As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The PAX Pokemon League (UPDATE: HALL OF FAME!)

• thespiffyneostarthespiffyneostar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh, maybe I just missed you posting it, what was the final Hall of fame count?

also, the facebook fan page is up. I'm attempting to link it to the twitter so that those who dislike twitter/don't have twitter can still see updates and what not.

just search for PAX Pokemon League (we're techincally a "buisiness", because we couldn't be a "league")

thespiffyneostar on
  • lagomorphiclagomorphic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    really? wow, I feel special! :D

you have a LOT of extra badges don't you?

lagomorphic on
  • Blackfox138Blackfox138 Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    But what about those of us with neither facebook NOR twitter? D8

Blackfox138 on
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Then we shall spam you with email!

(If you're interested in helping organize this for East, email me at [email protected])

Heleor on
  • reekuzareekuza Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Lol stall teams. The guy who was in front of me in one line was stalling so hard with his pokemon. I'm just like HHNNGGG.

reekuza on
  • ViltrisViltris Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hey guys,

I managed to play against some of you Saturday evening in the Handheld Lounge. I was gonna come back on Sunday, but I ended up going home early with a terrible headache. (As it turns out, skipping lunch to go to PAX and not getting enough water is a very, very bad idea.)

Special thanks to Heleor for telling me about the PAX Pokemon League and getting me re-hooked on Pokemon. (This is Dwayne, btw.) Sorry I didn't get a chance to battle you on Sunday. By the time I found you, you were already knee deep in challengers, and then there was that aforementioned headache...

Special thanks to the guy with the Natu (Huang Feng?) for that one epic battle we had. (It came down to a standoff between his Yanmega and my Houndoom, and my Houndoom somehow survived a super-effective Bug Buzz with 1 HP left.)

Special thanks to Jolie and Ree for the practice battles we had while waiting in line, even though we never finished. And for putting up with my noobishness (since I'd never battled pokemon against real humans before). And a second special thanks to Ree for when she tried to battle me but instead ended up battling some anonymous unseen stranger halfway across the room who sent a team of level 100s against her. (It was amusing. At least up until the part where we realized that the team of level 100s was, you know, a team of level 100s.)

And special thanks to everyone who connected Pokewalkers with me and helped me get 8 Focus Sashes in a row. (Apparently, it's not random.)

For those of you who might remember, I was the asian guy with a Kangaskhan named "The Brute" in my Pokewalker. And for those of you who battled me (all 3 of you), I was the guy who led with a Calm Mind Suicune, then later brought out a Lugia.

So anyway, I was original thinking of being a Gym Leader at PAX Prime next year. But then I realized that you're prolly gonna be on Black & White next year. And despite it's awesomely addictiveness (or more accurately, precisely *because* of its awesomely addictiveness), I decreed I wouldn't be jumping on Gen 5 until the theoretical Pokemon Gray came out. But we'll see. (For all I know, maybe I might have a critical mass of friends playing Pokemon Black & White, and I'll have no choice but to jump on Gen 5.)
    missyjean wrote: »
    So let me tell all of you now,I'm going to be dressing up as a team rocket grunt again tomorrow.I have long brownish red hair.

I think I saw you on Saturday when I was getting in line to challenge Huang Feng! If I recall, my exact words were "Oh, you're a team rocket member!"
    reekuza wrote: »
    I'll have the pink "flower" in my hair but I'll be wearing jeans instead of a pleated skirt

I'm guessing that you were that "Ree" mentioned above.
    reekuza wrote: »
    Lol stall teams. The guy who was in front of me in one line was stalling so hard with his pokemon. I'm just like HHNNGGG.

Haha, was it the guy with the Lugia who kept using Recover? Sorry about that. I blame my own noobishness =P

Viltris on
    \/
    edited September 2010
    (For all I know, maybe I might have a critical mass of friends playing Pokemon Black & White, and I'll have no choice but to jump on Gen 5.)

This.

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    Oh dude hey! Yeah that was me, haha. You, Xatu guy, and Breeder man were all super cool. Oh, Will too. The people I did manage to come into contact with were all rather likable, so I wouldn't have any problem trading friend codes with you guys some time (plus, hello, battle practice). I just need to get a wifi stick since my router isn't compatible. :C

I personally can't wait for B/W. I usually end up buying one version of a two that comes out AND the "combo" version because I just like some of the new quirks they end up adding. Not to mention have to save up for a 3DS... agh. This year is going to be expeensssivveee. Still though, plenty of time to start working on my team from scratch instead of transferring them into my HG to be able to EV train properly. 8D

reekuza on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My only regret this PAX was being unable to challenge *any* Gym Leaders. Of course, this isn't anyone's fault but my own as I had plenty of opportunity but I was far too distracted by everything else going on. You can be sure I'll be out in full force come East.

Oh, and one more thing...
    Sleight of hand is the best counter to any Pokemon and my shiny Facade Badge looked great alongside all the other buttons I collected. Of course, if I didn't have to rush out of the house this morning to catch my flight, I wouldn't have left it in Seattle but such is life.

Giovanni, expect a résumé soon as I've got a score to settle.

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited September 2010
    Apparently my badges were the most popular, with how much they were getting stolen... :P

Heleor on
  • mostlyharmlessmostlyharmless Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I don't know. Everybody who got my badge said mine was badass.

mostlyharmless on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »
    Apparently my badges were the most popular, with how much they were getting stolen... :P

Or perhaps you were an easy target.

<Omicron-8643> on
    edited September 2010
    Maybe next year I'll just steal some. I'd be a Rocket. in disguise.

reekuza on
  • InfidelInfidel Heretic Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Where is the trainer that borrowed my old phat DS to be the first to challenge my roomie, Xatu? I am curious how far you got in the league.

I finally (yes, just this PAX weekend) picked up my first pokemon game, I hope to join in the fun next year.

Infidel on
    OrokosPA.png
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Heleor wrote: »

Next year I'll be less obvious about it. ;)

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
    edited September 2010
    Thanks for reminding me. Friend codes. I dunno the policy for posting friend codes in the forums, so I'll just PM my friend code to the people I know. Or wait for spiffy's big friend code swap thingamabobber. They're both good options.

Viltris on
    \/
    edited September 2010
    sorry for the delay on the Hall of fame...
    apparently my computer hates my xD card and inserting it into my lappy is causing a BSOD (but the pics are still fine, I double checked).

thespiffyneostar on
  • missyjeanmissyjean Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    @Viltris

A lot of people came up to me and said that.You're going to have to be more specific. Like I originally thought,people came up to me and thought I was part of the Team Rocket event. It cost me 20 bucks to get a big "R" on a T-shirt at the mall,and I already had the other clothing items.Easiest cosplay ever!

Even a homeless guy outside was like,"You're team rocket aren't you!"

I only faced one gym leader.The natu guy. He was uber cool and intimidating.I only knocked down two of his Pokes. I actually had some semblance of a strategy to beat him,but I got nervous and my mind went blank. I think he would have beat me anyways,though.

My husband wanted me to pass out my number to all the Pokemon fans I met that lived in Washington.Unfortunately, I got too scared to do that as well. I'm a stay at home wife and he wants me to go out and do stuff besides playing WoW all day.=P

One guy gave me emerald version,but I think it's just a demo. It has "not for resale" written across the front and the sticker says "Game demo pck" on the back. Thought that was kind of odd. Another guy had me pose with a mini yoda for a picture.He was awesome.

Oh and now I'm rambling =(

missyjean on
  • LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I only had time to earn one badge, but it was well-earned. I had so many other things to do, I guess Pokemon Mastery is not for the massively preoccupied.

I don't suppose badges would carry over form year to year, eh? Regardless, I'll proudly display my Facade Badge as a testament to my 1-0 undefeated PAX Pokemon League record.

Losar on
    Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
    edited September 2010
    If I remember what Pine told me, I think only two people managed to get EVERY badge. 13 total, 8 for gyms, 4 for E4, and one for champ, because DAYUM some gym leaders were hard to find/get time to battle (I'm looking at YOU Virus and Eva XD)
    if someone else got all thirteen, lemme know! I can account for the two I know of (namely, me and my friend DoubleDay :D) but I def wanna hear if anyone else got more.

And to all those who didn't have time to get more then a few, Good job anyways! I only managed to get them all because there wasn't that much I had planned to do XD mostly hanging out. and having the twitter feed was REALLY helpful to hunt them down, and to pass along info to other trainers :D I know I helped one person find Eva when she was outside the Cheesecake factory.

ENOUGH OF MY RAMBLE!

lagomorphic on
    edited September 2010
    sorry for the delay on the Hall of fame...
    apparently my computer hates my xD card and inserting it into my lappy is causing a BSOD (but the pics are still fine, I double checked).

First read of this I thought you mean your computer hates your card, and you were laughing about it. AHM DUMB

lagomorphic on
    edited September 2010
    My husband wanted me to pass out my number to all the Pokemon fans I met that lived in Washington.Unfortunately, I got too scared to do that as well. I'm a stay at home wife and he wants me to go out and do stuff besides playing WoW all day.=P

Yeah, I'd feel weird about giving out my number too, especially if the recipient took it the wrong way.

But he does have a point. I'd much rather hang out IRL and play video games with a bunch of fiends in one of our living rooms than stay at home playing online games with people whose faces I've never seen.

Viltris on
    \/
  • DruVirusDruVirus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Thank you to everyone who participated in our first attempt at the League! I, for one, think it went quite well and can't wait to resume my position as Dark Gym Leader next year! Met some great people (throw out to CoCo who drew me a great Greed picture and the one girl who was also a Dark Trainer) and had some great battles. I still have quite a number of badges even after handing them out to Pokemon cosplayers (after a trivia question, of course).

I think I learned my lesson of not breeding a Houndoom for this. Steel and Bug types ran circles around me. Next year/PAX East I won't try to be so elusive as I was this year! I promise! Although, I do have to hide within the darkness still mysterious and elusive and all .. mooahaha!

BUT! If anybody out there would like to friend me on facebook for .. Pokemon shenanigans or just regular awesomeness, .. hit me up on /pokemontrainer

Just put something about the PPL in the comment line! ;D

DruVirus on
    Virus ; COLOR="Green"]!Chikorita Gold[/COLOR] -- PAX East PokeCrawl
    COLOR="Blue"]!Ravenclaw[/COLOR] House -- PAX Prime Tri-Wizard Drinking
    PAX Pokemon League Dark Gym Leader
    [Enforcer]
    edited September 2010
    DruVirus wrote: »
    BUT! If anybody out there would like to friend me on facebook for .. Pokemon shenanigans or just regular awesomeness, .. hit me up on /pokemontrainer

yeah, PPL has a facebook page...

only about 20 people are fans.
    please fix this...

UPDATE on camera:
    I'm still looking for it's cable, as I'm hoping that with the cable it won't cause my BSOD.

thespiffyneostar on
  • MrBlarneyMrBlarney Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Hello there, all. Huáng Fēng checking in. Being a Gym Leader really sucked the time out of my PAX days, but it was very fun, very exciting to play my role. I kind of surprised myself at how well I did - 19 wins and 38 losses for a .333 average. Had I been able to play my 6th mon, I'm sure I'd have squeaked out a few more. Still, it was a very satisfying experience - I'm embarassed and proud that a number of people considered me at or near the top of the Gym Leaders' tier when I had expected to be somewhere in the middle.

I've still got tons of Leader buttons, and it's too bad I didn't get to exchange them with my fellow Leaders (except Giovanni). I'll figure out something for them...

Anyways, a few pictures relevant to the thread. Enjoy.
    Heleor and Myself as Will and Xatu (and Natu)
    DSC01757s.jpg

A small group shot, including someone that doesn't quite belong...
    DSC01758s.jpg

emosquid as Dr. Spence as Reisen (sorry the photo didn't come out so well...)
    DSC01763s.jpg

MrBlarney on
    4463rwiq7r47.png
    edited September 2010
    ...I totally look like I'm a freakishly tall 12 year old with that wig. O.o;

As I plugged on the twitter, if you have some [flash?] animation experience and are willing to contribute some time, please contact me. If you wish to help out for East, PM me or email me as well. The thread will be posted when it's ready, but for now we're using this thread to organize!

Heleor on
    edited September 2010
    DruVirus wrote: »

yeah, PPL has a facebook page...

only about 20 people are fans.
    please fix this...

GO BECOME A FAN!
    shameless-plug-480x359.jpg

lagomorphic on
  • missyjeanmissyjean Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So are we putting our friend codes on the facebook page or on here? I don't even have a facebook account =P

As for the pictures above: You all look so good!

Huáng Fēng...I wish I could pronounce that!

missyjean on
  • lecheelechee Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    The pokemon league was fun. I am just missing the fourth elite 4 and the champ badge. I hope I can go to PAX next year to do this again maybe as a gym leader or something, unless you get too many gym leaders.

I think next time, the gym battle should be 3v3, elite 4 should be 4v4, and champ should be 6v6. This should allow someone to almost finish the league in 1 day, so the elite 4 and champ dont have to wait til sunday to battle.

lechee on
    edited September 2010
    I mentioned that earlier, Lechee. And yeah, it would definitely help out the wait time in line as well.

reekuza on
    edited September 2010
    lechee wrote: »
    The pokemon league was fun. I am just missing the fourth elite 4 and the champ badge. I hope I can go to PAX next year to do this again maybe as a gym leader or something, unless you get too many gym leaders.

I think next time, the gym battle should be 3v3, elite 4 should be 4v4, and champ should be 6v6. This should allow someone to almost finish the league in 1 day, so the elite 4 and champ dont have to wait til sunday to battle.

see, I think they actually went pretty well, size wise. I managed to get through 6 badges early on day one. I only got hung up because two gym leaders were incommunicado. I do think that MORE gym leaders would be good, so you don't have to have the same eight. you can find someone who isn't terribly busy.

that's my two cents anywho.

lagomorphic on
    edited September 2010
    Lechee, were you the guy with the Ash hat?

lagomorphic on
    edited September 2010
    So are we putting our friend codes on the facebook page or on here?

We'll be posting them here shortly.

Terrible news everybody... I've lost my camera connector cable, but GREAT NEWS EVERYBODY; I'm going to buy a new one today so I can get the hall of fame up and running/posted here.

ALSO is you have any pictures of the PPL, please post in the thread, I'd like to make a conglomerative gallery to display them :)

thespiffyneostar on
  • GamesharkGameshark Watch how I soar Registered User regular
    edited September 2010

Can you battle over the netz? I'd hate for you to miss everyone's badge but mine. Let's talk, I'd love to face you and see if you're worthy of illumination!

Gameshark on
  • ElgaladwenElgaladwen Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    My PPL pictures are all pretty terrible, but here's what I have anyway!

Team Rocket!
    59422_443357158856_502033856_5219381_4394003_n.jpg

Trainers with League people in the background.
    47929_443357298856_502033856_5219387_6264532_n.jpg

Oddish!
    47929_443357303856_502033856_5219388_3118475_n.jpg

Blurry, blurry Will and Giovanni in the expo hall.
    59422_443357108856_502033856_5219372_172786_n.jpg

Elgaladwen on
    OddishSmallSprite.gif
    Be the very best. Like no one ever was. http://paxpokemonleague.net
    edited September 2010
    added to the gallery that is (probably) going up.

facebook is hating my guts right now, BUT that is where we'll be posting our hall of fame (that way our champs can more easily brag about it to their friends)

EDIT: Hall of fame is now up on facebook!

thespiffyneostar on
    edited September 2010
    Lechee, were you the guy with the Ash hat?

No I am the short asian guy with the glasses.
    Gameshark wrote: »

Can you battle over the netz? I'd hate for you to miss everyone's badge but mine. Let's talk, I'd love to face you and see if you're worthy of illumination!

Since I switch my internet provider to Comcast, I have not figure out how to get my DS connected to the internet. If you live around the seattle area, we can meet up to battle.

lechee on
  • TeletheusTeletheus Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Since I switch my internet provider to Comcast, I have not figure out how to get my DS connected to the internet. If you live around the seattle area, we can meet up to battle.

This may be a silly question, but did your wireless security change when you changed ISPs? I know I was surprised to discover that the DS only supports WEP security for games and that it can't recognize WPA.

Teletheus on
    PSN/XBL/Steam/Twitter: Teletheus
    edited September 2010
    Teletheus wrote: »

This may be a silly question, but did your wireless security change when you changed ISPs? I know I was surprised to discover that the DS only supports WEP security for games and that it can't recognize WPA.

Yes it did. I had to change my network since i switch internet provider and that network is WPA. Nintendo has a way so you can use the WPA security for the DS, but it has not work for me.

lechee on
  • LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    So I didn't run into any leaders during the con and showed up late to the second meetup, which meant there was a fairly sizeable line ahead of me for each gym leader, but it was really cool seeing everyone in costume and watching people battle. Congrats to all involved and thank you for your efforts!

I think for next year a few more gym leaders and the rule of 6 badges before the E4 would be good. Otherwise it seems like it would've worked out had I been able to make the other meetups. In any event, what little time I did have to hang around you guys was pretty fun, even if I wasn't able to battle. Looking forward to next year's PPL!

Lumenadducere on
This discussion has been closed.