As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

• Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Olivaw wrote: »
    I don't buy that the "SMART" system will work nearly as well as they say it will

And I don't buy all their big talk about "combining genres" or whatever

And I don't really like the look they're going for much at all

So basically I'm not very interested in this game!

But I'd like to be proven wrong

Eh, I've heard enough positive about SMART so far to give them the benefit of the doubt until I can get my hands on it. Sure it's laced with marketing BS, but that doesn't mean it's not a good movement paradigm.

I agree on the "combining genres" malarkey - nothing they've shown or talked about has given even a inkling that this is more than just marketing speak for "Our single player is just like multiplayer, but with bots".

Wait, why are you posting in here again? ;-)

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Wasn't there supposed to be a feature where players could jump into a single-player game (if the host allowed it) and seamlessly turn it into co-op or versus? Like you could start a co-op game and players would be matchmaked into the opposing team. The way they talk about it now, it seems like single-player and multiplayer are separate things.

-Tal on
    PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    More like co-op and SP are the same thing, except that you can also have humans on the other team too

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    This Hooked Gamers thing talks about SMART
    When I ran off to join the battle, I found that the controls were very responsive and well designed. I just always forgot to press the Smooth Motion Across Random Terrain (S.M.A.R.T.) button when I wanted to jump over something. After dying a couple of times I found myself standing outside a crane that needed to be fixed. I looked up and thought to myself "There's got to be some painfully obvious way to get up there that I'm missing". I was very wrong. "Press the S.M.A.R.T. button and climb up on those boxes" I heard a voice behind me say. I ran up to them holding down the aforementioned button and sure enough, my character ran smoothly up onto that box.

Once I found out how to use that feature, it became a vital part of the gameplay. It functions so well that I was in awe of the amount of innovation it brought to the game.

The same guy spoke highly of the multi/co-op in the same article too.

I imagine the co-op/multi will be awesome, but I doubt single-player will be that great. I could be wrong, I don't know, but if you use the same character through everything, I don't see how playing alone when you could be playing with people is going to be nearly as much fun. Some of the people who played it mentioned the bots being really good and playing like people, so I'm not saying it will be bad, just a little dull maybe.

But hey, this is character-customizer gun-modder program comes with a neat game that has something like parkour in it! That is all I need.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Brink Will be Playable at PAX!

I hope some forumers get to play it and give their impressions. Also, some new footage would be nice.

might not be able to get footage but HELL yes! I'll play for sure, I moved to Canada 4 years ago and miss the traceur scene so I'm very interested to see how the SMART system actually handles.

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    When I ran off to join the battle, I found that the controls were very responsive and well designed. I just always forgot to press the Smooth Motion Across Random Terrain (S.M.A.R.T.) button when I wanted to jump over something. After dying a couple of times I found myself standing outside a crane that needed to be fixed. I looked up and thought to myself "There's got to be some painfully obvious way to get up there that I'm missing". I was very wrong. "Press the S.M.A.R.T. button and climb up on those boxes" I heard a voice behind me say. I ran up to them holding down the aforementioned button and sure enough, my character ran smoothly up onto that box.

Once I found out how to use that feature, it became a vital part of the gameplay. It functions so well that I was in awe of the amount of innovation it brought to the game.

I imagine the co-op/multi will be awesome, but I doubt single-player will be that great. I could be wrong, I don't know, but if you use the same character through everything, I don't see how playing alone when you could be playing with people is going to be nearly as much fun. Some of the people who played it mentioned the bots being really good and playing like people, so I'm not saying it will be bad, just a little dull maybe.

But hey, this is character-customizer gun-modder program comes with a neat game that has something like parkour in it! That is all I need.

I just refuse to believe anything I hear about that system until I play it for myself

Because I can see in my mind the following scenario: I need to get up on a box or leap over a thing or climb a wall, and I just hammer the button and jump repeatedly as the system fails to register that I want to go to there and then I get shot and die

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There's, uh, plenty of footage of it in action.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So. This gives a vibe of being a cross between TF2, MW2, Mirror's Edge and like, APB (without the suck).

This of course means I'm fucking stoked. Objective-based multiplay with defined class roles and customizable loadouts and appearances? 16 players? Co-op? Experience gains?

Fuck yes.

although that one rather spammy grenade launcher that the soldier class got sorta makes me a little apprehensive. However, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt on this one point 'cause this looks like it'll be a great candidate for my online FPS addiction alongside WoW next year when I finally get sick of MW2.

Senshi on
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I just refuse to believe anything I hear about that system until I play it for myself

Because I can see in my mind the following scenario: I need to get up on a box or leap over a thing or climb a wall, and I just hammer the button and jump repeatedly as the system fails to register that I want to go to there and then I get shot and die

In fact... you hold the same button that is your sprint and just run at what you wanna vault over. Or climb up, or slide under.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arthil wrote: »

In fact... you hold the same button that is your sprint and just run at what you wanna vault over. Or climb up, or slide under.

And again, I refuse to believe it is that simple

Game developers have trouble enough making decent enemy AI, let alone having the game itself be smart enough and responsive enough to just know where I want to go and what I want to do

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There... there are videos showing said system in action, doing exactly what I just said.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    This is going to be a rehash of that playboy "argument", isn't it :(

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Arthil wrote: »
    There... there are videos showing said system in action, doing exactly what I just said.

Developer walkthroughs don't count

Nothin' counts until I get to play it

I've just been burned too many times, dog

Developers all like "oh yeah this feature we have totally revolutionizes x/makes y way better/is an awesome way to traverse z" and then I play it and it's crap

Forgive me for being a doubting thomas but I gots to go with what I know

Olivaw on
    signature-deffo.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The proof will be in the pudding of course. We'll have some good first-hand accounts after PAX, but even still Splash Damage better release a demo of the full game.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I don't know, didn't the backlash in the beta by the BF2 people who didn't get RTCW style objectives hurt ETQW?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited August 2010

Okay. See you back in the thread in six months.

Echo on
  • Options
    SenshiSenshi BALLING OUT OF CONTROL WavefrontRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Any more videos that I can watch to satisfy my HUNGER for this game?

Senshi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Senshi wrote: »
    Any more videos that I can watch to satisfy my HUNGER for this game?

Consider your hunger sated. At least for now ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XA1PiDX-kyY

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    corin7corin7 San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Honestly the feature doesn't sound like anything more than the evolution of the A button in Gears. A context sensitive action button.

corin7 on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Man, every new piece of media just feeds my excitement for this.

Also, does anyone get the impression that Richard Ham jumps out of bed shouting "Fuck Yeah!" fully clothed and perfectly groomed?

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I get the impression that Paul Wedgewood does the same thing.

Here is a new diary:
    Endless Horizons

It talks about the visual style, and shows gruff middle-aged dudes with mustaches! As character options!

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Carbon just posted that diary a couple posts above yours lol.

Hard to believe this is the doom 3 engine... really hard, it looks amazing. Love everything I am seeing so far.

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    wait what

That's Doom 3?

but

but

mindblown.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Pulled from wiki:

Its technology is id Tech 4 with a new rendering framework and improved support for multiple CPU cores

It makes sense Quake Wars was id tech 4 modified. If they can do this with tech 4 imagine what they will do with tech 5? Whats the over under on bethesda buying these guys if Brink sells well?

corin7 on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ah well.

The context sensitive SMART thing sounds so awesome. Hold it and look down while running towards a rail-- slide under it. Hold it while running towards a rail looking straight on-- hurdle it. You can manually enhance it somehow, something to do with pressing jump or crouch at the right moment to preserve more of your momentum I think.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DversedDversed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I really really hope the multiplayer for PC is similar to enemy territory.
    I missed the bus with Team Fortress 2. Now that I have a decent PC, I hope the multiplayer is as intense as ET
    I do not want to play this game on a console.

Dversed on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, I'm hoping the "seamless" stuff works just as good on PC. They're clearly talking about consoles primarily when they talk about it.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    corin7 wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

Honestly the feature doesn't sound like anything more than the evolution of the A button in Gears. A context sensitive action button.

Except of course with this system, you don't have to rely on chest-high walls all over your level for it to work :P

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I don't see why it's so hard to believe this smart motion thing

assassin's creed did much the same thing

I also don't see the point of having terrain to navigate if you just hold a button and it does it for you.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    BoogdudBoogdud Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I also don't see the point of having terrain to navigate if you just hold a button and it does it for you.

Probably has something to do with multiple levels of terrain each containing a possible threat (player). You're not exactly looking above/above to the right-left/below/etc. if there is no terrain to traverse. With this system, it seems like you could have multiple threats from just about any location.

In other games you know (bridge/ledge/hill: X) is going to be the place to look for people because that's the only viable option they have. ie) the prime 'camp spot'. It seems if done right with the brinkitudeness aspect they keep talking about, there would be multiple-multiple possibilities for cover/assault spots.

Boogdud on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Speaking of attacking from odd places, I wonder if you can hang off of ledges and shoot people from above? Have we seen anyone stay in a "hanging" position?

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    Speaking of attacking from odd places, I wonder if you can hang off of ledges and shoot people from above? Have we seen anyone stay in a "hanging" position?

I'd kill for something like that. It makes a light scout type character with some badass pistols and maybe a SMG suggest new possibilities. Speaking of light/med/heavy characters I hope everyone doesn't traverse the same terrain the same way. A lightly armed and armored small framed character hopefully flies across stuff that a heavy may have to take some time to traverse.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Drake wrote: »

I'd kill for something like that. It makes a light scout type character with some badass pistols and maybe a SMG suggest new possibilities. Speaking of light/med/heavy characters I hope everyone doesn't traverse the same terrain the same way. A lightly armed and armored small framed character hopefully flies across stuff that a heavy may have to take some time to traverse.

They've already stated that there are areas that only certain classes can reach. Whether that is just light classes being able to go higher and jump farther, or if that means heavier classes can break through walls or something, they haven't divulged yet.

CarbonFire on
  • Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Drake wrote: »

They've already stated that there are areas that only certain classes can reach. Whether that is just light classes being able to go higher and jump farther, or if that means heavier classes can break through walls or something, they haven't divulged yet.

Yeah, I think in one of the earlier videos he states specifically that the big, bulky characters will be tougher but move slower and won't climb as good or jump as high, while the small, light-framed guys will be just the opposite.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I don't see why it's so hard to believe this smart motion thing

assassin's creed did much the same thing

Hitting jump or crouch at the right time is supposed to be better. You hold the button for SMART and hit the jump/crouch to do the maneuvers fater/better somehow.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited September 2010

It will introduce a pleasingly vertical dimension to combat.

In current FPS games combat is played on a plane. The is only broken up by players using predefined routes to take "high ground", these routes are easy to defend at choke points (ladders, stairs, lifts). Hopefully SMART will make it easy to shift position from high to low and open out the possibilities for taking, defending and assaulting high ground.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited September 2010

It will introduce a pleasingly vertical dimension to combat.

In current FPS games combat is played on a plane. The is only broken up by players using predefined routes to take "high ground", these routes are easy to defend at choke points (ladders, stairs, lifts). Hopefully SMART will make it easy to shift position from high to low and open out the possibilities for taking, defending and assaulting high ground.

Z Axis action is one of the things that made Tribes so fucking awesome. Tribes gave people access to all kinds of mobility right out of the box. If you spent time with the game, you'd learn to do all kinds of crazy sick shit. Skiing, mortar jumping, you name it. It seems to me that they are taking this in the same direction. You can hit a button and it'll get you where you want to go. But if you read the terrain, and use crouch and jump properly, you'll get there faster or whatever.

Intuitive, easy entry to the system (unlike what the Unreal Tournament system introduced with its fumbly double tapping) that can grow with the players skill and experience. Anyway, that's what I hope we are getting.

Drake on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I wonder what other mutli modes will be included.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    If smart is half as fun as the shit you could do in tribes, this game will be excellent.

Evil Multifarious on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    If smart is half as fun as the shit you could do in tribes, this game will be excellent.

Amenbrotherhallelujah. No other FPS has given me that much of an adrenaline rush just from moving around the map.

And the knowledge that danger is everywhere was unbeatable. Drop your guard for a second and pay the price. So awesome.

I'd beat myself silly with a ten pound sledge to get some of that fun back.

Drake on
This discussion has been closed.