As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter (IV/HDR): This game is out RIGHT NOW! Find matches in IRC!

ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA!Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
ssfiv-box1.jpg

24e2x75.jpg

2ch6lxk.jpg21ljx9w.jpgjgo4d1.jpg21jbqep.jpg7237lx.jpgvxkuq9.jpgf40ght.jpg
2wqspau.jpg33csvhz.jpg3wx3t.jpg34jbreb.jpg4ram3d.jpg21b6lb9.jpg11qrct0.jpg
2d0njuh.jpgdzv4nd.jpgnoc174.jpg2rlzo0o.jpg2mxegyf.jpg1108z1f.jpg2m4u5bo.jpg
2cdzy3r.jpg23msisk.jpg2d7uf6b.jpg2ih2lcl.jpgzoewwg.jpg33b1w8n.jpgzluh39.jpg
2pr89xs.jpgfeqb1c.jpg2dsiu8l.jpg2i6ow7r.jpg122n592.jpg2zqrg2r.jpgnmyst1.jpg

Super Street Fighter IV Changes!

Other Changes:
-Achievements!
-Focus attacks are faster.
-Ten brand new characters! Juri and Hakan are brand new, while Cody, Guy, Ibuki, Makoto, Dudley, Adon, DeeJay and T. Hawk all return for another round!
-Will cost $40 USD!
-Brand new opening and closing videos for each character.
-Bonus 11th and 12th costumes for having a SFIV save.
-Each returning character has three costumes confirmed.
-A team battle mode has been added. Up to 8 players are put into a room and divided into teams based on points. It's possible to have a 7v1 in this set-up!
-An 8 player "Endless Battle" online mode has been added. Players not fighting can spectate and comment via voice chat. No points are won/loss in this mode.
-Replays can always be saved.
-Replay channels have been added to watch and discuss matches with others.
-A tournament mode will be added later as DLC. Will allow 8 players, voice chat, save replays (even one's that you didn't play in), and offer titles for the winners.
-Each character has two Ultra's now and are selected before a match begins.
-Roster unlocked from start. No unlocking required.
-All online modes will have blind select. The cursor sound has been removed as well.
-New intro song.
-Shipping April 28, 2010.

A Penny Arcade SSFIV RanBat?!
ChaosHat wrote: »
I figured I'd take this time to present my ideas for our Super Street Fighter RanBat that I've had bouncing around in my head. What does RanBat stand for? RANking BATtle.

Players will be grouped into small round robin lobbies. All players will play all other players in their lobby, the player with the best record will advance. The top eight players after the round robin mode of the tournament will advance to single elimination playoff bracketing. All players advancing to the top eight will earn one point. For every match won after that, advancing players will earn another two points, to a maximum of seven points for the champion. Points will accumulate week to week, to set up a player ranking.

Battles during the round robin period will be one game best 3 of 5 rounds. This is to streamline a round robin system in a lobby format. Battles in the playoff period will be done as best of three games, which are best of three rounds a piece. The losing player may change characters at will between games, the winning player must continue to play the same character.

The RanBat will be divided into seasons that will terminate...whenever I/we feel like it. The first season commences on 4/29. Season 1 rules/schedule:
  • Tuesday night doubles, thursday night singles! Starting at 9PM eastern!
  • Top 8 point structure (could change to top 16 if attendance is mindblowingly high).
  • New characters ONLY!

You will need a reliable teammate for tuesdays, if they don't show, you can't play! Team battles described here!

So, if you have feedback or ideas, please, have at them.

Where to watch SF
Tournaments and matches:
Arcade Infinity's Channel
FADC's Channel
Gooteck's Channel

Non Match Info:
Vesper Arcade All trials complete.
All character intros, endings and rival battles (well most of them).
Entire Super OST And a lot of other game music.

SSFIV Gameplay:
Hakf's Channel

So you're thinking about buying a fightstick...
Just buy a god damn TE. Don't ask in the thread, don't second guess it, don't read reviews online, don't poll your friends. Do you know what everyone is going to tell you? GO BUY A GOD DAMN TE. You know what people will say if you ask if you should get an SE? Save yourself the trouble and buy a TE. And then you'll be like "Why is the TE so much better than the SE?" and we'll all say "The buttons suck and you'll have to replace them and it just saves a lot of time and probably money just to get the TE." And then you'll ask us "But what about a Hori stick? I heard those are good." And then everyone will say "Yeah those are okay but they're not as good as the TE or even the SE because it's harder to mod" and then some silly goose will say "Hey, I like Hori's" just to confuse you but then someone else will be like "Yeah Hori's are fine but is it better then the TE?" and the original silly goose will be like "Oh no nothing is better than the TE" because nothing is better than the TE. And then you'll ask us why the TE is so good and the answers will invariably involve the modability, out of the box professional quality parts and the overall sexiness and build quality. But then of course because you have to make this difficult you'll say "I can't use Japanese parts because I need an octo gate, I can't use a square gate, also I need a bat top and some sort of adapter to make it work and blah blah blah" and invariably someone will come in and link you all the things you just mentioned above and tell you where to buy it from.

So I just saved the whole thread like three pages of people trying to be the first to recommend the TE and the ridiculous questions that come with it. JUST. BUY. THE. T. E.
Links and Resources

Here are a few sites that can really help you get better at Street Fighter games.
Lots of regular SF4 content:
Character Stats/Frame Data
Each character is different in their moves, speed, and sizes but did you know that they also have different health, stun, dash, and jump values? The biggest difference between the characters is their health levels. The bigger, slower characters (Zangief, Rufus, etc) take more damage to KO while the smaller, faster characters (Chun Li, El Fuerte) take less damage to KO. The two powerful boss characters, Seth and Akuma, take a lot more damage than the rest of the cast due to their offensive abilities and options they have available to them. For a complete breakdown of the characters statistical differences, check out this link:

Shoryuken Wiki

Clicking on the links from each character will provide the immensely useful (or potentially boring) frame data for that character.

The PA Fighting Game Community!

We have a friends list, you can access it here!
First, enter your data here, using this form!
Then, you can view the list of players here.

If you're on the 360, you can add the metafriend: A PA SSF4

We also made a super cool IRC room! #PAFighting at irc.slashnet.org:6667 You can use this web client if you're SUPER UNCOOL.

Know anything I'm missing? Let me know and I'll add it.

Thanks to MNC Dover, OP originator.

ChaosHat on

• aBlankaBlank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    new thread smell!

aBlank on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Will this one last until launch? Let's find out!

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TheUnsane1 wrote: »
    Will this one last until launch? Let's find out!

If I had to wager, I'd say it will. Although I thought the last one would too.

ChaosHat on
  • Folken FanelFolken Fanel anime af When's KoFRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So close to Dee-Jay shenanigans.....

Folken Fanel on
    Twitter: Folken_fgc Steam: folken_ XBL: flashg03 PSN: folken_PA SFV: folken_
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    Characters I hate:

Everybody @Folken Fanel plays as.
  • KrisKris Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So close to Cody boredom!

Kris on
  • Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bizazedo wrote: »
    i'm probably just terrible at crossing up, but I have some trouble getting shotos with it, and i've been told by some people i've played when i was very crossup-happy that i should be careful, since i would get punished for it by a really solid shoto

Properly timed cross ups will beat shotos. I love fighting shotos, because every single one tries to dp and gets raped by the jumping hk. Rarely, I'll get hit with a dp, but I always blame myself if I do.

The only ones I have to use j.mk to avoid getting raped are Guile and it seems to work better against Honda as well (although I can still hit him with j.hk, st.hk a lot too).

As you saw, I use both, though. All depends where I am and the angle I'm coming in at if I use j.hk or j.mk to cross.

They were fun fights. I'll always click Ready until I either have to go or the other guy quits (unless he's horrible). You weren't bad, it was fun seeing how you'd try and adapt and to adapt to that adaptation, etc.

I don't know if I showed you anything, hope I did.

i think i gained quite a bit out of that, actually. i have to practice the ambiguous j.mk crossup. it was a little creepy how your j.mk was always ambiguous. also when trying to cope with your footsies i was forced to use s.HK more predictively, and to use EX scissors as a reversal to get through your wall of feet. i also learned that EX psycho crusher is even more annoying than i thought! i could never get you in the corner without meter.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Nick TNick T Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Title of the thread sums things up quite well. And this was delayed a month right? We should have clocked several hundred hours on Super by now.

Nick T on
    PSN: ConvicNic
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am in agreement with the title of this thread.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seriously.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I might be late in getting SSF4 due to funds. Maybe a week or so.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What this isn't out yet?

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
  • TrippyJingTrippyJing Moses supposes his toeses are roses. But Moses supposes erroneously.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fig-D: You've got a little Ibuki on you.

TrippyJing on
    b1ehrMM.gif
  • BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

i think i gained quite a bit out of that, actually. i have to practice the ambiguous j.mk crossup. it was a little creepy how your j.mk was always ambiguous. also when trying to cope with your footsies i was forced to use s.HK more predictively, and to use EX scissors as a reversal to get through your wall of feet. i also learned that EX psycho crusher is even more annoying than i thought! i could never get you in the corner without meter.

Haha, I was pleased when you started EX Scissoring through my "wall of feet". It finally slowed my rush down a bit and I had to be more selective and careful about just trying to bull rush and eat those feet. Definitely had to keep an eye on your meter more.

You are correct, S. HK is an awesome kick anyways, but when used predictively, it's even more of a beast. I may have been somewhat flippant before when I was like STANDING HK with Sagat, but if it's used predictively it can stuff a lot of his stuff. It HAS to be predictive, though, or you might eat something..painful.

You did a good job using it as anti-air, though, don't see that as much.

EX Psycho Crusher is awesome, but it's useful for movement too. A lot of times it's good to use light scissor kick, EX Psycho Crusher, or the slide for movement and position. Maybe not 50% of the time, but I use them a LOT just to maneuver on the field and don't expect to hit. I know, use meter to move? Dictator builds it up quick, who cares.

EX Crusher is fantastic for escaping the corner or just "resetting" the fight if you're getting pressured too much.

Bizazedo on
    XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • SlayerVinSlayerVin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I hear tell they're making a new Street Fighter...

SlayerVin on
    BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS!
    edited April 2010
    I do so love that putting a colon after my name results in a D: .

Guess you can't tell which character I'm excited to play in Super, huh?
    It's T. Hawk.
    Alright, Ibuki too.

Fig-D on
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kris wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR8RMUDFdFU

DaSniper91 on
  • PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Looking forward to this. Still debating on whether to main Cammy or Juri. Cammy's been my main for years, but I'm happy that there's a Korean fighter in SF now. Guess I'll alternate for now.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • SilentBobXSilentBobX Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    DaSniper91 wrote: »
    Kris wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR8RMUDFdFU

Man, after watching this, it surprises me Cody is so lax in SSF4.

It must be a thrill when he has to use the restroom. :P

SilentBobX on
    small.png
    edited April 2010
    DESSICUUUUUHHHHHH

Evil Multifarious on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    New thread....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgoXUzIwXk0

Can't wait to Jaguar you mofo's all over the place.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey guys, guys, don't freak, bu I think Dudley's gonna be in it...

oh wait

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wasn't there an interview that mentioned the prospect of dlc character addons? Wouldn't this cause more of a split? They would have to be available as a patch download so that you can at least play against them even if you can't play them yourself. It would add extra incentive to buy them as well.

stigweard on
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh. Fires ruining everything lately. Apartment fire burned down my cousin's whole building and she lost everything. We think that her cat didn't even make it out. She's moving in with us and unfortunately it looks like my SSF4 fund is going to take a hit. I don't even want to think of waiting extra time to play this damn game, but can you all at least join me in cursing the elements?

Also Guy's voice in that video is more astounding...

Kinderparty on
  • blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PROFOUND SADNESS

blaze_zero on
  • The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugh. Fires ruining everything lately. Apartment fire burned down my cousin's whole building and she lost everything. We think that her cat didn't even make it out. She's moving in with us and unfortunately it looks like my SSF4 fund is going to take a hit. I don't even want to think of waiting extra time to play this damn game, but can you all at least join me in cursing the elements?

Also Guy's voice in that video is more astounding...

The elements have been cursed don't worry.

That video is pretty great.

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

There is one setup that Biz likes that always surprised me.

j.HK cross up, s.HK all blocked. Right after he will jump again and j.MK, this never looks like it will cross up but always did. I'm pretty sure he could switch up to j.HP and have it hit in front too.

solsovly on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Any word on if the 11th color can be unlocked via another method and people who owned SF4 just get it for free at the start, or if it really is exclusive to owners of SF4?

Lars on
  • TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lars wrote: »
    Any word on if the 11th color can be unlocked via another method and people who owned SF4 just get it for free at the start, or if it really is exclusive to owners of SF4?

I would assume going out and picking up a copy of SF4 for $5 a week after super comes out would net you the save file and the costume color.

Taramoor on
  • DaSniper91DaSniper91 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Getting air thrown out of spiral arrow by Vega is the most infuriating thing ever in HDR.

DaSniper91 on
  • chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So I got to play the game. It was on a typical standing tv with two PS3 controllers. I haven't touched a Playstation pad in forever and it didn't really help me enjoy the game.

For some reason, I think everything looks better and runs smoother. But I may have just been excited. Played a little cody and watched others play pretty much the rest of the new characters. I wish I could have just stolen the set up.

So sick of waiting.

chadwalk on
    edited April 2010
    DaSniper91 wrote: »
    Getting air thrown out of spiral arrow by Vega is the most infuriating thing ever in HDR.

The first time you hooligan throw him out of a wall dive you'll forget all about it.

Taramoor on
    edited April 2010
    I'm pobably going to hop on SFIV (360) in a moment here. Throw me an invite if you'd like to join me for a few games. I do need to focus on IV though, so I'll probably stay away from HDR this time.

Fig-D on
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I still only have SFIV for PC, but I'll be on the PS3 train for SSF IV.
    (Ibuki and Sakura in one game, how can I choose!?)

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • chadwalkchadwalk Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ill play fig.

chadwalk on
    edited April 2010
    solsovly wrote: »

j.HK cross up, s.HK all blocked. Right after he will jump again and j.MK, this never looks like it will cross up but always did. I'm pretty sure he could switch up to j.HP and have it hit in front too.

i fell victim to that a number of times. the crossup is the most ambiguous i've ever seen. it's better than Gen's.

i feel like you could walk towards him when he jumps and avoid the crossup, possibly throw him on landing, but the crossup is so deep that it might hit you anyways.

Evil Multifarious on
  • solsovlysolsovly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

i fell victim to that a number of times. the crossup is the most ambiguous i've ever seen. it's better than Gen's.

i feel like you could walk towards him when he jumps and avoid the crossup, possibly throw him on landing, but the crossup is so deep that it might hit you anyways.

I wouldn't say it's better than Gens. His jump arc is a lot longer and higher. It's just ambiguous. Gen can set his up quicker, faster and safer.

solsovly on
    edited April 2010

I wouldn't say it's better than Gens. His jump arc is a lot longer and higher. It's just ambiguous. Gen can set his up quicker, faster and safer.

Well, the confirmed change to Gen's jump arc should take care of that.

:cry:

Taramoor on
    edited April 2010
    chadwalk wrote: »
    Ill play fig.

Sorry chadwalk (and ChaosHat) I was throwing down with aBlank.

My standard 360 pad is dying on me so I finally sat down and played someone with my TE stick. God I suck. We instantly went from pretty even games to aBlank nailing it to me 25 to zero.

My execution takes a dive, that's a given, but what's more infuriating is that when I can't pull of the moves I want to I get frustrated and that's when my fundamentals get tossed aside as well. I did so many AAs on waleup that I lost count. Ultras too. I would do the motions so that all I had to do was press the button(s) if he went for something, but then I'd press the button(s) anyway out of habit and eat damage.

Also a whole lot of jumping. And holding FAs too long.

Ugh.

I need more stick practice. Or I need to buy a new controller and go back to pad. I'm not sure which.

Fig-D on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stick with the stick.

Play Ryu for like a week straight.

Then go back to your old character.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425