As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Green Lantern: DCnU-style

• UltimateInfernoUltimateInferno Registered User regular
    Tairu wrote: »
    Man,
    I hope the Indigos reform or something, also I don't hope this "trend" of Johns killing Lantern Corps doest continue.

Johns is just taking everyone's criticisms and working with them
    Hal Jordan is a boring silver age throwback with no personality? Now he's a douche. Nobody likes Aquaman? Well now thats integral to the plot. Too many stories revolving around the colored corps? Well, they have to go now don't they.
    The lantern corps thing seems more like they're my toys and I'm going to take them with me!

"Ride or Die?" asked Goku

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Eh, I doubt it
    The Red Lanterns have their own series right now and the other Corps are showing up in the Animated Series

CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    The Red Lanterns have their own series right now

Right, wherein...
    Their central power battery is rotten with poison and they are all dying.

I'm sure they'll pull through, though. I'm hoping this might be a chance to reinvent them as closer to their TV counterparts, which I find more interesting.

We do seem to be losing a lot of the Corps, but their central characters are hanging around. Arkillo, Larfleeze, and Saint Walker aren't likely to go anywhere any time soon.

And the Indigo Tribe are only inactive at the moment - their rings are still there, and will apparently play some real in the upcoming conflict that the Guardians are poised to unleash.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    Also, going to repost this image for a hint of whats going to happen next arc with Black Hand
    vOYpw.jpg

"Ride or Die" confirmed Dominic Toretto, as they took off to find the Dragon Balls in hopes of reviving their friend Sonic
  • RansRans Registered User regular
    I believe it was Bedard in an interview that said the destruction of all the Corps is a subplot running through all of the books on purpose. It's all leading up to the Third Army event.

As for GL #9
    The revelations weren't that revelatory. Most of this had been telegraphed by Johns over the last couple of years. Abin Sur had something to do with the beginning of the Indigo Tribe, the Indigos are made up of brainwashed killers and psychos, the Guardians are the bad guys (although how Abin knew that all those years ago when they were written as benevolent, if a bit arrogant, wise men). None of that was very surprising

• AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Man,
    I hope the Indigos reform or something, also I don't hope this "trend" of Johns killing Lantern Corps doest continue.
    Well, Arkillo got his right back in New Guardians. No reason Munk won't see the same thing happen.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • TairuTairu Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »
    I believe it was Bedard in an interview that said the destruction of all the Corps is a subplot running through all of the books on purpose. It's all leading up to the Third Army event.

As for GL #9
    The revelations weren't that revelatory. Most of this had been telegraphed by Johns over the last couple of years. Abin Sur had something to do with the beginning of the Indigo Tribe, the Indigos are made up of brainwashed killers and psychos, the Guardians are the bad guys (although how Abin knew that all those years ago when they were written as benevolent, if a bit arrogant, wise men). None of that was very surprising

Yeah I picked up most of this stuff back during the War of Green Lanterns but one thing that took me by surprise
    was that the Compassion rings were intended for the Guardians. I liked that.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Also, going to repost this image for a hint of whats going to happen next arc with Black Hand
    vOYpw.jpg

Right on.

I recall way back in the Red Lanterns debut that Atrocitus prophecised that Hal Jordan would turn against the Guardians when they 'took his greatest love from him.' Originally I thought it might be because they were somehow responsible for Carol's death. Then after the War of the Green Lanterns, I thought it might be because they'd taken away his ring.

But if the Star Sapphires are going to get drawn into this upcoming event and Carol is back with them, it might turn out to be because of her death after all.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    vOYpw.jpg

Right on.

I recall way back in the Red Lanterns debut that Atrocitus prophecised that Hal Jordan would turn against the Guardians when they 'took his greatest love from him.' Originally I thought it might be because they were somehow responsible for Carol's death. Then after the War of the Green Lanterns, I thought it might be because they'd taken away his ring.

But if the Star Sapphires are going to get drawn into this upcoming event and Carol is back with them, it might turn out to be because of her death after all.

Could it be the corps? I mean, Hal really loves the GL Corps. So does Guy, John and Kyle.

Yeah, I could see that. Atrocitus' vision showed Hal fighting the Guardians single-handed, but nothing else. At the time he was obviously trying to psych Hal out, claiming that he would go renegade again and implying that it would be against the Corps - Hal's already kind've a renegade right now, but it seems the Guardians are going to be the ones turning against the Corps, not Hal.

There was another vision a short time ago, I think it was right before War of the Green Lanterns kicked off, that showed the Guardians freeing the 'First Lantern' because Hal Jordan had become 'more dangerous than ever with the loss of one of the Lanterns of sector 2814," so that will probably come into play pretty soon as well, and could be related to Atrocitus' prophecy.
    With John being arrested in GLC, I could see him or Guy being the one lost. I don't think we'd lose Kyle since he's got the hold the New Guardians crew together.

I'm assuming 'lost' means 'killed,' presumably as a result of the actions of the Guardians. I can't see what else would make Hal a greater threat to them.

H9f4bVe.png
    Yeah, I could see that. Atrocitus' vision showed Hal fighting the Guardians single-handed, but nothing else. At the time he was obviously trying to psych Hal out, claiming that he would go renegade again and implying that it would be against the Corps - Hal's already kind've a renegade right now, but it seems the Guardians are going to be the ones turning against the Corps, not Hal.

There was another vision a short time ago, I think it was right before War of the Green Lanterns kicked off, that showed the Guardians freeing the 'First Lantern' because Hal Jordan had become 'more dangerous than ever with the loss of one of the Lanterns of sector 2814," so that will probably come into play pretty soon as well, and could be related to Atrocitus' prophecy.
    With John being arrested in GLC, I could see him or Guy being the one lost. I don't think we'd lose Kyle since he's got the hold the New Guardians crew together.

I'm assuming 'lost' means 'killed,' presumably as a result of the actions of the Guardians. I can't see what else would make Hal a greater threat to them.
    I could see loss meaning fired or imprisoned, in John's case. However they'll have to do some work between now and then to establish that something happening to John would affect Hal in such a profound way. They haven't even interacted since the new 52 began.

• ArrynArryn Ask not the Innkeeper For destiny is thy name!Registered User regular
    Rans wrote: »

I could see loss meaning fired or imprisoned, in John's case. However they'll have to do some work between now and then to establish that something happening to John would affect Hal in such a profound way. They haven't even interacted since the new 52 began.
    I wonder if the "new guy" Green Lantern that showed up in the DC FCBD issue gets his ring from whichever of the 2814 guys goes down.

GL_annual_1.jpg

Green Lantern Annual #1 announced
    GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1 reunites the acclaimed creative team of writer Geoff Johns and artist Ethan Van Sciver, who have previously collaborated on such titles as GREEN LANTERN: REBIRTH, GREEN LANTERN: THE SINESTRO CORPS WAR and THE FLASH: REBIRTH.

"Working with Ethan means things change, things are revealed and new characters rise,” Geoff Johns revealed to THE SOURCE. “It's the madness of our collaborations that started all this and will continue it. The universe is a dangerous place. And it's about to get even more so..."

“GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1 not only brings the Black Hand story to a truly unexpected close, but sets up the major events that will heavily impact the entire Green Lantern franchise in a truly devastating way,” continued editor Matt Idelson. “And there's no more appropriate pairing for this book than reuniting Geoff Johns with Ethan Van Sciver, given the Green Lantern history those two have under their belts.”

GREEN LANTERN ANNUAL #1 will span across 48 pages. Look for the issue in stores on August 29th.

Death of Superman tribute cover. Would they really kill Hal again?

Well he's going to be killed at some point according to the image from GL #6. Also I think the idea of Annuals to fill in the 5th week of five week months is pretty great

preview of Blue Beetle #9, the crossover with Green Lantern New Guardians

http://sciencefiction.com/2012/05/10/exclusive-preview-blue-beetle-9/
    looks like the bounty hunters are after Kyle, possibly sent by the Guardians to quietly take him out.

likely means BB#9 is pretty important if you're following GLNG

That GL Annual Cover looks less bloody and more slime-time-livey

I grabbed Blue Beetle this week since it was a tie-in to New Guardians.
    Pretty fun and seemingly a one-shot deal, with a couple of NG related ramifications - Gromulous was destroyed by a bounty hunter that was indeed hired by the Guardians of the Universe to capture Kyle.

So yeah. Their dicketry continues to spread throughout all the GL series.

Also the Reach is attacking the Blue Lantern corps, so there may be more Blue Beetle cross-overs in the future.

There seem to be a lot of tie-ins going around - Red Lanterns are crossing over into Stormwatch, which I'd stopped picking up after #4. I'm still debating whether or not to go back to it for this cross-over, but so far the stuff going on in Red Lanterns isn't interesting enough to get me to pick up another book. I'm hoping we see them start to become more like their animated series counterparts, who have a number of more interesting aspects.
    Their abandoning of Ysmault may be the start of this - trading Ysmault for a mobile fortress like the Shard of the animated series.

H9f4bVe.png
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Looks like the Guardians are being even bigger dicks than ever.
    I'll be interested in seeing if they actually let John die. I'm thinking they'll probably have Guy help him escape. That would probably line up with the Guardians marginalizing him while getting rid of John at the same time. Both actions should cause uproar in the corps which would allow the Guardians to have reason to dissolve them in favour of bringing forth the third army.

This is pretty interesting, The Green Lantern in the FCBD book was originally Hal Jordan

edited May 2012
    This is pretty interesting, The Green Lantern in the FCBD book was originally Hal Jordan

Ha, it's funny to see just how easy it was to manipulate to give us a very different, seemingly important plot point

Tairu on
    Looks like Carol And Lafreeze are joining the New Guardians.

• CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    Time for Kyle to bang Carol.

Cade wrote: »
    Time for Kyle to bang Carol.

Dick Grayson and Kyle Rayner. The DCU's manwhores. The best part is they get emotionally involved in ever relationship.

Seriously, DC...we need a team up book. It'd be Sex in the City with male DC super heroes.

1339434591.jpg

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I mean I am totally down with a Middle Eastern Green Lantern

but

holy shit

CYpGAPn.png
    edited June 2012
    Wha... gun? ...why?

Neat costume though, aside from the mask, which looks goofy with the mouth the way it is. Why not just cover it all completely in green and have it be hard-light talk-through-able material?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    Wha... gun? ...why?

Neat costume though, aside from the mask, which looks goofy with the mouth the way it is. Why not just cover it all completely in green and have it be hard-light talk-through-able material?

Then he'd look like GL Mr. Terrific.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The new, gun-toting Green Lantern's just upholding the tradition first started by Jack Chance, and so I support him.

Hm, full face mask?

rpND0.png

That makes the gun look even more problematic, I think. He looks like he's going to knock over a Space 7-11.

Munch on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    And like, if you're not gonna use the ring, at least use the ring to MAKE the gun?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    I can't look at him without thinking "generic rage".

Also what's up with those circle stars on his uniform if you look at it closely.

• MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    The separate gun would make sense, if the rings still had A) a weakness to yellow or B) a built-in protection against killing.

Either one of those conditions would make having a back-up weapon sensible. But, both no longer apply, as far as I know. Of course, the ring could always run out of juice at an inopportune time, which would also make a gun come in handy. Same reason Abin Sur had a space ship, basically.

Though, you'd think he'd want something with a little more kick than a handgun, if that were the case.

Munch on
  • Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    i like how they have to get the arabic writing in on his forearm so you know that he's arabic

i also like how he's a dude

what are the chances, do you think, that it would even have occurred to them to make a lady green lantern

Crimson King on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I'm going to take a stab and say this new GL is someone from Detroit. A former cop or something. Then again it's Johns, so maybe he will reference a movie again and go Hotel Rwanda and make the guy someone who was helping out refugees in Africa.

Tatooed Man just seems weird when you don't know if his big redemption moment, Final Crisis, is still in play. You've already had a villain get the ring in Sinestro, that would be redundant to do it again.

edit: Vibe is from Detroit right? Maybe this would then connect to the JL stuff since they seemed to be on the same team in that splash page.

TexiKen on
    An actual cop as a GL might make for an interesting story. My favorite part of the first GL animated movie was when Hal and Sinestro basically re-enact Training Day.

Also, with how the past few years of GL have dealt with ancient prophecies and the fate of the universe, it'd be nice to see smaller scale stories about an interstellar beat cop for a change.

Also, having one tattoo doesn't make you the Tattooed Man

Yeah the Tattooed Man guesses are pretty dumb considering that dude's whole thing is that he is covered in them and GL up there has one, fairly low-key tat.

and honestly a GL with a full face-mask would be something I am down with. But making it the first Arab GL and giving him a gun and making it a goofy ski-mask lookin thing just kills it

CYpGAPn.png
    I am assuming that him having a gun is just a fake-out cover
    I mean, I imagine he will have guns at some point
    But I don't think he will use guns as a Green Lantern

Dude was in the FCBD issue and he used constructs

Well yeah but it isn't a good fakeout

all of the good intentions in the world don't make up for giving the first Arab Green Lantern a bunch of psuedo-military/terrorist-y motifs and not realizing oh shit maybe this is a bad idea

CYpGAPn.png
  • OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Munch wrote: »
    The new, gun-toting Green Lantern's just upholding the tradition first started by Jack Chance, and so I support him.

Hm, full face mask?

rpND0.png

That makes the gun look even more problematic, I think. He looks like he's going to knock over a Space 7-11.

I'm sure there's a good explanation for the gun. Hopefully it'll come soon. And I do like that tweaked look better then the actual mask. Makes him seem more mysterious. It also reminds me of masked-up Doctor Strange and his MC2 replacement.

Blankzilla wrote: »
    1339434591.jpg

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I mean I am totally down with a Middle Eastern Green Lantern

but

holy shit

Why is L.L. Cool J's character for NCIS LA a Green Lantern?

GLNG_Cv0_PREVIEWS.jpg

What tha fu-BOOM

H9f4bVe.png