Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

24567100

Posts

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couple of questions:

    1) Is the Baulderdash stuff compatible with BG Tutu?
    2) Is the Gamekeeper save editor compatible with BG Tutu?

    On the former, I thought BG Tutu had to be performed on a clean/unmodded BG1+2 installation.

    On the latter, I know it's a cheat but I always make a fighter with 18/00 strength and the best way to do that is hex editing your save, unless you feel like sitting there clicking REROLL for four hours.

    steam_sig.png
  • envoy1envoy1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

    1) Is the Baulderdash stuff compatible with BG Tutu?
    2) Is the Gamekeeper save editor compatible with BG Tutu?

    On the former, I thought BG Tutu had to be performed on a clean/unmodded BG1+2 installation.

    On the latter, I know it's a cheat but I always make a fighter with 18/00 strength and the best way to do that is hex editing your save, unless you feel like sitting there clicking REROLL for four hours.

    Brings me back to the days of starting a new fighter in proper AD&D with pencil and paper - praying for a high number with only three attempts.

    steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't have to reinstall BG1 and 2 because they are already on my computer.

    Class strengths change a little in tob. Specifically mage/clerics with time stop and buff spells and sorcerers in particular become ludicrously powerful when they have time stop, improved alacrity, and a bunch of abi dazims(with the robe of vecna of course). Mages are still good in classic though, just remember to use greater malasion before you cast your skull traps and what not.

    also you should try the improved demogorgon fight. just for fun. Ascention has it and really buffs the last fight as well.

  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What is this "Minsc isn't that funny" heresy

    Well I guess that's actually a fair observation if you're talking about BG1. The companions in BG1 say very little.

    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »
    Couple of questions:

    1) Is the Baulderdash stuff compatible with BG Tutu?
    2) Is the Gamekeeper save editor compatible with BG Tutu?

    On the former, I thought BG Tutu had to be performed on a clean/unmodded BG1+2 installation.

    On the latter, I know it's a cheat but I always make a fighter with 18/00 strength and the best way to do that is hex editing your save, unless you feel like sitting there clicking REROLL for four hours.

    Brings me back to the days of starting a new fighter in proper AD&D with pencil and paper - praying for a high number with only three attempts.

    Yeah, hahah. I remember that. The thing is, BG1+2 with expansions is, what, a 150+ hour investment? At this point in my life I just don't have that kind of time to mess around. So while I would love to play "authentically," I can forgive myself a minor bit of pre-cheesing to make my life easier.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Actually, different question:

    I have BG Tutu installed on my netbook, but I'd like to import it to the computer I'm on right now.

    Is there some easy way to do this without going through the entire installation process on this computer?

    steam_sig.png
  • JarsJars Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Use shadowkeeper if you want to tweak your characters. It lets you change a bunch of aestetic things too, like if you want Imoen to appear as a mage instead of a thief.

  • SerpicoSerpico Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Also, other than a Sorcerer, Wizardslayer(15)->Thief is probably the best character in the game. It makes Kensai/Thief or Kensai/Mage classes look like tiny little children.
    It hardly makes for a great class for 6-character parties, since even with the Thief gaining levels fast you're gonna be pretty much at ToB before you regain warrior levels. The big issue with many of the super good characters is that they take so long to get going (pretty much every dual/multiclass suffers from this) in big parties. Cleric/ranger is the only exception I can think of since level 4 - 5 spells is early enough to start exploiting the combination of druid/cleric spells, and even then I'm unsure if that was patched out or not.

  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Serpico wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Also, other than a Sorcerer, Wizardslayer(15)->Thief is probably the best character in the game. It makes Kensai/Thief or Kensai/Mage classes look like tiny little children.
    It hardly makes for a great class for 6-character parties, since even with the Thief gaining levels fast you're gonna be pretty much at ToB before you regain warrior levels. The big issue with many of the super good characters is that they take so long to get going (pretty much every dual/multiclass suffers from this) in big parties. Cleric/ranger is the only exception I can think of since level 4 - 5 spells is early enough to start exploiting the combination of druid/cleric spells, and even then I'm unsure if that was patched out or not.

    True, for six-person parties, it can take quite a while. But thieves gain levels so quickly that it's not that bad. Though in a six-person party, you may want to dual at 13 rather than 15 to speed things along. Of course, I'm a big fan of solo play or small parties, and I also use lots of tactics/improved battles mods, which lead to a good bit more experience over the course of the game. And no, they never patched out the cheesiness that is Ranger/Cleric.

  • OllibolliOllibolli Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Baldurdash is pretty old, the G3 BG2 Fixpack is much newer. I also have to mention the Widescreen Mod which is a must for anyone with a widescreen monitor.

  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Not quite on topic, but I was never able to play more than the first couple of hours of Planescape:Torment. I noticed recently that there are some sellers on Amazon that are selling imported copies of the UK DVD re-release for around $20.

    Does anyone here have experience with this release? Would there be any difficulties using a UK version on this side of the Atlantic? Most importantly, how does P:T work on the latest versions of Windows and the newest graphics cards? (I know the Baldur's Gate series have some issues with newer nVidia cards.)

    Thanks in advance.

  • OrcaOrca Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Not quite on topic, but I was never able to play more than the first couple of hours of Planescape:Torment. I noticed recently that there are some sellers on Amazon that are selling imported copies of the UK DVD re-release for around $20.

    Does anyone here have experience with this release? Would there be any difficulties using a UK version on this side of the Atlantic? Most importantly, how does P:T work on the latest versions of Windows and the newest graphics cards? (I know the Baldur's Gate series have some issues with newer nVidia cards.)

    Thanks in advance.

    I was able to play Planescape: Torment on XP, but the resolution was a bit tweaked; it has no widescreen support, and no high resolution support. Other than that, no problems. So I'm thinking if you get the windows compatibility thing you should be fine.

    evilthecat wrote: »
    "Bioware I want to suck on your teets of gamingness".

    The 2012 issue of Fornax. | Steam and Origin: Espressosaurus
  • Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't actually gotten around to playing Planescape with this, but I have been looking forward to it for a long time.
    The Planescape: Torment Fixpack is a comprehensive WeiDU Fixpack for Black Isle's classic Planescape: Torment CRPG.
    Fixing literally hundreds of bugs and thousands of typos, thereby restoring a lot of lost and inactive content, the PS:T Fixpack (along with PS:T Unfinished Business and Qwinn's PS:T Tweak Pack) provides a completely new Planescape: Torment experience!

    Also, there's a widescreen mod for all the IE games (at least I'm pretty sure): G3 Widescreen Mod.

    I know for certain it works on Torment, and it looks amazing.

  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I haven't actually gotten around to playing Planescape with this, but I have been looking forward to it for a long time.
    The Planescape: Torment Fixpack is a comprehensive WeiDU Fixpack for Black Isle's classic Planescape: Torment CRPG.
    Fixing literally hundreds of bugs and thousands of typos, thereby restoring a lot of lost and inactive content, the PS:T Fixpack (along with PS:T Unfinished Business and Qwinn's PS:T Tweak Pack) provides a completely new Planescape: Torment experience!

    Also, there's a widescreen mod for all the IE games (at least I'm pretty sure): G3 Widescreen Mod.

    I know for certain it works on Torment, and it looks amazing.

    You need the Widescree UI mod too, otherwise the UI goes all bonkers. It does look amazingly gorgeous with the whole setup.

    I can't understand people saying that they can't play Infinity Engine games because of the looks. IMHO the hand made backgrounds have aged a hell lot better than 3D PSX games, for instance. Sure, the characters are kinda tiny and featureless, but all the areas are so pretty...

    I'm also very glad I was raised on AD&D 2nd Ed... the IE games make perfect sense to me, even if I'm not savvy enough to go super minmax like you fellow addicts.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • ZellZell Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Not quite on topic, but I was never able to play more than the first couple of hours of Planescape:Torment. I noticed recently that there are some sellers on Amazon that are selling imported copies of the UK DVD re-release for around $20.

    Does anyone here have experience with this release? Would there be any difficulties using a UK version on this side of the Atlantic? Most importantly, how does P:T work on the latest versions of Windows and the newest graphics cards? (I know the Baldur's Gate series have some issues with newer nVidia cards.)

    Thanks in advance.
    Planescape Torment also has issues with nvidia cards, there are workarounds available so it shouldn't be a problem. Haven't tested with my ATI card.

    I think the UK and US versions are exactly the same... Only PC game I can think of at the moment with major changes between the UK and US versions is Silver... Anyway, you should keep in mind that the DVD re-release is basically the four original discs put on one DVD, so you need the latest patch before you start installing fixpack, widescreen release etc.

  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I lol'd when Aerie called uncle Quayle 'the kindest and wisest person I know'. Flashback to BG1, wasn't Quayle that dick cleric who sucked cause his wisdom was so low? Initiate conversation, "Whaddya need?!" in Mandark-voice...yes.

    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zell wrote: »
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Not quite on topic, but I was never able to play more than the first couple of hours of Planescape:Torment. I noticed recently that there are some sellers on Amazon that are selling imported copies of the UK DVD re-release for around $20.

    Does anyone here have experience with this release? Would there be any difficulties using a UK version on this side of the Atlantic? Most importantly, how does P:T work on the latest versions of Windows and the newest graphics cards? (I know the Baldur's Gate series have some issues with newer nVidia cards.)

    Thanks in advance.
    Planescape Torment also has issues with nvidia cards, there are workarounds available so it shouldn't be a problem. Haven't tested with my ATI card.

    I think the UK and US versions are exactly the same... Only PC game I can think of at the moment with major changes between the UK and US versions is Silver... Anyway, you should keep in mind that the DVD re-release is basically the four original discs put on one DVD, so you need the latest patch before you start installing fixpack, widescreen release etc.

    PST runs perfectly on my HD4850

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nobody ever answered this. Does anyone know? Going through the entire process again would be...a pain:
    Drez wrote: »
    I have BG Tutu installed on my netbook, but I'd like to import it to the computer I'm on right now.

    Is there some easy way to do this without going through the entire installation process on this computer?

    Barring that, I have both the massive disc version of BG1, TotSC, BG2, and ToB, but I also now have the Baldur's Gate 4-in-1 Boxset. Can I use that to install BG1Tutu fresh?

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No one? :(

    You guys got me interested again and now I have Baldur Gate BlueBalls.

    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you could have installed BG1, BG2, the exp packs and TUTU while you waited.
    I don't think copying the folder from one pc to another would work, anyway.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you could have installed BG1, BG2, the exp packs and TUTU while you waited.
    I don't think copying the folder from one pc to another would work, anyway.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Baldurs Gate / BG2 TOB and Planescape are like good books for me, once every 3 years or so ill play them all again. Its a bit nerdy but i even have the maps framed and up on my wall. I still think that Irenicus and Bhall and Saravok are the best bad guys out there.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    you could have installed BG1, BG2, the exp packs and TUTU while you waited.
    I don't think copying the folder from one pc to another would work, anyway.

    Yeah, but:

    a) It's not the time I care about, it's that installing everything is a big pain in the dick.

    b) I already have it set up exactly how I want it on my netbook, with all tweaks, mods, and patches done. The only thing I think I'd have to change is the widescreen dimensions with the widescreen mod.

    c) I cannot find out of the 4-in-1 boxset will work. I assume so, but I'm not sure. I also cannot find out anywhere what patches (if any) I will need with the 4-in-1 boxset installation. Normal Easy Tutu ToB installation requires patching TotSC and ToB after each is installed. But that's for the 5 disc version of BG1 and the disc version of BG2. Mention is made to the Original Saga release as well. I don't see anything about the boxset release.

    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well, dude, then just copy it over and test. I wouldn't know about the different disk versions, I have the original "Game plus exp disk" separate versions. I don't think there are any major differences, your version is either the same as the old versions, or the same as the old versions + last patch.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Well...I decided to just reinstall. And I'm halfway done with that. I guess I'm still confused by the order of operations, but this is what I *think* I need to do. Note: The 4-in-1 Boxset apparently doesn't have the latest patches):

    1) Install Baldur's Gate 1
    2) Install Tales of the Sword Coast
    3) Patch Tales of the Sword Coast to the latest version
    4) Install Baldur's Gate 2
    5) Install Throne of Bhaal
    6) Patch Throne of Bhaal to the latest version
    7) Install EasyTutu_ToB
    8) Install EasyTutu Degreenifier
    8) Install TutuFix v17
    9) Install G3 BG2 Fixpack
    10) Install G3 Widescreen Mod
    11) Run the game
    12) Make a warrior princess named Xena
    13) Kick ass
    14) Take names

    (steps 12 through 14 are optional)

    Now, I'm pretty sure I have the order mostly right, except I'm still confused about a few things.

    First, I'm not sure when I should install the G3 BG2 Bugfix pack. Should it be before or after TutuFix? Or should it be before Tutu itself? Or should it be last? I'm confused on that point.

    Second, the page here (http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=8122) says that you should "prepare for conversion" by doing the following:
    Test Vanilla Install and Set Graphics
    Run Baldurs gate and Baldur's Gate - SoA once to set graphics.

    Edit baldur.ini for debugging and CLUAConsole
    Browse to your BGII game directory, find the file: baldur.ini, and add the line: Debug Mode=1

    Create Backups for simple reversion to a clean install
    A: Copy your installed BG and BG2 folders onto any backup media
    OR
    B: .rar, .zip, or otherwise archive your full core installations, so that you can easily revert without a complete reinstall.
    OR
    C: Visit the PPG instructions on creating smaller backups

    Prepare CD ISO or virtual drive if you would like to prevent extra wear and tear on your disks (instructions not yet prepared)

    Download the latest version of WeiDU for Windows or OSX and extract it someplace safe, outside of your game directory, so that it is available when you are ready to add mods later on.

    So I know I'm probably overthinking things, but:

    1) Why would I load up Shadows of Amn to set graphics. That doesn't even make sense to me. Once everything is installed, it's "Throne of Bhall." AFAIK, it's not even called Shadows of Amn anymore, is it? Anyway, it's no longer independent of ToB.

    2) Why would I need to do that anyway if I'm going to install the widescreen patch later? Won't that wipe out my graphics settings?

    3) I don't remember editing the .ini file last time to allow debug mode. Is that really necessary? What is that for?

    4) What do I need WeiDU for? I assume that'd be needed if I was installing mods other than the bugfix executables I'm installing?

    Thanks for any help/info/direction.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Okay, no, I think I'm wrong. The G3 BG2 Bugfix page suggests installing this fix AFTER official patches but BEFORE any other mods, which I assume includes the conversion.

    Sorry, it's just hard to get this information because a lot of it is years-old now and in various locations with some contradictory information.

    So I guess the correct order would be:

    1) Install Baldur's Gate 1
    2) Install Tales of the Sword Coast
    3) Patch Tales of the Sword Coast to the latest version
    4) Install Baldur's Gate 2
    5) Install Throne of Bhaal
    6) Patch Throne of Bhaal to the latest version
    7) Install G3 BG2 Fixpack
    8) Install EasyTutu_ToB
    9) Install EasyTutu Degreenifier
    10) Install TutuFix v17
    11) Install G3 Widescreen Mod

    steam_sig.png
  • ZellZell Registered User
    edited April 2010
    Pretty sure Tales of the Sword Coast is already patched to the latest version.

  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Zell wrote: »
    Pretty sure Tales of the Sword Coast is already patched to the latest version.

    Not in Boxset 4-in-1. Only in The Original Saga (3 disc version). The Boxset is as unpatched as the 5 and 6 disc versions of BG1.

    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is a patch for TotSC, but you shouldn't need to patch vanilla BG1.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is a patch for TotSC, but you shouldn't need to patch vanilla BG1.

    Yeah, that's what I meant.

    TotSC installation brings BG1 to its latest version. Then you patch TotSC.
    Same for SoA and ToB.

    Is there something similar to the BG2 Bug Fix for BG1 that I should be installing as well?

    steam_sig.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Uee Citizen Record #2051 Über Star CitizenRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nope, I think Tutu already gets rid of most bugs.

    Steam: Stormwatcher | XBL: Stormwatcher 21 | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Gamecenter: Stormwatcher33 | 3DS: 0130-2805-2850
    steam_sig.png
  • envoy1envoy1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    Okay, no, I think I'm wrong. The G3 BG2 Bugfix page suggests installing this fix AFTER official patches but BEFORE any other mods, which I assume includes the conversion.

    Sorry, it's just hard to get this information because a lot of it is years-old now and in various locations with some contradictory information.

    So I guess the correct order would be:

    1) Install Baldur's Gate 1
    2) Install Tales of the Sword Coast
    3) Patch Tales of the Sword Coast to the latest version
    4) Install Baldur's Gate 2
    5) Install Throne of Bhaal
    6) Patch Throne of Bhaal to the latest version
    7) Install G3 BG2 Fixpack
    8) Install EasyTutu_ToB
    9) Install EasyTutu Degreenifier
    10) Install TutuFix v17
    11) Install G3 Widescreen Mod

    Thanks Drez. My 4-in-1 pack is on its way and this saves me a lot of hassle to know in advance. Can't wait to get immersed.

    steam_sig.png
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Stormwatcher, thanks.

    envoy1: No problem.

    I actually deleted everything and started over. This is the exact order I used, and what I installed:

    1) Install Baldur's Gate 1
    2) Install Tales of the Sword Coast
    3) Install latest Tales of the Sword Coast patch (US patch 5512) found here
    4) Install latest Tales of the Sword Coast DX8 patch found here
    5) Install Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn
    6) Install Throne of Bhaal
    7) Install Throne of Bhaal patch to version 26498 found here
    8) Install EasyTutu_ToB found here
    9) Install EasyTutu Degreenifier v4 found here
    10) Install G3 Widescreen Mod found here

    What changed from my previous list:

    First of all, I was confused about the G3 BG2 Fixpack. There's two different things - the G3 BG2 Fixpack and the G3 BG2 Tweakpack. The EasyTutu installation succeeded, but I decided to start fresh without the Fixpack. It's hard to suss out exactly what it does, but I feel as though it is probably mostly unneeded as EasyTutu applies its own rather extensive set of fixes.

    I also excised the TutuFix (which is actually up to version 18 instead of 17 as I previously stated). The reason is this: I prefer a rather "authentic" experience. As much as possible anyway. By that I mean I prefer the core mechanics of the game to reflect as much of the developers' initial intentions as possible. EasyTutu comes with a number of "core fixes" however all of these fixes have been vetted so that the modders responsible for EasyTutu believe that the core fixes simply fix bugs and other little things to bring the game to what they intended, or rather make minor fixes and adjustments while keeping the game to what the developers initially intended.

    TutuFix v18 includes some other optional fixes but most of them are ambiguous with regard to developer intent. So in this go-around I decided not to bother. One main fix that people do like to install with TutuFix is "BG1 Ammo Stacks." In BG2, apparently the ammo stacks you can buy and carry were halved from 40 and 10 for arrows and darts or whatever to 20 and 5. But again I'd rather just play authentically.

    Also, I'm not sure the TotSC DX8 patch is really needed, but I decided to install it and it hasn't seemed to have caused any problems, so I guess I recommend it. It was solely for multiplayer way back when the patch was released.

    steam_sig.png
  • BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This thread inspired me to start Planescape again and finally stick with it. I've been at it for about 13 hours now and haven't even met Pharod yet. The game pulls off "hopelessness" better than any other game I've played. Try as I might, I just can't hear A.D. Skinner's voice in Dak'kon. I guess that's a compliment to Mitch Pileggi. I already have some suspicions as to how the plot is going to play out, and I'm really looking forward to seeing how accurate they are.

    The character movement animation kind of drives me nuts, though. If a character is facing west, then you have him run southeast, he'll move in that direction with full animation but will still face west. I'm not sure if that's the way the game is or if it's a result of using the widescreen fix and UI mod.

    steam_sig.png
  • envoy1envoy1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I finally got my 4-1 last night and installed it all according to Drez' exellent instructions and just created my first character (a dwarven barbarian, even managed to get 18/98 strength). I don't care that it looks dated, am already loving the slightly retro feel and the almost friendly interface. Having some trouble with the complete lack of manuals so don't know how to use the quick slots yet, but I'm sure that'll iron itself out quickly enough.

    I do want to know if I'm ok to approach this as an AD&D adventure or are there specific game mechanics that I need to lok out for? I fear I may have screwed my character by giving him two specisalisations in axe (in addition to two-hand and sling for distanc), should I have spread these weapon talents more widely or is it better to specialise in one weapon?

    steam_sig.png
  • TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    envoy1 wrote: »
    I finally got my 4-1 last night and installed it all according to Drez' exellent instructions and just created my first character (a dwarven barbarian, even managed to get 18/98 strength). I don't care that it looks dated, am already loving the slightly retro feel and the almost friendly interface. Having some trouble with the complete lack of manuals so don't know how to use the quick slots yet, but I'm sure that'll iron itself out quickly enough.

    I do want to know if I'm ok to approach this as an AD&D adventure or are there specific game mechanics that I need to lok out for? I fear I may have screwed my character by giving him two specisalisations in axe (in addition to two-hand and sling for distanc), should I have spread these weapon talents more widely or is it better to specialise in one weapon?

    The rule of DnD and RPGS in general is the more focused, the better, ESPECIALLY when you're running with a full team of other characters. Ride the two-handed axe train as far as it can go.

    steam_sig.png
  • DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Great, guess I'll be blasting through this again. Not that it's a problem though!

    Step one: Grab Lilacor.
    Step two: Give it to Minsc.
    Step three: Laugh.

  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User
    edited April 2010
    When my son was learning to crawl he got into my computer room, hit the eject button on my DVD-ROM drive, and ended up scratching the hell out of my BG II disc 2. I tried to reinstall it the other day but it doesn't work.

    This is a disturbing development.

  • envoy1envoy1 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    When my son was learning to crawl he got into my computer room, hit the eject button on my DVD-ROM drive, and ended up scratching the hell out of my BG II disc 2. I tried to reinstall it the other day but it doesn't work.

    This is a disturbing development.

    You need to save some of those Andraste's ashes for the disc then.

    steam_sig.png
  • S.S. Registered User
    edited April 2010
    For first time mage players, http://www.sorcerers.net/Games/BG2/SpellsReference/Main.htm is a really good resource. Hell, most experienced players probably don't know all the tricks listed there. I'm pretty sure some of the tricks with contingencies don't work in the latest patch, though.

Sign In or Register to comment.