As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Borderlands: OLD thread is OLD

• Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    optimus, I'm going to add you

I'm AtomoClassic

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    optimus, I'm going to add you

I'm AtomoClassic
    Cool. I'm probably done for tonight, but I'll be back on tomorrow at some point.

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I got an interesting Wildcat the other day:

140ish damage, but it's a Double, 35% accuracy, and 12.5 fire rate

it is literally one half of my Anarchy

I'm guessing this is about as good as they get

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Elendil wrote: »

Other than the ones with elemental effects, which are arguably better, yeah.

I've gotten to where I'll just chuck wildcats. So worthless. At least Thanatoses show up on a weapon type that has real issues with short clips. When the difference is <10 rounds between a 30 acc Wildcat and a 70 acc stinger, why bother?

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »

Other than the ones with elemental effects, which are arguably better, yeah.

I've gotten to where I'll just chuck wildcats. So worthless. At least Thanatoses show up on a weapon type that has real issues with short clips. When the difference is <10 rounds between a 30 acc Wildcat and a 70 acc stinger, why bother?
    My very first gold pickup was a Wildcat.

I was not impressed.

Elendil on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Incidentally, it appears the insane Masher I picked up earlier was in fact max damage. 436x7. Yowza. Trying to decide whether to send it along to my hunter or to my siren for that pesky Crawmerax back spot.

Elendil on
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Incidentally, it appears the insane Masher I picked up earlier was in fact max damage. 436x7. Yowza. Trying to decide whether to send it along to my hunter or to my siren for that pesky Crawmerax back spot.

unforgiven variant?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited August 2010

unforgiven variant?

I wish. It's a standard purple masher. No scope either.

I'll take it though. Even the fire rate isn't too bad for a Jakobs (1.3).

Elendil on
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I hope I find a better Masher one of these days. Favorite gun ever.

Elendil, what did you win?

Man, I should have won, in the description for the Assault Trooper, I posted a link to this .gif

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    yeah, i haven't actually been able to get into my email so :\

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I hope I find a better Masher one of these days. Favorite gun ever.

Elendil, what did you win?
    I don't know! The e-mail was not forthcoming and the thread did not enlighten either. I would very much like to know myself.

Elendil on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I just played for the first time since the new patch went in and now I'm having stuttering and other random video issues like purple lines around all the gun icons. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix it? I tried looking in the gearbox forum but *shudder*.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    prfntbtrprfntbtr Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So, uh, Mordecai players. Am I the only one that seems to have a retarded bird? He seems almost useless. I would love to put some points into him, but he never wants to actually hurt anybody. If an enemy is close by, like, maybe 20 yards or less, he seems to be able to strike them fairly easily, although somtimes it takes him a few seconds to lock on. As a ranged character, I always try to throw my bird out when I see enemies in the distance, and when I do, my bird flies around in unitelligible loops and patterns, making a fool of himself. He will spend forever flying like an idiot, never attacking anybody. Is this supposed to be how it works? Is the bird supposed to only work at close to mid-close range? I play on the 360 if that makes any difference...

prfntbtr on
  • Options
    IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So I just played for the first time since the new patch went in and now I'm having stuttering and other random video issues like purple lines around all the gun icons. Anyone else experiencing this and know how to fix it? I tried looking in the gearbox forum but *shudder*.

I thought I'd heard that the latest ATI drivers were causing Borderlands fits and that a rollback fixed things. But Googling "Borderlands ATI drivers" turned up a bunch of 2009 stuff so I might just have made that up in my mind. Sorry.

prfntbtr, yeah Bloodwing is more mid-close range. He can't handle stuff at a distance.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    prfntbtr wrote: »
    So, uh, Mordecai players. Am I the only one that seems to have a retarded bird? He seems almost useless. I would love to put some points into him, but he never wants to actually hurt anybody. If an enemy is close by, like, maybe 20 yards or less, he seems to be able to strike them fairly easily, although somtimes it takes him a few seconds to lock on. As a ranged character, I always try to throw my bird out when I see enemies in the distance, and when I do, my bird flies around in unitelligible loops and patterns, making a fool of himself. He will spend forever flying like an idiot, never attacking anybody. Is this supposed to be how it works? Is the bird supposed to only work at close to mid-close range? I play on the 360 if that makes any difference...

I don't know about range, but I've found that it only attacks enemies that you're looking at.

Peewi on
  • Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Yeah, the bird seems to not know what to do unless you actually fire at someone.

Problem being, that guy usually dies pretty quick, and the bird divebombs his corpse.

I really wish Mordecai's special were at all useful like everyone else's. Even if it worked, it's still inferior in every way to everybody else's. Phasewalk? Gamechanging. Turret? Pulls aggro, works as a shield. Berzerk? Lulz.

Bird? Uh...weak gun hit.

Ender on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Ender wrote: »
    Yeah, the bird seems to not know what to do unless you actually fire at someone.

Problem being, that guy usually dies pretty quick, and the bird divebombs his corpse.

I really wish Mordecai's special were at all useful like everyone else's. Even if it worked, it's still inferior in every way to everybody else's. Phasewalk? Gamechanging. Turret? Pulls aggro, works as a shield. Berzerk? Lulz.

Bird? Uh...weak gun hit.

Properly specced, the bird will kill or mortally wound 8-10 targets, leaving survivors dazed and useless, and then bring you back something like ten times your max health.

But yes, without spending any points on it, it's pretty bad. Which, actually, is true of the other action skills, especially Roland's.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited August 2010
    the turret's shield is pretty useless, and the cooldown is the worst out of all of them

really, ranked for usefulness, action abilities probably look something like this:

Berserk < Turret < Bloodwing <
    Phasewalk

Nerdgasmic on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can see that the bird could be a pretty powerful ally, if given the proper points. That is, if he would actually try to hit anybody. I just can't justify throwing points his way when he won't put in work.

prfntbtr on
  • Options
    Mr ObersmithMr Obersmith Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Iolo wrote: »

I thought I'd heard that the latest ATI drivers were causing Borderlands fits and that a rollback fixed things. But Googling "Borderlands ATI drivers" turned up a bunch of 2009 stuff so I might just have made that up in my mind. Sorry.

prfntbtr, yeah Bloodwing is more mid-close range. He can't handle stuff at a distance.

I have a 9800GT so I don't think that's it. Oh well. Anyways on the Mordecai discussion, I'm specced for Bloodwing and he'll take out most groups of enemies for me. Unless there is a badass in there, I very rarely even need to shoot. The trick, like someone else mentioned, is that you have to look at the enemy. You don't have to shoot, but as long as your crosshairs are on them, Bloodwing should target appropriately regardless of distance.

Mr Obersmith on
    Battle.net - Obersmith#1709
    Live - MrObersmith
    PSN - Obersmith
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I can see that the bird could be a pretty powerful ally, if given the proper points. That is, if he would actually try to hit anybody. I just can't justify throwing points his way when he won't put in work.

Then you are at an impasse... with your pet. :)

Respeccing is absurdly cheap. Throw down some points, go kills some bandits or spiderants or somebody, and then decide.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    the turret's shield is pretty useless, and the cooldown is the worst out of all of them

really, ranked for usefulness, action abilities probably look something like this:

Berserk < Turret < Bloodwing <
    Phasewalk

The cooldown seems okay to me - especially when you spend points to improve it. And it's great when playing solo because not only is it shooting things, but it seems to attract the baddies way more than I do giving my shield regen a chance to kick in.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    On the Roland turret tip, I have no points in turret, and even on pt2 it'll kill 2 or 3 guys on its own, leaving me not being shot by a couple dudes so I can kill the rest. I dunno, I've always had good luck with the turret, and Roland doesn't need the turret as much as Mordecai seems to need the bird.

Dunno, maybe it's my build, I'm planning on respeccing him anyways, as ignoring shields hasn't been as useful as it first sounded. Perhaps I'll try respeccing to Gunslinger/Bloodwing, and see if that changes things. There's very little I remember from the Sniper tree I truly liked other than the ignore shields, and since now my Defiler is so much better than my masher, I'm using it almost exclusively, making the ignore shields part somewhat moot.

Ender on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I've been playing a bit the past two days. I just killed Krom a little while ago. I'm starting to get some guns I actually like, now at level 27. I have a hunter's shotgun, I don't remember specifics, but it does decent damage and is accurate. I kind of which it has a scope instead of a the weird wire ring thing, but other than that it is solid gold. And I have a couple of decent rifles, one of which holds 200 bullets with my class mod and has a high chance of lighting shit on fire.

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    In my experience, Gunslinger/Bloodwing is amazing when you're in situations where you're getting choked with bad guys (Underdome comes immediately to mind) when it can do multiple attacks and daze. You will be a flurry of death and destruction.

That said, once I found myself spending all my time in Knoxx, I respec'd to Gunslinger/Sniper because then the need for a good long game and shield bypass seemed greater. Bloodwing spent more time flying around frantically in the air doing nothing and he's practically worthless against Craw.

DogEight on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So what I am hearing then, is that my bird is pretty fearsome if you give him points and unleash him locally, but if there are dudes in the distance, I should not really expect him to anything about them?

prfntbtr on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The range on the bird is pretty short. Definitely not sniper range. It will attack whoever is within range that you have targetted with your weapon. If there are a couple of people close together, it'll swoop back and forth between them until it runs out of swoops. This is actually a decent way to kill Lance Engineers.

The bird is a lot more outright deadly in playthrough 1, but it's still damn useful in playthrough 2. For a while, I was afraid I was going to forget how to use my gun. I hadn't fired it for a couple of levels, seemed like.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So what I am hearing then, is that my bird is pretty fearsome if you give him points and unleash him locally, but if there are dudes in the distance, I should not really expect him to anything about them?
    Pretty much. Once you start seeing revolvers they usually have decent scopes so they can make up your short, mid, and (depending on the zoom/your skill) long range. Snipers can adapt pretty well too between long and mid, but Bloodwing will always be short range.

Some people really like him but I don't think he's really viable until you can respec a Sniper/Gunslinger build and get him immediately capable of attacking 4+ targets at once and dazing.

DogEight on
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    My first masher! Well, noticeable one.
    mal31savagemasher.png

It's so satisfying to use. Especially with the x4fire 117dmg Repeater which I don't seem to have a screenshot of for some strange reason.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Big Isy wrote: »
    My first masher! Well, noticeable one.
    mal31savagemasher.png

It's so satisfying to use. Especially with the x4fire 117dmg Repeater which I don't seem to have a screenshot of for some strange reason.
    That damage seems really low, even for that level.

But it might just be the 388x7 in my inventory throwing off my perspective.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    That was an... anomalous Knoxx run.

8 Volcanoes.

Bleh.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    388x7 sounds absolutely crazy. I use an equalizer with 182x7, which I think is really nice. I've also found one with 194x7, but it fires slower and has no scope.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Peewi wrote: »
    388x7 sounds absolutely crazy. I use an equalizer with 182x7, which I think is really nice. I've also found one with 194x7, but it fires slower and has no scope.
    388x7, 2 round chamber, 78% accuracy (I think), 1.0 RoF

My primary, though, is a 360x7, 2 round, 88% accuracy, 1.3 RoF with a scope. It will just shreds Knoxx, which is the guy I fight every 30 minutes or so.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    bloodwing is super-overpowered

it doesn't work at range, yeah, but no other power can nigh-instantly kill an entire bandit camp. it's a better panic button than phasewalk when you're facing normal gun-toting enemies.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    bloodwing is super-overpowered

it doesn't work at range, yeah, but no other power can nigh-instantly kill an entire bandit camp. it's a better panic button than phasewalk when you're facing normal gun-toting enemies.

Plus it's the only thing that can tag Lilith while she's phasewalking. Not that the game is balanced for PVP, or anything. But still.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    i've never seen bloodwing tag a phased lilith. it can hover around and strike as soon as she comes out, but never while she's phased. unless they changed that in the patches...?

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I noticed that Knoxx's lightning balls can hit you while you phasewalk. In fact, they seek to you just like if you're not invisible.

They don't do any damage, but they halt shield regen just like if you'd been shot.

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    True, and annoying.

I haven't been able at 58 to take out Knoxx on my Mordecai. It could be because the siren strategy of "shoot shoot shoot hahaha" doesn't work as well for him, since he's made of paper mache. But having a strong Bloodwing might be just the thing I need to kill those goddamn annoying medics who pop up while I'm not looking and heal the asshole to full.

Ender on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Ender wrote: »
    True, and annoying.

I haven't been able at 58 to take out Knoxx on my Mordecai. It could be because the siren strategy of "shoot shoot shoot hahaha" doesn't work as well for him, since he's made of paper mache. But having a strong Bloodwing might be just the thing I need to kill those goddamn annoying medics who pop up while I'm not looking and heal the asshole to full.
    I've made probably 3 dozen knoxx runs with my hunter. Here's what I've learned;

The bird is only good for stuns.
    Bring a Pestilent Defiler
    Bring revolver regen
    Bring a Masher
    Corrosive MIRV is your friend
    Devastators: Hide
    Medics: Charge

OptimusZed on

• Options
    edited August 2010
    with roland my knoxx strategy is

>equip commando mod
    >equip vitriolic crux
    >shoot everything

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png