As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HEY WHAT'S UP DOOD[le]

• Options
    BelieveBelieve Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Lexx, what is your devART name? I found it once, then lost it again (amidst the 800+ artists I have on my watchlist :roll:)

Finished that last thing I posted.

ceara-reddress2-final.jpg

Also, I am tempted to get a new account here because I'm so unused to using this old alias.

Believe on
  • Options
    PiousPious Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    RubberAC wrote:
    Pious- I Can't help you with coloring much, but that's way too saturated

My worst enemy, saturation. I have so much trouble with that.
    Scosglen wrote:
    Pious, keeping your grass the exact same color and not putting in any atmospheric haze really kills the depth in that piece. Keep at it!

I didn't finsih the grass yet, I kinda started from up to down on the page. Atmospheric haze? so take out that failed attempt of fog I did in the background?
    Sublimus wrote:
    You would be much better off if you just did a couple studies off of actual landscapes my friend.

I did do a couple studies....I will do more now though

Ok, saturation, depth, and studies.... Thanks

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    EhmaviscaEhmavisca Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Did you just custom brush a tree and paste it around?

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    Ape2001Ape2001 Otaku GermanyRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pious, I like the clouds. They look cloudy ^^

Ape2001 on
    - SF42012 Gen replays and anime trailers http://www.youtube.com/user/derBene
    - great animation focused website http://www.catsuka.com
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Pious wrote:
    Scosglen wrote:
    Pious, keeping your grass the exact same color and not putting in any atmospheric haze really kills the depth in that piece. Keep at it!

I didn't finsih the grass yet, I kinda started from up to down on the page. Atmospheric haze? so take out that failed attempt of fog I did in the background?

Atmospheric haze and fog are totally different beasts. Fog is a specific event where a cloud touched the ground or local humidity temporarily reaches 100% and the area "fogs up" for a time. Atmospheric haze is the cumulative effect of our supposedly "invisible" atmosphere when looking at objects of terrain features long distances away--this occurs everywhere. The further the distance, generally objects become more desaturated due to loss of clarity.

Also, I always recommend people work an entire painting at once for the sake of coherence and unity, rather than from side to side or top to bottom.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    The clouds are nice pious, the rest just seems oversaturated, flat, and seems to be in a completey different world to the sky.

But the sky is nice :)

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Did you just custom brush a tree and paste it around?

No then yes. I started painting it....then custom brushed it....I'll refine it....
    Scosglen wrote:
    Atmospheric haze and fog are totally different beasts. Fog is a specific event where a cloud touched the ground or local humidity temporarily reaches 100% and the area "fogs up" for a time. Atmospheric haze is the cumulative effect of our supposedly "invisible" atmosphere when looking at objects of terrain features long distances away--this occurs everywhere. The further the distance, generally objects become more desaturated due to loss of clarity.

Also, I always recommend people work an entire painting at once for the sake of coherence and unity, rather than from side to side or top to bottom.

I see now the difference from haze and fog.

Also I'll try to work an entire painting, instead piece by piece, kinda makes more sence that way.
    The clouds are nice pious, the rest just seems oversaturated, flat, and seems to be in a completey different world to the sky.

But the sky is nice :)

Thank you, I relized I did something stupid. I went against something I learned from this book called "Drawing and Painting Fantasy Landscapes and Cityscapes" by Rob Alexander,with misc artist. He says multiple times, that the sky will establish my pallette and also the color, nature, and intensity of my lighting. And that I should also use repetition of the sky colors in the water,rocks and trees to unify my painting.

I'm just trying to apply that now....poorly...but can't say I didn't try. Thanks all, I'll keep at it.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    gun_smoke.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    no_toastno_toast Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Frank that's looking real hot there. I'd adjust the left leg so there would be a bit bigger angle between the legs. And please finish this, the palette is just so cool. n__n

no_toast on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    queenoffrance3tj.jpg

I AM THE QUEEN OF FRANCE

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    Hellbound 17 1/2Hellbound 17 1/2 Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    jpeg wrote:
    doodily doo ding dong doodily doodily doo.

I see someone else watches Metalocalypse. Dethklok rules! 8) At the moment, the biggest thing that sticks out to me in your picture is the lack of attention paid to your creature's robe. You make some effort to make its head, hands, and legs appear 3D, but don't carry that out in the robe. This makes the robe look really flat and makes it not really fit the rest of the image. Hope that helps.

Hellbound 17 1/2 on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    untitled15mh.jpg

I think I'm going to take what I learned from this one, scrap it, and start a new one. I just don't know how to paint that grass and clump of trees in the middle ground.

One more question, is it less saturated now?

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    AlyceInWonderlandAlyceInWonderland Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    yes, but...where is the river going? It looks like it would be a water fall, but the landscape doesn't suggest that. It kind of just hits a wall.

AlyceInWonderland on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    yes, but...where is the river going? It looks like it would be a water fall, but the landscape doesn't suggest that. It kind of just hits a wall.

Do'h I see what you mean....I alread said scrap it, the clown is down. I'll fix it, but I'm to lazy to repost it.

Pious on
    Untitled_1_4.jpg
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    That mountain picture looks like something i'd see airbrushed on the side of a van.

Godfather on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    Way, way yoo much crap in my sketchbook to put up at a decent resolution:

Link'd to avoid v-scroll rape.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    paulwindpaulwind Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    working on a poster design for the 2007 One Show competition trying to raise awareness about pollution and all the like (the audience is primarily communities/families)
    smokinburbs017.jpg

paulwind on
  • Options
    FibretipFibretip Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    no kidding... but i actually felt like i was falling off my chair when i looked at that :shock: i like the composition of it, but the perspective makes it feel like they live on a kinda 50 degree hill. If you can see his garden that way, then you should at least get a bit of the street outside... i know it's a design choice so you can fit all the elements in, but it feels a bit drastic to me, as i say... i actually swayed to the right when i saw it.

the above, combined with the houses, reminds me greatly of the milkman level of psychonauts http://www.edhumphries.com/wp-content/uploads/Psychonauts_MilkmanConspiracy.jpg this can only be a good thing ;)

Fibretip on
    I believe in angels, not the kind with wings, no...not the kind with halos, the kind who bring you home
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    well... thanks, sir! I guess my job is done if you're falling out of your chair. I'll post an inked version as well as the other preliminary two thirds of the entry (it's a three-piece entry) later on today when I get home from classes.

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Angel, nice sketches.

They pwn mine, which usually consist of demons/woman and any combination and/or fusion of the two.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Angel, nice sketches.

They pwn mine, which usually consist of demons/woman and any combination and/or fusion of the two.

yes those are indeed awesome, I especially like the buttered toast vs. woman one. At least I think that's buttered toast?

Oh and Frank that doodle is full of awesomeness.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Thanks! ;P

I'm starting a secret project. The basic idea is .... eh I will type it later.

Basicly this is a concept for a young freelance photographer. The comic is to be post apocolyptic, lol.

aeon_concept_1.png

This is extremely early concept wise and image wise.

EDIT:

Ok, so I'm working on style right now, while I build up ideas for my project. I'm calling it Project Aeon right now, and I only have a couple ideas I'm throwing around. The one I'm leaning towards is a post apocolyptic setting, a group of people living on an island send a small group of new world diplomats and cartographers to explore uncharted waters.

EDIT:

Playing with style/mood, just for fun:
    promo.png

Is "shakable" a word...?

EDIT2: Man it feels bad to kill the doodle thread...

nother'''
    kraedo.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    u63ru63r Jon "Bad Wasabi" Wood Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    paulwind wrote:
    working on a poster design for the 2007 One Show competition trying to raise awareness about pollution and all the like (the audience is primarily communities/families)
    http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i111/paulwind/smokinburbs017.jpg
    Fer cryin' out loud, put some curves in the foreground. Please. The difference between it and the big curvy buildings is too jarring.
    Believe wrote:
    Lexx, what is your devART name? I found it once, then lost it again (amidst the 800+ artists I have on my watchlist :roll:)
    Really? I thought I was bad with a hundred-odd. Wow.

u63r on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Shakeable

I think.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    WastingPenguinsWastingPenguins Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    No... there's no "e". It's just shakable, double checked it in MS Word.

WastingPenguins on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Here's the inked version of what I showed you earlier (yes, I realized I have changed nothing. I will fix that, thanks for the comments), plus the other two accompanying posters.
    smokinburbs018-1.jpgsmokinburbs019-1.jpgsmokinburbs020-1.jpg

Sorry about the size.

paulwind on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I like the 2nd one so! :)

THanks for the word help.

Concepts for AEON:

lazy.jpg

crog.jpg

Ehmavisca on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    I'm going to be honest Frank, I have no clue what that second one is.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Toji SuzuharaToji Suzuhara Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    paulwind wrote:
    Here's the inked version of what I showed you earlier (yes, I realized I have changed nothing. I will fix that, thanks for the comments), plus the other two accompanying posters.
    paul1.jpg

paul2.jpg

paul3.jpg

Sorry about the size.

I have a few suggestions about presentation for you, Paul. I've switched out some quick leveled images in the quote.

First, few extra seconds adjusting the levels will really help your images pop. There are lots of cases where visible brush or pen strokes really add to the image on the whole, but I don't think that's what you were going for with these. With the levels bumped up so you have higher contrast, you get the strong silhouettes that it seems you were going for with the tree and industrial buildings. Also, I don't know how bright your monitor is, but the white you have isn't a true white. This is particularly apparent in the third piece, where some of the grays from pencil smudges are still visible (on the pants, garage, right side of the fence, et cetera).

Second, the quality. The jpeg artifacts are completely killing these. You're not paying anything for all of the free space Photobucket gives you, so why not use it? You can afford to set the quality a little higher so your lines aren't surrounded by mottled splotches of gray.

Frank: I kind of want to see something more complex from you. Lots of your recent images have been simple shapes making up flat-colored figures. Slow down for an image or two and make something really interesting.

Toji Suzuhara on
    AlphaFlag_200x40.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Toop of the poop

I did a good ol fashioned face study. (Maybe I'll bludgeon the tranvestite out of my female characters if I do enough :S).

Bonus character, which I totally stole from another person and made better with expensive sunglasses.

facestudy.jpg
    pope.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited January 2007
    I don't think she's got a man-face problem, but then...I am really bad at avoiding man-face syndrome myself.

Andrew Ley/Ultraman inspired sketch.

stormhornet.jpg

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    NatriNatri Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    a commission I'm doing for a friend of my parents. I was asked to do a portrait of this girl. Did it in pencil, but I'm not quite sure if this is the way a portrait should look..Would it be better to try it in conte or charcoal or something like that?
    Anyway here's the image..

vlrie.jpg

reference here: http://www.maj.com/gallery/crasp/Artwork/val.jpg

Natri on
    www.instagram.com/ceneven
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    done at school and not scanned in, but taken with a digital camera.

Apologies for the quality.

legsfroze.jpg

robothand.jpg

diezombies.jpg

groovy.jpg

bitchtitsfalconpunch.jpg

fuckers.jpg

bestcostume.jpg

worstjob.jpg

bloodfroze.jpg

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited January 2007
    i laughed so hard at the last one

bongi on
  • Options
    RavenshadowRavenshadow Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Scos that portrait is really cool. the structure is off in places but the rendering is really good.

Bacon, the bug robot is hot.

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hmwhat6sg.jpg

Random doodle. Getting used to my wacom.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    hmmmm... you know I don't hate this one.

hair, ears, neck and shoulders need some painting/anatomy practice...
    but what the hell... better than some of the dreck I've been doodlin' at home :)
    work5.jpg

crits/comments appreciated. Still havin' a hard time breakin' away from my dependence on lines, and havin' a hard time getting the hang of painting

Ravenshadow on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Faces from imagination are still a bit unnatural, but I feel like I'm making new connections every time I do another girl portrait.. Jawlines alone are tricky beasts to wrangle.

girl.jpg

Scosglen on
  • Options
    sainsain Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Fuzzy demon loves you

lovedemon2ir2qg.png

sain on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    damn scos. those faces are lookin' hawt.

nice beastie sain

Ravenshadow on
This discussion has been closed.