As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where to find car service manuals

solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
I'm looking for the service manual for a ES350 Lexus. So far I can't find anything but spam and ebay auctions for a copy of the cd.

Arn't these supposed to be free? I could only find the owner's manual on lexus.com

Any idea where to download or buy these?

solsovly on

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »

I searched there :(. I can only find the owner's manuals. I'm looking for the service manual.

solsovly on
  • Options
    LaterationLateration Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Depending on the quality of your library system they may have a substantial collection or database of them.

Lateration on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lateration wrote: »
    Depending on the quality of your library system they may have a substantial collection or database of them.

No dice, I searched some local libraries and they don't have that model.

Thanks though :(

solsovly on
  • Options
    wmelonwmelon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Service manuals are most definitely not free. The law only requires that the manufacturers make it available for independent mechanics/ owners. If you can find it inexpensively through ebay, I'd suggest going with that, as it will undoubtedly be expensive going through the dealer.

wmelon on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're doing a lot of work on the vehicle, I can't suggest AllDataDIY.com enough. They have all the major service manuals, wiring diagrams, troubleshooting guides - everything you need if you're working on a vehicle. It's based off of yearly subscriptions, so even though it's pretty cheap (~$15 IIRC) you don't keep it forever, which may or may not be an issue. Considering how it's let me save hundreds of dollars on mechanics, I'd say the price is more than fair though.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thanks Cycophant. I'll try that site.

solsovly on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Helm.com works as well.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've always been a big fan of buying them from the dealership themselves. You'd think that the car manufacturers would know how to fix their own vehicles.
    It's a pretty penny, but easily worth it. In none of the other aftermarket manuals have I found enough information. They always squelch bits and pieces that end up being crucial. Missing Wiring diagrams, or incomplete wiring/vacuum diagrams, to give an example.

L Ron Howard on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I work at a dealership. We order ours from Helm.com.

If they have them in stock, buy them there.

If not they will be getting them from helm, so just order them yourself to avoid more markup.

We do 40% here.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    TavataarTavataar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Also www.haynes.com sells them for like $20 or so. You put in your year/make/model.

Tavataar on
    -Tavataar
  • Options
    L Ron HowardL Ron Howard The duck MinnesotaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »
    I work at a dealership. We order ours from Helm.com.

If they have them in stock, buy them there.

If not they will be getting them from helm, so just order them yourself to avoid more markup.

We do 40% here.

GDI.

L Ron Howard on