As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Any bills ever passed without a single Democrat voting yes?

Ziac45Ziac45 Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Help / Advice Forum
Was debating with a hardcore conservative friend of mine and this came up, I did some googling but really had no luck finding solid numbers any help would be great.

Also are there any percentages for Welfare fraud out there? He seems to think its over 1/3rd of the people on it and I can't imagine it being that high.

Ziac45 on

• Options
    gearngearn __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Probably not, it's easy to force a democrat to vote yes even when they don't want to.

gearn on
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Possibly. This will show you every Congressional vote since 1991.

http://projects.washingtonpost.com/congress/

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ziac45 wrote: »
    Was debating with a hardcore conservative friend of mine and this came up, I did some googling but really had no luck finding solid numbers any help would be great.

Also are there any percentages for Welfare fraud out there? He seems to think its over 1/3rd of the people on it and I can't imagine it being that high.

As far as welfare fraud, have him define "fraud". If we then abolish welfare, what does he plan on doing with the 2/3rd of people who aren't using it fraudulently? You also need to dispel the notion that welfare queens exist, because they don't.

For the most part, federal welfare doesn't exist and to the extent that it does takes up way less than 1% of the yearly budget. Welfare is mostly handled at the state level.

YodaTuna on
  • Options
    DjeetDjeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No party votes No as a group as well as the GOP. It's priciple, not partisanship. :P

I think most of the fraud (in $) w/r/to entitlement programs are by those who are gaming the system to receive Medicare/Social Security payments as opposed to people pretending to be poor to obtain need-based assistance.

Djeet on
  • Options
    Mr. PovondraMr. Povondra Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The deficit reduction act of 2005 was passed by as thin a margin as possible with every Democrat in Congress and several moderate Republicans voting against. I'm sure that there are many other similar examples.

In the House and in the Senate.

Mr. Povondra on