off.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Smallville is on the CW which has the ratings expectations of FX but on network TV.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    True, but NBC gets the ratings results of FX but on network TV :P

I'll just blindly hold out hope for a final season until the actors get other gigs.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    PantsBPantsB Fake Thomas Jefferson Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Loved the Eddard/direwolves reference

PantsB on
    11793-1.png
    day9gosu.png
    QEDMF xbl: PantsB G+
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I like that Chuck didn't spend the whole episode dithering about his relationship with Sarah. More of this please.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    frandelgearslipfrandelgearslip 457670Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    Hippofant's avatar becomes remarkably appropriate. Hopefully the finale will be a fitting send-off.

All indications are they plan to cliffhang the hell out of the finale, which is borderline unforgivable for the shows lifespan and ratings.

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Well, they cliffhanged the hell out of it EVERY finale not counting season 1 because they didn't get the chance to. So it's not really a surprise. Hopefully it's more like a season 2 cliffhanger where it leads to what you can assume is things working out kickass perfectly. Season 2 stopping there would have been criminal, but it ending like that now would be ok.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me, or was Vivian's turn towards the darkside completely... well.. stupid.

"I just want to speak with my father..."
    "Okay, we can do that.."
    "..or maybe not, sorry, I'll keep trying."
    *One evil scheme later*
    "You lied to me! You betrayed me! etc. etc. Also, go fuck yourself Dad, even though the whole reason I feel lied and betrayed to was because I wanted to talk to you and they wouldn't let me."

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Well, they cliffhanged the hell out of it EVERY finale not counting season 1 because they didn't get the chance to. So it's not really a surprise. Hopefully it's more like a season 2 cliffhanger where it leads to what you can assume is things working out kickass perfectly. Season 2 stopping there would have been criminal, but it ending like that now would be ok.

Well yeah an ending like the 2nd or 3rd season would be fine, but I think they are going for something like the finale for the 3rd season of Angel or 1st season of battlestar galactica (just to use some examples of cliffhangers that would not work as a final episode).

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They only had a few months at most to work this up, so yeah, it's rushed. She bounced from one side of the spectrum to other too fast when starting on the evil side would have worked better. But they're trying to parallel her with Chuck and how things could have gone for him. It gives us more Volkoff, though.

Edit: Season 3 is actually 50/50 since it ended with a point blank question dangling and no real payoff. But it's probably impossible to pull off another season 2 finale, so we'll see what happens.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    They only had a few months at most to work this up, so yeah, it's rushed. She bounced from one side of the spectrum to other too fast when starting on the evil side would have worked better. But they're trying to parallel her with Chuck and how things could have gone for him. It gives us more Volkoff, though.

Edit: Season 3 is actually 50/50 since it ended with a point blank question dangling and no real payoff. But it's probably impossible to pull off another season 2 finale, so we'll see what happens.

Re: Season 3, yes but you could ignore the last minute of the episode and have a perfect finale, which is the best we can hope for I think.

Re: Vivian. I never bought her as a parallel to Chuck since the only thing they had in common was daddy issues (and if that were a qualifier then the whole cast of Lost would be a parallel to Chuck). They were both directionless, but for vastly different reasons. Chuck had direction, but took a hit he was not prepared to recover from. Vivian was just directionless in the way every bored rich girl is (see Paris Hilton).

frandelgearslip on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    it's not a perfect parallel and again is suffering from the rush, but I'm pretty sure they were shooting for it. I may be wrong. Her ending bit in the last episode goes with that even more: Agent X is Volkoff's boogy man? Since when? And her killing him will make her invincible? Why? And if Volkoff couldn't do it how could she? I suppose we'll find out, but if this is the last season the answers better be good.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    But it's probably impossible to pull off another season 2 finale, so we'll see what happens.

It almost certainly is. I doubt that Jeffster can ever live up to Mr Roboto, but they're going to keep trying.

Bobble on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Is it just me, or was Vivian's turn towards the darkside completely... well.. stupid.

"I just want to speak with my father..."
    "Okay, we can do that.."
    "..or maybe not, sorry, I'll keep trying."
    *One evil scheme later*
    "You lied to me! You betrayed me! etc. etc. Also, go fuck yourself Dad, even though the whole reason I feel lied and betrayed to was because I wanted to talk to you and they wouldn't let me."

Uh, she is spending all her time with Ray Wise. I'm surprised she's not MORE evil!

hippofant on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Gary Cole AND Angry Sarah?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Real good episode, very nice ending.

Not Delorean good but it handled both the Sarah and Casey plots well.

Spy high five.

TexiKen on