As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

(OOC) Rogue Trader: A Fresh Start

• Options
    GothicLargoGothicLargo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE wrote: »
    I'll need to get closer (10m) to be able to attempt compel. I'm thinking the commander mucky muck would be the best bet for good info

Well, as short term goals go that sounds good to me since I'm not getting any further on trying to shoot them.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    npc.EXEnpc.EXE Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'll need to get closer (10m) to be able to attempt compel. I'm thinking the commander mucky muck would be the best bet for good info

Well, as short term goals go that sounds good to me since I'm not getting any further on trying to shoot them.

Alright, well I have a plan then.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    ChrysisChrysis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Name your ...." Should work for a simple compulsion, and at 10m you'd likely be close enough to hear. You could always "Push" your power up to Psyrating +3, so effective 5 or 25m range on compel, but you'd automatically get a phenomena with a +15 to find out what it is. So you'd be looking at about a 40% chance of perils, which sounds like fun to me :) You'd also be making the Opposed Willpower test at +25 (+5 for each level of your effective Psy Rating), so you're much more likely to succeed.

Really it comes down to how much risk you want to take playing silly buggers in the Warp. As long as you don't do everything at Fettered I'll be happy :)

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Chrysis wrote: »
    "Name your ...." Should work for a simple compulsion, and at 10m you'd likely be close enough to hear. You could always "Push" your power up to Psyrating +3, so effective 5 or 25m range on compel, but you'd automatically get a phenomena with a +15 to find out what it is. So you'd be looking at about a 40% chance of perils, which sounds like fun to me :) You'd also be making the Opposed Willpower test at +25 (+5 for each level of your effective Psy Rating), so you're much more likely to succeed.

Really it comes down to how much risk you want to take playing silly buggers in the Warp. As long as you don't do everything at Fettered I'll be happy :)

Oh perils are my favorite thing about playing the DH game. Last time I played this... dinner party. Tried to read a mind. Failure. Rolled spoilage. Everyone threw up. Floor counted as difficult terrain.

I ended up dying pretty early that game. An encounter or two later got perils of the warp and dark summoning. I got ripped to pieces and said I'm done for a while.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That dinner party story is beautiful. I only hope something as spectacular can happen. On the plus side, the only instant death perils option is on a 100, so just don't roll too high :) Of course a lot of them aren't much fun to live through, but you probably will.

Chrysis on
    Tri-Optimum reminds you that there are only one-hundred-sixty-three shopping days until Christmas. Just 1 extra work cycle twice a week will give you the spending money you need to make this holiday a very special one.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That dinner party story is beautiful. I only hope something as spectacular can happen. On the plus side, the only instant death perils option is on a 100, so just don't roll too high :) Of course a lot of them aren't much fun to live through, but you probably will.

Well, and I get to submit my 'trademark' fuck up if I so desire so long as it doesn't tread into summon deamon territory. I'll do my best to be... narrative.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh perils are my favorite thing about playing the DH game. Last time I played this... dinner party. Tried to read a mind. Failure. Rolled spoilage. Everyone threw up. Floor counted as difficult terrain.

I ended up dying pretty early that game. An encounter or two later got perils of the warp and dark summoning. I got ripped to pieces and said I'm done for a while.

Those are both awesome.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Of course the first time you do you'll be taking a Mental Trauma test for reaching 20 points :) Although it'd be at +10, so you should pass.

EDIT: Just been looking at the numbers for Mikaela shooting that Heavy Bolter. BS 48 +10 for the Motion Predictor +10 for short range +20 for Full Auto gives a target number of 88. Whoever she points that thing at is going to get utterly eviscerated unless they get stupidly lucky.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I look forward to this... which is why it is maddening that her turn has not been posted yet. D:

I can only hope someone gets literally cut in half+ by that thing.

Also, a thought occurs. If I'm going to try for some mind bubbling action I'd really appreciate it is someone 'just happened' to distract shotgun dudes. Those things can hurt my tender psyker flesh.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    NPC, you were asking about references to an earlier campaign. Chrysis. Herm. and I were in an earlier RT group until our gm ragequit.

Herm was cap'n. Chrysis was the cogboy and I was a metalican gunrunner baron seneschal.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the Melta reference was to a number of mooks getting roasted by an inferno pistol. I also fired three semi-auto lasgun bursts and with the last one managed to tag a mook in the head.

I suspect a Heavy Bolter opening up will be distracting enough. Although at this range shotties may not be the best weapon for dealing with that. We'll have to see how it goes. Technically she won't be getting the +10 encouragement bonus for this shot being higher in the initiative order and all, but next round things will probably get really ugly for someone :) A target number of 98 means it's either at least one hit or a jam.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    HermenegildeHermenegilde Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So. Do I shoot the woman ? Or mop up the soldiers ?

edit : the crowd is not going to like this. Did they dive for cover ?

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Follow... your heart. :P

A previous campaign huh? Why'd your GM ragequit... did you find a deck of many things? :lol:

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Follow... your heart. :P

A previous campaign huh? Why'd your GM ragequit... did you find a deck of many things? :lol:

I'm not sure exactly.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Augh, invisible castle! Why you gotta be like this baby?

Question they are still 20m yes?

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Remember Chrysis, I was moving to cover with my second half action. If there's no other cover available I'll use one of Mikaela's minions. I can always replace them anyway.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Looks like it's fixed itself up while I was in the shower.

Nope, the ones closest to 20m away were the shotgun guys who are now legless on the floor. They're pretty dead. The rest hadn't advanced from the 30m, so unless I've forgotten you advancing they're still about 30m away. They're about 26m from Tristan though.

Let's say that if you make a half advance forward you could find a lasgun mook within 25m for you to play with.

EDIT: I haven't forgotten, but you're in the clear anyway :)

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Remember Chrysis, I was moving to cover with my second half action. If there's no other cover available I'll use one of Mikaela's minions. I can always replace them anyway.

Cold... so cold.

In regards to the movement. Tactical advance counts as my ab x1 or as a full movement abx2? I'm pretty sure its the former but just checking.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh wait, I remembered the order of shots wrong, you aren't entirely in the clear :)

EDIT: OK, I've worked through the results. You're still in the clear, although your cover isn't looking so good anymore.

Tactical Advance says "Up to your Full Move" which would be AB*2. I think you'd choose to Tactical Advance when someone has overwatch on your area, otherwise there's little difference between it and a Full move if you end up in cover.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Got edited away after posting it... for I am keyboard bored.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Chrysis, am I close enough to the leader to do a full round charge?

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE: If that was a full round run action then it would actually get you 18 metres towards them, putting you roughly 12m away. The quick description says triple, but the longer description says to check the table which is on pg.265 and has Run at *6 rather than *3.

GothicLargo: They are still roughly 30m away, so you'd need to first run forwards and then next round you could charge. Your charge distance is 9m, while your run is 18m. With the slight variations you could probably find someone to shank next round if you run forward this one like Sarvus is doing.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    npc.EXE: If that was a full round run action then it would actually get you 18 metres towards them, putting you roughly 12m away.

For me right now, closer is closer. Going for glory. Now to watch my dice betray me spectacularly.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes, things could get messy. If they decide to open up on the crazy man running at them with a stick things might go badly. Of course, that Heavy Bolter is still there so it's not like they only have 1 thing to worry about.

Hang on, your Agility is 43. A full run puts you 24m towards them so you're almost on top of them. Things could get very very messy.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes, things could get messy. If they decide to open up on the crazy man running at them with a stick things might go badly. Of course, that Heavy Bolter is still there so it's not like they only have 1 thing to worry about.

Hang on, your Agility is 43. A full run puts you 24m towards them so you're almost on top of them. Things could get very very messy.

Well, I guess what's done is done yes? If they fire on me they are at -20 for the text due to speedy quickness right. Unless they try to rush me and melee...

I'd offer to just full move 8m and put commander keen back there within 25m for a pushed compel.

Then again, I'm pretty sure a grenade of some sort is coming our way in their next round. Clumping can be bad.

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    GothicLargo: They are still roughly 30m away, so you'd need to first run forwards and then next round you could charge. Your charge distance is 9m, while your run is 18m. With the slight variations you could probably find someone to shank next round if you run forward this one like Sarvus is doing.

Ok, here's a different question...

Could I use charm and renowned warrant (hero, remember) to encourage them to drop their weapons and surrender before Mikaela cuts them to pieces?

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You could give it a try. I think Intimidate is the more likely choice for this sort of work, but I'm sure you could make charm work. Don't forget that Mikaela will be going before you. They're somewhat loyal to their employer, so let's say a -10 there. But I'll give you a bonus depending on how bloody Mikaela makes this, maybe a +10 bonus for each extremity Mikaela removes this round if you make it sound like you could convince her to stop.

Oh yeah, while they know of the importance of warrants in general they probably aren't well enough informed or care enough to know the significance of yours in particular. They are hired muscle after all.

EDIT: It's pretty close. I'm open to partial degrees of success or failure. It's close, so maybe you convince one to give up but the rest keep going. We'll see how well the heavy bolter does. I suspect there'll be at least one casualty, so we're probably looking at the mooks at least giving up. The commander might be a little less easily convinced.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    EDIT: It's pretty close. I'm open to partial degrees of success or failure. It's close, so maybe you convince one to give up but the rest keep going. We'll see how well the heavy bolter does. I suspect there'll be at least one casualty, so we're probably looking at the mooks at least giving up. The commander might be a little less easily convinced.

Ok. Yeah I rolled it out so we'll see.

I'm just hoping we kill two, have one left, he gives up and then npc.EXE can play his brain like an accordion.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    ColtColt .45 ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am getting some terribad rolls.

Colt on
    steam.pngxbl.pngpsn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But at least you haven't jammed a lasgun yet :)

I took part in a Dark Heresy game where someone's first combat action was to single shot a lasgun and manage to jam it. That was an impressive start :)

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    But at least you haven't jammed a lasgun yet :)

I took part in a Dark Heresy game where someone's first combat action was to single shot a lasgun and manage to jam it. That was an impressive start :)

*cough*

Thank goodness for best quality I guess.

Also, I have a feeling I am about to get my proverbial 'shit rocked.'

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The odds of jamming a stub auto are 1/20, the odds of jamming a lasgun are 1/200 assuming single shots :)
    But Best Quality does get around a lot of those problems, although with a lasgun it doesn't help mitigate the fact that it's still a lasgun and thus a glorified flashlight.

Without the cover those two hits on Falk would have done a grand total of 3 damage, and I rolled pretty well on the damage. Against unarmoured targets they can do well, but at this level a lasgun isn't much of a threat. A Hellgun is a different story though.

Autoguns suffer from the same problem of having no penetration, but can fix that a bit by adding manstopper rounds.

EDIT:
    Guess I should have been a little bit more explicit. Both the woman and the civilians are gone, so you can't really shoot at her, but you no longer have to roll for civilian casualties when shooting at people any more.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gotta love heavy weaponry.

It's my first time with one and I think it's great.

Hermenegilde on
  • Options
    lodwilklodwilk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

EDIT:
    Guess I should have been a little bit more explicit. Both the woman and the civilians are gone, so you can't really shoot at her, but you no longer have to roll for civilian casualties when shooting at people any more.

Gah, oops. Sorry about that, its exam season for me at this time so I'm a bit distracted. However I should be less of a silly goose by Tuesday. I missed anyways so it's all good I guess.

lodwilk on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Don't worry about it, I would have just moved a hit onto a mook.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So, how far away is the commander dude?

+question: An increased Psy rating only adds to the distance I can use it and not to the how hard it is for the another to resist it yes?

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The commander ran about 18m, so you're between 20 and 25m away from him.

It actually does a bit of both. Because you add +5 to your Focus Power test for each point of psyrating (i.e usually you'd be adding 10 to your WP when you go to manifest some ability) and compel is an opposed test where he has to roll more degrees if success than you as you increase your Psy Rating you increase the average number of degrees of success you'll achieve. That makes it harder for him to resist.

Technically the charm attempt by Falk was also an opposed test, but I think this fits better for this particular set of circumstances.

Chrysis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I want to make sure I don't screw up another roll so let me double check here:

I would roll willpower (46) and push the power to psy rating 3 thus adding 15 to the test (psy rating 3x5) thus rolling against a final score of 61 or under for a success and the target would have to have a greater degree of success against his own willpower than me to overcome it? Also, and as long as the action offered is not suicidal he doesn't gain a -20 for his roll?

Then I would HAVE to roll on the psychic phenomena table due to the push at a +5 to the resulting roll... right?

It is listed as a half action, does it remain so if I push it, or does that make it a full round action?

npc.EXE on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Technically the charm attempt by Falk was also an opposed test, but I think this fits better for this particular set of circumstances.

Golden Rule of RPGs:

Try it. It's the GM's job to shoot you down.

GothicLargo on
    atfc.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Exactly, although I`m going to try to avoid shooting down things that are reasonable. Like if the lady had caught many Heavy Bolter rounds I`d just have to try a little harder to think of how to make things work.

That`s exactly right on the Psychic test. You have the option of pushing to 4 or 5 as well (I.E. Your psy rating + 3), but I suspect you`ve already ruled those out on the basis of it probably not being worth it.

It would stay a half action. If anything it would get quicker because you`re being less careful, but we aren`t going to go there.

Chrysis on