As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• BullioBullio Registered User regular
    Is it just me or do the character sprites in this screenshot look cartoony ala Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes?

sc1.jpg

steam_sig.png
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Photoshopping aside, those are sprites from BG, just washed out looking.

1208768734831.jpg
  • ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    They're also from BG1 using the BG2 interface screen.

I hope that's a hint and not just laziness.

• GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Is the enhanced edition also coming to PC, or is this only for iOS/iPad?

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    It's coming to PC, yes.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    How do I kick people out of my party in BG2? I don't want these evil people (Montaron and Xzar I think they're called) and also they suck.

B6yM5w2.gif
    edited March 2012
    Hit R to go to your character sheet (any character, doesn't matter), and click Reform Party at the bottom. Then click on who you want to boot and hit Remove. Monty and Xzar are linked, so kicking out one will boot the other. Just be careful about booting people out, since there's no way to get them back unless you've modded it to allow you to.

(Montaron is actually, mechanically, a very good character. Xzar is average, but yeah, if you don't want evil dudes around, they're pretty insufferable)

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just send folks in first when I want them gone.

Trap fodder is always useful.

Oh Yoshimoooooooooo :whistle: Can you dance on the head of a pin, as well? :whistle:

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • tsmvengytsmvengy Registered User regular
    So if I want to get my Icewind Dale 2 on is there any list of mods that I should install?

steam_sig.png
  • vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    That's it. I found my discs. Reinstalling.
    It's like a withdraw symptom.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
    edited March 2012
    So I currently have both Alora and Xan in the same party.

There's a joke about attitude whiplash in there somewhere, but damn if I can find it.

Edit: And continuing my BG1 misadventures, I am reminded why I don't play BG1 all that much, and that reason is Minor Globe of Motherfucking Invulnerability. Especially mages with multiple memorized. God dammit these things are infuriating and even if I were somehow level 7 to gain access to Secret Word, I couldn't cast the damn thing because nobody will sell the scroll to learn it!

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Ah getting one-shot by the wolves in the 2nd area on the way to the Friendly Arm Inn. Fond memories.

This game should be like Paranoia and give you 6 copies to start with.

• vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So. BG2. Which NPC mod or npc expansion(s) should I run with this time?

I can't decide.

• EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    The answer is none. Seriously though, I can't think of a single one that's done well. Feel free to clout me in the head if I'm wrong though.

EVOL on
  • CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Imoen romance mod!

• AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    There was an NPC sorceress mod I used to use simply because it was the only way to get a sorcerer NPC in the party. The writing in the mod wasn't all that good, but it gave me the NPC class I wanted, so I didn't really mind.

PSN|AspectVoid
    EVOL wrote: »
    The answer is none. Seriously though, I can't think of a single one that's done well. Feel free to clout me in the head if I'm wrong though.

From what I've played of it, Solaufein is surprisingly decent (especially being a Weimer mod) and he's not insanely overpowered like Valen is from her mod. Some of the "BG1 NPCs in BG2" mods are supposed to be okay as well, like Xan or Tiax.

There was also one mod with some human Necromancer lady you could get that was written fairly well, even if the character herself was kind of grating.

Basically if a mod has "All new custom voice acting!" as a bullet point, I avoid it like the plague. I can deal with or ignore poorly-written dialogue, but bad voice acting? Uggggh.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Wow, I hate to be annoying but I had two questions.

This is coming out for the iPad2 too, right?

Second, have they talked about cross console saves? I think it would be awesome to play on my PC then go on a trip or commute and be able to get my save and keep playing.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    According to Trent Oster from Beamdog it's for all three generations of iPad. He also said there's going to be cloud saving options, but I'm not certain if it means cross-platform saves or not. I'd imagine "yes" unless the iOS version has to have a drastically different save format.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    That is exciting.

I can't wait to play this on the porch or down at the park. Any time I can sit and enjoy the outdoors and relax playing a video game is a win.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
    SCS-boosted Wolf of Ulcaster encounter defeated. Not a bad fight if you can negate the Wolf's fear and have enough +1 or better weapons to fight it with. Minsc was the hero of the day here, tanking the wolf while Berserked at first while Alora plinked away at it with +1 fire arrows and Quayle emptied his stock of Magic Missiles into it. Charname took up the rear guard with Xan and Garrick, taking out the infinitely spawning Dread Wolves (I killed at least twenty of them, and at 650 xp a pop they made up for the horrible xp rewards for killing the insanely powerful Icharyd up top).

Minsc was doing no damage with his plain two-handed sword, which actually ended up to my advantage because it allowed me to kill a ton of extra wolves while the fight went on longer; the vampiric wolf itself isn't too much of a threat physically, but its once-per-turn Fear and the wolves that run in to help are what can make the fight really difficult. After his Berserk wore off, I went "screw it" and tossed him the Cursed Sword of Berserking +3, which ended the fight lickety-split while still keeping him immune to fear. Luckily the sword's berserking wore off while the clean-up crew were still taking out wolves, otherwise Alora and Quayle would've had an interesting time trying to kite Minsc around that cramped little room.

All in all a fun encounter.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Shadowen wrote: »

the character sprites are bg2's, look at the shields, its pretty much bgtutu with new chapter screens.

Deaderinred on
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I would kill for a mod that let's you swtich between a sword/board and a bow without hassle. Having to pause, remove the bow, and then move the shield from inventory to weapon slot is annoying. And taking single weapon style makes you lose out on some shield action.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular

the character sprites are bg2's, look at the shields, its pretty much bgtutu with new chapter screens.
    That actually looks like BG2 with an all premade party, because I don't remember the BG NPCs using a couple of those portraits.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Those portraits are all in BG 1. And you can play 1 as "multiplayer".

Its a mock-up though, so its a rather pointless argument.

1208768734831.jpg
    Hoz wrote: »

That actually looks like BG2 with an all premade party, because I don't remember the BG NPCs using a couple of those portraits.

no thats bg1, its in the tutorial area in candelkeep, you get that party to teach you how to use a party.

im not sure on the mockup stuff.. i mean that chapter screen looks sweet as.

• HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    Oh right, now I remember that part.

So, the BG2 interface is their interface revision? That's kinda sad.

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular

Those are mockups, none of that has been confirmed as what it's going to be like in the final product.

JtgVX0H.png
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Do we have any pricing info? Because I've never played BG1, y'all have got me wanting to, and if BGEE is going to be more than $10 it'll be really easy for me to justify just buying the original soon.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012

They said that the current interface is a placeholder. At the moment they were mostly focusing on optimizing on the touch screen controls, so the interface update is coming next.
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    Do we have any pricing info? Because I've never played BG1, y'all have got me wanting to, and if BGEE is going to be more than $10 it'll be really easy for me to justify just buying the original soon.

It's going to cost less than 10$ from what I heard.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36260712&postcount=1

EVOL on
    Haha, welp. Beat down the Iron Throne gang in the bandit camp tent fairly painlessly (skull trap, glyph of warding, and a fireball takes out people pretty nicely), so I figured "Hey, this group usually gives me more trouble than anything, so the camp should be a cinch!"

Walked out, immediately nailed Taugosz with a Power Word: Sleep and proceeded to very quickly murder him... and then, no lie, about 25 Black Talon and Chill bandits popped into view. Garrick sailed another fireball into them, after which they all immediately quaffed Healing and Extra-Healing potions, undoing all my damage. I then said "fuck that", summoned some monsters to cover my exit, and fucking bolted.

About 1500 xp per person and maybe 2000 gold worth of bandit scalps is not worth that pain.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »

They said that the current interface is a placeholder. At the moment they were mostly focusing on optimizing on the touch screen controls, so the interface update is coming next.
    Mahnmut wrote: »

It's going to cost less than 10$ from what I heard.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=36260712&postcount=1

Oh. Well... good!

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Haha, welp. Beat down the Iron Throne gang in the bandit camp tent fairly painlessly (skull trap, glyph of warding, and a fireball takes out people pretty nicely), so I figured "Hey, this group usually gives me more trouble than anything, so the camp should be a cinch!"

Walked out, immediately nailed Taugosz with a Power Word: Sleep and proceeded to very quickly murder him... and then, no lie, about 25 Black Talon and Chill bandits popped into view. Garrick sailed another fireball into them, after which they all immediately quaffed Healing and Extra-Healing potions, undoing all my damage. I then said "fuck that", summoned some monsters to cover my exit, and fucking bolted.

About 1500 xp per person and maybe 2000 gold worth of bandit scalps is not worth that pain.

Goodness gracious. I take it you're using the "call for help" and potions components of SCS?

I'm going to try SCS for my next playthrough, but I think I'll limit it to some of the smarter AI and spell tweaks.

edited March 2012
    Darmak wrote: »

Those are mockups, none of that has been confirmed as what it's going to be like in the final product.

i really dont know about that. i mean, this shot has a new image of candlekeep on one of the chapter menus, the positioning is exactly set up for bg2 style interface, either they are keeping the bg2 colours or are later just changing the colours to match bg1 rather than just using the positions of bg1's interface from a straight interface port (which are different)

2Pk0r.jpg

Deaderinred on
  • WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    You know, I've thought for a long time I wouldn't have any use for an iPad. But this... this might be changing my opinion. :p

edited March 2012
    Fanda wrote: »

Goodness gracious. I take it you're using the "call for help" and potions components of SCS?

I'm going to try SCS for my next playthrough, but I think I'll limit it to some of the smarter AI and spell tweaks.

Yeah, I've been using those two components. Smarter Calls for Help has been pretty good so far, but I suspect that the enormous horde of bandits is something SCS-specific, like escaping the Drow city in BG2 - you're meant to run and not actually conquer the place. If I had Alora or someone with really good pickpocketing (Garrick, as a Skald, has a massive penalty to his) I could've run through the place filching all the potions from all the bandits before starting the fight sequences and that would've been a decent method of testing it.

As for the potions part, basically after about level 4 all human and demi-human enemies are going to have at least healing potions and named opponents will usually be sporting 6-10 various healing and buff potions. This is something that, usually, spices up some battles with named folks to make them more interesting, but also has the side effect of making all battles with humanoid enemies drag on much longer than they really need to. This is especially prevalent in BG2 where more or less every potion-capable enemy is going to be able to make themselves immune to a litany of things (you may as well just dump any mind-affecting spells from your spellbooks) using about 1200 gp worth of potions. It also has the further side effect of making enemy thieves extraordinarily deadly because they will be guaranteed to have at least 3-4 Invisibility potions which they will chug, backstab, chug, backstab, chug, backstab. Normally I wouldn't have too much of a problem with this, but enemy thieves can backstab from any direction due to engine limitations, so moving your squishier characters around to hopefully avoid it won't work. It also means you have to dedicate even more of your spell slots to invisibility-busting spells.

I always hem and haw for a good 20 minutes when it comes to deciding whether or not to install that component (and I'm seriously considering going back into SCS 2 and disabling it for BG2) but I usually end up doing it anyway because I'm a complete idiot.

And as a bonus, have some more Item Revision shenanigans:
    BGMain%202012-03-27%2010-48-52-96.jpgBGMain%202012-03-27%2010-49-10-11.jpg

Both of these are on Khalid.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    are those in scs? i dont remember getting them with those crazy stats.

edited March 2012
    Item Revisions. It's mainly balanced with an eye towards BG2 but affects some BG1 stuff as well, so you sometimes get some amusingly powerful things. Most powerful magic items in BG2 get significant nerfs, though. But mainly Demi's (the mod's author) take on cursed items in BG seems to be one where there's significant downsides to equipping the items, but there should be some very strong upsides as well, so that you can have some very powerful stuff if you're willing to take the risk.

In normal BG the Vampire's Revenge was completely worthless. With IR it's very powerful but requires you to be in constant combat or else you'll slowly drain out if you don't dump tons of healing potions on yourself.

Unless, of course, you find a certain cloak that gives you passive regeneration that's faster than the sword's drain.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    EDIT: Nevermind, misread the regeneration rate on the cloak. Still, a nice combo!

Fanda on
    Both of these are on Khalid.

I wonder how Khalid feels about that.
    Ouch. Aaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah. Ouch. Aaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah. Ouch. Aaaaaah. Ow! Aaaaah.
    If it doesn't drive him insane, it would probably turn him into a masochist.