Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
edited September 2010 in PAX Archive
Have you ever wanted to be the very best, like nobody ever was? Is catching them your real test, is training them your cause? You may have conquered Kanto, Johto, Hoenn, and Sinnoh, bested their leaders, and toppled their Elite Four, but all that was just preparing you for the true challenge.

ppl2.png

Click here for the PPL East leader sign up thread!

Click here for the video!
THE HALL OF FAME!!!
(the hall of fame is up on facebook, so you may have to "like" The PAX Pokemon League to see them, even though I set them to public)

THANK YOU ALL SO VERY MUCH!!!
First off is my big list of thank yous:
- Thank you to ALL the gym leaders and Elite four who dontated their time (and money to make badges) to make this league possible.
- Thank you to ALL the participants of the league! You made it a lot of fun for us!
- Thank you to everyone who helped spread the word about the league
- Thank you to everyone putting up with all the little hiccups that we experienced. We now have a much better Idea of what to expect for next time
- Thank you to the folks at The Escapist as well as John Funk for the great article about the League: Click me for the awesome article!

Now, with that out of the way, time to answer the wuestion on everyone elses mind:
Will the Pax Pokemon League be at PAX next year?
YES
Will the Pax Pokemon League be at PAX East?
YES
How do I become a gym leader?
Keep watching our twitter, our facebook page that will be showing up soon, and the forums for big posts. As a guideline, we won't be recruiting gym leaders UNTIL passes go on sale.

THINGS COMING SOON:
Due to the hectic-ness of thelast few days at PAX, I know many people didn't get a chance to challenge the league, so what I'm going to arrange here over the coming weeks is a Friend code swap event. I'll get as many gym leaders and elite four as I can to snag their friend codes, and post mine as well, and you all post yours and we'll all be able to get on to nintendo wifi and battle! I'll also work on setting up a chat room or vent server so we can talk about this in short messages or with voice while we battle.

Once again, THANK YOU ALL for your enthusiasm, and we hope to see you next year (and at East)

Spoiler:

thespiffyneostar on

• GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would the Gym leaders have to have themed teams?

• ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Potentially awesome idea.

When would this take place, though? You can't expect Gym Leaders to stand in one place during the entirety of PAX!

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Would the Gym leaders have to have themed teams?

I would hope so.
    Type themed probably

As for where it would take place, I was thinking figure out designated times where the gym leaders should be in the DS lounge, or otherwise have them marked somehow (some article of clothing unique to them (AKA a badge or something) and you'd have to find them as part of the challenge)
    Similarly the champion (whoever beats the series first) would have some sort of crown that they were to wear, and to challenge the champ, you'd have to go find them.
    in short, still trying to figure that part about finding them out...

• ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That might be a kind of steep requirement - if you want to be a gym leader, raise up an amazing themed team of level 100 pokemon.

It's a cool idea, but that might be a high point of entry.

Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i've only been back into pokémon since last thursday after a break since the original games, but this sounds like a very cool idea, if it worked.

[edit] If you want a water type gym leader, I LOVE water type Pokémon!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    That might be a kind of steep requirement - if you want to be a gym leader, raise up an amazing themed team of level 100 pokemon.

It's a cool idea, but that might be a high point of entry.

not a full team for gym leaders. like... a team of 3-5 pokemon for gym leaders. maybe 4-5 (maybe 6) for E4

just trying to gain some ideas from this for right now.

edited April 2010
    ALSO, if not a gym challenge, there should at least a Pokemon Tournament.

just a thought...

• ColdbrewColdbrew PAX Community DVD Lake Stevens, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This is a pretty awesome concept. I've been thinking about it since I read this post about an hour ago. I'd like to be a part of it, but I'm going to be really busy throughout PAX. Perhaps, if enough people could make it, we could do something similar to this during an event like the Pre-PAX or Post-PAX Dinners as well.

Now I'm just getting too many ideas in my head... Thanks a lot. :P

ForumBanner1_zpsdb9ed925.png
    edited April 2010
    Coldbrew wrote: »
    This is a pretty awesome concept. I've been thinking about it since I read this post about an hour ago. I'd like to be a part of it, but I'm going to be really busy throughout PAX. Perhaps, if enough people could make it, we could do something similar to this during an event like the Pre-PAX or Post-PAX Dinners as well.

Now I'm just getting too many ideas in my head... Thanks a lot. :P

now THAT is a fun idea.
    maybe do it like... right after hours at PAX, but before the concerts start.
    like during that dead time? yeah, that'd be good.

edited April 2010
    Yeah that could work, depending on specific time and location(s) I guess.

I just think it would be fun to setup a spot at the Pre-PAX Dinner where people can come and battle me though. I don't know if I would take a gym leader position though, unless there would be enough of us and challengers would only need to defeat a certain number of leaders to take on the elites.

• BrennaCeDriaBrennaCeDria Registered User
    edited April 2010
    lol, does Nakki know about this yet? :p

• eye-shuheye-shuh Registered User
    edited April 2010
    This actually sounds like fun. XD

Hrm...I wonder if I could get a crazy level 100 Steel type team going in time.

Eye-Shuh - You should have won. period. I'm still in the Omegabat fan club!
  • tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    lol, does Nakki know about this yet? :p
    Now I do =)

A word of caution. Wifi battles (which is what these would be) or notoriously IMPOSSIBLE to finish at PAX. There's so many wireless signals that usually half way through the battle you'll lose the connection and then it's sadfaces all around :( Of the 20ish battles I've attempted at PAX I've only finished one.

I've had a lot of the fun in the past challenging people to Union Room battles, which are 2 on 2 with pokemans <= 30lvls, Yeah it's limited but the DS's handle line of site much better than wifi.

So while I'd LOVE to do this and be a gym master (of course, 'cause my pokeman are badass motherfuckers), I don't think it's feasible while at PAX.

Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
    edited April 2010
    Everyone get a GBC and link cords! ;)

edited April 2010
    To address the issue of linking and battling, we won't be using wi-fi to battle via online if that's what you meant.
    it'll be direct link wireless face to face, in the same room, watching the other person, and hopefully announcing the moves your pokemon are using rather loudly.

• ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll bring my Level 100 Mudkip.
    ^.^

• WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    eye-shuh wrote: »
    Everyone get a GBC and link cords! ;)

Oh, man. I had a team of legitimately trained L:100s in Red. It was something like Charizard, Mewtwo, Gengar, maybe a Dodrio for some reason, and a couple of others.

I need to dig that game out again.

@vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
    edited April 2010
    yeah, with 4 generations of pokemon games, I should probably clarify we're using Diamond/Pearl/Platinum and/or heartgold/soulsilver.
    I'd require that GLs and E4 will use no legendaries, but challengers are not restricted in this way (in my initial thoughs, but I may end up banning deoxys, and mew since they're WAY too good, but all is up for discussion)

I really think this has the potential to be awesome, I hope to see it be awesome. as I've said in my last 10 posts, IDEAS WILL BE MET WITH COOKIES!

• GentlemanneGentlemanne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How about getting the appointed Gym leaders to hand out buttons to winners? Would be something cool for people who win to get.

edited April 2010
    How about getting the appointed Gym leaders to hand out buttons to winners? Would be something cool for people who win to get.

That would be really cool actually.
    then it'd feel like they have real badges, lol

but I know nothing of getting buttons made etc.

edited April 2010
    We could do something like the annual button exchange. Order a small amount of buttons from PureButtons.com with a badge design of some sort on them to hand out. I was thinking of doing this anyway, actually.

If you want to ban anything else, ban Arceus as well. It's not legitimently available yet, people would have to use something like Pokesav to get it, and I wouldn't be opposed to people using something like that to make their own team, as long as it's legit as possible, (stats and known moves per level for every existing pokemon are easy to find online) but Arceus can be really powerful if used right, even at low level. Just a thought though.

edited April 2010
    We could do something like the annual button exchange. Order a small amount of buttons from PureButtons.com with a badge design of some sort on them to hand out. I was thinking of doing this anyway, actually.

If you want to ban anything else, ban Arceus as well. It's not legitimently available yet, people would have to use something like Pokesav to get it, and I wouldn't be opposed to people using something like that to make their own team, as long as it's legit as possible, (stats and known moves per level for every existing pokemon are easy to find online) but Arceus can be really powerful if used right, even at low level. Just a thought though.

both noted.
    it makes sense that arceus would be banned too... a bit too versatile as well.

also, I think arceus is available..... in japan...

edited April 2010
    It probably is in Japan, I'm pretty sure it's available through an event tied to one of the recent movies.

Anyway, I'm still rigorously training a team in Heart Gold right now, rematching a bunch of the gym leaders over and over, as well as fighting the improved elite four until I can take down Red. I'll probably keep training them afterwards and just use them as my team for PAX.

edited April 2010
    Anyway, I'm still rigorously training a team in Heart Gold right now, rematching a bunch of the gym leaders over and over, as well as fighting the improved elite four until I can take down Red. I'll probably keep training them afterwards and just use them as my team for PAX.

would you be interested in being a gym leader, or a challenger?

also, some time this weekend I'll start a new thread with full on information on what I'm going to need (in terms of people to do stuff like, train pokemon teams of all one type as gym leaders etc...) and how others can participate.

do note, if this falls through, there can still be a pokemon tourney set up at some point.

edited April 2010

Probably a leader, though I'm not going to have much time to meet up with people to battle with them, unless we did something like I mentioned before, where challengers wouldn't need to defeat every gym leader in order to fight the elite four. Otherwise, I might just do my own thing at the Pre-PAX Dinner.
    Just dropped in to say that you should use this as your banned Pokemon list
    http://www.smogon.com/dp/tiers/uber

I can agree to that list.

• shadowklawshadowklaw Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Depending on how this works out I'd certainly be interested in participating as a challenger. Would give me a reason to finally push to level my Pokemon to 100.

I'd suggest for when/where to battle, each leader/elite four should have some set times each day to be in certain areas as is reasonable for each ones' schedule with some form of special button identifying them as the person of interest. If for some reason someone can't make those times it should be up to them to find that leader/elite four on their own and hope they're compliant for a battle or to schedule a personal match, such as you might see in those leader rematches. Elite Four should have some requirement for battling each one, so the trainers can say they were good enough to make it to them.

And 'twould be awesome to receive a "gym badge" button for winning.

"Nothing is easier than to denounce the evildoer, nothing is more difficult than to understand him."
    ~ Fyodor Dostoevsky
    edited April 2010

I don't get the "not legitimately available" part. What about the TRU event? (I think that's what it was, back in November.) I don't mind banning on basis of being overpowered, however.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

also, some time this weekend I'll start a new thread with full on information on what I'm going to need (in terms of people to do stuff like, train pokemon teams of all one type as gym leaders etc...) and how others can participate.

do note, if this falls through, there can still be a pokemon tourney set up at some point.

What's wrong with this thread?

• NanakiNanaki Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    O man! I was just saying the other day how much awesomer the world would be if pokemon were real :P I'd totally be up to being a challenger.

Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man!"
  • GamesharkGameshark Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Had to stop lurking and create an account to say I'd be so down for being a gym leader or E4 :)

Keep us posted with your plans!

edited April 2010

I don't get the "not legitimately available" part. What about the TRU event? (I think that's what it was, back in November.) I don't mind banning on basis of being overpowered, however.

I don't really pay much attention to the events, so I may have missed one involving Arceus, I've just heard from multiple sources that it hasn't happened yet. The legit part just means there's no official way of obtaining Arceus. People would need something like pokesav to create it, then load it onto a rom on a flash cart.

Either way, we won't be seeing it, so it's all good.

• ploogleploogle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I can see the Legendaries as being banned, but Wobbuffet and Garchomp? Those are just standard Pokémon, and it's your own fault if your team structure can't handle them.

One thought that I had is that there could be button "Badges", with graphics from the games, and one "Champion" badge that you can get for beating everyone or placing highest.

If you can't handle me at my Worcestershire, you don't deserve me at my Bestershire.
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »
    One thought that I had is that there could be button "Badges", with graphics from the games, and one "Champion" badge that you can get for beating everyone or placing highest.
    <3 this idea. For gym leaders, one of the tiny, super cheap buttons with just a pic of the element would be perfect!

a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited April 2010

I don't really pay much attention to the events, so I may have missed one involving Arceus, I've just heard from multiple sources that it hasn't happened yet. The legit part just means there's no official way of obtaining Arceus. People would need something like pokesav to create it, then load it onto a rom on a flash cart.

Either way, we won't be seeing it, so it's all good.

No, I mean I have Arceus from the event. I had to look it up when I took the picture just now, but it was in November of last year. But yeah, Roar of Time, Spacial Rend, and Shadow Force might only have 5 uses each naturally, but do you really need more? That's just a *bit* overkill for friendly competition like this. :p

Anyway, now that I've actually managed to remove Soul Silver from my DS for five minutes, I suppose I should get to breeding Brian those Kanto starters he asked me for back when we picked up HG/SS. :p

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I will at least take part as a challenger.

• George Fornby GrillGeorge Fornby Grill ...Like Clockwork Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ploogle wrote: »

I can see the Legendaries as being banned, but Wobbuffet and Garchomp? Those are just standard Pokémon, and it's your own fault if your team structure can't handle them.

It's more that Wobbuffet can, with some really easy prediction (is your opponent a special or physical attacker?) get at least one free kill.
    Garchomp has a very high base stat total, which wouldn't be bad if it didn't have Sand Veil, giving it boosted evasion in a sandstorm. Given the overabundance of Hippowdon and Tyranitar, this makes Garchomp more difficult to kill than it should be.

edited April 2010
    I'm going to come up with 2 different ban lists is what I think I'm going to do.

This is going to be designed arround the challengers HAVING A CHANCE and some room for error (but less as they go on) so as I said before NO legendaries (or FEAR rattatas) are allowed by leaders of E4, but Challengers will have a seperate list that will NOT be as extensive as the list provided as the top of this page. I'll put out a list in the 2nd thread I'll be making this weekend with ALL the full info I've come up with, and hopefully that one will get stickied (a man can dream, can't he)

edited April 2010
    Just FYI: You shouldn't create a new thread. Just put all the new info in the OP of this thread. You don't want to make our mods cranky. :)

• NovaFlaresNovaFlares Registered User
    edited April 2010
    i'll be the Flying Gym Leader!!!

Makes sense as i'm studying to become and Air Traffic Controller <_<

This discussion has been closed.