As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Solar wrote:
    Keith wrote:
    Antimatter wrote: »
    Keith wrote:
    that's racist

that's gay

that's homophobic

That's black

that's racist

Damn

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Don't ever change, you guys.

H9f4bVe.png
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote:
    The issue had better moments than actual story like everything Sinestro says (could care less about the Guardians and their sure to fail plan), but it's messing with GL stories again. Not even old stuff, recent stuff we were told wasn't going to change.
    The TV reporter should know who Sinestro is, he started a war a while back, and was around to fight zombies as well as just chilling on earth for a few months.

And wouldn't Carol know Pieface's voice if she heard it?

The Sinestro one I guess I can get since the costume is different. Whatever. The Carol / Tom interaction was definitely movie-esque, especially since Tom is supposed to be a partner in Ferris Air now.

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    I know I posted this in the DCnU thread, but I really want them to give Guy this costume or something similar

r3oA3.png

It makes perfect sense for Guy and will be just as outdated as his current one is soon enough

• herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    What's wrong with the bitchin jacket?

steam_sig-400.png
    herojoe wrote:

It's not really that bitchin' to be honest

• GankGank Registered User regular
    Keith wrote:
    I know I posted this in the DCnU thread, but I really want them to give Guy this costume or something similar

r3oA3.png

Word. Noticed that on Young Justice during a marathon the other day, suits him down to the ground.

galactussig-1.jpg
  • herojoeherojoe IndianapolisRegistered User regular
    Solar wrote:
    herojoe wrote:

It's not really that bitchin' to be honest

How dare you.

I will not stand for the Anti-Jacket propaganda that DC is propagating!!

steam_sig-400.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    THE BELT IS POOR TOO HEROJOE

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    Guy's biker look was great, still is. The bowl cut is ripe for ridicule, but no way the costume is. Go pick on Hal and John for being boring squares.

And I like that Young Justice look, especially for what looks to be a younger Guy. If he had Gardner on the back like a football jersey that would make it better.

edited November 2011
    It's a green jacket with a white collar. It looks terrible

He should have the look he has in YJ, but like Tex says with his name on it so that the bad guys know who kicked their ass

Incidentally are the scans of Guy Gardner getting eaten by a space snake while shouting about how when he get's out of here he is going to be so pissed and beat the shit out of everyone on here. Because I loved it when that happened. I loved it so much.

Solar on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    Leather jacket and cowboy boots Guy Gardner is seriously my favorite.

It could do with some tweaks to modernize it, but that casual sensibility always struck me as very appropriate for the character. As did the stolen yellow power ring, actually.

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    I always considered Guy Gardner's terrible fashion sense and haircut to be a part of his character.

I always considered Guy Gardner's terrible fashion sense and haircut to be a part of his character.

True. His biker jacket was dated when he became a green lantern, as was the bowl cut going a few years into the 90's, and it clearly said from a design standpoint "don't take me seriously" when compared to the other heroes. The flaw in this was that Hal Jordan was just so boring that it never made Guy come across as a bad hero, and then when you had a character who stood up to Batman and commented on Ice's thigh cheese you go "dude's a jerk, but I like him."

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    If superheroes had a prom, Guy Gardner would show up in a powder blue tuxedo.

If superheroes had a prom, Guy Gardner would show up in a powder blue tuxedo.

Oh yeah definitely

But if you said anything he'd kick your ass

GLC #3 was good, though Tomasi might want to chill out on the red shirt lanterns biting it (well, that's what is certainly implied by issue's end). And I guess we'll have to wait for confirmation, but I take it Porter is the same species that the Indigo second in command guy was.

Geraldo Borges does a very good job mimicking Pasarin's art, to the point you don't even notice. Keep these two on the book and you've got a nice tandem going.

GLNG#3 was another improvement, IMO. Kyle was not in the issue much, but the other color corps lanterns beginning to work together rang true to me. I had two issues with the art, also, one was that sometimes the guardians were drawn with green lantern rings, which was weird. The other was that Kyle looked like a very old man in a number of panels. I think the art will even out next issue when it goes back to just one artist.
    larfleeze's entrance at the end was perfect

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    uncoloured cover to GL 7, finally getting some answers about the indigos
    gl7.jpg

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    I've been feeling a bit apathetic towards Johns' Green Lantern plot mysteries lately. I'm thinking it's time to let someone else drive the franchise.

• RedDeliciousRedDelicious Registered User regular
    Blasphemy.

While on the one hand Geoff Johns creating all the different corps and actually by doing so changing and advancing the GL status quo and Universe in a way that is almost unseen in modern comics and will likely stay for a long time impresses me.

I am getting a bit tired of his plots now

Can't we have someone else instead

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    I can get that, but on the other hand Green Lantern is currently the best that it was since Sinestro Corps War / pre Blackest Night !

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
    Solar wrote:
    While on the one hand Geoff Johns creating all the different corps and actually by doing so changing and advancing the GL status quo and Universe in a way that is almost unseen in modern comics and will likely stay for a long time impresses me.

I am getting a bit tired of his plots now

Can't we have someone else instead

Yeah i agree with this. Excellent world/universe building, but this current story arc is leaving me cold. Sure there's the fun wrinkle of Sinestro being a "good guy" for the time being, but they're still fighting the damn Sinestro Corps, which they've been doing since, what, 2007? I'm tired of it.

Yeah if you asked me what villains the various Green Lanterns have faced since Johns came on the book it would be the other corps and entities in various forms and that's about it, constantly, for years.

That's actually what got me to stop reading Green Lantern Corps. It was just years of guys with green rings, fighting guys with other rings.

And even when they fought guys who didn't have rings (Mongul II, the Qwardian Weaponeer), those guys eventually obtained rings.

I understand that there's been a real push to turn Green Lantern into a big, cosmic space opera, but seriously, doesn't anyone in space use a laser gun? Aren't there any malcontents that didn't join up with the Color Corps?

Bolphunga to my knowledge hasn't joined up with anyone, he only helped the Corps during Blackest Night.

And in GLC we have willpower ninjas!

edited December 2011
    Bolphunga's a non-threat, though. I mean, his first appearance is all about how he makes a giant ass of himself, and winds up fleeing confrontation, with his tail between his legs.

I mean, it was cool seeing him help the GLC during the big prison break, and I think he's a neat character. But, he's probably never going to be an A-list antagonist.

In my opinion, the Green Lantern franchise has just become too same-y, and I'm not sure why. If you read some of the old Tales of the Green Lantern Corps, or Green Lantern Corps Quarterly, an effort was made to do new and exciting stuff with the premise of the Corps. Whether that meant Mogo, Rot Lop Fan, or even Jack Chance, who had the gimmick of a ring that only worked on the planet Hellhole.

But, the recent creators responsible for Green Lantern Corps, have gone about stamping out all of that stuff, with most of the more diverse and interesting Lanterns killed off.

I mean, I think it's kind of telling that Johns' two non-ringed contribution to the Green Lantern Rogues Gallery, have been two different Supermen.

Munch on
    edited December 2011
    Really Green Lantern needs to fight some guys that can't do exactly what he can with a few variations (colour-coded for your convenience!) and fight someone else. Someone who doesn't threaten the ENTIRE CORPS AND CHANGE THEM ALL FOREVER!!11!!1 but rather is, like, a Space Criminal committing Space Crimes that Kyle or Hal or whoever, being a Space Cop, needs to catch.

I mean for the last few years the GLC has not even been fucking fighting crime, they've been fighting other randoms in space. It must be the greatest time ever to be a Space Criminal (tm), because rather than the GLs coming on down to Ropticon XVII where you are smuggling hydro-crack to the Xaltheen slave-caste population and busting heads, they are scrapping with some crazy winged bint in a nebula light-years away who keeps vomiting napalm on them.

Solar on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    That's why I felt it was kind've refreshing to see that three-eyed villain in Emerald Warriors - he was a serious threat to the Corps without having anything to do with the emotional spectrum. Wouldn't mind seeing more of him and what he's up to with Sodam Yat under his control.
    Rans wrote:
    I had two issues with the art, also, one was that sometimes the guardians were drawn with green lantern rings, which was weird. The other was that Kyle looked like a very old man in a number of panels.

I noticed the Guardians having rings, which was weird - at first I thought I was just seeing Ganthet, whom I guess has reason to still wear a ring, but then it seemed like they all had one. I figured the Kyle looking old thing was just him being drained from wearing the different rings.

H9f4bVe.png
    Really I don't think there are many baddies they could use. Loads of GLs old villains are just unpowered dudes with weapons because DC's old villains are almost always far weaker than the heroes. GL doesn't really have a solid rogue's gallery to dip into past Star Sapphire, Sinestro and Hammond, and of those three two we're bored of, whereas Hammond is an Earth guy.

Despero is a powerful alien right? Get Despero to fight Guy or something.

• HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    I will agree with everything in the last few posts, although I'm for Johns staying as long as he wants since I don't think the book has dropped in quality at all since SCW, and even though it does feel kind of samey and rehashed now, I'm sure if he left there's probably maybe a 50% chance at best of him being replaced by a writer worth their salt.

At the same time, I do wish the side books would find more of a sweet spot between the same old Johnsian world building (Tomasi's GLC run, New Guardians) and the overly pointless, disconnected one-off threats and adventures that feel like they're not adding anything at all to the narrative (the current GLC arc so far, the last couple Emerald Warrior issues, parts of Bedard's GLC run, and possibly Red Lanterns).

I want one of the spin-off books to be allowed to establish its own lasting mythology and characters and threats and overarching storylines, instead of either feeding into the Johns world or setting up new threats and then forgetting them or writing them off at the end of the story.

I think you got part of the problem there Hadji, who the hell would replace him? I feel that DC (and I say this a lot but it's true) has a real lack of good talent in their stable of writers compared to Marvel right now, and it really shows in the quality of the books they are putting out. The best books of the relaunch? All written by Morrison, Snyder, Lemire and arguably Johns. Everything else is pretty much acceptable or actually bad. Simone would be on that list except the quality of her work has dropped like a stone recently.

Compare that to Marvel who have Gillen, Aaron, Remender, Bendis, Fraction, Brubaker, Hickman, Parker, Van Lente, Pak, Gage, Slott, Waid and more, all writing great books. In fact, I'd go as far as to say that currently, the average writer at Marvel is as good as DC's best, excepting Morrison, and that they don't really put out a bad book. If you said to me now, "give me a book from Marvel that is as bad as Hawkman, Firestorm or Green Arrow (just to give examples)," then I really wouldn't know what to get you.

And that's why, thinking about it, DC need to keep Johns on Green Lantern. Because they have no-one else to write it.

I'd like to see GLC return to its roots from the 80s back-ups and explore weird situations with weird Lanterns. Gardner and Stewart could still be the focus, but have them do things other than make big machine guns and shoot stuff all the time. Explore complex political situations on weird planets where the Lanterns have to be as smart as they are powerful. Say something with a broader meaning. There are two Lanterns to a sector now - explore sector partners that are torn between allegiance to the Corps and loyalty to their home planets that are headed to war. Something other than the Color Corps or another universe-shattering secret of the Guardians.

• WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    GLC vs GotG/Annihilators! ( Would never happen, but fun to think about heh)
    (Kilowog vs Cosmo!)

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    Cosmo Corps would defeat everything. Is beink good cops, da?

Rans wrote:
    I'd like to see GLC return to its roots from the 80s back-ups and explore weird situations with weird Lanterns. Gardner and Stewart could still be the focus, but have them do things other than make big machine guns and shoot stuff all the time. Explore complex political situations on weird planets where the Lanterns have to be as smart as they are powerful. Say something with a broader meaning. There are two Lanterns to a sector now - explore sector partners that are torn between allegiance to the Corps and loyalty to their home planets that are headed to war. Something other than the Color Corps or another universe-shattering secret of the Guardians.

Yeah, this is what I would like to see as well. Those are the stories that first got me excited about GL to begin with, when I would hear about them or see screencaps of them online years ago, or buy some of the newer reprints of them.

Solar wrote:
    GL doesn't really have a solid rogue's gallery to dip into past Star Sapphire, Sinestro and Hammond, and of those three two we're bored of, whereas Hammond is an Earth guy.

There's another dangling plot thread begging to be addressed. Last time we saw Hammond he was the host to the Ophidian. Then Ophidian shows up, sans-host, a few issues later.

H9f4bVe.png
    And it seems like Johns has had something in mind for Evil Star since GL #4 and has only touched on it briefly here or there. But that subplot is barely even at a simmer so who knows.

http://www.newsarama.com/php/multimedia/album.php?aid=45148

There's a preview of GLC #4. What happened to Tomasi, and to this book? Why does it have to be so awful now?
    Within 5 pages another Lantern dies gruesomely. And for no reason at all other than to make the villains look bad-ass again. This whole story is posturing around these super generic mary sue villains, and I hate it sooo much.

What's that Lanterns name? I don't think he's the usual redshirt, I swear I've seen him and his vest around a bunch.