As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Blizzard makes $2,000,000 in 4 hours with a sparkly horse

Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology
product?productId=1100000942&type=3&loc=en-US

from http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3178849
1up.com wrote:
The Blizzard Pet Store is offering two new virtual pets to World of Warcraft players today, one of which has generated over $2 million in sales in its first four hours.

The "Celestial Steed" (right) is, according to its description on the Blizzard Store, "freshly born from the Twisting Nether" and allows players to "travel in style astride wings of pure elemental stardust."

More research is of course necessary but as of press time, it is widely believed that the Celestial Steed may be the fanciest horse ever born.

The fancy horse costs $25 and offers no new abilities to players, only riding as fast as a character's riding skill will enable it to go.

According to wow.com, the download queue as of 1:45 Pacific time was at 80,000. At $25 a pop, this means that this noble steed has generated sales of $2 million since its approximate debut at 9:30 this morning, or around $500,000 an hour.

1UP has reached out to Blizzard for commentary from the horse, and will report back if he is available.

I find this absolutely mindblowing. That horse just made more money than you will probably make in your whole lifetime.

Really, internet? Really?

Just Like That on

• Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jesus fucking christ that's pathetic.

Guess they're making up for a possible IW exodus.

Alegis on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't get it either, but then again I don't play wow so I suppose I wouldn't. Oh well?

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    HunteraHuntera Rude Boy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Probably one of the smartest money making decisions ever.

Congratulations Blizzard, you are very good at making money.

Huntera on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    i would like to shake their marketing head's hand

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember when you had to put time and effort into MMOs to get fancy things.

Kudos to Blizzard though, with a little bit of shame on the people who bought it.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    i would like to shake their marketing head's hand

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

Echo on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Horse armor x 16. Never since Bethesda decided to try this microtransaction business did I imagine it'll get to this.

Keep fighting the good fight, WoW obsessives.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How would you feel if you were the guy that created it? If the artist that designed it makes about 50k a year, then in a matter of hours he created something that generated enough to pay his salary for 40 years.

Talith on
    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Just Like ThatJust Like That Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I don't place any blame on Blizzard for this at all.

But what the fuck, gamers? I cannot make any sense of this.

Just Like That on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Talith wrote: »
    How would you feel if you were the guy that created it? If the artist that designed it makes about 50k a year, then in a matter of hours he created something that generated enough to pay his salary for 40 years.

ask for an advance in payment

and cry to myself knowing it would never happen

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I would really love to see how the WoW/Blizzard apologists defend this one.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    TurboGuard wrote: »

Why do they have to?

Echo on
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh, I don't place any blame on Blizzard for this at all.

But what the fuck, gamers? I cannot make any sense of this.

This really.

I mean you could buy a bunch of full, good games for $25.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wow.jpg

Alegis on
  • Options
    CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fuck me, I need to invest some stock into Blizzard.

Oh wait, Bobby Kotick's glowing devil eyes are behind this. Nevermind then, keep the blood money.

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

What is there to defend?

They offered a good, people bought it.

Good for them.

"Fuck, I hear Coke sold a lot of bottles today. I'd like to hear how the Cocacola people defend this one".

What?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited April 2010
    I spent 12,000 gold for a bike. Eh, care.

Echo on
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ...and live in harmony, harmony, OH LOOOVE!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    edited April 2010

What is there to defend?

They offered a good, people bought it.

Good for them.

"Fuck, I hear Coke sold a lot of bottles today. I'd like to hear how the Cocacola people defend this one".

What?

yeah i honestly have no beef with anyone on this

i just marvel at how good blizzard is at selling stuff

or rather creating an infrastructure for selling things, as the bone behind all of this is WoW, all of the microtransactions is delicious, delicious gravy

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    Wet BanditWet Bandit Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »

Why do they have to?

Yeah, Blizzard did nothing wrong. This mount adds almost literally nothing to the game. It's not like Blizzard is holding back some key feature and charging for it.

The story is the tens of thousands of people willing to pay $25, or half the cost of almost any other full PC game, for a new flying mount, when it's pretty much guaranteed those people already have a half-dozen other flying mounts. Crazy.

Wet Bandit on
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

OH MY GOD PEOPLE ARE SPENDING THEIR MONEY ON TRINKETS

HOW DARE THEY

I liked the piece that correctly surmised that the MW2 map pack was $5 too cheap - Activision would have made TEXA$$$$ instead of TEXA$ if it was a $20 purchase instead of $15

Robman on
  • Options
    TurboGuardTurboGuard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Surely, we are upon the downfall of gaming.

I wish I could butterfly-effect back to the 90's forever.

TurboGuard on
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't find this all that surprising. See: 12 year old kid who spent $1200 on Farmville.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    ...and live in harmony, harmony, OH LOOOVE!

Not as good a game as CANABALT

Some people just wrote off an hour as they fired it up to try and beat their previous high score

Robman on
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, you can get a bit irked about Blizzard having the gall to sell something so useless for such a blatantly retarded price. Just a little bit.

But most of your contempt should be saved for the morons that gobbles this stuff up and justify a market for it in the first place. I understand the concept of status symbols, but come on. A $25 dollar virtual horse! That does nothing!

It's... I dunno. People confuse me.

Zxerol on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thank Activision for probably influencing Blizzard to even set the price up that high.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Zxerol wrote: »
    Yeah, you can get a bit irked about Blizzard having the gall to sell something so useless for such a blatantly retarded price. Just a little bit.

But most of your contempt should be saved for the morons that gobbles this stuff up and justify a market for it in the first place. I understand the concept of status symbols, but come on. A $25 dollar virtual horse! That does nothing!

people buying expensive shirts confuse me

but you don't see an outrage over expensive shirts

let people spend money how they will

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Clearly someone else thought it was worth it. What do you care?

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Come on! The entirety of the entertainment industry! It does nothing!

Except entertain and give people (hopefully) what they paid for.

Seriously, bitching about people paying money for something virtual in a game they're paying money (or paid money) that in itself is virtual is all sorts of meta.

And dumb.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2010

Single digit license plates will sell for over a hundred large quite regularly, for states like California or NY that number goes up a few times. Some are quite literally family heirlooms.

Robman on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    OtakuD00D wrote: »
    Thank Activision for probably influencing Blizzard to even set the price up that high.

The sales suggest the number was far, far too low.

Robman on
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

It doesn't quite do nothing.

Buying it means, outside of the fastest mounts in the game, every character that you have on your account, or will ever make on your account, will always have a mount that scales with your riding skill. You technically never have to worry about buying a mount ever again.

But like was said, 98% of the people who bought this probably already have 50 mounts that they never use because their violet proto-drake is faster than them. But like I said, to say it does nothing isn't entirely accurate. It just saves your a minor amount of in-game gold.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I guess I don't see why everyone finds this so shocking? MMO's, at their core, are about playing dress up with 5000 friends. That many WoW players would spend 25 dollars to have a more pretty dress up accessory doesn't seem shocking or out of bounds at all to me. Some of you are acting pretty silly about this. No one is forcing you, or anyone else, to buy the mount. It's not a requirement to play the game, or even advance. It's just a cosmetic perk that some people found appealing enough to buy it.

To me this is no different than people who buy collectors editions of games for statues, and art books and music CD's. You don't need any of those things, none of them are required to enjoy the game. Neither is this.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kudos to Blizz, more power to them.
    People who bought that are idiots, though.

But Blizz is alright.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    In fact, now that I know it works for all characters, on all servers, on my account, I might buy the mother fucker. Do you know how much gold that would save me over time? A lot more than 25 dollars worth of RTM gold, I can assure you that. (I have a lot of alts).

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »

There were people guessing it was going to be $50 or $100 in the WoW chat thread; simply because there are rare mounts in the collectible card game that sell for that much or more.

People were honestly surprised it only cost $25

This is a hoot to watch.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    ArkanArkan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    In fact, now that I know it works for all characters, on all servers, on my account, I might buy the mother fucker. Do you know how much gold that would save me over time? A lot more than 25 dollars worth of RTM gold, I can assure you that.

about 200-400g a character

Arkan on
    Big, honkin' pile of WoW characters
    I think it's hard for someone not to rage at mario kart, while shouting "Fuck you Donkey Kong. Whose dick did you suck to get all those red shells?"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I have no illusion that I'm a complete and total consumer whore when I bought it.

And I have no regrets about it. I've paid for MMO's monthly (sometimes more than one MMO at a time) for about 8 years straight now.

Plus I still buy single purchase games throughout those years. The idea of paying a bit for something I know I'm going to get life out of and I have already payed many hundreds of dollars for already doesn't seem that out of the ordinary.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    hatersgonnahate.jpg

Against both Blizzard, and the players. Stop shitting on people having fun, and on people making money off people having fun.

Robman on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Robman wrote: »

There were people guessing it was going to be $50 or $100 in the WoW chat thread; simply because there are rare mounts in the collectible card game that sell for that much or more.

People were honestly surprised it only cost $25

This is a hoot to watch.

WoW people scare me. This is the MMOG equivalent of gaudy jewelry except even less people will care because it will be freaking common.

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.