As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

New iPhone leaked

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Texting pisses me off because I never do it, but when people text me I get pickpocketed for $.20 a pop.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    The only reason I could even justify the cost of AT&T's shit was when my entire family decided to go on a family plan. The family plans are somewhat reasonable and I feel I'm only being butt-fucked a little bit.

$30/unlimited make sense for a family, but only because the alternative is something like $20 for 2000 split four ways or making each individual account pay $10 for 1000 or something.

It only makes sense because it gets split over however many people you have.

Honestly we just need to get with the rest of the fucking world and not charge for incoming texts. Which is a complete bullshit charge, since you cant block certain numbers without blocking all texting period

ronzo on
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Texting pisses me off because I never do it, but when people text me I get pickpocketed for $.20 a pop.

My boss has verizon and was able to get them to shut off texting completely on his phone. He can't send or receive.

webguy20 on
    Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Text 79775 for the hottest jokes

$14.95/text applies

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    The only reason I could even justify the cost of AT&T's shit was when my entire family decided to go on a family plan. The family plans are somewhat reasonable and I feel I'm only being butt-fucked a little bit.

Exactly. Despite the ripoff of $5 for 200 messages(which I don't go over), the family plan saves me a ton of money and my family isn't about to change carriers any time soon.

I'm spending less than I would on any other carrier.

Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    webguy20 wrote: »
    KalTorak wrote: »

My boss has verizon and was able to get them to shut off texting completely on his phone. He can't send or receive.

its a complete all or nothing thing though. No texts from the provider, or from emergency services at university, stuff like that. They could do what everyone else does, but instead they got greedy.

ronzo on
  • Options
    QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    QuestionMarkMan on
  • Options
    That Dave FellaThat Dave Fella Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope I qualify for an upgrade for when this is out. Pity the plans in Ireland are pretty shitty but they at least offer unlimited data now so I can tether with my phone on the train.

That Dave Fella on
    PSN: ThatDaveFella
  • Options
    AshcroftAshcroft LOL The PayloadRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I hope I qualify for an upgrade for when this is out. Pity the plans in Ireland are pretty shitty but they at least offer unlimited data now so I can tether with my phone on the train.

Are you sure they include tethering with that? Usually unlimited data doesn't include it without an extra cost on top.

Ashcroft on
    ZD98Zka.png
  • Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ireland probably doesn't suck that much.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ashcroft wrote: »

Are you sure they include tethering with that? Usually unlimited data doesn't include it without an extra cost on top.

this is certainly the case for o2 in the UK. Definitely worth checking.

Bad-Beat on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    hmm they changed it to 2gb and no unlimited and tethering costs.

Won't be paying for that.

That Dave Fella on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    oh wait, apparently they do, do unlimited on 1 page but not on the other?

if I want to swap to that plan I have to sign up for another 18 months or something. I'll only do that with the new iPhone.

That Dave Fella on
  • Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I just went to the AT&T store today and found out that I won't be able to keep my old unlimited plan from my old first gen iphone if I buy the new one, so now I'm really hesitant to get the new one. I really love my old one and was ready to upgrade, but I'm worried that I'll go over on usage since I'll have a phone that's actually fast enough to stream regularly.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    rhylith wrote: »
    So I just went to the AT&T store today and found out that I won't be able to keep my old unlimited plan from my old first gen iphone if I buy the new one, so now I'm really hesitant to get the new one. I really love my old one and was ready to upgrade, but I'm worried that I'll go over on usage since I'll have a phone that's actually fast enough to stream regularly.

i was going to say maybe you could have switched to the 30 buck plan before the 7th

but then i realized its 8th already

stupid fucking summer class warping my sense of time

ronzo on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Alright I canceled my Verizon order for service and a Incredible today. Going to stick with AT&T and get this new stupid phone. Jobs can sell his toy pretty well. Also peer pressure to get one worked just as it did with alcohol and pre-marital sex.

So I have no contract right now with AT&T and haven't been for the 5 years I had them but am eligible for a upgrade to an iPhone apparently if I do the 2 year lock down thing. Also I already have an unlimited data plan and according to PCWorld I can carry it over?

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what is your situation? You have a phone with AT&T but no contract so you've been paying month to month? What device is the unlimited plan for?

Also, rhylith, is your "old" unlimited plan something different than the data plans that the newer iPhones have? I'm not familiar at all with the first generation iPhone. Though if that PC World article is saying even Blackberry unlimited plans should work yours should too.

I hadn't heard of being able to use anything except the iPhone unlimited data plan to keep yours without having to change to the new tiered plans until that PC World article, though, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Wait, what is your situation? You have a phone with AT&T but no contract so you've been paying month to month? What device is the unlimited plan for?

Also, rhylith, is your "old" unlimited plan something different than the data plans that the newer iPhones have? I'm not familiar at all with the first generation iPhone. Though if that PC World article is saying even Blackberry unlimited plans should work yours should too.

I hadn't heard of being able to use anything except the iPhone unlimited data plan to keep yours without having to change to the new tiered plans until that PC World article, though, so I'm not sure how accurate it is.

First gen iPhone isn't 3G, so it's assumed that customers not paying for 3G will be forced to sign up for a new data plan.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Right now I use a Nokia N97 with the $15 unlimited data plan. That PC World article down seem to be making wishes though on this subject.

Either way I doubt I'll ever have good enough reception to even down 200MB on 3G.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    My monthly usage is actually much lower than I thought it would be. I doubt I could ever do 2GB a month. I don't tether because it's kind of really lame using a laptop on 3G speeds too. Even when Netflix is released on the iPhone I reckon I'll be using it mostly with WiFi. We'll see!

Sarksus on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Monoxide wrote: »

First gen iPhone isn't 3G, so it's assumed that customers not paying for 3G will be forced to sign up for a new data plan.

Exactly.

rhylith on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I think this is all on the level so i'll post about it.

Its possible, by downloading the 9.2 itunes beta on a mac and the gold master of iOS 4, to put iOS 4 on your idevice right now

Multitasking is slick, but tomorrow will really tell if it makes a huge difference in my regular usage. I can already tell it will be hard to break myself of the habit of exiting an app then opening a new one, which you only need to do the first time. I will probably also keep my fast switching pane clear of anything i'm not about to use immediately

ronzo on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    where can i download the beta for itunes?
    edit: nevermind

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I also miss the old dock, the 3d glass is fucking stupid, just like in snow leopard

ronzo on
  • Options
    Someguy JohnsonSomeguy Johnson Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Since I didn't see anyone answer, any smartphone unl plan will carry over if you get a new iphone and you will not be forced to change it. If they try to force you to change it just call 611 cause the store is cheating you.

Someguy Johnson on
    [SIGPIC]XBL- TheManAboutTown PS3- someguyjohnson83 Wii- who gives a shit Steam- someguyjohnson[/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I don't like the default dock but otherwise 3D docks look great.

content

8-)

Faricazy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Dammit, Chrome updated without asking again. Keeping this thing customized is a hassle.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    man i wish i had snow leopard
    but my computer can barely run leopard
    which i dont have

Kusuguttai on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I have never lost my settings because of chrome updating.

Might just be a silly mac thing.

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Faricazy wrote: »
    I don't like the default dock but otherwise 3D docks look great.

content

8-)

what program did you use to get that?

or did you just replace some files or something?

ronzo on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    No, I have a custom icon for it plus some interface mods that need to be reset with every update.

content

thar' we go

edit: Candybar

And very, very frequent visits to MacThemes forums, DA, Iconpaper, etc.

Faricazy on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    candybar is pretty great for mac customization

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2010
    I honestly don't really see how you could want to change Apple's icons

bongi on
  • Options
    AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    bongi get an iPhone 4

and our wieners can hi to each other

Abracadaniel on
  • Options
    bongibongi regular
    edited June 2010
    as if I didn't want one enough already :x

bongi on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Since I didn't see anyone answer, any smartphone unl plan will carry over if you get a new iphone and you will not be forced to change it. If they try to force you to change it just call 611 cause the store is cheating you.

I have confirmation from both in-store and at&t's customer service number that the 1st gen iPhone plan will not carry over since it is not a 3g plan.

rhylith on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    rhylith wrote: »

I have confirmation from both in-store and at&t's customer service number that the 1st gen iPhone plan will not carry over since it is not a 3g plan.

Either your guys or this guy's guy needs to get their story straight:

http://consumerist.com/2010/06/hey-att-can-i-upgrade-from-an-edge-data-plan-and-still-get-the-unlimited-option.html

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    so my phone refuses to back itself up while using iOS 4.

Guess I'll be switching back to 3.1.3 tonight

ronzo on
  • Options
    AirAir Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    is there any way to back up a jailbreak and all the stuff

Air on
    darjeelingshortsig95.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Air wrote: »
    is there any way to back up a jailbreak and all the stuff

There is apparently an application (I don't remember what it's called) that will output a list of the Cydia stuff you have installed so you can easily reinstall it but as far as I am aware no, you can't back up jailbroken software at all. It makes updating the OS such a chore.

Sarksus on
This discussion has been closed.