As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blakfeld's Super Rockin' Sketchbook

blakfeldblakfeld Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Artist's Corner
I used to draw all the time growing up, but after I graduated high school, I just stopped, and started focusing on myself as a musician, but I've discovered that I just don't find it as fulfilling as art, so I've been trying to break my way back in for the past few weeks.

I'd like to post up some of my sketches and doodles here and get some pointed direction on how to improve, because I feel I do what I do pretty okay, but I need to branch out.

This is a self-portrait for use on my website:
MeWebsite

Some doodles from earlier today, a random profile, and a contour drawing of my coffee table leg ( I never understood those in school, but today it finally occured to me what purpose it serves)
Sketches4-11-10

My room-mate and this chick in a video I was watching for class
Sketches4-9-10

So thats what I've got currently, I've gotten back into the swing of things, but the problem is the things you see here is all I can really do. My goals is primarily to really start to draw what I see, instead of just drawing what I want to see, which after lurking through these forums I'm thinking is probably my biggest issue. PLEAE ADVICE ME OH GREAT PA'ERS!

blakfeld on

• Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There's going to be lots of comments telling you to buy the 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' book so let's clear that out of the way right now. I've never read it myself, but it seems pretty popular here.

At the moment you need to develop the ability to see (and ultimately shape) 3D objects on a page. It's helped along by drawing shapes, taking into account 'planes' and 'perspective'. Also try using real life objects as reference, focusing less on the details and more on the broad strokes.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    There's going to be lots of comments telling you to buy the 'Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain' book so let's clear that out of the way right now. I've never read it myself, but it seems pretty popular here.

At the moment you need to develop the ability to see (and ultimately shape) 3D objects on a page. It's helped along by drawing shapes, taking into account 'planes' and 'perspective'. Also try using real life objects as reference, focusing less on the details and more on the broad strokes.

Awesome, it looks like that book is only 2 bucks used on Amazon, I get paid Friday, so I'll go ahead and order it.

As far as seeing 3d objects on a page, any suggested exercises, or should I just start drawing whatever is around?

blakfeld on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah just simple objects, balls and cups, that sort of thing.

Also check out the free Loomis books which is what really helped me. Particularly the head excercises in the 'Drawing Hands and Head' book. They help you out with how to construct complex objects by breaking it up into simpler shapes.

Mustang on
  • Options
    Stupid Mr Whoopsie NameStupid Mr Whoopsie Name Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't waste your time with Betty "Ironsides" Edwards' book. Why? Just because...
    But if you insist, here's an explanation far better than what I could muster at the moment...

Stupid Mr Whoopsie Name on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I wouldn't waste your time with Betty "Ironsides" Edwards' book. Why? Just because...
    But if you insist, here's an explanation far better than what I could muster at the moment...

Fair enough, I think I'm going to plow through the Loomis stuff and check out some of the tutorials on Drawspaces.

Edit:

Wow, these Loomis books are pretty in-depth, any suggestions on a starting place?

blakfeld on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    To be honest, I've never read many of the words in them, I've just read a few paragraphs here and there and copied the drawings into a sketch book.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh also I forgot to give you these.
    This dude teaches Cake, Bacon and Loomdum at Watts (all three draw like sonsofbitches)
    They are really great tutorials that are short, concise and make good sense.

Head 1
    Head 1.5
    Head 2
    Perspective
    Forms and Edges
    Form and Lighting

Actually I should read back over a few of these.

Mustang on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Loomis was the Carl Sagan of the art world.

MKR on