As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    That costume is a bit Parallax like, only of course looks like it has every color power there.

• Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    edited September 2011
    GL_Cv4_R1-1.jpg
    green lantern 4 cover

Magna Inferno on
    ultimates-1.png
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Another cover of Sinestro fighting something from the Sinestro Corps? Don't get me wrong, it looks good, but some variety wouldn't hurt.

• RansRans Registered User regular
    yeah that's pretty boring, but i'm hoping this will be the end of the sinestro vs sinestro corps arc and Johns is back to his 4-issue arcs that he did off and on in GL vol 4. 4-issue arcs are just right for Johns' style, IMO.

• Magna InfernoMagna Inferno Registered User regular
    Green Lantern was a great story, Hal is a pretty decent character when he doesn't have a ring, Carol's reaction to being asked to cosign a car for Hal was awesome.

ultimates-1.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Green Lantern was a really good start, and I can tell Johns put more effort into continuing his GL story than the Justice League reboot, just in terms of pacing and GL #1 being a complete story. You've got Sinestro and Hal's stuff coming together in a way that makes you want to pick up the second issue, with some lovely art. I do like that Mahnke didn't really make Hal or Carol younger than how he's already drawn them.

Green Lantern #1

Agreed, definitely a good start. Hal wasn't totally obnoxious but he is in a bad spot in his life. Hopefully Johns can use that to make the character grow into someone likeable. Sinestro as GL is working for me and his motivation for turning against the Sinestro Corps also works for me. With Sinestro, it is never about anything except for what Sinestro wants. Sinestro is law. His fatal flaw is his total arrogance and self-righteousness and Johns gets that. The Sinestro Corps disobeyed orders and are threatening Korugar. We saw how Sinestro dealt with Mongul when the same situation happened in Blackest Night so this is right in line with that for me.

I was also happy to see no sign of the reboot in GL #1. This could have been GL #68. Past stories referenced directly were War of the Green Lanterns and the Sinestro Corps War, with other clear connections being made with Carol talking about her Star Sapphire ring and Ganthet's costume and antagonism with the Guardians. Didn't spot a single retcon.

Red Lanterns #1

Wasn't a bad start but I don't know how I feel about the whole thing. I will probably continue to buy it out of loyalty to the Lantern brand, but nothing truly grabbed me in this issue. One good thing was there was a hint that Atrocitus could become much more complex and a more interesting character, which would be nice. There also seems to be set up for changing the way the Red Lanterns function (ie making them less just mindless soldiers), which I think is needed if this book is going to build a believable cast of supporting characters.

• TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Doug's linework in Green Lantern #1 was so... clean. I mean, I think it looked beautiful. But I think Mahnke is at his best when he is messier like in Seven Soldiers: Frankenstein.

I really liked GLC #1, it's basically Tomasi going back to the GLC days, and balancing Guy and John's screentime. They changed Oa to look like the movie, but it makes Oa look more backwater than it did during Blackest Night or even during Infinite Crisis, a world that was so advanced. Add to it there was a scene with John basically doing his own version of social justice that just seemed trite and dumb just in terms of the DCU and building codes in general, but those were the only flaws in the story.

Guy trying to get a job was fun, as was the idea he cannonballs into Oa on teleport. Pasarin's art was just like his Emerald Warrior issues.

I thought Green Lantern was better (for the first time in a long time), but this felt like Batman and Robin compared to Batman, how you've got two books that lightly touch on some connecting plots.

I actually really liked Tomasi's take on Stewart with the little bit of social justice. Tomasi put more emphasis on his architect side than his marine side, and it felt more familiar to how John used to be pre-Johns. Hopefully Tomasi continues with this take on Stewart.

And the only reboot change I saw was the change to the way Oa looks and if you wanted to explain that away as the new look after it's recovered from the destruction of Blackest Night + War of the Green Lanterns, you could. I don't mind it.

Pasarin's colorist seems to be better if they are different from Emerald Warriors. His art popped more than it normally does. He's definitely getting better.

Overall I liked the issue. Thought it was meatier and all around better than GL #1.

I liked the architect emphasis, but the context of the scene felt wrong.
    The builders asked John if he could design the building on budget and within existing building codes (which are probably already more stringent than ours because of a meta presence), he said yes, and then oh by the way you need to spend all this other money on reenforcing for future battles, and because you won't do so I'm going to scare you into doing so because I have a ring that will do anything. Oh and by the way you bribed city officials. It felt like John was acting as both some crusader and a shyster at the same time, and as though Tomasi knew John probably wouldn't win the argument just going by existing building codes so he had to throw in the corruption thing.

It just didn't feel right, and John almost felt like a bully. Maybe if Guy was there to slap him upside the head it would have balanced the scene out, I don't know.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    that sounds

horrible

i mean, i wanted emphasis on his architectural background but jeez

well i didn't say i thought it was executed well or particularly nuanced, but it was a step in the right direction beyond the "stoic marine" characterization he's been given for the last 6 or so years.

• AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    yes

that is true

I think the last time I saw John doing architect stuff for real was Final Crisis, and that was only for a panel or two. I didn't read all of Bedard's run so I don't know if he did anything with it there.

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    I also liked the explanation of how the space sectors work.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    So judging from this image:
    IMG_00281.jpg
    Parallax did happen?

How much has change is questionable, especially with all the
    dead GL's there besides the Guardians, originally it was just the Guardians bodies on OA, unless you count a certain other GL who Hal kinda blew the flesh off

My way crazy OCD annotations for Green Lantern: New Guardians #1. While GL, GLC, and RL had zero continuity changes, GLNG shows some signs of reboot, but nothing that significantly detracts from the story or Kyle as a character. Now some of this may be actual DCnU reboot changes and some might just be artistic license but I'll note them all. I care so much about this because Kyle becoming GL got me into comics so this my thing right here. And I have to write this down somewhere.
    Page 1: In the original Emerald Twilight the Central Power Battery was destroyed after Hal absorbed all of the power (and Parallax and (probably) Ion). In GLNG #1 the CPB is still there although clearly dark and without power. There are a bunch of GL corpses littering Oa which is a change from what was shown in ET but not a change from what has been shown in numerous ET-flashbacks pre-reboot, so not too strange. Also, the Guardians are all wearing their post-Rebirth costumes instead of the traditional all-red costumes.

Page 2: Ganthet makes reference to brothers and sisters. This is a continuity change as they were all male until Kyle brought the Guardians back during his first stint as Ion and had some of them as female. This retcon was made before, however, when Johns/Reis did Secret Origin and Reis drew some of the Guardians as female.

Page 3-4: This tweaks Kyle's origin somewhat. Originally he got the ring in Los Angeles and not New York City. He moved to NYC shortly after. This is a common mistake though, Judd Winick made it all the time during his run but it could be the new continuity. Also adjusted his bar antics a bit and took out his alcoholic friend Tyler, but that barely matters. No mention of Alex either way.

Page 5-7: Kyle's encounter with Ganthet is tweaked. Now Ganthet spends a little bit of time with Kyle telling him about the Corps and the ring. This is likely because Alan Scott has been retconned out. Alan originally told Kyle about the history of the Corps so Kyle needs to be brought up to speed in another way. Not a big deal either, the rest of Kyle's history could still play out as normal.

• GankGank Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    So there's a bit of actual news from the NYCC Green Lantern Panel. The full break down is here but a few highlights:

Larfleeze: Geoff Johns stated that while he wanted to try to put the character on lock, he will be in Bedard's Green Lantern: New Guardians, and that when he returns to Green Lantern the readers will finally be able to learn the Orange Lantern oath.

Kyle Rayner: When asked how long Kyle Rayner had been a Green Lantern in the new universe, Bedard said two years.

Crossover: Johns stated that there was a new crossover between the Lantern titles coming up, and while they wanted to dial things back to focus on characters and interaction with the beginning of the New 52, there will be a Green Lantern event coming.

Brightest Day: Johns stated he put a lot of these plot points on the backburner for the New 52, but that in Green Lantern #3 readers will start getting hints on many of the plot points that have been dropped since, such as the location of the white ring and the identity of the first Green Lantern.

Also:
    A fan dressed as Atrocitus asked the panelists, in a very deep voice, if they would sign his prop Dex-Starr.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    Man, I don't want to have to pick up Red Lanterns.

Damnit, DC. Isn't 30/52 enough?

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    no

no they must have all of your dollars

huntresssig.jpg
  • Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Man, I would love a Sinestro solo comic. He's a far more interesting Green Lantern than Hal. ;P

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    Gank wrote:
    Also:
    A fan dressed as Atrocitus asked the panelists, in a very deep voice, if they would sign his prop Dex-Starr.

Pics or get the goose out

• GankGank Registered User regular
    It's all from the article bra, I'm stuck in Australia. No NYCC for me.

galactussig-1.jpg
    Tomasi also said he won't be returning to the Sodam Yat sub-plot anytime soon. I'm interested in the next Lantern crossover, but I'm hoping it is something other than a "War" concept. Probably it will be a summer 2012 thing.

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    That's a shame, I liked Sodam Yat, plus the thing he sort of had with Arivia

Oh well, can't win 'em all

• mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    my brother is at NYCC and he does love GL, so he might've been there

camo_sig.png
    edited October 2011
    a few thoughts about GL #2
    I don't like the way Mahnke draws Jim Lee's updated Hal Jordan costume. I don't much like the new shoulders when Lee draws them, but they look terrible when Mahnke draws them. I'm willing to bet Mahnke starts to downplay them until the point where they just don't exist anymore, much like how other artists streamlined Lee's 2nd Kyle GL costume until it was less busy.

I'm usually pretty critical of Johns' writing style, but I think he's nailing it with the new GL series. His Sinestro has always been the strongest character in his GL writing and Johns is making him really interesting. I also think it's really clever how Johns has taken Hal and Sinestro back to their roots without having to do a reboot and a series of retcons. We're basically getting a continuation of the best parts of the GL movie and the best parts of Secret Origin without taking either character back to square one and without the set up feeling forced. It's great to have a good main GL series again, as the last series was pretty weak with the exception of the Sinestro Corps War. (Not saying I haven't loved the last 5 - 6 years, I have, but out of all the GL series, the main series was always the weakest despite being the "most important.")

Rans on
    Solar wrote:
    That's a shame, I liked Sodam Yat, plus the thing he sort of had with Arivia

Oh well, can't win 'em all

I ain't done nothing with no Sodam Yat!

huntresssig.jpg
  • JaythreefJaythreef Registered User regular
    Oh, but you have.

And Solar liked it.

Sorry that's Arisia

My mistake!

I dunno if I trust space dragons calling me an intergalactic hussy then calling take backs. Something about that sounds mighty suspicious.

huntresssig.jpg
    Suspicion would be my middle name, if it wasn't John.

Johns? Are you writing me into your next arc, Geoff? Has this whole GL War thing been a multi-year plot to slander my name? I'm calling my lawyer.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2011
    Go ahead! Call him! You can't prove anything!

Anyway John (Jonathan actually though I hate that) is my middle name, and there's no "s" at the end.

Solar on
    Yes I know you aren't our emerald lord and master, just our space dragon lord and master.

huntresssig.jpg
    edited October 2011
    Well I'm glad that I know that you know that I am your space dragon lord and master and not Geoff Johns.

Solar on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Solar wrote:
    Go ahead! Call him! You can't prove anything!

Anyway John (Jonathan actually though I hate that) is my middle name, and there's no "s" at the end.

if it's Jonathan than shouldn't it be Jon

Probably

I never use it to be honest

Waste of a name

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    wait

WAIT

Your name is AJ

YES