As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Alpha Protocol: Old Thread

• Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is a very annoying week for people under a self-imposed media blackout. Like me.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Clutch414 wrote: »
    How involved is the hand-to-hand combat going to be? I was following AP pretty closely last year, but it fell off my radar until recently. Not that I want brawler or beat 'em up mechanics by any stretch, but I was thinking I wanted my version of Thorton to be more towards the stealthy side with pistols and hand-to-hand being the focus. I remember it being talked about before I lost track of the development of AP. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

The hand to hand is viewed as a supplementary combat style but I guess you should be ok since you are packing pistols as well. That said someone at Obsidian said they finished the game purely with CQC (and I assume sneaking as well) though it was described as "very challenging".

Tertiee on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    This is a very annoying week for people under a self-imposed media blackout. Like me.

Served me well when Mass Effect 2 was coming out. Grief, looking over some of the trailers and pre-release footage they spoiled so much of the game.

Although here admittedly I'm not so worried. They seem to be far more intent on talking about the mechanics than any specific storyline elements. That said I'm not really interested in reading any more articles on AP until it comes out.

subedii on
  • Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Paradiso wrote: »
    How involved is the hand-to-hand combat going to be? I was following AP pretty closely last year, but it fell off my radar until recently. Not that I want brawler or beat 'em up mechanics by any stretch, but I was thinking I wanted my version of Thorton to be more towards the stealthy side with pistols and hand-to-hand being the focus. I remember it being talked about before I lost track of the development of AP. Does anyone know if that would be possible?

This post would like a word with you, sir.

Whoops! I didn't see that in my skimming over this thread. My apologies. And thank you, kind sir, for directing me to this post.

I didn't either. Martial Arts looks a lot better than it used to. Likin' dis.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Finally.

An award for abstinence.
    No time for Love

Tidus.jpg

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    shortround.jpg

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I understand Tycho's. I have no idea what the heck with BlackDove's.

PolloDiablo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    [strike]Go to or read the URL the picture links to.[/strike]
    The Tidus picture is a 4chan thing. Don't look any further into the matter.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tertiee wrote: »
    Go to or read the URL the picture links to.

... Dove's picture doesn't link?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Elvenshae wrote: »

right click- properties

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Foefaller wrote: »
    Elvenshae wrote: »

right click- properties

Not being a moron, I tried that, too. It leads you to here: http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/7/74/Tidus.jpg

I've tried deleting various things from that URL, but they all result in a 404.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    THE MYSTERY DEEPENS.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I actually had gotten BlackDove and TychoCelchuuu posts confused but my post still gives a hint to what it alludes to. The site the picture is from is Encyclopedia Dramatica which is a wiki of 4chan memes and culture.

Edit: This probably goes without saying but Encyclopedia Dramatica is definitely NSFW.

Tertiee on
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I actually had gotten BlackDove and TychoCelchuuu posts confused but my post still gives a hint to what it alludes to. The site the picture is from is Encyclopedia Dramatica which is a wiki of 4chan memes and culture.

Edit: This probably goes without saying but Encyclopedia Dramatica is definitely NSFW.

Um, no, for those of us who wouldn't have already known what the URL you told us to follow would direct us to, NSFW definitely did not go without saying. :x

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    SammyF wrote: »

Um, no, for those of us who wouldn't have already known what the URL you told us to follow would direct us to, NSFW definitely did not go without saying. :x

Yeah - you know what was great? Messing around with that URL from the picture and then seeing poorly animated sex.

Thanks, team!
    No, seriously, screw you, buddy.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    YEah fuck that horrible FFX image thing.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ...so....how about that Alpha protocol thing? I hear it has choices

EDIT: Also, Avellone

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MarikirMarikir Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does anyone know exactly how the Martial Arts are implemented? Is it like a God of War with multiple presses with one per attack? Or is it more like KOTOR where your character starts a canned set of moves after you hit "CQC Attack?"

Marikir on
    steam_sig.png "Hiding in plain sight." PSN/XBL: Marikir
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    We don't really have much coverage on the nuts and bolts of the controls, but I doubt that there's more than 2 buttons bound to attacks, for zoom and shoot on normal guns, so probably the later

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Marikir wrote: »
    Does anyone know exactly how the Martial Arts are implemented? Is it like a God of War with multiple presses with one per attack? Or is it more like KOTOR where your character starts a canned set of moves after you hit "CQC Attack?"

Yeah I'm guessing it's almost exactly like KOTOR, various special attacks that you can trigger plus your base melee attack. Maybe it'll be like Jade Empire.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Yeah I'm guessing it's almost exactly like KOTOR, various special attacks that you can trigger plus your base melee attack. Maybe it'll be like Jade Empire.

Well, I think it'll be snappier than KOTOR, for sure. Don't forget the guns are described as being quite competently shootery, so while each button press for CQC may trigger one of several sequences, hopefully it'll at least feel satisfying.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Well, I think it'll be snappier than KOTOR, for sure. Don't forget the guns are described as being quite competently shootery, so while each button press for CQC may trigger one of several sequences, hopefully it'll at least feel satisfying.

I really like the way the focusing for critical shots seems to work in this game, and wonder why no one thought of it before

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Err, sorry about that the Tidus picture incident. Again, I got the two pictures confused which is why I said go to the URL the picture links to since TychoCelchuuu's picture actually links to a webpage when you click on it. I've edited my original post so it shouldn't happen to anyone else.

Here are some new previews as a start of my repentance:
    Videogamer has a hands on preview that generally says the gunplay and shooting aren't stellar but the spy stuff, customization, and reactivity are. The second page reveals some of the reactivity in the Moscow hub, if you are avoiding spoilers at all costs, though we've seen most of it mentioned in other previews. Sega's also telling the press there are 32 endings which is weird since Obsidian has been careful not to give specific numbers in earlier interviews.
    http://www.videogamer.com/xbox360/alpha_protocol/preview-2332.html

Some german site has put up some gameplay footage of the PS3 version. Again spoilers warning for the first hub Saudia Arabia though if you've read 1up's preview of the 3 JB styles you know what happens. German commentators but the in-game dialog is still in english.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvyMdhkR4g4

Tertiee on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, it appears that the enemies have life bars, and they have no qualms about shooting the shit out of you.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Hmm, it appears that the enemies have life bars, and they have no qualms about shooting the shit out of you.

I'm not sure a game where the enemies have qualms about shooting the shit out of you would work too well.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I'm not sure a game where the enemies have qualms about shooting the shit out of you would work too well.

Saving Private Ryan: That One Dude: The Game?

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

"I WILL DESTROY Y... I will... destroy... I... I sound like a soulless monster. What am I becoming? I didn't sign up for this. I didn't want this."
    Orphans Created: 2

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Makes stealthing a bit tough. The guy in the video was unloading a machine gun at the PC and he had to slowly saunter up to him to punch him out.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked the first paragraph of the videogamer preview:
    Call me old fashioned, but I’ve always thought that if you’re gainfully employed as a spy – by a government, private security agency, or even some form of business – then your actual workload should largely consist of… well, spying. If you act like the office clown to the point that your boss hates you; if you attempt to sneak your way into a terrorist base by arguing that no, you’re not an American secret agent – you’re actually a Canadian; if most of your espionage work consists of running around like a maniac, unloading a shotgun into the face of the nearest security guard…. if you do these things, I don’t know what you are – but you’re certainly not a spy, in the traditional sense.

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce my independently-produced spy game, HUMINT. Half of the gameplay will focus on watching the position of certain window shades so that you know approximately when and where your next dead drop is scheduled. The other half of the gameplay will focus on getting someone who knows something to accidentally fuck a stripper so you can blackmail the ever-loving shit out of him. Then all of the information you collect will be discarded as unsubstantiated rumor and disinformation because it doesn't jive with the Vice President's gut feeling that weapons of mass destruction are everywhere and anyway the overhead doesn't back it up.

SammyF on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wait, that Canadian thing didn't work? The German voiceover was too loud and it drowned out the VA.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    mynameisguidomynameisguido Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Call me old fashioned, but I’ve always thought that if you’re gainfully employed as a spy – by a government, private security agency, or even some form of business – then your actual workload should largely consist of… well, spying. If you act like the office clown to the point that your boss hates you; if you attempt to sneak your way into a terrorist base by arguing that no, you’re not an American secret agent – you’re actually a Canadian; if most of your espionage work consists of running around like a maniac, unloading a shotgun into the face of the nearest security guard…. if you do these things, I don’t know what you are – but you’re certainly not a spy, in the traditional sense.

I'd like to take this opportunity to announce my independently-produced spy game, HUMINT. Half of the gameplay will focus on watching the position of certain window shades so that you know approximately when and where your next dead drop is scheduled. The other half of the gameplay will focus on getting someone who knows something to accidentally fuck a stripper so you can blackmail the ever-loving shit out of him. Then all of the information you collect will be discarded as unsubstantiated rumor and disinformation because it doesn't jive with the Vice President's gut feeling that weapons of mass destruction are everywhere and anyway the overhead doesn't back it up.

It's like the spy version of this

http://www.theonion.com/video/ultrarealistic-modern-warfare-game-features-awaiti,14382/

mynameisguido on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wait, that Canadian thing didn't work? The German voiceover was too loud and it drowned out the VA.

Correct, it forces you to fight your way through because everybody calls bullshit on your story. The three options don't always work the way you'd want, because otherwise, there's no thrill in picking them.

l337CrappyJack on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Anyone notice that the official page has been redesigned?
    http://www.sega.com/alphaprotocol/us/index.php

Oh, also, review code has been sent out
    http://www.ozcarguide.com/technology/gaming/3037-alpha-protocol-beta-release-develop-your-skills

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Disappointing to hear the gun play isn't any good. I wonder if it's as bad as the first Mass Effect?

tofu on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I like this idea

You will also be slightly overweight, non descript looking and have a drinking problem. You will NOT be good in a fight and will be adverse to using weapons.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

Hurr Durr, people at Videogamer are just getting wise to the fact James Bond is the worst spy ever.

BlackDove on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Venkman90 wrote: »

I like this idea

You will also be slightly overweight, non descript looking and have a drinking problem. You will NOT be good in a fight and will be adverse to using weapons.

Also, 80% of the game will be filling out forms worse than IRS tax forms. The other twenty percent will be trying to recall passwords and combinations for safes.

It will be so realistic. The government should fund it to be a training program. Like the Last Starfighter!

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    1UP is doing a a live-stream of a mission tonight at 5 PM PST. It'll be up on Wednesday if you can't watch it live.

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3179225

Tertiee on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So in 3 and a half hours or so?

BlackDove on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah that would be 8PM EST. I can't see myslef watching it as I don't want things spoiled but then there is a part of me that wants to see the gamellay in action in more than quick snippets. Ah decisions.

kal on
    camo_sig.png