As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition] PC version ETA Nov 30

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    I level 1 NPCed Mazzy into a shield user.

She is my tiny tank. :3

huntresssig.jpg
    korodullin wrote: »
    Minsc and Aerie make a good combo, especially in ToB. I always roll with at least one shield user as personal preference though, but that's just me.

Doesn't Minsc have a paucity of lines in ToB, though?

huntresssig.jpg
  • korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Arivia wrote: »
    I level 1 NPCed Mazzy into a shield user.

She is my tiny tank. :3

Oh, well! In that case you probably don't need a third melee then. Maybe Haer'Dalis instead, if you can stand him? He's still a damage-oriented meleer and only should be really counted as a half-mage.

Arivia wrote: »
    Minsc and Aerie make a good combo, especially in ToB. I always roll with at least one shield user as personal preference though, but that's just me.

Doesn't Minsc have a paucity of lines in ToB, though?

Everyone has a general lack of lines in ToB, but Minsc and Aerie have some lines together, and if you're using the Banter Pack then everyone has a lot more.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
    Yeah! I like Haer'Dalis. I just need to remember who I sold the melodic chain to...

huntresssig.jpg
    edited April 2012
    If worse comes to worst, console out about 5k gold and add the armor to someone's inventory.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    edited April 2012
    True enough. Ribald at the Adventurer's Mart has all of the random short swords I didn't need (which is really sad, since it's fucking-Ilbrathra-lost-across-the-width-of-Faerun, but still just wasn't needed)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
  • DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2012
    I think the biggest problem I had with ToB is that the big "plot twist" doesn't really work because you are railroaded as hell. There's not really any betrayal, because you have no options anywhere. The entire "quest" felt beneath my character, after the end of SoA. Hell, it feels like someone else's quest. Your character has no investment in it at all, its not like BG 2.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
    edited April 2012
    Personally, ToB works as an extension of how absurdly inevitable the entire BG plotline is. Playing through 2 again it's astonishing how many companions have asked if I wouldn't just like to settle down and it's like definitely, but holy crap all this shit goes on and it never ends

Between all of Alaundo's stuff and Elminster haunting the edges, it fits prophecy-laden event for the Realms very well. The only way it could have been worse would have been if they stuck some bits of the Roll of Years on there, but thank god they didn't.

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    The thing I DON'T like about ToB is how much they take a shit on Steven Schend's Lands of Intrigue stuff. SoA is really good at getting across the idea of the Sothilisian Rebellion, and all that just gets thrown out the window when they tried to up the stakes by having you fight an entire army. It's static and boring as shit.

huntresssig.jpg
    Since I don't feel like waiting for the next update:
    PzYc9sc0

Dradeel, by the way, was the semi-crazy mage you meet on the Isle of Balduran during Tales of the Sword Coast.

ZvOMJnu.png
    After looking into it, I'll keep Jaheira around until I meet Terminsel and then drop her for Haer'dalis.

huntresssig.jpg
    Terminwho?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    Elminster

Oh right. At first blush it looks like the name that some mod-added NPC would use.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Nah, just a smoke-addled old sage. ;)

huntresssig.jpg
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Am I the only one who likes Jaheira and Aerie? The characters, not the gameplay.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Nope, I like them too. Aerie is legit in gameplay as well though. Jaheria is a druid so.

Still, there's always insect swarm.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Jaheira is mai waifu. She's always been my favorite Bioware romance, as far as these things go. Aerie isn't bad either, but I haven't used her in a long time. I might use her next playthrough.

Never been a massive Viconia fan though.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    I've always liked Jaheira. She does have a forceful personality, but I felt that was fine.

Dear lord "NATURE TAKES BACK THE LIFE SHE GAVE" gets tiring, though.

• DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    I like Jaheira and Aerie, though Jaheira isn't very good. I use Aerie every time I play a "good" party.

The Aerie romance is creepy as fuck, though.

1208768734831.jpg
  • BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Jaheira would be better if shapeshifting in BG2 wasn't total crap. It should at least heal like it's supposed to, so you have a reason to occasionally change.

Am I the only one who likes Jaheira and Aerie? The characters, not the gameplay.

I really like them both, although Jaheira's Harper stuff in BG2 is very derpy. She's acting like a Moonstar, for crying out loud!

I sympathize with Aerie a lot more after having done some reading on the Avariel.

huntresssig.jpg
  • FandaFanda Hang a shining star upon the highest boughRegistered User regular
    I think Aerie gets knocked undeservedly for "whining". Considering what she's been through, it's a marvel that she's even a semi-functional person, let alone mastering two types of magic and devoting her life to helping the less fortunate. If I were kept in a sow stall until my limbs became gangrenous and were sawn off by my captors, I don't think I would bounce back that well. And I'd definitely outwhine Aerie by a country mile. My shrill bleats of self-pity would rattle every window in Amn.

Jaheira I'd like better if her alignment wasn't totally ridiculous. My fondest memory on that score was the time in BG2 when you find Neb's hideout. She insists we execute him and bring his head to the authorities, so that's what we do. Reputation increase. Jaheira: "I hope this is not a sign of things to come; we must strive to maintain balance."

Fine, lady, have it your way. We'll bind and gag the next street urchin we come across and drop them off in front of the tanner's shop in the bridge district. Does that satisfy your finely-tuned moral code, you lunatic?

(Still love her, though.)

Fanda wrote: »
    I think Aerie gets knocked undeservedly for "whining". Considering what she's been through, it's a marvel that she's even a semi-functional person, let alone mastering two types of magic and devoting her life to helping the less fortunate. If I were kept in a sow stall until my limbs became gangrenous and were sawn off by my captors, I don't think I would bounce back that well. And I'd definitely outwhine Aerie by a country mile. My shrill bleats of self-pity would rattle every window in Amn.

The cut content from Spellhold for Aerie is pretty insane, if you haven't read what happens.
    Basically, Aerie's only kept herself going all these years in the hopes that she could some day fix her wings and fly again, rejoining her kin. When you find out through some of Irenicus' research in Spellhold that it's basically impossible to repair her wings, she simply loses her mind. If you can't manage to talk her out of it (by being in a romance or otherwise), she kills herself by leaping off a balcony into the rocks below.

ZvOMJnu.png
    I without blinking swapped Jaheira over to NG when I was given the option, it just fits her moral code so much better. So much.

And yeah, it seems like between that and some of the other stuff about cut content Spellhold, that at one point it was even darker and crazier than it turned out to be *shudder*

huntresssig.jpg
    The aftermath of Spellhold reminds me a lot of the end of Chapter 3 in Final Fantasy Tactics. You've achieved a significant victory over your tormentor but everything else has gone straight to shit. There's bodies everywhere and you're left to wander the completely empty asylum taking stock of your losses and grasping for any new leads to give you a reason to keep moving forward and there's just this oppressively somber mood in the area.

ZvOMJnu.png
    Yeah, Spellhold is just really expertly crafted.
    I know I'm going to be dropping Haer'Dalis and taking Yoshimo to swap out for Imoen, because really, how could you not to contribute to that.

huntresssig.jpg
    I'm coming up on the end of Windspear Hills, which means I'm going to have to
    drop someone in my party for Yoshi pretty soon. I'll probably be Jan, since I've exhausted most of his best banters and Mazzy's been the one getting the boot for quest-related NPCs for too long.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • DeaderinredDeaderinred Registered User regular
    Fanda wrote: »

The cut content from Spellhold for Aerie is pretty insane, if you haven't read what happens.
    Basically, Aerie's only kept herself going all these years in the hopes that she could some day fix her wings and fly again, rejoining her kin. When you find out through some of Irenicus' research in Spellhold that it's basically impossible to repair her wings, she simply loses her mind. If you can't manage to talk her out of it (by being in a romance or otherwise), she kills herself by leaping off a balcony into the rocks below.

surprised that hasn't been modded back in.

• RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    I believe I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere. I got a quest to head south with the necromancer and the fighter/thief and I ran in to some skeletons. And then some Ghasts.
    That was a quick death. D:

edited April 2012
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I believe I may have taken a wrong turn somewhere. I got a quest to head south with the necromancer and the fighter/thief and I ran in to some skeletons. And then some Ghasts.
    That was a quick death. D:

I think you took the wrong way and ended up at High Hedge instead. Go back to where you met Xzar and Montaron and head north to the Friendly Arms Inn instead. (Like Gorion told you to.)

Arivia on
    huntresssig.jpg
    That is indeed where I ended up. I killed the mage in the keep and ran away before the flesh golems could turn me in to a red paste on the ground.

• BigityBigity Lubbock, TXRegistered User regular
    Don't kill him, he's your source for magic scrolls until you get into Baldur's Gate :D

Y... you killed Thalantyr? D:

If someone's not hostile in BG1 or doesn't go hostile after a quick speech, you generally don't want to kill them.

ZvOMJnu.png
    But his golems pissed me off. :(

He is your only source of magic for 2/3 of the game, and even then he sells stuff Baldur's Gate never stocks.

I highly suggest reloading a save and not killing him.

And what did his golems do? They generally just stay in the back of the keep and don't do anything.

ZvOMJnu.png
    They killed me the first time I walked in there.

edited April 2012
    That's odd, you shouldn't even see them unless you go poking around in the back. I think you can kill them (Flesh Golems aren't too terribly bad for a level 2 or 3 party) and Thalantyr won't go hostile though.

Edit: Also, I don't know what the fuck SCS is doing on the second level of the Windspear Hills dungeon, but it's laggy as hell for some reason. I dread to see what is causing it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    That's odd, you shouldn't even see them unless you go poking around in the back. I think you can kill them (Flesh Golems aren't too terribly bad for a level 2 or 3 party) and Thalantyr won't go hostile though.

Edit: Also, I don't know what the fuck SCS is doing on the second level of the Windspear Hills dungeon, but it's laggy as hell for some reason. I dread to see what is causing it.

Firkraag has kids. :rotate:

huntresssig.jpg
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    I always kill him after I've bought the stuff I want that doesn't drop from his corpse.

Because he has loot.

Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif