As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    Finished up Throne of Bhaal for the first time today. Good Lord, it became such a chore near the end... I need to look up some legit strategies online, because man, I was fumbling around like crazy. I remember Balthazar especially just. would. not. DIE. Every time I came close to killing him, he'd use his super kick technique to send my party flying away and then chug a potion.

jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    So i was over at the BGEE main site, seeing if any new info/screenshots were out (there isn't) and i'm casually looking at the background art of the character portraits of various BG1 npcs and that's when I notice it.

On the right hand side, in between Garrick and Xan, is one of the new portraits/characters in the EE. Either that or unmasked Sarevok which i doubt it is.

Guess you can't tell until its officially out but it doesn't seem to match right the rest of them.

Deaderinred on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    I just started a new game of Baldur's Gate. I intend to finally finish it this time. I always get sidetracked. What are the benefits of transferring your character into Baldur's Gate 2?

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Very few in game benefits.

If you do very specific stuff, you can get benefits out of pantaloons late in BG2
    If you find all the tomes in BG1, you can have higher starting stats.
    If you do all the BG1 content, you start at a slightly higher level (but since BG experience is exponential it matters almost nothing after chapter 2)
    One item can carry over, according to an arcane schedule.

There is some story continuity but not a whole lot.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
  • AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Basically, you can start a game of BG2 and give yourself +1 to all abilities (except Wisdom, that gets a +3 instead) and you'll be good.

Edit: There's actually a lot of story continuity between 1 and 2. There's just no recording of your choices, so while you can go "Hey didn't I kill you last game" to a bunch of people, none of them will be missing because you killed them.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    Basically, you can start a game of BG2 and give yourself +1 to all abilities (except Wisdom, that gets a +3 instead) and you'll be good.

Edit: There's actually a lot of story continuity between 1 and 2. There's just no recording of your choices, so while you can go "Hey didn't I kill you last game" to a bunch of people, none of them will be missing because you killed them.

Though at least one guy is pissed if you killed him in the first game.

• korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    So yeah, it's been a while since I posted anything about my BG2 run here, and for good reason. I had more or less beaten SoA, having been right at the start of the Hell portion... when I found out that my last dozen or so save game files were corrupted, stretching back to before my previous update with the Chapter Six stuff and the Chosen of Cyric fight. Demoralized and honestly kind of burned out, I pretty much shelved that run-through (plus I was essentially finished with the best part of the game anyway, and Callic was so overwhelmingly powerful that it was beginning to get kind of boring) and have decided to start a new game of BG1 using a fresh new Tutu install instead. I'm toying with the idea of doing an actual full-on LP with it, but I'm not sure.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • BrilliantInsanityBrilliantInsanity Charleston, WVRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    So yeah, it's been a while since I posted anything about my BG2 run here, and for good reason. I had more or less beaten SoA, having been right at the start of the Hell portion... when I found out that my last dozen or so save game files were corrupted, stretching back to before my previous update with the Chapter Six stuff and the Chosen of Cyric fight. Demoralized and honestly kind of burned out, I pretty much shelved that run-through (plus I was essentially finished with the best part of the game anyway, and Callic was so overwhelmingly powerful that it was beginning to get kind of boring) and have decided to start a new game of BG1 using a fresh new Tutu install instead. I'm toying with the idea of doing an actual full-on LP with it, but I'm not sure.

I would enjoy a LP of it, especially if you recorded some of the more difficult encounters so I could see how you actually pull off some of them.

steam_sig.png

Sixty -40- on Origin for some ME3 goodness.
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/brilliantinsanity/
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Koro your psuedo-LP of BG2 was a lot of fun to read, especially disecting what sort of loot you had, and your mage setups. It's always fun to see what people are doing with their casters because there's so much room for variety. I know I'd really enjoy an LP of BG1 with Tutu installed.

Besides I have a soft spot for BG1, especially with all the Welcome Wolves running around just outside Candlekeep.

Dunxco on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Koro your psuedo-LP of BG2 was a lot of fun to read, especially disecting what sort of loot you had, and your mage setups. It's always fun to see what people are doing with their casters because there's so much room for variety. I know I'd really enjoy an LP of BG1 with Tutu installed.

Besides I have a soft spot for BG1, especially with all the Welcome Wolves running around just outside Candlekeep.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHd5SOAdZO8

This is done after his LP of Baldur's Gate 2, which I've yet to watch. But he's pretty entertaining. And he has an accent, which makes it easier to listen to for some reason.

steam_sig.png
    I was looking at possibly introducing a few other mods into the mix, especially for BG2, but man... there just isn't a lot of really high-quality stuff out there. I was especially looking for interesting kit packs, but aside from Divine Remix (which does not play nice with Spell Revisions to the point where the two are essentially mutually exclusive) there just isn't much that pops out at me.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Finally got all my new Tutu mods up and running and in - as far as I can tell - a pretty rock solid load order.

The Throne of Bhaal Extender is an interesting piece of kit, though. It can remove class restrictions from races along with opening up Dual Classing for non-humans (and adding multi-classing for humans), among other fun little things. Things could get pretty wild now that you can "legally" roll a Dwarven Cleric/Mage or a Half-Orc Monk.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I need to go find it again, but I know at some point a guy was making a 3rd edition D&D version of BG using the Ice Wind Dale game and modding that. I think it was call Ice Wind Gate or something.

• Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Bigity wrote: »
    I need to go find it again, but I know at some point a guy was making a 3rd edition D&D version of BG using the Ice Wind Dale game and modding that. I think it was call Ice Wind Gate or something.

I think he's working on finishing up Black Mesa first. :P

If you care to look, it's here, but I don't think it's changed at all since I last checked it out like five years ago or something.

Vi Monks on

As far as I'm aware, it's still pretty feature-incomplete. It technically works, but it breaks a ton of stuff and has more or less been abandoned. Though I haven't really checked up on the project in a long time, so maybe it's farther along than I'm remembering.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular

IWD2 ran on pseudo-3E rules, if I recall. It's just changing the ruleset for BG2.

IWD2 ran on pseudo-3E rules, if I recall. It's just changing the ruleset for BG2.

The don't get it was in response to Vi Monks. :)

Black Mesa is an infamous Half-Life 2 mod that was going to painstakingly remake all of Half-Life 1 in the Source engine, going above and beyond what the eventual Half-Life Source from Valve did. Considering the project started not terribly long after Half-Life 2 came out and it's eight years later, you can imagine how much anticipation there still is for it to come out.

(the joke is that Icewind Gate is almost certainly never being finished)

ZvOMJnu.png
    edited July 2012
    so.. release date is september 18th. $17 dollars.

you can buy from here.
    http://www.beamdog.com/products/baldurs-gate-enhanced-edition

screenshots of the new areas look a little amateurish..

Deaderinred on
    "Improved multiplayer support with connectivity between all platforms"

say wha.

edited July 2012
    main site also updated with new info and pics

http://www.baldursgate.com/

if you look at the ipad buying page you can see shots of the new interface, i like it, kepts it classic but adds the new functions and doesnt waste space.

Deaderinred on
  • TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Ha. So now the official romance ratio is 4:1 female:Anomen.

i hope they troll everyone and put saralith-whatever her fucking name is into bg2ee. untouched.

• BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    Tenek wrote: »

Bear in mind BG1 didn't have romances, so this is a sort of sneaky announcement that they've made some new ones for the remake.

Bonus points if you can hit on Jaheira while her husband's still alive.

• TenekTenek Registered User regular
    Burnage wrote: »
    Tenek wrote: »

Bear in mind BG1 didn't have romances, so this is a sort of sneaky announcement that they've made some new ones for the remake.

Bonus points if you can hit on Jaheira while her husband's still alive.

But that's the only one they're advertising and... considering how big of a deal it is I would be surprised if they just happened to forget the new Yoshimo romance or something.

Um, the iPad edition mentions the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, and Tales of the Sword Coast.

Does 'entire Baldur's Gate adventure' also include BG2 and it's expansion?

i hope they troll everyone and put saralith-whatever her fucking name is into bg2ee. untouched.

I will find a way to kill you through the internet.

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Um, the iPad edition mentions the entire Baldur's Gate adventure, and Tales of the Sword Coast.

Does 'entire Baldur's Gate adventure' also include BG2 and it's expansion?

No, it includes the entire Baldur's Gate 1. They will be working on BG2EE next.

PSN|AspectVoid
    Ah oh well that works too :)

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Ah oh well that works too :)

I would expect BG2EE to come out quicker than BG1EE is. A lot of the work they had to do for BG1EE was upgrading the engine and getting the new GUI working. With that completed, BG2EE should be an easier process.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    Holy flark, Blackguards <3

Not only is the romance ratio 4:1 in favour of females you can pursue, all the ladies are at least part-Elf. Freakin' Elves, man.

The three new NPCs sound interesting and I look forward to their interactions with the party. Still hyped.

Are folks interested in getting some multiplayer together on this when it comes out and we have more information? I'd be down for that.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    And I've yet to see a single thing that makes this better than a modded BG1+2 still. All this EE seems to be, besides the iPad version which is cool, is a gimmick to try to resell the game at a higher price to those ignorant of the huge modding community that's been around for ages.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    And I've yet to see a single thing that makes this better than a modded BG1+2 still. All this EE seems to be, besides the iPad version which is cool, is a gimmick to try to resell the game at a higher price to those ignorant of the huge modding community that's been around for ages.

Completely seriously, the major thing that's got me interested in the EE is the possibility of decent party banter in BG1. Yeah, I know I could mod that in... but I never found BG1NPC that well written, certainly not compared to BG2. I'm pretty sure I've only completed the first game once, just because it feels too empty.

BG2's EE will be a harder sell.

• ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    That's probably enough in itself for some people though. I'd like to play BG again but just can't be arsed to mod it properly, given that I have about 3-4hrs a week space gaming time when not bothered by the wife and kids. Yeah, it's probably fairly easy but I'd rather pay for the convenience and also know that I'm buying a product that might help stimulate similar games to be created.

Back when this was first announced, the developers said that they intend for old BG1+2 mods to work with the EE. They even said they were trying to get old saves to be compatible, though no clue if they pulled that off. So if they get the mods working, there's really no downside to the EE -- other than having to buy it again, I guess.

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    My question is why is the iPad version $10 cheaper if it's the same game?

• ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Sweet Jesus... I didn't notice that! Half the price of the PC version when it was clearly more expensive to port and develop is CRIMINAL.

Stuff that, I wont buy this game on principle unless the PC version is at least equal in cost. I don't give a damn about the supply/demand economic model.

*edit* it seems that the PC version is complete with all content whereas the iPad version has the extra content as DLC? Still damn stupid.

Themadcow on
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    I'm sure someone did some research and found that people are more likely to spend $20 on a PC game but a lot of people will not spend that much on an iPad game.

I was actually hoping for a way to buy it and have cross platform saves etc. Play it some evening then wake up and grab the iPad for the commute to work and get to pick up where you left off the night before.

How does multi player in a a game like this work?

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    edited July 2012
    How does multi player in a a game like this work?

One player controls the protagonist, each player can be responsible for several of the party members. Protagonist controls dialogue choices, if I remember correctly.

Burnage on