As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I rock my 200mm to compensate for the [PHOTO]

• saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    Antihippy, those are all good tries. I think your main problem is that you're using a light source which is too small and that is giving you hard shadows and small, harsh specular highlights - these are both most apparent in the cupcakes and cherries. Try a bigger light source such as a softbox, umbrella or even bounce your light off of a big piece of white paper. You may also want to try a secondary light source to brighten up shadows. The mushroom especially could benefit from a secondary light source.

XBL: heavenkils
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    Aldo wrote: »
    The first few look tasty! the last two look like they're made with a different setup, which is a shame. The last one could use a bit more light and contrast and the second to last one has that bit of whipped cream in the bottom right corner that looks a bit overblown on my screen and it could also use a bit more light, especially on the cupcakes themselves.

Also, is your signature a picture of the ill-fated Japanese hip-hop producer Nujabi? He's cool, I love his music.

It's Nujabes, but yes. :P He will be forever missed.

Yeah, I had some trouble trying to manipulate the lighting in some instances to get it to look right. Still have plenty to learn.
    saltiness wrote: »
    Antihippy, those are all good tries. I think your main problem is that you're using a light source which is too small and that is giving you hard shadows and small, harsh specular highlights - these are both most apparent in the cupcakes and cherries. Try a bigger light source such as a softbox, umbrella or even bounce your light off of a big piece of white paper. You may also want to try a secondary light source to brighten up shadows. The mushroom especially could benefit from a secondary light source.

Yeah, this not really an excuse or anything, but I'm currently using this setup with $6 lamps and I'm still learning how to properly utilise it to create the lighting I want. I might have to build a softbox for those lamps.

7439530338_c740b9de8d_n.jpg
    _DSC4342 by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

Also, got to go fishing the other day, and I took some nature shots to try my hand at B&W manipulation in photoshop. Also exploring capturing interesting tree shapes.

7521416264_5d47be9b3a_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0068B&W by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7521409972_b26204e8f9_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0115B&W by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7521397514_a82051bae3_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0125B&W by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7521403714_239eef5c87_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0120B&W by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7521392744_82251c3b3b_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0129B&W by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7521376342_48f628faef_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0133edit by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

7521411694_72aa4f7c8d_z.jpg
    Fishing_day_070712_0107b&W by Deng Feng Loke, on Flickr

The last one was a practice at trying to rescue a really badly shot photo.

10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    Oh hey photo thread.

I'm going to put some pictures in you.

_JPH6079.jpg

_JPH8361.jpg

_JPH7655.jpg

_JPH8377.jpg

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Do we have a camera hardware thread? I think I've come to a decision on what I want to pick up in a few months but I'd love to see if anyone has any suggestions as to something similar.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    Do we have a camera hardware thread? I think I've come to a decision on what I want to pick up in a few months but I'd love to see if anyone has any suggestions as to something similar.
    Right here in this thread, good sir.

• ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    Haha, Jamp I was just using your photography as an example for a friend the other day. Love #'s 2&3. Both have great lines/comp.

edited July 2012
    Sonofa double post.

Prospicience on
  • JAmp5JAmp5 Registered User regular
    No way! *Swoon* thanks man, I'm glad you like 'em.

• maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So I don't quite feel like springing for a DSLR yet and even the interchangable lens cameras are a bit more than I want to get into right now, so I've decided on the Fujifilm X10. Anybody around here own or use one?

camera-front-angled.jpg

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • shwaipshwaip Registered User regular
    So I don't quite feel like springing for a DSLR yet and even the interchangable lens cameras are a bit more than I want to get into right now, so I've decided on the Fujifilm X10. Anybody around here own or use one?

camera-front-angled.jpg

The upcoming sony rx-100 is supposed to be pretty sweet. I'm probably going to pick one up for travelling.

• PorphyroPorphyro Registered User new member
    I'm just getting into photography but a friend has already asked me to take her daughter's senior pictures. I've told her that I'm making no promises as to quality, but honestly - if I snap 200 pictures there should be a few that are good, right?

Anyway, I was hoping for some feedback on what I consider to be some of my best portraits before I do this shoot. I really appreciate the feedback.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

• PorphyroPorphyro Registered User new member
    I'm just getting into photography but a friend has already asked me to take her daughter's senior pictures. I've told her that I'm making no promises as to quality, but honestly - if I snap 200 pictures there should be a few that are good, right?

Anyway, I was hoping for some feedback on what I consider to be some of my best portraits before I do this shoot. I really appreciate the feedback.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

• GafotoGafoto Registered User regular

The EF compatibility is neat but...touchscreens? The menu on the Nex-5n is nearly impossible to navigate, especially with speed. Can't say I'm really sold, but I'd have to get my hands on it to really see how it matches up.

Here's a couple recent pictures:
    7662832490_700f971e71_c.jpg

7575971152_2e15852815_c.jpg

7670053006_a441793db2_c.jpg

sierracrest.jpg
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    Edited the OP to include all of that fun info that I think should be in the first post of the photo thread. Didn't realise that Optic had neglected to put that stuff in there. Anyway, thought you guys would like to know that information is in there again in case you want to point new members towards the information there.

• ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Guy Buying My Lens: This lens is broken -
    Me: How's that now. . .?
    GBML: Well see here; the focus ring is barely moving you see -
    Me: Well what're you pointing at?
    GBML: That tree over yonder. See? Now look when I focus on the bench behind it - barely moves!
    Me: That tree is more than 7 feet away. Anything beyond that is treated at infinity so it's not going to move much. . .or so I've heard.
    GBML: (mubles) Ah yes well. . .the pictures a bit fuzzy you know -
    Me: (loads up a picture) Looks quite crisp to me.
    GBML: I meant through the viewfinder.
    Me: (trying to contain my vein popping) Do you want the lens or no?
    GBML: Well with these "issues" not at that price; maybe if you came down a bit -
    Me: Good day to ya.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
    Did you explain what a diopter is?

sierracrest.jpg
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    Oh snap. I forgot that part. I did actually - they guy was like "Oh I know I know. . ." Really I think he just wanted any excuse to not buy my lens at the already heavily discounted price (no lens or rear caps). He was this really lens-ignorant guy and wanted me to take like 10 photographs at 5 different aperture settings and send them to him; I was like "Dude. . .do your own research on this lens." Admittedly, the camera I have has seen better days (and more frequent use/cleaning), but only a fool basis their judgement off of what they see through the viewfinder. I was just amazed; especially when everything was fine on his lens. He was like "I'm gonna have to spend X-Hundred dollars on cleaning alone!" That's when I had enough of my time being wasted.

"Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Criticism please :)

7666800150_f8ac37228a_c.jpg

7666807204_e96665055c_c.jpg

7487334716_4f10b353ab_c.jpg

7587230330_fcd5c4f444_c.jpg

2LmjIWB.png
  • EggyToastEggyToast Jersey CityRegistered User regular
    I like #2 and #4, primarily for texture reasons. For #2, you could even look at reducing some of the detail on the leaves so it becomes more mysterious, but I like the high contrast between the path and the archway. For #4, the texture and feeling is great, although the dead space on the right I feel is a little overwhelming. Cropped just a little bit (to like 5x7) would improve it to my eye.

For #1 and #3, I'm not entirely sure what you're going for. I'm not sure where my eye should go in #1. For #3 I feel there's a conflict in the subject due to the interesting background and the strong focus on the life preserver. Both are technically sound but less interesting to me.

So I'm not just criticizing, here's also some pictures I took recently:

7721486592_2c4afaa693_z.jpg

7721506854_8dae379e7f_z.jpg

|| Flickr — || PSN: EggyToast
    Three recent photos:

7769030944_9403ca78b5_c.jpg

7738117414_cffbdccbcd_c.jpg

7768919402_b638265602_c.jpg

I have two good friends who are landscape photographers so I've been absorbing a lot of information about how they work. Still don't have a 5D, but that's not gonna change anytime soon.

sierracrest.jpg
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    Now that I am unemployed, I've been jumping back into photography. Picked up a mark II and found a super good deal on a Canon 28-70 2.8

This is one I really like but like anything, I could have done some things better with it.

7694672232_5e3e207f11_c.jpg

@Uncle_Balsamic - that first one is really fun. The second one, I'm not really sure if I like the blown out light coming in, mainly because I think it looks accidental/exposure not really correct or that could be due to editing I suppose. The values on that last one are incredible though, textures, lines and composition are all really tight as well. GOOD JOB I SAY.

Gaf - you've been killing it lately man. Love all these new ones.

Mayhem- great portrait duder. Sorry to hear you lost your job, good things come out of everything though. And it's great to see you taking photos again.

Thanks =)

Also fuck me, its almost depressing using 500px. I highly suggest everyone use it =p. The stuff people put on there can be down right amazing.

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    @Gafoto I really love the first image. The splash of blue from the sky really gives the image contrast and offsets the warm oranges. Second one is so very flat and the 3rd one is kinda cool but the mountain with the sun on it seem to be the main subject of the photo and it is so small. I would suggest cropping that one down some.

No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    Shot I took this morning where I watch Arsenal games. Nothing to fancy, minus that lamp thats like...right there.

7810814360_b526faef54_c.jpg

@Gafoto ...the 3rd one is kinda cool but the mountain with the sun on it seem to be the main subject of the photo and it is so small. I would suggest cropping that one down some.

You know I initially had the same thought. I actually edited this photo below first but then decided on the one with more sky. I felt like the light on Half Dome was nice, but not dramatic enough to warrant it taking up most of the image. I felt like the clouds had more color and texture in the wider angler view.
    halfdome.jpg
    It's kind of impossible to take a non-cliche shot of Half Dome but I gave it a shot.

@projectmayhem Boy that photo sure does have a lot of lamp going for it. In all seriousness it isn't a bad idea having a busy photos, lots of similar colors and all, but when 20% of your pixels are blurry lamp it kind of ruins it.

sierracrest.jpg
  • Uncle_BalsamicUncle_Balsamic Registered User regular
    Cheers for the feedback, guys. Got another photo; what does/doesn't work?

7741794166_f0132e34f2_b.jpg

2LmjIWB.png
    I want to know how to get colors/sharpness like http://500px.com/photo/12004953 and http://500px.com/photo/12000377

I can never seem to get anything close to those.

@projectmayhem
    In terms of color you need to shoot and sunrise and sunset. Especially when there's some amount of clouds in the sky (like in the first photo).

That first photo just doesn't look right though. Look at the edge of his left elbow. Looks to me like he was chopped into that scene. It's possible it's just some artifact of him being lit by flash since he obviously didn't get lit up like that from the sun in front of him. There's also weird artifacts on the right side of his head. Other things don't like right as well, like the fact that the scene appears to be shot with a wide angle lens but the kid was shot with something more normal or telephoto. Makes him look like he's 500 feet tall.

A couple new photos:
    7812550698_eaa1a693db_c.jpg

7815824910_2760f4383c_c.jpg

sierracrest.jpg
    I need to get better at taking photos of things that are not people.

4.jpg

• Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    Decided to try something different for the final project of my photo class this summer.

7680458962_3422fed8d8_c.jpg

7680454210_6a36ffb046_c.jpg

7680447974_fe6453082b_c.jpg

I wanted to try taking some abstract blur shots by moving the camera instead shooting a moving subject.

Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
    I love that last one, the lines in it are fantastic. Looks like a painting.

Thanks. It's actually the wall of an overpass that I took and flipped vertically.

Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    Just came back from a trip to Europe with 3800 photos to go through...

Thoughts? (I'm not normally a selective colour guy but in this case someone had left red roses on the memorial so I thought it worked)

7849083564_91a1d39fbc_c.jpg

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
    It's funny, if you hadn't pointed out that it was selective color, I almost would have thought it was just very dark out.

Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular

4.jpg

Oh man. If I could take pictures of a place that cool I would be taking pictures every day

Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
    Molybdenum wrote: »

4.jpg

Oh man. If I could take pictures of a place that cool I would be taking pictures every day

I've been quickly running out of hd space since moving here

• CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited August 2012
    I want to know how to get colors/sharpness like http://500px.com/photo/12004953 and http://500px.com/photo/12000377

I can never seem to get anything close to those.

1. looks funny to me
    2. once done processing and resizing a photo do an unsharpen mask. I usually do something like a radius of .2 to .3 pixels at 200-300% sharpening.
    I'm not the best at nature photos but what I like to do is try and remove myself from the situation. I think to myself if I couldn't hear, smell, feel etc and could only see a 2d version of the scene would it still be interesting? Often times you get this amazing feeling from standing on some tall cliff/mountain that just doesn't translate through a photo. Also at least with this one try and avoid the 50% sky 50% ground with the horizon in the dead middle. The cliff/sea is more interesting to me so I think I would pan the camera down to capture more of that. The vignetting has also removed detail in the side of the cliff and forces the viewer to look in the middle of the picture where there isn't much interest.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
    This is something I thought you guys might like to know about. You can get Photoshop CS6 for 250$ with the purchase of either, PS Elements, Premier Elements or Lightroom 4.

http://view.bhphotovideo.com/v/3E350G/8E85D/N23J7X/PF9M6T/MAILACTION=1

This discussion has been closed.