As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Good grief.

Okay, I seriously have a Wand Problem. I have so many wands and wand-like items, and I literally cannot use them up fast enough. My current stock is:

- 5 wands of fire
    - 5 wands of paralyzation
    - 3 wands of monster summoning
    - 3 wands of lightning
    - 3 wands of fear
    - 2 necklaces of missiles
    - 2 wands of magic missiles
    - 1 wand of frost

Put another way, that's about 80 Fireballs, 65 Agannazar's Scorchers (Item Revisions un-links the abilities on Wands of Fire, so a wand with 9 charges of Fireball and Scorcher will have a total of 18 spells you can cast), 50 Hold Person/Monster, 40-ish summons of fodder monsters, 22 Lightning Bolts (one of the lightning wands came with only one charge :(), 25 or so Horror casts, about 30 magic missiles, and 9 ice blasts.

I constantly use the things (though the Fear and Paralyzation wands tend to get saved against pretty easily) and I keep finding so damn many! It's a good problem to have, I guess, but sheesh.

That's not even going into the truly ludicrous amount of potions I have.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    the status effects are kind of useless because the enemies in tob, especially difficulty enhanced tob, you want them to work on either don't let you have time to drop traps, or are immune to them. which is where spike traps come in. maybe illisara, but even improved she is still pretty easy.

• Options
    Tales of the Sword Coast cleared.
    The final Durlag's Tower battle was rough, but not as bad as I anticipated. The Demonknight hit like a truck, but luckily potions and Coran with really good arrows won the day. Smashing the mirror and spawning clones of my party would've made the fight infinitely more difficult, since SCS makes the clones perfect copies of your party... down to the inventory.

The initial cultist ambush you get when you first go back to Ulgoth's Beard, however, was probably the hardest fight I've had in the game. Ten super-powered cultists, two of them assassins with bottomless piles of invisibility potions and 3x damage backstabs and one of them a Fighter/Mage with enough levels to have very easy access to level 6 spells and your party comes in unbuffed (with no time to prepare) and Fatigued from travel times. Sheer luck of the dice was the only way to win this, with Quayle getting off a Dispel Invisibility to keep the assassins wasting turns drinking their potions when they'd be immediately be revealed along with Garrick managing a lucky hit with a Wand of Fear, sending the Fighter/Mage and a couple archers scrambling. After that it was largely mop-up. The next two cultist battles went largely the same, though the line of sight issues in the storehouse battle made it really annoying for Coran to keep the constantly Shadow Door-ing wizard in check.

The final battle against the cultist leader and the demon Aec'Lectec went... surprisingly very well. I overprepared to hell and gone, popping multiple 5-minute duration buff potions on every party member and making sure I didn't waste a single second in buffing. When I went downstairs I had the immensely great fortune to spawn right in front of the cult leader. Auto-pause managed to freeze everything before she made her big evil speech, so I took the opportunity to wind up no less than three wands of lightning (for those following at home, that's 6d6 damage... nine times) to off her pretty much instantly as soon as she got through talking. After that, Xan summoned a pack of dire wolves from a wand (who all managed to somehow, beyond all conceivable odds, tank the incredibly powerful demon for at least a full minute) and most of my party spammed fireballs on the stationary cultists to take them out as quickly as possible.

After that it was pretty much just tank-and-spank.

The warhammer given as a reward was very underwhelming. A simple +1 weapon that does a paltry 1d4 acid damage on hit with a 50% chance on hit that it'll lower an enemy's AC by 1 for 12 seconds. May have some use against the final boss, but eh.

Time to finish up the main plot and head on to BG2!

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote: »
    Of course, if you're using Rogue Rebalancing, then Bounty Hunters are nerfed into the ground, so in that case they do get obsoleted. In fact, RR Bounty Hunters are probably not even worth really using.

RR is hells of frustrating. For every one good thing it does or changes it does at least one annoying thing to balance it out.

I mean look at this crap (from the Rogue Rebalancing readme, the Bounty Hunter changes):
    Alchemical Traps:
    Combining his superior trap setting skills with alchemical knowledge, a Bounty Hunter can create traps that are primarily designed for incapacitating his opponents, rather than killing them outright. The effects of the traps vary according to the Bounty Hunter's level, but always last for five rounds and can be negated by a successful saving throw vs. breath:

1st: trap deals 2d4 points of subdual damage and dazzles the target
    6th: trap deals 4d4 points of subdual damage and slows the target
    11th: trap deals 6d4 points of subdual damage and entangles the target
    16th: trap deals 8d4 points of subdual damage and blinds the target
    21st: trap deals 10d4 points of subdual damage and renders the target unconscious

Note: subdual damage is non-lethal and will render the target unconscious if its hit points drop below 0 instead of killing it. Constructs, Elementals, Slimes and Undead creatures are immune to subdual damage.
    Note: The setting range of the Alchemical Traps has been reduced to normal (i.e. they cannot be "thrown" as in the unmodded game). Furthermore, the traps no longer have the spell-like Maze/Otiluke's Resilient Sphere effects and the physical damage component (which was missing from level 16 onward) has been restored. Their new secondary effects are alchemical (rather than magical) in nature and therefore completely ignore any magic resistance of their targets. However, specific creatures may be innately immune to certain effects. For example, Constructs, Slimes, Elementals and Undead creatures cannot be dazzled or rendered unconscious, flying and incorporeal creatures like Wyverns, Beholders, Shadows, Mists, Air and Fire Elementals cannot be slowed by the grease effect, while exceptionally large creatures (Dragons, Giants, Iron Golems) and incorporeal creatures (Shadows, Mists, Air and Fire Elementals) cannot be entangled. It should also be noted that slowed, entangled and blinded creatures temporarily lose any dexterity bonus to their armor class since they cannot dodge attacks effectively while they are incapacitated.

And you can't choose to have the (very nice) Swashbuckler and Assassin changes while skipping the Bounty Hunter ones, oh no. Gotta have all or nothin'.

Ouch. That is pretty bad. And default Bounty Hunters were already so much fun.

• Options
    BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    I don't think I've ever used traps in BG2. We never used them in the PnP game so I just never put much thought into it. I never have points to spare for that crap anyway.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Traps can be amazingly useful, even beyond the "place a bunch of them around a neutral dragon and then attack" cheese. Sadly BG2 doesn't have quite as many really good opportunities to lead enemies into them - a lot of the fights that are hard enough for laying traps to make a big difference end up being ambushes you get into the instant you zone into an area - so the default Bounty Hunter's ability to "throw" traps becomes incredibly useful.

I wouldn't even mind Rogue Rebalancing's changes to the trap damage and effects that much if I could still toss them.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    My dude just hit level 5 mage and I don't have a single level 3 spell. Grrrr. Arrggh.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    That's... unusual. What kind of mage? And what's your INT?

Oh, wait, you hit level 5 and simply don't have any level 3 spells scribed to your spellbook, I assume.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    High Hedge is a place to get alot of spells.

• Options
    Haha I guess the steam sig people are having fun on April Fool's.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    When you have to turn down a party member due to being full, do they fuck off for good? Garrick seemed to walk into the Inn and vanish.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    When you have to turn down a party member due to being full, do they fuck off for good? Garrick seemed to walk into the Inn and vanish.

I think so, in BG1. But you're not missing anything by passing on Garrick.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Options
    Bugger. Having to blindly choose on whether to kick out an existing member for an unknown quantity isn't great. I mean I'm sure I'll be getting rid of these evil chaps soon but currently I said I'd take them somewhere and have had no reason to renege on my word. Their only crime so far is having the wrong word on their character sheet!

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    Bugger. Having to blindly choose on whether to kick out an existing member for an unknown quantity isn't great. I mean I'm sure I'll be getting rid of these evil chaps soon but currently I said I'd take them somewhere and have had no reason to renege on my word. Their only crime so far is having the wrong word on their character sheet!

BG Tweaks fixes this problem by adding a dialogue line which lets you decide where you want them to go after kicking them out of the party. Solves the problem of needing a rogue to unlock the entirety of Durlag's Tower without having to permanently lose a valued party member.

• Options
    This is such bullshit. Come across Minsc who I know from reputation I want in the party. Talking him gives me two options. Take him here and now and thus lose another party member, or be attacked by him. Middle ground please!

I take it Xzar and Montaron are going to trigger something now we're at Nashkal where they've been asking to go? Guess I'll boot them after that if they don't go on their own.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is such bullshit. Come across Minsc who I know from reputation I want in the party. Talking him gives me two options. Take him here and now and thus lose another party member, or be attacked by him. Middle ground please!

I take it Xzar and Montaron are going to trigger something now we're at Nashkal where they've been asking to go? Guess I'll boot them after that if they don't go on their own.

Do you have Khalid and Jaheira in your party? If you do, and you keep Xzar and Monty around long enough (through the end of the Nashkel Mines),
    Xzar and Montaron will reveal themselves to be agents of the Zhentarim, come to investigate reports of Zhentish banditry and the blame they've been getting over the Iron Crisis. Khalid and Jaheira, likewise, are there as Harpers investigating whether or not this is a Zhentish plot.

The duos then square off and fight each other.

My suggestion? Either ignore Minsc for now (if you want to see what happens with Xzar and Monty) or boot the duo and grab Minsc, head to the Gnoll Fort, and rescue his witch. You'll then have the Canon Party™, which isn't a bad group to go through the game with, all told.

Edit: You can get Minsc any time. He never goes away.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    So. Barbarian run started. Going Spears/Bow primary because my love of polearms outweighs the mechanical benefits of dual wielding on this character. Crits during 'zerker rage (with Strength in the 20s) is well... absurd. I can't wait till I get the Impailer later in the game (unless item revisions nerfs the hell out of it). Gonna have to decide between 2H Swords or Halberds for later points.

There's also something to be said for the laughable number of HP. On top of the damage resistance I'll gain later in the game. But that's later. I originally thought about dual-ing to Thief later but.... nah. This Bhaalspawn is a woman scorned and she shall have her fury and revenge and rage.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Looking at the item list for Item Revisions, Impaler hasn't really been changed all that much. It's now a hybrid weapon that you can choose to throw (Returning, obviously), and its straight up +10 damage is instead 1d10 damage. An acceptable tradeoff, in my book.

Though, man... Spears are only d8 damage? That seems lower than I remember, but then again I haven't used spears in a long long time.

Edit: Oh by the way, did you get your Item Revisions from the main Gibberlings3 site or from the IR forum? Because the one on the G3 site is years out of date and Demivrgvs hasn't uploaded any V3 build anywhere but the forum.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    G3. Have a link to the updated version?

• Options
    http://forums.gibberlings3.net/index.php?showtopic=22691

Biggest problem with using Version 2 on the G3 site is that it's so out of date will cause crashes with newer versions of some mods, including BGT.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    YogoYogo Registered User regular
    So. Barbarian run started. Going Spears/Bow primary because my love of polearms outweighs the mechanical benefits of dual wielding on this character. Crits during 'zerker rage (with Strength in the 20s) is well... absurd. I can't wait till I get the Impailer later in the game (unless item revisions nerfs the hell out of it). Gonna have to decide between 2H Swords or Halberds for later points.

There's also something to be said for the laughable number of HP. On top of the damage resistance I'll gain later in the game. But that's later. I originally thought about dual-ing to Thief later but.... nah. This Bhaalspawn is a woman scorned and she shall have her fury and revenge and rage.

Oh yeah. I have a barbarian run going as well (Half-orc with excellent stats - 19/18/19/12/10/10) and he is just wrecking chaos wherever he goes. Sadly he wasn't as lucky with the HP lottery as Kagain (68 hp vs 72), but his stats make up for it. Since I am using Full Plate and Packing Steel, I am already enjoying some resistance modifers and it is only going to get better when I get my innate resistances (though that won't happen while in BG1).

• Options
    Okay. So I'm not seeing why anyone would take a Berserker over a Barbarian with the exception of dual-classing.

Better rage and not being winded afterwards. Faster movement. Damage reduction and backstab immunity (lol Shadow Thieves). F'ing huge HP totals. And the ability to fire bows. Never forget bows.

All they lose is higher AC (though the 'zerker mail/hide armors have better resists) and grandmastery (which the greater rage beats).

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Spend an hour reinstalling BG2 and downloading/installing mods.

Realise you forgot to patch ToB.

Delete everything, play Batman.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    easytutu is what you're looking for

sig.gif
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    Or trinity.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    striderjg wrote: »
    Or trinity.
    Do you mean Trilogy? (BGT)

• Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Is there a way to remove the level cap in BG1 portion of BGT? I have a feeling I'm going to hit it way early.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    striderjgstriderjg Registered User regular
    ya, my bad:)

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    easytutu is...easier to setup. Trilogy runs through the whole thing seamlessly, in ET you will still launch BG2 seperately and import your save file.

I'd probably stick with easytutu and it's list of approved compatible mods.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Is there a way to remove the level cap in BG1 portion of BGT? I have a feeling I'm going to hit it way early.

I believe BGT does it by default, as I am way over the TOTSC xp cap in my playthrough, but I also have the BG2 Tweaks xp cap remover going, so maybe that's doing it too. It's easy enough to test in BG1 by consoling yourself in a couple million xp.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Yes.

Install BG + TOTSC, install official TOTSC patch
    Install BG2 + ToB, install official ToB patch

Make up a backup of these clean installs, also install them to a custom directory instead of programme files (just do C:/Black Isle/ or whatever)

I believe you now install tutu compatible mods (since BG1 will be running from BG2's engine so it needs to have the adjustments made), then you install tutu.

You should read the relevant topics in the forums at gibberlings3.net and pocketplane.net though.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Anyone know the official list of items you can carry over between BG1 --> BG2.
    And now that I have to reinstall because of the wrong version of Item Revisions and the wrong order placement of the Tweak Pack I'm half temped to do Trilogy... though I'm not as familiar with BG1.

• Options
    edited April 2012
    Does Tutu still lack all the original BG music and player character sound sets? I remember my first time playing BGT after playing BG1 solely through Tutu for ages and being blown away by all this music I'd never heard before.

Anyone know the official list of items you can carry over between BG1 --> BG2.
    And now that I have to reinstall because of the wrong version of Item Revisions and the wrong order placement of the Tweak Pack I'm half temped to do Trilogy... though I'm not as familiar with BG1.

http://forgottenwars.com/bg1/miscellany.htm

Check the part that says "Baldur's Gate II" and it says it.

If you grab the BGT Tweak Pack, there's an option to allow even more stuff into BG2.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    I made a party of chaotic neutral people

roaming around with a band of lunatics appeals to me

• Options
    Gnome CN party is even more fun

• Options
    You mean Halfling.

• Options
    WadeWilsonWadeWilson Registered User regular
    Bigity wrote: »
    Gnome CN party is even more fun

They wander the world searching for turnips and regaling each other stories that thier current predicament reminds them of.

• Options
    Some of the Jan/Kagain banters are freaking hilarious.

• Options
    Jan and Yoshimo have some really good ones too.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    I need to have Mazzy in my party this time through, I've never really used her.