As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Brink] and you'll miss the May 10th release date

hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
Current list of PAers planning on purchasing Brink, with PA handle first, followed by platform specific moniker:

hatedinamerica - Captain Dino
Skull2185 - Skull 2185
Entaru - Phenyhelm
ObiFett - Obifett
warder808 - Rezin8r
Dashui - Vacorsis
Shadowfire - Windrunner
Moridin889 - Moridin889
Kadoken - JamaiconBacn
mynameisguido - VonVogler
Missing a Legg - Missing a Legg
skibo8826 - mashbaugh67
Trevor - TheMegaTrevor

PS3
DouglasDanger - DouglasDanger

PC
SMARTWANG Steamgroup

edit: Shiny New interview with Paul Wedgwood. It's 13 minutes long and shows a bunch of new footage, that looks pretty sweet. You should probably watch it asap.

BRINK.jpg

The website

Anyway, Brink is first-person shooter developed by Splash-Damage that takes place on some fallen utopian city that lost contact with the rest of the planet after some sort of disaster or something (presumably). Honestly, the plot isn't a huge concern of mine so I'm not 100% on the details.
You can play as one of two warring factions: dirty rebels and righteous police.

So far, I'll admit, it sounds pretty generic....BUT WAIT, there's more! Did I mention that you can do sweet parkour, kinda like Mirror's Edge (but not as in depth, clearly)? No? Well, you can! Wow!

The other thing that makes this game stand out somewhat, in my mind, is that you can play it alone in the usual campaign style, or you can play it co-operatively with friends fighting along side with you, OR you can play in full online mode where everyone in the game is another player, including the enemies. You use the same character throughout all of these modes, making switching between modes pretty easy (I imagine).

Game's still somewhat far off and I really have no idea what I'm talking about so I'm just gonna show you some awesome videos now; picture's worth a thousand words, and all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-kVnw4RA80

This is, hands down, one of the coolest CG trailers I've ever seen. It's so stylish and the way it segues from person to person across the battle is great.

No, you cannot play as a female. Why? Because, that's why.

Now, some gameplay and other miscellany.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qT0vOEjF-ig&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2rjVqgTp7w&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aq8eHNC1IQ4&feature=player_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q21y36x4dsc

Container City Preview

EDIT: new article here http://www.fragworld.org/frag/community-blogs/brink-info-pt-1-story-gameplay-smart-classes-and-objectives.html

hatedinamerica on

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This game looks amazing, by the way

I prefer the Mirror's Edge approach more still

But for a game that's also going to focus on gunplay, this is the best way to do it

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    kalkal Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw a multplayer game play video a while ago and it does really look pretty cool. The teamplay element really seemed to be stressed as it looked like most of the team needs to stick together to get things done which is something that is appealing to me. I'll have to see if I can find the video. I think it was on RPS at some point.

kal on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Pablo the PenguinPablo the Penguin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Just put a link to their site. It's got more than enough information: http://brinkthegame.com/gate/?request=%2F

Pablo the Penguin on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Platforms?

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Platforms?

PC, PS3, 360

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just can't get over the fact that it uses the same engine as Doom 3.

This is probably the multiplayer FPS I'm most looking forward to this year.

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just can't get over the fact that it uses the same engine as Doom 3.

This is probably the multiplayer FPS I'm most looking forward to this year.

Wait. Wait. WAIT.

They're STILL using the old Doom 3 engine? For this?

D:

Didn't they learn their lesson with Quake Wars?

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    What was wrong with Quake Wars?

Oh, and I even have this crap on pre order. Anticipation.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Wow, I hadn't heard of this before. It looks really neat, I hope they manage to really polish the controls. That's really what is going to make or break the game I think.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • Options
    CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    What was wrong with Quake Wars?

Oh, and I even have this crap on pre order. Anticipation.

Quake Wars the game was mostly good. A little too true to the original Enemy Territory in some ways, but a solid game.

But I hated how it played with the Doom 3 engine. Terrible draw distances (for players and objects, not terrain) and sometimes very herky-jerky network code (everything is tied to the server tickrate). Doom 3 was hardly designed as a multiplayer-focused game (the first iteration of the multiplayer was 4 player peer-to-peer), but it's been bootstrapped time and time again to try and make it work as a multiplayer engine every since.

Now it's possible that Splash Damage has managed to make Doom 3 sing with so many years tweaking it. But they really have to prove it to me.

CarbonFire on
    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The problem in QW was that everything was tied to the 30 FPS tick rate, making it seem jerky, since most reasonably modern computers could run at much more than that. I still can't quite get my head around how this game is supposed to be both solo, multi and co-op at the same time. That is, I know it's team MP, but co-op as in PvE as opposed to PvP matches

And as for thread titles: On the [Brink]?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    sounds good to me! ooh actually..let's go with Living on the [Brink]

edit:

So, what system are people thinking they're gonna get it for? I'm leaning towards 360 since I have a friend who'll probably get it on there as well, but if a bunch of PA folks go PS3 I could easily go that way too.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Seems interesting.

If I do decide to get it, it'll be for 360.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I like the idea that I could go from being a frontline soldier to a sneaky sniper on the fly, depending on the situation. Also, covering and supporting fire seem to be huge deals in this game.

As for system, I will probably have both PS3 and 360 by the time this is released, and will choose which version I purchase based on how many people I know that will be getting it on the same console.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd still like to see some actual gameplay beyond the movement tutorial. I hate it when publishers delay proper footage for so long, especially since demo impressions have been almost uniformly positive.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    AlazullAlazull Your body is not a temple, it's an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've seen several gameplay videos myself, and I think they have them on GameStop even.

Alazull on
    User name Alazull on Steam, PSN, Nintenders, Epic, etc.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There was that one series of containter city clips that was mentioned in the OP, but is there anything else out there?

And also, I'm wondering if it would be possible to put in the OP in big bold letters that it's being developed by Splash Damage, NOT Bethesda, who's only publishing it? Because even the major blogs seem to have problems understanding that

EDIT: these ones
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmKZchM0AiE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T--G56pv-3U
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1UWtGCsd_SI

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, I hadn't seen those. Thanks aplenty.

Edit:

WTF is this shit Youtube, I have the newest version of Flash installed.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, this looks pretty cool. Can definitely see some ET base here, not a bad thing. Digging the art style as well. Going to have to watch this.

Mechanical on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    this looks like it could be a ton of fun. i saw the trailer when it first came out and thought it looked neat but was waiting on some gameplay footage before putting it on the hype list. and hey, heres a bunch of gameplay footage that looks sweet. so that worked out well.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    KlatBlutigKlatBlutig Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think it's been mentioned before elsewhere but the art direction seems reminiscent of shadowrun. I'm eagerly awaiting Brink, though I'll be playing it on PS3.

The movement system looks promising, and the character customization looks to be excellent.

KlatBlutig on

Klat%20Blutig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've heard it described alternatively as remenicient of Mirrors Edge and Killzone 2 within a couple posts, as almost paradoxical as it seems

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I feel special that I enjoyed the gun mechanics from the last few levels if mirror's edge
    urban ninjas couldn't be slowed down by ammo clips and light clothing would not stop bullets

RIGHT now I am wearing the brink shirt I got at pad and look forward to playing this and I am so happy to see a studio choose style over realism, well, another studio, isn't that right Mr. Heavy?

"BABIES! NOM NOM NOM"

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    Lord_MordjaLord_Mordja Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh cool, I hadn't seen the third part video. One touch that I like is the fact that the devs have remembered that the entire world is not, in fact, American. Voicepacks from all over the world! :D

Lord_Mordja on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I vote next title change: On the [Brink] of love

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hadn't even heard of this game until today and it looks pretty damn cool. I'll be picking it up for the PC because that's where FPS games belong. :P

edit: Note, that was sarcasm, I don't actually give a shit what system anyone buys it on, this is a preemptive shut the fuck up before anyone starts another stupid pc vs console debate.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Interesting character customization. Is there some explanation for the lack of women on this island?

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »
    Interesting character customization. Is there some explanation for the lack of women on this island?

In game? Dunno. Development wise? Save money.

Sheep on
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Reynolds wrote: »

Asexual reproduction. It was part of the plan to make the perfect renewable city. Problem was, every time a guy jerked off, he got pregnant. Its why the population grew from 5,000 to 50,000 so quickly, resulting in the conflict depicted in the game.

Edit: Saw this thread bumped, then saw my 4-month old typo. It's never too later. Never!

Dirty on
  • Options
    Panda4YouPanda4You Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ugggggggggh, the console movement feel of that gameplay video...

Panda4You on
  • Options
    Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Panda4You wrote: »

You mean the slightly more realistic, can't-turn-around-30-times-in-a-second feel? I kind of like that!

Mr_Grinch on
    Steam: Sir_Grinch
    PSN: SirGrinchX
    Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

You mean the slightly more realistic, can't-turn-around-30-times-in-a-second feel? I kind of like that!

There's a fine line between pulling a 1040 in a heartbeat and turning like a slug. Actually, its more like a dmz but thats just nitpicking.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Besides, fuck realism, that shit's extremely overrated. :P

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    CarbonFire wrote: »
    But I hated how it played with the Doom 3 engine. Terrible draw distances (for players and objects, not terrain) and sometimes very herky-jerky network code (everything is tied to the server tickrate). Doom 3 was hardly designed as a multiplayer-focused game (the first iteration of the multiplayer was 4 player peer-to-peer), but it's been bootstrapped time and time again to try and make it work as a multiplayer engine every since.

Now it's possible that Splash Damage has managed to make Doom 3 sing with so many years tweaking it. But they really have to prove it to me.

I'll give you the network code problems, but the draw distance? I was running it as low as possible and I could see people, and objects, across the entire map. The draw distance was the one reason I liked megatexture.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Oh look, some actual coverage:
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1087530p1.html

I don't know, 16 people strikes me as awfully small

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Zoku GojiraZoku Gojira Monster IslandRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »

There's a fine line between pulling a 1040 in a heartbeat and turning like a slug. Actually, its more like a dmz but thats just nitpicking.

Yeah, it'd be great if they put some kind of a sensitivity adjustment in the menu that you can easily access by pressing the start button. And what'd really be great is if game devs had been doing this for the past ten years. That'd be a huge relief.

Zoku Gojira on
    "Because things are the way they are, things will not stay the way they are." - Bertolt Brecht
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Spoit wrote: »
    Oh look, some actual coverage:
    http://uk.xbox360.ign.com/articles/108/1087530p1.html

I don't know, 16 people strikes me as awfully small

Was just coming in here to post that same article and bump this mother.

There are some interesting tidbits in there; like, for example, weapon customization. I had no idea there was any kind of weapon customizing, but apparently you can add scopes, magazines, and other gizmos/accesories.

I'll agree that 16 seems a tad bit small but depending on how the maps are designed it might not even be an issue.

hatedinamerica on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think you guys should watch these videos:

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-brink/700693?type=flv

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/e3-2010-brink/700663?type=flv

Customisation looks awesome, SO MANY GUNS. The shooter gameplay looks a little lightweight but they've got time to improve on it, and it might just be the weapons they're using.

There are lots of neat little aspects like the revive mechanic, also SMART looks like it works well.

Jimmy Marku on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Delayed, BTW.

Which in the end is good since that opens up a few slots on my Holiday of Horror time table.

But I was really lookin forward to this one.

Sheep on
  • Options
    Jimmy MarkuJimmy Marku LondonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I know, I think it's a good thing given how ambitious the game is. They should be able to polish it to a shine.

It's kind of surprising how little attention it gets, considering how good it looks and how lots of people on here go on about wanting fresh games with new ideas.

Jimmy Marku on
This discussion has been closed.