As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Pokemon: The Glorious End of the Dunsparce Uprising

• Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not gonna lie, the next time I go home to get my copies of Ruby and FireRed, I am probably gonna use this to get a Linoone and a Clefable with event moves. If it makes you super uncomfortable then I won't use them against you.

Then again, I might decide it's not worth the effort of replaying FireRed to re-set the Mimic and Seismic Toss tutors.

Thinking about it a bit more, I don't really care too much. If you're going to the effort of getting a gen III pokemon like that, (especially in fire-red where everstones don't work for breeding I think?), not passing any IVs using power items etc, it isn't really a huge deal.

Also if I wanted a specific poke, someone here would probably be able to hook me up.

Oh fuck everstones don't work in those ones?

Nevermind then.

looks like it works in emerald

unintentional on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm not gonna lie, the next time I go home to get my copies of Ruby and FireRed, I am probably gonna use this to get a Linoone and a Clefable with event moves. If it makes you super uncomfortable then I won't use them against you.

Then again, I might decide it's not worth the effort of replaying FireRed to re-set the Mimic and Seismic Toss tutors.

Thinking about it a bit more, I don't really care too much. If you're going to the effort of getting a gen III pokemon like that, (especially in fire-red where everstones don't work for breeding I think?), not passing any IVs using power items etc, it isn't really a huge deal.

Also if I wanted a specific poke, someone here would probably be able to hook me up.

Doing this seriously would be done in Emerald, where manipulating the RNG is supposed to be crazy easy. So you're more likely to run into shiny, perfect IV, correct nature and ability pokemon from there, but now, they can have ANY MOVE IN THE GAME.

Also @ Speed:

I agree with you on Shoddy. I have it installed, because it's nice to test out things before committing to breeding it in game, but dear GOD. I can't even look at the general chat window, bunch of immature racist homophobic children. And your opponents ranged from "might as well be AI" to "complete goddamn prick." No nice people at all the be found. That, and the people on PA rock.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Alright, this water gym idea is complete crap. Makin' a new team.

What's a matter with it?

Torterra.

Torterra is wrong with it. 8-)

Que?

He knew from experience that I had a choice scarfer that could screw up his thing to set up rain dance, so he put a choice scarf on his thing too.

Later in the battle, he brought it out against torterra, presumably trying to scare if off with the threat of ice beam. I called his bluff and rock polished while he rain danced, and since he had a scarf he was forced to switch out, giving me another rock polish to make me faster than his swift swimmers. Then I swept like 3 or 4 of his guys after a long game of back-and-forth prior to that.

That's not exactly what happened but I'm trying to be vague in case he doesn't want stuff being given away.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh fuck everstones don't work in those ones?

Nevermind then.

looks like it works in emerald

Yeah but I don't have emerald, and I don't particularly want to buy it just for this.

Maybe if I can find it for like 10-15 bucks at Gamestop.

Doing this seriously would be done in Emerald, where manipulating the RNG is supposed to be crazy easy. So you're more likely to run into shiny, perfect IV, correct nature and ability pokemon from there, but now, they can have ANY MOVE IN THE GAME.

To be fair, I don't think anyone in these parts would do shit like that.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I would love to fight a ditto that knew actual moves. It wouldn't be a slightly bulkier smeargle, and that's hilarious.

unintentional on
  • Options
    runewordruneword Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Bug

runeword on
    Heart Gold FC: 5156-5158-3701
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thanks for the starters, Runeword.

The Chimchar and Turtwig have perfect attack IVs, by the way.

BugBoy on
  • Options
    runewordruneword Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BugBoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the starters, Runeword.

The Chimchar and Turtwig have perfect attack IVs, by the way.

good to know

runeword on
    Heart Gold FC: 5156-5158-3701
  • Options
    Sir Red of the MantiSir Red of the Manti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What's a matter with it?

Torterra.

Que?

He knew from experience that I had a choice scarfer that could screw up his thing to set up rain dance, so he put a choice scarf on his thing too.

Later in the battle, he brought it out against torterra, presumably trying to scare if off with the threat of ice beam. I called his bluff and rock polished while he rain danced, and since he had a scarf he was forced to switch out, giving me another rock polish to make me faster than his swift swimmers. Then I swept like 3 or 4 of his guys after a long game of back-and-forth prior to that.

That's not exactly what happened but I'm trying to be vague in case he doesn't want stuff being given away.

You put a choice scarf on a 'motherfucker' to ensure a first turn sleep. Since you know that Starmie shakes off status on a switch, you then kept it out to sleep anything else I happen to switch to, which technically maintains sleep clause. And it's that sort of "technically within the rules" douchebaggery that I'm now raising a team of Munkus level badasses to slap harder than the slap monkey I just failed to assassinate.

Speakin' of which, "MonkeyNews" is ready.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Man how is that a technicality. Once Starmie leaves the field you no longer have any sleeping Pokemon, end of story.

And thanks for revealing something I'm trying to keep fairly secretive for now, dude. That was super of you!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

What's a matter with it?

Torterra.

Que?

You put a choice scarf on a X to ensure a first turn sleep. Since you know that Starmie shakes off status on a switch, you then kept it out to sleep anything else I happen to switch to, which technically maintains sleep clause. And it's that sort of "technically within the rules" douchebaggery that I'm now raising a team of Munkus level badasses to slap harder than the slap monkey I just failed to assassinate.

Is there something wrong with using a sleep move in case a pokemon with Natural Cure switches out? I've never seen anyone upset about that. Also, Speed at least asked me to keep X under wraps, not sure if he asked you. I don't know that he's volunteered its identity here yet, though, so that was sort of poor form.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't really care if people know I have a Smeargle, it's the moveset that I'm trying to not tell people about yet. In like a week when almost everyone has fought it I won't care.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

What's a matter with it?

Torterra.

Que?

You put a choice scarf on a X to ensure a first turn sleep. Since you know that Starmie shakes off status on a switch, you then kept it out to sleep anything else I happen to switch to, which technically maintains sleep clause. And it's that sort of "technically within the rules" douchebaggery that I'm now raising a team of Munkus level badasses to slap harder than the slap monkey I just failed to assassinate.

Is there something wrong with using a sleep move in case a pokemon with Natural Cure switches out? I've never seen anyone upset about that. Also, Speed at least asked me to keep X under wraps, not sure if he asked you. I don't know that he's volunteered its identity here yet, though.

The big issue is assuming it has natural cure. If it had illuminate instead due to lazy training or what have you, that breaks sleep clause in two turns.
    Also didn't know it was a secret, sorry bout that.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    kabuki64kabuki64 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    well to be frank I think everyone knows a spore is coming when they see smeargle.

kabuki64 on
    Poké FC: 0516 4736 9808
  • Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't really see anything wrong with that sleep scenario. If the pokemon has natural cure then not being able to sleep it and something else would make the sleep pokemon to have out anyway. If the pokemon can cure itself on a switch, then you should definitely be allowed to sleep what comes out next.

I mean I don't use sleep very often but I've had it done to me and it's never been a concern. Part of running a team with a natural curer is being ready for something else to take the same effect.

e: And yeah if there's illuminate then you have an issue but who the fuck raises out a Starmie with Illuminate

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The big issue is assuming it has natural cure. If it had illuminate instead due to lazy training or what have you, that breaks sleep clause in two turns.
    Also didn't know it was a secret, sorry bout that.

You're right, the starmie could have illuminate. In which case, I'd simply concede immediately, and Munkus can attest I've done just that.

silence1186 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    T4CT wrote: »
    I don't really see anything wrong with that sleep scenario. If the pokemon has natural cure then not being able to sleep it and something else would make the sleep pokemon to have out anyway. If the pokemon can cure itself on a switch, then you should definitely be allowed to sleep what comes out next.

I mean I don't use sleep very often but I've had it done to me and it's never been a concern. Part of running a team with a natural curer is being ready for something else to take the same effect.

Part of my problem was that it'd sleep the Starmie, I'd be forced to switch out to some motherfucker I'd hope I'd never have to use, then switch back to Starmie only to be sleeped again instead of what should be a forced switch out.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Part of my problem was that it'd sleep the Starmie, I'd be forced to switch out to some motherfucker I'd hope I'd never have to use, then switch back to Starmie only to be sleeped again instead of what should be a forced switch out.

wait wait wait

if he sleeps Starmie

you switch, he sleeps that, you put starmie back out

unless your second pokemon had natural cure he can't sleep it so I'm confused as to what exactly the issue here would be.

or he just killed your second in which case yes that sucks but that's part of what makes battling real people who think about what they're doing such a pain in the ass

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You have to look at the flipside, though. If I can't do that to your natural cure guy, then it completely breaks my ability to sleep you, which was obviously a major component of my strategy. Because every time Smeargle hits the field you can just switch to Starmie then switch to something else.

You engineered two shinies with a perfect HP Fighting just to beat my Ambipom; I think it's safe to assume you spent the time to make sure your Starmie had Natural Cure. Especially since it was shiny, which means it was either caught that way and just happened to have the right nature and usable IVs (the odds of which are pretty dang staggering), or you RNG'd it, in which case of course it has Natural Cure.

Still, if you turned out to not have natural cure, I'd have either set something up to let you kill Smeargle for free or just conceded outright.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

wait wait wait

if he sleeps Starmie

unless your second pokemon had natural cure he can't sleep it so I'm confused as to what exactly the issue here would be.

or he just killed your second in which case yes that sucks but that's part of what makes battling real people who think about what they're doing such a pain in the ass

Pretty sure I had two dudes sleeping at once at some point. Either way, new team is about ready as I feel like reviving a good gimmick.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    BugBoyBugBoy boy.EXE has stopped functioning. only bugs remainRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You made a new team that fast?

BugBoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

wait wait wait

if he sleeps Starmie

Pretty sure I had two dudes sleeping at once at some point. Either way, new team is about ready as I feel like reviving a good gimmick.

I never broke Sleep Clause. Starmie isn't asleep after you call him back; you can see that his Pokeball's not red on your team status bar even.

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well two dudes sleeping together is always a cause for controversy

I should have my final team done by the end of the week. My awesome team of pokemon I just enjoy.

T4CT on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    what if I swap our my natural cure starmie, send in my natural cure roserade and use rest?????

unintentional on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm beginning my Pokejourney in this new Pokeworld, and having a Caterpie follow me is god damn enjoyable.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    edited April 2010

wait wait wait

if he sleeps Starmie

I never broke Sleep Clause. Starmie isn't asleep after you call him back; you can see that his Pokeball's not red on your team status bar even.

Well then congrads on your water badge. Now beat Munkus so our rematch can be epic as hell.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would love to fight a ditto that knew actual moves. It wouldn't be a slightly bulkier smeargle, and that's hilarious.

the thing is though is that ditto gets basically a free choice scarf in quick powder

so that combined with any move in the game could be a pretty big nuisance if not an actual threat

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's not really new, just an old lead with new moves and a three year old glass cannon.
    And it's now ready for testing. Who's up?

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's not really new, just an old lead with new moves and a three year old glass cannon.

I'll go up against this team!

kabuki64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    kabuki64 wrote: »

I'll go up against this team!

Hopefully I can work this combo.

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sir Red its like your battling me from some sort of moon internet, sluggish battle!

kabuki64 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sir Red its like your battling me from some sort of moon internet, sluggish battle!

See Manti it's not my fault!

Speed Racer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Moon internet?

Sir Red of the Manti on
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ok I watched the pokemon anime up to the tournament

don't think I can take anymore

not that it's bad or anything

Shabooty on
  • Options
    MarshmallowMarshmallow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You can really only watch so much of it at once.

Did a marathon once and got halfway through the Orange Island stuff before I was like okay, that's good.

Marshmallow on
  • Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, I'm training a Houndour, which I named Rex.

Is that a good nickname, or a horrible one?

Butler For Life #1 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    some of it isn't bad

some of it is really bad

it's a pretty hit or miss show for the first season and a half and then it's just bad.

T4CT on
  • Options
    NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey, the first tournament is pretty enjoyable, especially when Krabby, who was barely in the series up to that point, shows up and evolves and JUST DESTROYS Ash's first opponent.

Nirya on
    t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Options
    ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    the movies are a guilty pleasure, though

Shabooty on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Krabby just destroys in general.