As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Squidbunny's stupid thread again (help me do a crappy cover really fast)

• Options
    squidbunnysquidbunny Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Work harder, squidbunny.

Do the last two panels here need SFX?

nto01_09.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Maybe a Whoosh?

I only say that because they do seem a little bit at odds with the rest of the panels dialogue/ word wise. It is as if something is missing.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I sort of felt like that, too. When I'm not making cookies I will try out some Gulps/Swigs and some Whooshes/Fwooshes.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    The gulp, atleast, won't cover up the awesome artwork.

But the Whoosh/ Fwoosh would be over the fire wouldn't it? Its kind of ironic because that panel, more than the gulp one, feels like it needs a sfx but I can't figure out where it would go and not cover the awesome fire yet be natural looking.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    That's the problem with sound-effects, really. And dialogue. I see it down the bottom of the fire, curved to fit the flame with the F just a little tucked behind the arm.

tynic on
  • Options
    ParadiseParadise Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Iroh: Did I ever tell you how I got the nickname the Dragon of the West?

Azula: I am not interested in a lengthy anecdote, Uncle.

Iroh: It is more of a demonstration really. *BREATHES FIRE*

Paradise on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was having a pretty bummer day until I read this. Thanks for the pick-me-up, Squidbunny.

Hunter's stare in panel 4 just kills me. Dude looks high as a kite and he hasn't even got his drink on yet.

As for the SFX, as it stands it has a kinda otherworldly feel, like the flames burst out in complete spooky silence. You could try keeping that, but have Mizz Dauterive's muscle cry out in pain to fill the panel with some audible emphasis.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    MustangMustang Arbiter of Unpopular Opinions Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I thought the goons were Hunters men until that last page.

Mustang on
  • Options
    ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Mustang wrote: »
    I thought the goons were Hunters men until that last page.

I did too actually.

Prospicience on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I'm kind of at a loss re: the thug confusion, I'll admit; not sure how I could rectify that.

But let's talk flames.

Someone extra-AC told me the flames in that last panel lacked velocity, which I get, so I tried redoing those. I also added potential SFX, but I kind of like that no SFX implies silent, slow-mo goings-on. I'm torn. What do you like?

glugfwoosh_1.jpg
    glugfwoosh_1.5.jpg
    glugfwoosh_2.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like the middle one. Fire looks hotter.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was not confused by the thugs.

Middle one looks best, by the way, although it might look slightly better if the thug is looking at the flames instead of staring out into the void. It makes him look a bit stiffer than he should, maybe.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yeah, thugs were totally clear. Even though them standing cross-armed behind Dauterive in the opening pages is subtle, the overt tell is when they respond to Hunter's touching her necklace in page 5 and then whisper information into Dauterive's ear on page 6.
    Just makes sense a fair young lady needs some bruisers to keep fleeced card players from getting uppity.

I like the second set of flames better, too. My mind is making up patterns of little horses and demons in there, making the fire seem more infernal.

The "Aaarg!" cry from the thug sounds wrong -- more like a response to being stabbed. Every time I've set myself or others on fire, the universal exclamation is "Aaaah! AAAAH!" followed by pleas to put it out and running in circles.

Ah, memories.

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Okay positive stuff: The dialogue, pacing, and style is all really good. The colors especially are just nice.

Now, the thug on the left with the knife, I don't quite understand how he's supposed to be holding it. He seems to be gripping it between his thumb and forefinger, like a scalpel. The rest of the fingers aren't "rolling" along the hilt like one would expect them to, so it doesn't convey a very firm grasp.

Also did you do a reference pose for the drinking frame? He looks like he's playing a trumpet. It looks less like a high-angle shot, and more like he's got his shoulders hunched.

The new fire looks great. The "swig" and "aaargh" are probably unnecessary.

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Fugitive wrote: »
    The new fire looks great. The "swig" and "aaargh" are probably unnecessary.

Those things seem comedic here, probably because they're so cliché.

That second fire looks great though.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I too am personally partial to new fire, no SFX or screaming, so I think we're good, Shepard.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I kind of like the swig- its tiny size is humorous to me. And I think seeing the word and reading it helps to add a nice pause in the pacing, the calm before the fire....storm.

I also really like the new fire and... maybe if you drew the guy on fire a tad it would sell the fire better than the sfx? (like the others, i don't think the sfx is working in the last panel)

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited June 2010
    nto01_10.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think this is your best page both layout and color wise. It's just purdy to look at.

Crit wise, I'd say its a bit too peaceful on the outside for having a full blown inferno in the interior. Maybe a little smoke coming out the window might help.

Also the hands on the left of the last panel seem like floating magic hands from Smash Brothers cause they don't seem to be part of a body. Minor quibbles aside its fucking awesome.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I think this is your best page both layout and color wise. It's just purdy to look at.

I concur. It is pretty sweet. I agree about the smoke, too, though. Especially with how much smoke there is on the inside.

Spectre-x on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oh boy, this story is getting exciting!

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    How many pages is this going to go for squids?

Mustang on
  • Options
    YoungPrometheusYoungPrometheus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oooooh, I like what I'm seeing. A lot. The colors, the art, the panel borders, everything. Though, I do have a few suggestions. I will admit that I probably don't know what I'm talking about, since you seem to have a metric ton of experience more than me, but these are just my opinions.

I guess what I want to talk about first is the presentation. From what I can tell, you really like using close ups. I'm not saying you use them for every single page, but consider this: Are you consciously using panels without dialogue? Panels with just background? Panels where you zoom out so you can see everything? Silent close ups of the characters? These are indispensable, and it lets the audience imbue them with their own meaning and stimulates their imagination.

I love how it looks, but I think it wouldn't hurt to "loosen" it up. I just seems a bit..."cramped". I don't know.
    I'm just rambling now. If you don't want to change it, that's just fine. These are "my" thoughts, and mine alone. >_>

Keep up the good work!

YoungPrometheus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I agree with the multi-party smoke crit; it did occur to me when I was working on that last panel that it was absurd there was no smoke roiling out the building as Vane approaches, but I was so hung up on wanting the tipoff that Hunter was in the building to be the branded horse, because that's what I originally scripted, that I was stubborn and stupid about it. But I'll definitely fix it when I'm not at work.

'Stang: NTO's book 1 script is 32 or 36 pages (it's 32 but I seem to break things up more in practice than I ever originally intend so it'll probably be 36); I'm drawing the first 13 so it leaves off on a semi-interesting story beat while clearing the sequential pages required to submit to every publisher I'd like to pitch it to. My only regret is these first 13 pages aren't really action-packed, but the few people I asked about this seemed to think it was better to start with a sort of introduction to what we were getting into rather than jumping right into a disembodied action set piece. I dunno. To be honest I've sort of lost steam/confidence with it, but now who's rambling.

Per usual, thanks for all the feedback, guys. :D

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    To be honest I've sort of lost steam/confidence with it, but now who's rambling.

NO! Stop that! Stop that right now before I kick you!

This is great work and I'm very curious to see where it is heading.

Also, method question. I have a bit of trouble working with high DPI for any piece that needs printing. It's the sort of "working under a magnifying glass" feeling you get from having to zoom in to the actual pixel size. How do you go about it with these? Do you do roughs in lower DPI and raise it for the inking/coloring? Or is there a better method that I'm not aware of?

Also, last panel of the last page has some great composition. I do have a quick recommendation, though. If you're adding smoke to the first panel, it may not be a bad idea to throw in a flaming thug bursting out of the window. In the final panel you could account for this by having the background window between the two characters be shattered.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I pencil these at 10x15" and scan them in at 300ppi; I work at that size the whole way. If you're getting tunnel vision working zoomed in, try opening a second window for the file and keep that zoomed way out so you can keep a better eye on the big picture. Seems to work okay for me.

Re: throwing a thug out the window, I appreciate the suggestion but that would completely overshadow the revelation of the brand on that horse (which is important), and also, I think it'd mischaracterize Hunter: he's not a throw-a-guy-out-a-window sort.

Much obliged for the encouragement!

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Squid if you stop before you even hit the 13 page mark I will make my own wild west comic called "There Will Be Punches" starring Daniel Day Lewis as "my fist" and your nose as "himself"

Fugitive on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    squidbunny wrote: »
    Re: throwing a thug out the window, I appreciate the suggestion but that would completely overshadow the revelation of the brand on that horse (which is important), and also, I think it'd mischaracterize Hunter: he's not a throw-a-guy-out-a-window sort.

Makes sense, but just to clarify I wasn't suggesting that Hunter would've thrown him out the window, but that he would've burst through the window of his own accord as a response to being on fire.

Heartlash on
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    As I was writing that I figured that's what you meant; I should've qualified that I just thought it'd be misconstrued.

<3

Fug: That pretty much encourages me to quit posthaste, sir.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    This is really good stuff, I was flicking through a few published comics this morning thinking, "Man, squids comic is way better than this tripe."

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    D'awww.

I've only had time/drive to get at this smoke thing today. Adequate?

nto01_10v2.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Oddly enough, to me it almost highlights the branded horse more. The smoke is like its companion piece. I like it.

Heartlash on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Good call. He's not visually competing with that squiggly fretwork anymore, I suppose.

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    That page is looking damn pretty now.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Lateral shift in doing stuff: most publishing outfits want sample logos, if not sample covers, so I started picking some at that.

logos.jpg

squidbunny on
    header_image_sm.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Middle one on the left. Just enough coggage without going overboard.

Though I do like the far right vertical one, for a fancy title.

Mustang on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The smoke looks great in that last comic page.

Mustang wrote: »
    Middle one on the left. Just enough coggage without going overboard.

Though I do like the far right vertical one, for a fancy title.

I agree with Mustang, those are the best two logos. They work well as a set too.

Paradise on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like the bottom left.

The right one seems a bit too... Souther Comfort like.

The Middle left one is pretty good too though.

Nappuccino on

• Options
    mullymully Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    middle left, certainly!

mully on
  • Options
    AumniAumni Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Bottom or middle left.

Aumni on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/aumni/ Battlenet: Aumni#1978 GW2: Aumni.1425 PSN: Aumnius