As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Fixed the meetup times to the ones I had meant to post...

thespiffyneostar on
  • Mr PMSMr PMS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Critical Hit on my excitement level!

Mr PMS on
    edited August 2010
    Mr PMS wrote: »
    Critical Hit on my excitement level!

IT'S SUPER EFFECTIVE!

thespiffyneostar on
  • MatevMatev Cero Miedo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Elgaladwen wrote: »
    Oh no! I have to battle our boss? Man, I knew taking over the Goldenrod radio tower to get him to come back was a bad idea.

But seriously, Rocket Badge = coolest badge.

I kind of want to wear my Ariana cosplay to all of the meetups, even though I was only planning to wear it Sunday... Darn my Team Rocket obsession!

And you haven't even seen it yet! 8D

Matev on
    "Go down, kick ass, and set yourselves up as gods, that's our Prime Directive!"
    Hail Hydra
  • ACC3SSACC3SS Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'll be at the Friday meet-up with my Mudkip :D

ACC3SS on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Matev wrote: »
    Oh no! I have to battle our boss? Man, I knew taking over the Goldenrod radio tower to get him to come back was a bad idea.

I kind of want to wear my Ariana cosplay to all of the meetups, even though I was only planning to wear it Sunday... Darn my Team Rocket obsession!

I have! I have!

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

I have! I have!

Hush you.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • LiberaltugboatLiberaltugboat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I have been plucking away at the game, I am about 15 hours in now. I should be at level 50 by the time I leave for PAX. I have pretty much the line up I am going to play with (it is a decent well rounded team), but I will need to find some one at PAX that is willing to meet up early and do some trading so I can evolve a couple of my Pokemon.

Liberaltugboat on
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I should be able to help you out. I have a few that I want to evolve myself. Not on my team, mind you. I just want them to evolve.

mostlyharmless on
  • CosmicJCCosmicJC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Alright, my Trainer Red costume is finished, I've got my poketeam all ready to go;

I am ready to become the very best.

CosmicJC on
    edited August 2010
    CosmicJC wrote: »
    Alright, my Trainer Red costume is finished, I've got my poketeam all ready to go;

At losing.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Heh, I dunno...all it takes is one plucky youth to take down a nation-wide crime syndicate like Team Rocket, and there are thousands of them at PAX. Odds don't seem to be on your side. :P

Lumenadducere on
  • CosmicJCCosmicJC Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

At losing.

Augh! How do I fall for these!?

Curse you Giovanni!!!

CosmicJC on
    edited August 2010

At losing.

Augh! How do I fall for these!?

Curse you Giovanni!!!

Mwahahahaha!

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, Mr. Giovanni. If you let a plucky youth beat you again, we may need to reassess our working relationship.

mostlyharmless on
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, Mr. Giovanni. If you let a plucky youth beat you again, we may need to reassess our working relationship.

I won't be beaten again!!! *composes himself.* That is to say, if they want the pleasure of fighting me and being defeated by me, they'll need to complete my tasks. I don't give just anyone matches against me after all....

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    Heh, I dunno...all it takes is one plucky youth to take down a nation-wide crime syndicate like Team Rocket, and there are thousands of them at PAX. Odds don't seem to be on your side. :P

mostly this.

and even worse, the strapping young lad who brought you down before is now older, and has an even better chance to defeat you.

that sounds sooooo bad out of context...

thespiffyneostar on
  • LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    If PAX East was any indication, my booth will be too busy to take Pokemon battle breaks while I'm on duty.

The entire booth is made of whiteboard, though, so it's a great place to leave announcements and plan things with people who happen by and know to check it.

Losar on
    Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
    edited August 2010
    Losar wrote: »
    If PAX East was any indication, my booth will be too busy to take Pokemon battle breaks while I'm on duty.

The entire booth is made of whiteboard, though, so it's a great place to leave announcements and plan things with people who happen by and know to check it.

noted.

that's one reason why we also hope to keep the meetups going for when the expo halls close, so that booth staffers and enforcers working the floor can participate.

thespiffyneostar on
  • BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Team: Ready
    Cosplay: Ready
    Badges: On their way
    PAX: a week away.

Cant wait.

Prepare to take on the Shrine Gym

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
    edited August 2010
    Will is perfectly ready to battle.

Heleor on
  • LiberaltugboatLiberaltugboat Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Status update...
    My team is Pretty much complete (I have 5 of the 6 I will be using)
    4 of them are already half way there
    I have 6 of the 8 Badges
    about 21 hours in right now (and I got the game last thursday so I am still on pace)
    Tomorrow is thursday!!! I get my Thunderstone... ;)
    I only have 1 pokemon I need to evolve from trading.
    I think it is shaping up really well, and I am loving every moment of the game. Why did I stop following the series after Red and Blue?

Liberaltugboat on
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I dunno guys....according the the Seagal rule, a single person will always win against a mob. Which is how Red took down Team Rocket before. But now, Team Rocket is in the minority, putting that rule in their favor.

lagomorphic on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Okay... so I've never played a Pokémon game before, but reading this thread has got me curious, at least. I know there's no way I could have a team ready for PAX, so being involved this year is out... but I assume there will be something similar at PAX East if this goes well? I'm trying to decide between (1) giving HG or SS a shot (and using the Pokewalker at PAX, at least) or (2) waiting until Black/White comes out to try one of those. Any suggestions?

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
    edited August 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »
    Okay... so I've never played a Pokémon game before, but reading this thread has got me curious, at least. I know there's no way I could have a team ready for PAX, so being involved this year is out... but I assume there will be something similar at PAX East if this goes well? I'm trying to decide between (1) giving HG or SS a shot (and using the Pokewalker at PAX, at least) or (2) waiting until Black/White comes out to try one of those. Any suggestions?

HG/SS. It's a very good mix of the new features and what the old pokemon games were about. That said, being very old guard, I would encourage you to take a trip in the Wayback Machine and give FireRed or LeafGreen a shot for some of that delicious original Pokemon flavor.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010

HG/SS. It's a very good mix of the new features and what the old pokemon games were about. That said, being very old guard, I would encourage you to take a trip in the Wayback Machine and give FireRed or LeafGreen a shot for some of that delicious original Pokemon flavor.

Cool. I've done a little bit of research, and it looks like the main difference between HG and SS (and between FR and LG) are a certain number of exclusives on each version? Given that I'm a complete newbie (or newb, or noob, or Pokémoron, or whatever), which versions of those are probably going to be better for me, given their respective exclusives?

Teletheus on
    edited August 2010
    Cool. I've done a little bit of research, and it looks like the main difference between HG and SS (and between FR and LG) are a certain number of exclusives on each version? Given that I'm a complete newbie (or newb, or noob, or Pokémoron, or whatever), which versions of those are probably going to be better for me, given their respective exclusives?

It's all dependent on what pokemon you would like to get really. Me personally, I didn't pay much attention to the exclusives, but I go with LeafGreen because I played Blue at first. I then went with SoulSilver because my brother got HeartGold and I had a preference to Lugia anyways.

I would suggest hitting up Bulbapedia and looking up the exclusives for each version and choosing which one appeals to you more. There's no true tactical advantage for getting one over the other, they both possess the same learning curve.

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna try my best to be down for PAX East, but that all depends on how it ends up going here at Prime. You should join this year. ;)

Heleor on
  • BozkoBozko Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'm gonna try my best to be down for PAX East, but that all depends on how it ends up going here at Prime. You should join this year. ;)

same here, and yes join :D

Bozko on
    R.O.A.C.H. 's Aluminum Chef~
    SUPER VILLAINS UNITE!
    JOIN R.O.A.C.H. Today!
    The Destructive Kitchen
    R.O.A.C.H. Home Page
    edited August 2010
    FYI: I was kinda sick today, so the mugshots aren't up today, I'll gather what the leaders have sent me and have them up tomorrow, sorry for the wait.

but Elite four #1 is up today, and all the other updates are going to happen as scheduled!

1 week until PAX, time for last minute training.

thespiffyneostar on
    edited August 2010
    I would suggest hitting up Bulbapedia and looking up the exclusives for each version and choosing which one appeals to you more. There's no true tactical advantage for getting one over the other, they both possess the same learning curve.

I guess my problem is that I know so little about the series that I don't know which ones will appeal to me more. :) I've tried sorting through the information on Bulbapedia, but without knowing anything about how the games work in practice, it's all just a bunch of meaningless statistics to me right now.

Teletheus on
    edited August 2010
    The simple question is if you want a fire bird or a water bird. Fire bird is gold, Water bird is silver. :P

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    The simple question is if you want a fire bird or a water bird. Fire bird is gold, Water bird is silver. :P

So, from what I'm reading, Fire types are more flashy and do more damage (sort of your typical "glass cannon") while Water types are more generally defensive minded and try to wear down opponents? Is that a fair assessment or am I totally off-base here? Should I be in another thread for this? :P

Teletheus on
    edited August 2010

So, from what I'm reading, Fire types are more flashy and do more damage (sort of your typical "glass cannon") while Water types are more generally defensive minded and try to wear down opponents? Is that a fair assessment or am I totally off-base here? Should I be in another thread for this? :P

Keeping this thread up is a noble goal. ;)

I'm not a fan of using legendaries myself, but catching them is usually exciting. Since most legendaries are limited in tournaments, you don't want to rely too much on them.

Fire types are rarer in both games than water types, but Lugia has some psychic attacks as well. Fire/Flying has a huge unfortunate weakness to stealth rock, which is common competitively. It's all up to you - which looks cooler? :P

Heleor on
  • dyaballikldyaballikl PAX Main Theatre House & Security Manager • PAX Community Cartographer Gold Coast QLD AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    personal choice: lugia rules, go soul silver

honestly though: it really doesn't matter. they make the games entirely even so that a parent can get each of their kids on version and neither will have any inherent advantage over the other.

dyaballikl on
    a.k.a. dya
    "Riding a mongoose reminds me of having sex with a man, which is something I do frequently because I am gay!" -Gabe
    edited August 2010
    I vote soul silver as well. but note you will be able to get both title pokemon in both games... you just get one sooner than the other.

thespiffyneostar on
  • WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm... Dragon comes FIRST in the Elite Four.... also, when you defeat them, do you get a chance to board a cruise ship to a remote battle island (references specific game versions)? Might I suggest using JoCo Cruise Crazy :P

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately we don't have the budget to send people on cruises. However, we may be able to spring for a 30 minute kayak ride on Lake Union.

Heleor on
    edited August 2010
    Unfortunately we don't have the budget to send people on cruises. However, we may be able to spring for a 30 minute kayak ride on Lake Union.

I thought that's why I was bringing my game boy printer. We could give them stickers saying "You won the prize!" or "You're The Guy!"

Matev on
    Hail Hydra
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'd recommend SoulSilver as well. I've made the decision on which version to get based solely on what 'mon is on the cover, so you may want to take that with a grain (or pound) of salt, but I think Lugia looks much better than that giant rainbow-colored turkey. But YMMV.

And as for the Elite Four: Nnnooooooo! I dislike going up against dragon-types. I had such a hard time with Claire and then Lance. Fortunately I had the feeling there'd be a dragon master in this so I raised a substitute for my team that can handle 'em, but if that one goes down I'm going to have a tough time. Ah well, if it happens I'll be putting up a good fight...depending on your definition of good. Maybe it'll just be me trying to not get wiped out. :P

Lumenadducere on
This discussion has been closed.